Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Damnit -- I embarked on a gorgeous tile, and dug my fortress entrance into the side of a bluff directly in front of a cascading waterfall. And then in year 1 was seiged by a single zombie (?) that killed everyone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

but then

I thought maybe his sister would inherit the throne now, but there was no popup message this time, no fanfare. The king was simply replaced by my chief medical dwarf. He isn't related to anybody noteworthy. He certainly isn't a member of the royal bloodline.

I guess he's just king now. That's just how that works.

Maybe succession only works correctly when the king dies in the world, rather than when he dies in his workshop screaming about wool cloth.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Damnit -- I embarked on a gorgeous tile, and dug my fortress entrance into the side of a bluff directly in front of a cascading waterfall. And then in year 1 was seiged by a single zombie (?) that killed everyone :(

I'm having a lovely mental image of one dwarf running into the hovelcave screaming "SIEGE!!!!" The others wait inside while he peers outside to see the one zombie charging Python-Lancelot-style.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thingyman posted:

If you're on Windows 8, "windows key + prtsc" will save the capture to a Screenshots folder in My Pictures.

For windows 7 (and vista, and probably 8 too if you want to crop something) you can use snipping tool. Bind it to a hotkey and go hog wild. Or press win then type snipp then press enter. After about a second your screen should grey out select the area you want and then press save. Its a ton faster then MS paint, and you can crop out part of a window if you just need a dialog box or something. It does have a max size in windows 7 that is pretty easy to hit if you are trying to go across multiple monitors though.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Mu. posted:

I guess he's just king now. That's just how that works.

Maybe succession only works correctly when the king dies in the world, rather than when he dies in his workshop screaming about wool cloth.

I don't think dwarven succession checks anything but eldest living child. There's no notion of dynastic continuity--if you check the history files any given monarchy is a long chain of "new lines" occasionally broken by someone who actually managed to get married and pop out a kid who didn't die.

In all other circumstances kings are apparently chosen via spin the bottle.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

pixaal posted:

For windows 7 (and vista, and probably 8 too if you want to crop something) you can use snipping tool. Bind it to a hotkey and go hog wild. Or press win then type snipp then press enter. After about a second your screen should grey out select the area you want and then press save. Its a ton faster then MS paint, and you can crop out part of a window if you just need a dialog box or something. It does have a max size in windows 7 that is pretty easy to hit if you are trying to go across multiple monitors though.

Pffh, handling files? Just Ctrl-Alt-PrintScr to capture the contents of the window (be it fullscreen or not), then Ctrl-V in Imgur's upload window. Faster than lightning.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

scamtank posted:

Also, df-structures status:

:flashfap:

Not knowing anything about how this stuff works, does this mean that they have to do this process all over again for 40.04 or whatever Toady settles on for the next couple years, or will the update likely work with the latest version regardless? I want to use DFHack but I'd rather use the very buggy 40.04 instead of the GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY buggy 40.01.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Not knowing anything about how this stuff works, does this mean that they have to do this process all over again for 40.04 or whatever Toady settles on for the next couple years, or will the update likely work with the latest version regardless? I want to use DFHack but I'd rather use the very buggy 40.04 instead of the GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY buggy 40.01.

Nah once they get the memory mapped for the 2014 version it shouldn't be too difficult to keep it updated between bugfix versions.

I'm pretty sure anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It'll still take some time but way less time than it's currently taking.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, jumping from one minor version number to another is just a matter of running the automatic offset checkers and stamp the new hashes on the package if nothing goes off. 2-3 days in the v.34 times.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Cool, that's good to know, thanks.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Having finally decapitated a night creature that had taken most of the day to defeat,my adventurer decided to get some sleep.I thought if you were up a tree you were safe from bogeymen.I was wrong.

The next 1200 announcements were "The Bogeyman kicks/punches/bites you",with an occassional "You are having more trouble breathing!".I was pressing enter over and over and the red text just kept going.The sweet release of death finally came from a punch that made his upper body explode into gore.Have bogeymen been weakened?I've never seen them take this long to kill someone before.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hate bogeymen. I generate all my worlds without them if I remember to.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

scamtank posted:

Pffh, handling files? Just Ctrl-Alt-PrintScr to capture the contents of the window (be it fullscreen or not), then Ctrl-V in Imgur's upload window. Faster than lightning.

