Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I was under the impression most of the valuable natural resources in China are mostly in Xinjiang, Tibet, and Mongolia? Like China itself isn't actually all that resource rich? It's not like they don't have a motive to insist Tibet has always been part of China besides simply being cartoon villains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

China is super weird about its borders and history. I don't know why they need to create a false history going back centuries to excuse their current borders. Countries grow, shink, fracture, it's normal. Why does china need this idea that it's borders and national identity were set in stone the moment the earth began to form from cosmic dust?

It's like if France had conquered and held europe back in Napoleonic times and then claimed europe was and always will be a united civilization with set borders and used that time 200 years previously when the germans had sort of conquered europe as evidence that "europe" is a country and "france" and "denmark" are just provinces within and all those previous great european wars were in fact internal civil wars over leadership of the great nation of europe.

This actually happens alot. For example, the people who call themselves Hungarians have no relation to the Huns.

China is not claiming the the vast territory of the Mongol empire though so your analogue is not close.

I recently read (listen) to Robert Kaplan's Asia's Cauldron. It's about the South China Sea. The way I see it, basically the resource in the ocean, its pretty much nobody's property. It's no difference from the resource on the moon or the natural resource buried under the arctics. Countries signed some treaties that try to split the resources between different coastal nations. A bunch of countries has not signed it, and everybody who has signed it declare the treaty doesn't apply to their disputed territories. So basically the blue sea is a land rush. China's goal is trying to turn South China Sea into its own Caribbean.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 22, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

I was under the impression most of the valuable natural resources in China are mostly in Xinjiang, Tibet, and Mongolia? Like China itself isn't actually all that resource rich? It's not like they don't have a motive to insist Tibet has always been part of China besides simply being cartoon villains

Some yes, some no.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

whatever7 posted:

This actually happens alot. For example, the people who call themselves Hungarians have no relation to the Huns.

Actually they call themselves Magyars

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

China is super weird about its borders and history. I don't know why they need to create a false history going back centuries to excuse their current borders. Countries grow, shink, fracture, it's normal. Why does china need this idea that it's borders and national identity were set in stone the moment the earth began to form from cosmic dust?

It's like if France had conquered and held europe back in Napoleonic times and then claimed europe was and always will be a united civilization with set borders and used that time 200 years previously when the germans had sort of conquered europe as evidence that "europe" is a country and "france" and "denmark" are just provinces within and all those previous great european wars were in fact internal civil wars over leadership of the great nation of europe.

You could almost call it a Manifest Destiny!

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Some yes, some no.

What's the source of this map? I was looking for this very thing a few weeks ago but couldn't find any that were as legible.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farecoal posted:

Actually they call themselves Magyars

Well they call their country Hungary.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

whatever7 posted:

Magyarország.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

whatever7 posted:

Actually it is called, Magyarország (beaten). The Hungarians did originate from Finn-Ugric nomads that raided Central Europe during the 10th and 11th centuries though (Huns were hundreds of years earlier).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 22, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

whatever7 posted:

I'll save you your next post and tell you that the language is also called Magyar.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Which is why its language is (not that I have personal experience) similar to Finnish and Estonian.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Freudian posted:

Magyarország.

I read it on a Central Asia lecture series so I will dig up the exact quote and post it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Smeef posted:

What's the source of this map? I was looking for this very thing a few weeks ago but couldn't find any that were as legible.

It's from Wikipedia, I'm not sure where the data itself comes from but it appears to be from 1983.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Economic_maps_of_China

Here's a map of coal reserves in China

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

whatever7 posted:

I read it on a Central Asia lecture series so I will dig up the exact quote and post it.

It will be wrong, but knock yourself out champ.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
do you having hungary?

no, i have turkey, is okay

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
i have turkey but it's covered with greece :(

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

computer parts posted:

Some yes, some no.

This map doesn't really illustrate the importance of Tibet as a freshwater reserve. The tibetan basin is the origin point of the mekong too.

edit: Freshwater to China is arguably more important than oil. It's the sort of thing that's actually worth fighting a protracted war over and will become more important in the future. The likelihood of Tibet gaining independence is somewhere from zero to none.

Modus Operandi fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 23, 2014

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

computer parts posted:

Because their land (including the stuff that actually was part of China for thousands of years) was almost divided up in a colonialist squabble.

Apparently there's actually a strong contingent of people who believe in the PRC solely because they think an authoritarian state is the only thing that can keep China together.

China is one of the few non-western countries that didn't come under western colonial rule.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

dilbertschalter posted:

China is one of the few non-western countries that didn't come under western colonial rule.

