Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Does the PMA-5 totally fake 808/909/303 combo count?

drat diggity it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
You guys!

Thanks to goons Pale Sickly Trevor and the thread's own WAFFLEHOUND, I now own my first hardware synths you guys! A Volca Beats and a Moog Slim Phatty. Two in one week! :yayclod:

Between this and retrogaming (and photography and oh God I've forgotten what other expensive hobbies I have)... :homebrew: :retrogames: :smith:

Obligatory content(?): So is the "Little Phatty Editor Librarian" basically the same app as the VST Little Phatty Editor for Windows, but the former is in standalone form and the latter is a VST? Somehow Moog have managed to make this unclear. Like, only one includes "librarian" in the title, so does the standalone Little Phatty Editor Librarian have the same functionality as the VST but also does more than the VST does?

Not only that, but the description on the VST app's page also mentions: "NOTE: A Stand-Alone version of the editor is included along with the plug-in versions." Does this mean it includes a standalone version of the VST, or includes the standalone version of the, uh, standalone Little Phatty Editor Librarian app?

Both of these things are $69.00 USD from Moog and if I don't need to buy both, I'd rather not. I've also read a bunch of posts on the Moog Music Forum (and vaguely recall some other chatter here) that either the standalone app is terrible, the VST is terrible, or both. And maybe one or more of them is made by Sound Tower, and other people have said the Sound Tower apps for the Little Phatty/Slim Phatty line are terrible?! I'M SO CONFUSED.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
So I just found the Syntorial. I've been working through the demo so far and it's been incredibly helpful :swoon:

Still working through the demo stages and it's really helping me dial in a sound way more than anything else I've found. I've started going from totally random guess to at least guessing in the general ballpark. Have any of you guys check this out beyond the demo?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

minidracula posted:

Both of these things are $69.00 USD from Moog and if I don't need to buy both, I'd rather not. I've also read a bunch of posts on the Moog Music Forum (and vaguely recall some other chatter here) that either the standalone app is terrible, the VST is terrible, or both. And maybe one or more of them is made by Sound Tower, and other people have said the Sound Tower apps for the Little Phatty/Slim Phatty line are terrible?! I'M SO CONFUSED.

Glad you like it! Just get the VST you'll want it anyways. You'll also probably want to reset the patches to eliminate my lovely attempts at making a psytrance bassline with a Moog.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
For those of y'all that don't know, our buddy relative q had an aneurysm a few days ago and is in a pretty bad place. The direct relevance to the synth thread is that Neutron Sound, a.k.a. DeFeX of Chill Productions will be donating 50% of this weekend's sales of his new eurorack DIY modular, the Orgone Accumulator, to relative q's benefit. Time period is from midnight this morning through midnight Monday night!.

http://neutron-sound.com/noa.html

If you were ever going to buy one of these things, now would be a very nice time to do so.

If you want to help out but don't need an Orgone Accumulator, both yospos and his family have gofundme sites set up to help with medical bills:

http://www.gofundme.com/relativeq
http://www.gofundme.com/bq51b4

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

minidracula posted:

I've also read a bunch of posts on the Moog Music Forum (and vaguely recall some other chatter here) that either the standalone app is terrible, the VST is terrible, or both. And maybe one or more of them is made by Sound Tower, and other people have said the Sound Tower apps for the Little Phatty/Slim Phatty line are terrible?! I'M SO CONFUSED.

I bought the VST and it just plain didn't work until Logic X came along and I was forced to switch to 64-bit. I haven't worked with it much because I didn't use it when I first bought it, so I never developed a taste for it, but so far it seems okay.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Random semi-relevant videos afoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzsBu9vx98Q Somebody actually, finally made a short tutorial video on the PreenFM2 after all this time! That somebody...was the creator behind the lot of it. Better late than never I suppose, heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9AaOkU1WZs Those crazy Plogue dudes are apparently about to launch The Emperor of All Speech Synth Chips---in synth form.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9AaOkU1WZs Those crazy Plogue dudes are apparently about to launch The Emperor of All Speech Synth Chips---in synth form.
Fuuuuuuuuukin rad.

