Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Thanks. Purchased.
Now, how is Azzarello's Broken City?

It's a serviceable Azzarello/Risso story that feels a bit padded in some parts and a little like a lost opportunity in others. The amazing Risso art alone is worth it, but the writing hits the middle of Azzarello's quality for me.

It's definitely not as bad as Azzarello's For Tomorrow, but it's nowhere near as good as Joker or Luthor.

I'd even argue that Deathblow/Batman: After the Fire is a better Batman story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Action Man posted:

It's definitely not as bad as Azzarello's For Tomorrow, but it's nowhere near as good as Joker or Luthor.
Side note, there is a huge span of quality between Luthor (amazing) and Joker (pretty lame).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So I like having the actual physical books on my shelf if I think it's good enough, especially if it's a story collected in trade. What are some shorter arcs, single issues, "not good enough to collect in trade" Batmen that folks could recommend that I grab from this sale?

Reminder: Not a real fan of stories that involve non-Gotham superheroes or the more absurd extraterrestrial or supernatural stuff. My favorites are Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Killing Joke, Arkham Asylym: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, Death of the Family, etc.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Edit I forgot to refresh whoops

Also I know I've read Gothic but I can't remember a god damned thing about it, is it worth picking up to tickle my Morrison itch? Or should I skip it?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

Also I know I've read Gothic but I can't remember a god damned thing about it, is it worth picking up to tickle my Morrison itch? Or should I skip it?
I think it's pretty solid. The art is good, it's pretty straightforward, and it's short!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I like having the actual physical books on my shelf if I think it's good enough, especially if it's a story collected in trade. What are some shorter arcs, single issues, "not good enough to collect in trade" Batmen that folks could recommend that I grab from this sale?

Reminder: Not a real fan of stories that involve non-Gotham superheroes or the more absurd extraterrestrial or supernatural stuff. My favorites are Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Killing Joke, Arkham Asylym: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, Death of the Family, etc.

I know that Blades is part of the sale. It is Legends of the Dark Knight #32, 33, 34 and it is excellent. It's got great artwork by Tim Sale, and a solid, sad story by Robinson. Really worth picking up.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

hup posted:

I'd recommend it. It's not his best Batman work, but I'll second the vote of "solid".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It might be best to pluck short arcs out of the long-running anthology series, Legends of The Dark Knight. Many of which haven't been collected.
This might help http://comicsalliance.com/10-best-legends-of-the-dark-knight-stories-batman-dc/

edit: MAN, is it annoying that this sale skips issues.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 22, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

It might be best to pluck short arcs out of the long-running anthology series, Legends of The Dark Knight. Many of which haven't been collected.
This might help http://comicsalliance.com/10-best-legends-of-the-dark-knight-stories-batman-dc/
Conspiracy had better be on there.

edit: GRRRR

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 22, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about, thanks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

It mentions Terminus. That was a great one and done. This list is legit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And even more Batman stuff on sale today on Comixology, including a few that got bought up on this very page that weren't on sale.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Fuuuck. Zero Years finale was loving heart breaking. gently caress man. :(

An owl on the last page..!

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

So I decided I wanted to start trying to catch up with Snyder's run on Batman thanks to this Comixology sale (couldn't resist the Court of Owls trade at only $2.99), and was planning to buy all the 99˘ issues they had available, but I noticed that there's some overlap between what makes up volume 2 of the trades and the compiled Night of Owls event. My question is, how much do I miss out on if I just stay with the main series rather than worrying about all the tie ins?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Thanks. Purchased.
Now, how is Azzarello's Broken City?

It's honestly one of my favourite Batman stories around.

It's a very low key, really gritty noir story. Batman's narration is wonderfully purple and overwrought and captures the atmosphere really well and it's also probably got my favourite take on the ventriloquist.

It's a little polarising from what I've heard which I personally don't get but I think if you generally like Azz's stuff it's a great little noir story about Batman letting what should be a very straightforward case get way too personal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

how much do I miss out on if I just stay with the main series rather than worrying about all the tie ins?