Don't tell a Chinese person that.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dilbertschalter posted:

China...Thailand....Iran... Ethiopia... all have very interesting way to develop their states to modernity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dilbertschalter posted:

Only because they weren't called colonies, they were "concessions".

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys how about Japan!

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

computer parts posted:

Only because they weren't called colonies, they were "concessions".

Getting parts of the country detached and being forced to grant foreigners various privileges is completely different than coming under direct or even indirect colonial rule, which is what happened to the vast majority of the world.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

dilbertschalter posted:

Getting parts of the country detached and being forced to grant foreigners various privileges is completely different than coming under direct or even indirect colonial rule, which is what happened to the vast majority of the world.

Was colonialism ever a good thing?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

caberham posted:

It was great if you wanted to sell your product to a protected market or perform raw mineral extraction from a distant land.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Acemoglu and some other econometricians have a pretty famous (by econometrics standards) paper that argues quite convincingly that colonial settler mortality rates explain current economic performance. The logic is that lower mortality rates led to colonists establishing long-term institutions; higher mortality rates encouraged them to create extractive institutions that have persisted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

Hong Kong.

Your move. :smug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

Hong Kong.

No see, we just said that wasn't colonial rule.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

computer parts posted:

Colonial rule of Hong Kong and the various concessions are is the same thing as colonial rule of literally all of China, there's no need to keep reaching in defense of a dubious argument in the first place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dilbertschalter posted:

Colonial rule of Hong Kong and the various concessions are is the same thing as colonial rule of literally all of China, there's no need to keep reaching in defense of a dubious argument in the first place.

My argument is that the Chinese have historically bad memories regarding having their territory taken away and the existence of Hong Kong proves that fact, you're the one who misinterpreted in the first place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

computer parts posted:

Sure it was. China as a whole was never under colonial rule, but parts of it were. Macao, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Port Arthur, the other concessions I can't remember offhand (Xiamen?), and then Manchukuo was the big one.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Hong Kong.

If you were white.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

computer parts posted:

My argument is that the Chinese have historically bad memories regarding having their territory taken away and the existence of Hong Kong proves that fact, you're the one who misinterpreted in the first place.

Your said:

"Because their land (including the stuff that actually was part of China for thousands of years) was almost divided up in a colonialist squabble."

When the areas that have provoked the fiercest territorial disputes China is involved in right have basically been terra nullius up to the 20th century.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, in any real sense, Hong Kong was merely the headquarters of a boarder colonial system of trade concessions.

It is like saying Cape Town is representative of Britain's legacy in South Africa.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

China doesn't see any meaningful distinction between Japan and The West here, does it? Western colonialism was peanuts compared to the Japs marching in and burning half the country to the ground, and Japan is clearly not a western country. Where does Taiwan fit into this? I mean, I'm assuming there is no coherent thought here and it's just CCP officials stirring up nationalism to deflect criticism without rhyme or reason, but maybe not?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ardennes posted:

Also, in any real sense, Hong Kong was merely the headquarters of a boarder colonial system of trade concessions.

It is like saying Cape Town is representative of Britain's legacy in South Africa.

This is British preferred style of colonization anyway, having a very weak local ruler to do the dirty job for them. The Brits didn't want to rule India directly but after the up rising they lost their puppet kings. Once they ruled India directly they found out it was more profitable that way.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Sure it was. China as a whole was never under colonial rule, but parts of it were. Macao, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Port Arthur, the other concessions I can't remember offhand (Xiamen?), and then Manchukuo was the big one.

You don't need to control the body of the dragon when you can control the head. Those ports were arguably the lifeblood of trade and controlling them is the same as controlling the country. Most of China was not administered directly through colonialism but it was in fact colonized by proxy.

Most of the Brits and other colonizing empires wisely decided that it wasn't worthwhile to try and micromanage the people. The reason why is that China was a big and complex shithole at the time and beyond the scope of most administrators. It was easier to control the resource extraction points, circle wagons, and call it a day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dilbertschalter posted:

When the areas that have provoked the fiercest territorial disputes China is involved in right have basically been terra nullius up to the 20th century.

Obviously I wasn't talking about the land under dispute right now (neither was the post I was quoting).

The areas that involved the fiercest debates were undoubtedly part of China since there has been a China.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

I don't think Japs is the preferred nomenclature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

computer parts posted:

Obviously I wasn't talking about the land under dispute right now (neither was the post I was quoting).

The areas that involved the fiercest debates were undoubtedly part of China since there has been a China.

Yes, but that doesn't explain China's current attitude about borders, which is very much the subject of discussion! There are many countries that came under full colonial rule that don't go around pathologically lying about historical borders and claiming territory they never ruled.