Plogue doesn't get nearly enough attention. They've done some amazing stuff.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Fuuuuuuuuukin rad.

Plogue doesn't get nearly enough attention. They've done some amazing stuff.
Agreed! But in my case I think I own everything they've put out under their own banner (i.e., none of their stuff done for Garritan). Bidule, chipsounds, chipcrusher, sforzando. Coincidentally, I visited their site earlier this week to check for Bidule updates (and there were some), but their site nor their dev blog had any mention of this new hotness. I guess they posted this link to the video on Twitter, or Facebook, or Google+, or something?

If this thing comes out soon I'll be really psyched. It's well-timed to play along with my Vocaloid experiments.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like it got a mention on the main Plogue site back on July 18, so you must've just missed it. No further details beyond what is there in the little video description though.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The first allegedly real Rhythm Wolf demo is up on SoundCloud. The guy who posted it is an Akai employee.

https://soundcloud.com/whenmuppetsattak/rhythm-wolf

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Radiapathy posted:

The first allegedly real Rhythm Wolf demo is up on SoundCloud. The guy who posted it is an Akai employee.

https://soundcloud.com/whenmuppetsattak/rhythm-wolf
Is it just me or does it sound a lot more impressive as a bass synth than a drum machine?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is it just me or does it sound a lot more impressive as a bass synth than a drum machine?

The snare is miles better than the one on the volca beats (not a high bar to clear) and the bass synth sounds super usable. On the other hand, the hats sound really lo-fi in that clip which isn't bad but is't as usable as I'd like, the "percussion" sound I'm on the fence about since it wasn't really featured much outside of a claves sound, but the bass drum just sounds loving atrocious. Hopefully the sound issues are because it was recorded on the mic-in and a proper run through isolating the various voices will dictate if I'm getting this or the volca and a soldering iron.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 22, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The organizing of patterns and songs and etc on the Machinedrum has finally clicked in my brain and I'm upset it took me this long to understand it. Hardware is strange.

If the Ryhtm Wolf demo is legit it sounds better as an acid box than as a drum machine although like mentioned above it might be better once we hear a demo that isn't just a line in on a Mac.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I don't suppose anyone saved that Rhythm Wolf demo? It seems to already be gone

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My guess is that it's not nearly finished, or a poor representation of the finished product is why they took it down

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My guess is that the Rhythm Wolf doesn't actually exist, it's a mass shared hallucination.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Maybe it's gonna be a piece of poo poo

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

toadee posted:

I don't suppose anyone saved that Rhythm Wolf demo? It seems to already be gone
Dang that was fast. Hope the guy didn't get in trouble.

Anyway, the drums reminded me of the ancient Space Invaders type analog beatmakers they made for accompanying gigging musicians. (In other words, daddy like.)

The bass was 303ish, particularly when the "howl" mode was engaged, which appears to be an angry resonance boost on the filter. I thought it sounded pretty gritty and cool.

EDIT: The SoundCloud is gone but there's a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh56cEx2r2o

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Um yeah for $200 that's a pretty easy buy decision

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

My guess is that the Rhythm Wolf doesn't actually exist, it's a mass shared hallucination.

Going with this theory. Synthesized memories! :tinfoil:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: The SoundCloud is gone but there's a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh56cEx2r2o

Ok, the hats are now better than I was hoping for, the snare is loving perfect, the bass synth is still great, and the percussion sound works really well with the rest of the machine.

The bass drum is better than the soundcloud demo but it's still sounds a bit thin to me. Not a huge deal since I'm still getting an A4 and now totally waiting for this over the volca, even if they jack the price up to $300.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah the snare rules in that video and the bass has a nice growl to it but I'm still not sure I'm sold on it. I'm sure I could do worse for my first hardware drum machine, but after watching that video/listening to the SoundCloud demo, I'm not inspired to plop down a few hundred bucks on one.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Maybe it's gonna be a piece of poo poo

This is my guess.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Any further news on relative_q?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

Any further news on relative_q?