Nothing at all. Don't worry. The 'Batman and Robin' tie-ins of 'Death of the Family' were my favorite parts of that storyline though. You might wanna check them out when you get there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, Tomasi writes a GREAT Damian, his origin story was fantastic and really tugged my heartstrings. Shame that Tomasi isn't as good with another characters.

Can't wait for Jason's origin next month.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Waterhaul posted:

There's no such thing as bad Frank Miller Batman and I will keep that stance forever
You realize there's a version of Holy Terror somewhere in Frank Miller's studio where he kept the little points on the protagonist's head?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is the Killing Joke on sale the real version or the lovely new colored one?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DynamicSloth posted:

You realize there's a version of Holy Terror somewhere in Frank Miller's studio where he kept the little points on the protagonist's head?

Forget Holy Terror, how can someone say that ASBAR isn't loving terrible? At a point it's a parody of itself but even then it's just unbelievably bad in every way. And lets not forget hits notes for how to draw Vicki Vale:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Nothing vulgar

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tracula posted:

Forget Holy Terror, how can someone say that ASBAR isn't loving terrible?
Because it owns.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Is the Killing Joke on sale the real version or the lovely new colored one?

Figuring the colored one since the Wikipedia page mentions the new one has a intro by Tim Sales, which the cover on Comixology has.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

What's so bad with the new colouring in Killing Joke? I haven't noticed that big of a difference, to be honest.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's kinda drab and literal, thus losing much of the whole delirious bad acid trip look the original printing had.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sentinel Red posted:

It's kinda drab and literal, thus losing much of the whole delirious bad acid trip look the original printing had.

I am not a fan of the new coloring, but at the same time I am not used to the old colors so I gone ahead and bought it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hellbat armor forged in the sun??? :black101: The Justice League really doesn't want us to see awesome poo poo. And Shazam is freaking insufferable he needs to be punched A LOT more in the face.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Can someone give me a quick primer on who the hell magical not-Constantine is in Batman Eternal? I guess he sometimes becomes an ultra magic ghost hero, but not when the plot demands otherwise? Also his current associate in Eternal, batwing. I've read most of the super iconic batman trades, but am still a comic noob, and I don't want to read the full wikipedia summaries in case they cover material from great runs I'll end up buying/reading. Finally - at the end of this week's Eternal (or was it last weeks, I may be behind), who was the revealed baddy?

As a point of broader discussion: Detective Comics: Batman monthly is loving great. I only jumped in at the beginning of this Icarus storyline - but I love that it's mostly just the batman solving semi realistic crime conspiracies and occasionally doing some real detective poo poo rather than just punching or dealing with the apparently massive bat family dramas.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I picked up "Blades" and "Gothic" based on recommendations in this thread. I was disappointed to see that "Terminus" and "Conspiracy" aren't available after seeing folks speak highly of them. So yeah, thanks.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A_Ruse! posted:

Can someone give me a quick primer on who the hell magical not-Constantine is in Batman Eternal? I guess he sometimes becomes an ultra magic ghost hero, but not when the plot demands otherwise? Also his current associate in Eternal, batwing. I've read most of the super iconic batman trades, but am still a comic noob, and I don't want to read the full wikipedia summaries in case they cover material from great runs I'll end up buying/reading. Finally - at the end of this week's Eternal (or was it last weeks, I may be behind), who was the revealed baddy?

As a point of broader discussion: Detective Comics: Batman monthly is loving great. I only jumped in at the beginning of this Icarus storyline - but I love that it's mostly just the batman solving semi realistic crime conspiracies and occasionally doing some real detective poo poo rather than just punching or dealing with the apparently massive bat family dramas.

The magical dude is Jim Corrigan who's the Spectre (God's wrath personified), the Spectre himself is one of the most powerful entities on the DCU able to do whatever the hell he wants (or the plot demands). Eternal's characterization doesn't mesh with the Spectre seen on the Dark line where he's stuck on Spectre mode all the times and is at the whims of God's will. On Eternal he's pretty much a Constatine stand-in.

Batwing is Luke Fox, son of Lucius Fox (Head of Wayne Enterprises) and a member of Batman Incorporated. Relatively new character that is used like an Nightwing/Batman Beyond stand-in nowadays, at the start of the N52 Batwing was David Zimbabwe and he was the Batman of Africa.