You are assuming you don't want a local copy for some reason though, or that you are trying to share the document. With snipping you can also just copy it after, again depending on if you need to crop part of the window or not. Sure most cases for Dwarf Fortress are probably for this thread, but sometimes I like to make a little document detailing my fortress so I don't forget what the gently caress I was planning if real life gets in the way and I can't play for a week.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

GreyPowerVan posted:

If I was to do a Masterwork LP, what would you people who are interested in Masterwork like to see? I assume you all know how to get a fortress up and running, so would you want me to focus on the changes or...?

How to set the bloody thing up, mostly. There still seems to be that entire 'if you don't know how this all works gently caress you n00b scrub you don't deserve to know' attitude over on the official forums.

Even an idiots guide to changing the font/text/graphics/whatever back to the default DF one would be great. I can barely focus on the defualt masterwork one, literal. It's almost impossible for me to see.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

GreyPowerVan posted:

Best way to take full-screen images from Dwarf Fortress?

There's also 'export local image' during gameplay (esc menu) which gives you various options for exporting (absolutely huge) screenshots of whatever layer/s you want.

If you're doing something like a timelapse, it's fairly easy to export layers like this, and then run a macro to crop them all exactly the same (and optionally add them to the animation file itself as a new layer).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

King Doom posted:

How to set the bloody thing up, mostly. There still seems to be that entire 'if you don't know how this all works gently caress you n00b scrub you don't deserve to know' attitude over on the official forums.

Even an idiots guide to changing the font/text/graphics/whatever back to the default DF one would be great. I can barely focus on the defualt masterwork one, literal. It's almost impossible for me to see.

Now see, I'd be playing on either the default Masterwork tileset or the Phoebus one. What's so bad about the default tileset?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

King Doom posted:

Go into init.txt and scroll down until you see something along the lines of windowed font or fullscreen font and change the file to your desired font/tileset in the art folder. I may be completely wrong about this though, I don't normally use stuff other than what's included with graphics sets

E: also zooming in past a certain point should make it switch to the default truetype

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 22, 2014

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Now see, I'd be playing on either the default Masterwork tileset or the Phoebus one. What's so bad about the default tileset?

Using the bog standard Toady made and gives this one away free DF is fine, I can see that. The default stuff on masterwork I can't focus on properly. The letters are too thin. I'm not being dramatic, I genuinely do have problems even seeing the start menu when you use masterwork to open DF.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Doom posted:

Using the bog standard Toady made and gives this one away free DF is fine, I can see that. The default stuff on masterwork I can't focus on properly. The letters are too thin. I'm not being dramatic, I genuinely do have problems even seeing the start menu when you use masterwork to open DF.

Is it the font or the tileset?

Because I think we can use say Phoebus tiles with the vanilla font.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Dumb question: Do you have TrueType enabled? Try hitting F12 to toggle it, see if that does anything.

Is there a way to bookmark locations? I know you can place notes and such, but I can't remember if there was any good easy / simple way to jump from one place to another without scrolling through a billion Z levels or menus.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hotkeys, man. Should be right there on the primary menubar.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
How come you never hear of famous bogeymen, or see any boogeys in fortress mode if theyre so drat common?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GenericOverusedName posted:

Dumb question: Do you have TrueType enabled? Try hitting F12 to toggle it, see if that does anything.

Is there a way to bookmark locations? I know you can place notes and such, but I can't remember if there was any good easy / simple way to jump from one place to another without scrolling through a billion Z levels or menus.

capital 'H'

you can set F keys to either follow an item, an entity, or jump to a specific place.

I usually have the first few as hotkeys going to the main entrance, the various cavern levels, whatever. Then a couple on dwarfs I like so I can just jump right to them when I need to instead of looking through the units menu.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

How come you never hear of famous bogeymen, or see any boogeys in fortress mode if theyre so drat common?