Two days ago:

quote:

Just got in to see Paul and get the update from last night's examinations. They didn't test him as long because his BP and heart rate spiked, and the nurse reported him being extremely uncomfortable. As I came in today, they were examining him, but under sedation. He is still responding as he did before the seizures and continual rest, and still no response from his legs, feet, and toes. Shivering has pretty much stopped, but his temp is still up. He is still being monitored for seizure activity via the EEG, but like before there hasn't been any yet.

Latest:

quote:

Last night was uneventful for Paul, but the updates we get keep saying he is not enjoying the examination process, but who would? His temp was up before I stepped out for a few. Propofol doses have been reduced and he has been coming to for a very brief time more often. It happened earlier when he had the hiccups.

We are limited to two visitors at a time today and most of the time Paul's dad and I are with him so maybe just keep it to hang outs in the family lounge today. Your positive energy and presence is important to him and to me.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Uneventful is good! He'll be back to shitposting strength in no time. :unsmith:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
After playing with the Minibrute and ms20 mini for a couple of hours at the store, I have to say that I'm disillusioned about the analogue / VA divide. I failed to find anything magical about the sound that I could not reproduce on the KingKorg.

Also my coworker brought me his old K1m, and is it ever digital sounding.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Some good news!

quote:

Paul's father, Luke, informed me this morning that Paul very well might be taken off the ventilator tomorrow granted his breathing remains good like it has been today! Best news I could have hoped to see today.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

This has so far turned out to be a year of surprises:

- Waldorf actually released 64-bit versions of their remaining 32-bit-only plugins.
- The Rhythm Wolf is apparently not vaporware.
- M-Audio released a piece of hardware that I'm actually interested in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGR2HfZ0KCY

That Trigger Finger Pro thing is what I always wanted Maschine to be: A hardware step sequencer with 16 pads.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Where the hell do I talk about my SuperCollider obsession on this godforsaken forum?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

a_big_dog posted:

Where the hell do I talk about my SuperCollider obsession on this godforsaken forum?
Here would be fine with me. We could hang, bro out.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

minidracula posted:

Here would be fine with me. We could hang, bro out.

Let's hang!

So I'm obsessed. Been doing a bunch of YouTube tutorials, and got myself the SuperCollider book, and I'm tearing into it. It's a lot simpler than I thought - I'm a web developer by trade, so I guess that helps a lot with the ease of learning syntax.

If you've any essential tutorials or articles for a beginner, let me know!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I have no tutorials but I have to say Cylob's custom music system has always made me want to take the plunge into Super Collider http://durftal.com/cms/cylobmusicsystem.html

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, I'm in. And it's open source!

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

These tutorials here are really good:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPYzvS8A_rTaNDweXe6PX4CXSGq4iEWYC

W424
Oct 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

Also my coworker brought me his old K1m, and is it ever digital sounding.

I have one too, it's also really easy to circuit bend. I used mine today on a song after a long time, it's pretty grim.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

W424 posted:

I have one too, it's also really easy to circuit bend. I used mine today on a song after a long time, it's pretty grim.

Do you have schematics?

I can't imagine using it in its current state. The noise and sample rate aliasing are pretty nasty. The only cool thing about it is the pitch aliasing that happens during a fast pitch bend. Sounds like Nintendo, except there aren't any nice sounding pulse waves.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Wow these tutorials are really great and give me a decent understanding of a software I've otherwise just kind of fiddled with. With the timbre of some of the tones the sound generation makes you can definitely pick out songs Aphex Twin most likely used SC on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Wow these tutorials are really great and give me a decent understanding of a software I've otherwise just kind of fiddled with. With the timbre of some of the tones the sound generation makes you can definitely pick out songs Aphex Twin most likely used SC on

Definitely - I've already written a thing to sort-of emulate this Jim O'Rourke track which almost certainly uses SC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZD-MBRMU0 - which was kinda the reason I wanted to jump in.