The guy reveladed this week was Deacon Blackfire, a character that debuted on the great story 'The cult'. He was just a crazy cult leader than managed to brainwashed Batman and every Hobo on Gotham to conquer the city, not an anti christ figure though. The guy he's possesing is Maxxie Zeus a second tier Batman Villian that believes himself to be Zeus and (on the old DCU at least) had some limited electrical powers, kind of a bargain bin Electro with god complex I guess

Detective Comics was a more traditional Batman book earlier, it only got the focus on the Detective part when Manapul and Buccelato took over the book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Jiro posted:

Hellbat armor forged in the sun??? :black101: The Justice League really doesn't want us to see awesome poo poo. And Shazam is freaking insufferable he needs to be punched A LOT more in the face.

That loving page, tho. It starts off cool as hell, that part with the forging should be a tattoo, then you notice there's more at the bottom and it's kinda hilarious.

"Hellbat armor forged in the sun BY SUPERMAN. :black101: ...and green lantern, flash, cyborg, ugh aquaman and wonder woman helped too, to protect you cuz you don't have superpowers, batman. :) "

Batman and Robin was the only DC comic i was reading, I stopped reading after the Nightwing issue and decided to jump in with the revival. It's hilarious seeing Lex Luthor and Captain Cold in the league.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I picked up "Blades" and "Gothic" based on recommendations in this thread. I was disappointed to see that "Terminus" and "Conspiracy" aren't available after seeing folks speak highly of them. So yeah, thanks.

They are. Just not in the sale.

Terminus: https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Legends-of-the-Dark-Knight-64/digital-comic/20705
Conspiracy: https://www.comixology.com/DC-Comics-Presents-Batman-Conspiracy-1/digital-comic/26153

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I read the 75th Anniversary redo of Detective 27 and ugh. I mean I wasn't that big of a fan of Meltzer's work as I was reading it but I could accept it. Whatever, not my cup of tea but not offensively bad. But then of loving course the end has the Joker and then my eyes nearly rolled out of my head.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batwing is Luke Fox, son of Lucius Fox (Head of Wayne Enterprises) and a member of Batman Incorporated. Relatively new character that is used like an Nightwing/Batman Beyond stand-in nowadays, at the start of the N52 Batwing was David Zimbabwe and he was the Batman of Africa.

I'd just like to add that Batwing is terrible with a capital T. Like it was an intriguing prospect when the book was part of the Batman Inc thing and David Zavimbe was the lead, but then I guess sales weren't that great so editorial decided that instead of be faced with the dreadful prospect of actually cancelling a Bat-book, they changed the main character, the setting, the entire cast, and the costume. Because all Bats must be in Gotham forever.

(I know I've harped on this before but it's something I just can't get over with DC)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jiro posted:

The timing of this reveal amuses me to no end:

Holy poo poo :laffo:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/23/5932219/tetsuya-nomura-batman-final-fantasy

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There's a report from SDCC that an upcoming issue of Batman '66 will be based on an unmade script for the TV show. By Harlan Ellison. About Two-Face. With art by the legendary Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

It's literally just Bahamut from FFX with less color and no floating disc on his back.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

HitTheTargets posted:

There's a report from SDCC that an upcoming issue of Batman '66 will be based on an unmade script for the TV show. By Harlan Ellison. About Two-Face. With art by the legendary Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez!

Wasn't this episode supposed to have Clint Eastwood at Two-Face? At least, that's the rumor I've heard.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was so happy to find out about Batman '66 through this thread. I've been collecting the monthlies starting with #12 and getting back issues when I can find them. As much as I like some of the other New 52 stuff (Snyder, Simone's run on Batgirl, etc) this is easily the best Bat book out right now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Action Man posted:

Wasn't this episode supposed to have Clint Eastwood at Two-Face? At least, that's the rumor I've heard.

Yup, he was cast, but it never went into production. I hope they draw him like young Eastwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yup, he was cast, but it never went into production. I hope they draw him like young Eastwood.

He's right behind Billy D. Williams on my list of actors that should have been allowed to play Two-Face.

• Locked thread