They cannot exist indoors, or during the day. Because days are so abstracted in fortress mode, they would pop into existence for a couple seconds then be wiped out.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Never said I was very observant v:v:v

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

They cannot exist indoors, or during the day. Because days are so abstracted in fortress mode, they would pop into existence for a couple seconds then be wiped out.
Or near more than one person. I don't think anybody in the fortress counts as traveling alone at night.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Zereth posted:

Or near more than one person. I don't think anybody in the fortress counts as traveling alone at night.

Especially since nobody could be said to travel; the fortress' area is only maybe a half square mile for most embarks.

On the other hand, if a goblin snatcher were to show up only to be shredded by boogeymen on arrival, they would gain quite a following.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Swan Curry posted:

Having finally decapitated a night creature that had taken most of the day to defeat,my adventurer decided to get some sleep.I thought if you were up a tree you were safe from bogeymen.I was wrong.

The next 1200 announcements were "The Bogeyman kicks/punches/bites you",with an occassional "You are having more trouble breathing!".I was pressing enter over and over and the red text just kept going.The sweet release of death finally came from a punch that made his upper body explode into gore.Have bogeymen been weakened?I've never seen them take this long to kill someone before.

Did you not see my post a few pages ago detailing this very issue?

:colbert:

You should have, maybe your adventurer wouldn't be dead then.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
There's a forgotten beast that's sealed within the caverns and can't get at my dwarves in the shape of a huge blue bloated deer with three tails, that has some sort of noxious secretion. Unfortunately it has been doing nothing but swim in every single source of water in all of the caverns in criss-crossing X patterns. I like to think that it's purposefully fouling all the water it can find as a future :fuckoff: to the dwarves that it can't reach.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 22, 2014

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've got one swimming around in my flooded cavern level that's made of vomit. I am not going to build any wells down there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The secretions kill all the bacteria. It's helping!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What's the holdup on an OS X version of the rapist? Someone should get on that. I'm just the ideas guy.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

What's the holdup on an OS X version of the rapist? Someone should get on that. I'm just the ideas guy.

You scared me for a moment. Good job.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Whoa! DF2014 is out??? I didn't even notice.
I don't see much of interest in the changelog... it's more focused on Adventure Mode which I never really play.
I was expecting that feature about the world changing around your fortress, being able to participate in diplomacy and wars and all that poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zomborgon posted:

You scared me for a moment. Good job.

Okay, that was fair, but seriously, what gives. :(

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

I don't see much of interest in the changelog... it's more focused on Adventure Mode which I never really play.
I was expecting that feature about the world changing around your fortress, being able to participate in diplomacy and wars and all that poo poo.

The world does change, actually; several people in this very thread have had kings die outside of their fort and someone in the fort succeed them.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Not only does succession happen, but you can retire forts and have them be a part of your civilization while you're playing another fort. Your dwarven liaison will also tell you about the various going-ons of the world at large. You'll also probably see dwarves from your retired forts migrate to your active one.

The new morale and combat intents also have an effect on Fort Mode, but right now it means that everybody is terrified of any and all corpses and will drop everything to cower in fear and cry at the sight of a rotten yak corpse. Also fights against invaders will turn into a hilarious clusterfuck of dwarves and goblins crying and tripping over each other trying to flee as soon as someone drops dead. Trade caravans will also get scared and bug out if you leave corpses out for them to see.

Toady is currently in bugfixing mode so expect these things to be fixed or tweaked in the near future.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elth posted:

right now it means that everybody is terrified of any and all corpses and will drop everything to cower in fear and cry at the sight of a rotten yak corpse

I had a merchant guard just kill a kea with a crossbow and then when the corpse fell and splattered on the ground nearby, all the merchants were horrified and immediately ran.

Leaving behind all their stuff on the trading depot.

:iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've found one of these at nearly every reclaimed fortress I've been at: a single troll, hanging above a vast chasm, clinging to the wall for dear life.

Fake edit:

hahahahaha