Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think Greg proops crossed the line from "funny ham" to "active screen time hog" this episode, he was reay annoying in d and d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
They better plug those gems from the crab thing in to the baby robot or I am going to throw my iPod. Talk about Spencer trying to set them up for something obvious.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I think Greg proops crossed the line from "funny ham" to "active screen time hog" this episode, he was reay annoying in d and d

Apprecihate is my new word for how I feel about Proops. He amazes me with his ability but I hate his living guts.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I kind of wonder whether Proops at least talks with Spencer a little before the game to catch up on the D&D plot arc, since he's practically a guest DM, considering how much power Tylenol with Codeine has.....what am I saying, this is famous improviser Greg Proops, who isn't going to let the story Spencer's been developing for months years get in the way of whatever action he thinks will get the biggest laugh at a particular moment (something every player has been guilty of, albeit to a much lesser degree). Spencer tries to right the ship afterwards as best he can, but it seems like he just has to let Proops do fuckall until he runs out of steam, as he did this episode once they finally made it to the purple caves. I'm saying this as someone who still considers himself a fan of Proops - he was my favorite on the British iteration of Whose Line, and I actually remember trying to enjoy his short-lived Comedy Central game show "Vs." - but his comic selfishness & arrogance (regardless of whether they're a deliberate part of his stage persona or not) wear thin much more quickly in this longer-form improvisational format. I'm usually for longer D&D sessions, but I think for Proops episodes they should cap it at 10 minutes, including tangents.

Edit: Goldberg, that was you yelling "it's not evil!" at 1:52:55, when Proops was trying to use his magic circle against evil on the jewel crabs Spencer had just explained were not evil, right? If so, thank you for saving me from yelling that same thing at my computer screen, and it ended up being funny if only because Proops acts so taken aback at all the audience / proletariat rabble.

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 9, 2014

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Greg Proops created Admiral Darkstar IIRC so without him we would have nothing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
How the hell are you guys following D&D? I don't even know who's playing which character half the time.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I'm still now clear on how they wound up wandering the tundra. They burned a hole through Bill Martigans, and there was tundra on the other side?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arstan posted:

I'm still now clear on how they wound up wandering the tundra. They burned a hole through Bill Martigans, and there was tundra on the other side?

They were in the tundra, jumped into the bag, and burned their way out of the bag to the tundra they were originally in

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I thought Proops was great this episode until D&D, then he was overbearing and annoying. Still liked the episode overall!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Having spent time with Proops, Tylenol is really just an overeth-annoyingly character-eth.

radlum
May 13, 2013

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I agree. Proops can be pretty good in small doses, but too much of him can get annoying fast, that's pretty much why I dropped his podcast. As funny as it was at times, the rest was just annoying to go through. I miss Kitty McTavish, though.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I'm glad Proops isn't in every episode, but I think he's a joy to have around in D&D. Tylenol is a fantastic character (in every sense of the word), and Spencer's ability to just roll with Proops' pseudo-DMing reflects his own awesomeness as a DM. I don't get the impression that Proops is wrecking some intricate story that Spencer spends weeks cooking up. I mean, have you heard him rap? Or improvise monsters? At this point I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Spencer just improvises everything.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Nah, Spencer definitely writes stuff. Remember when he told the gang about non-combat resolutions?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Holy poo poo, Dan's impression of Jeff!

Also, very disappointed this week's episode wasn't titled "Chinese Murder Vans".

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Nah, Spencer definitely writes stuff. Remember when he told the gang about non-combat resolutions?

I thought Spencer admitted he wrote more earlier on, but since the group's D&D sessions are so ramshackle he stopped writing as much.

And the real active screen hog of D&D isn't Tylenol with Coedine, it's Mulraine "I use my crafting bag" Sedonna

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

SoupyTwist posted:

And the real active screen hog of D&D isn't Tylenol with Coedine, it's Mulraine "I use my crafting bag" Sedonna

As much as I really dislike Erin's playing, I see what she's trying to do. She's just very bad at it, because she doesn't see the difference between "using your existing skills in creative ways" (like Jeff using cleave to cut off the giants dick AND balls) and "creating something anachronistic and silly out of thin air".

There's really no excuse for "Guys, let's put on a show", though...

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Is it bad that I'm possibly the only person who enjoys Erin, and 'let's put on a show', unironically. :smith:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

umalt posted:

Is it bad that I'm possibly the only person who enjoys Erin, and 'let's put on a show', unironically. :smith:

I loving love it along with her craft supplies.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
"Let's put on a show" was amazing.

In general I like it when Erin goes down that road, but sometimes the bit doesn't go anywhere.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 15, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

umalt posted:

She usually has her own cheering section in the audience, so that's four(?) other people.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Who was the person who heckled her when she first dm'd?

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I think we can all agree that people who shout out from the crowd are the worst. Shut up and let the funny people be funny.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
The best part of that episode was the people rushing the stage. What was weird was one guy screaming, "no-one cares" at Erin when she was being surprisingly funny.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Man Duncan Trussell sounds like a real idiot. What is it with him and fungus?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Chexoid posted:

Man Duncan Trussell sounds like a real idiot. What is it with him and fungus?

Duncan is amazing.

I haven't listened to what you're talking about, but it is likely related to the crazy 'stoned-ape' theory of evolution. Duncan and Rogan love to talk about that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Kumail's bewilderment is great in episode 72 as BJ shows up around forty minutes in and the show spirals out of control.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Brekelefuw posted:

Duncan is amazing.

I haven't listened to what you're talking about, but it is likely related to the crazy 'stoned-ape' theory of evolution. Duncan and Rogan love to talk about that.
I think its about the fungus that takes over ants and causes them to climb high in trees to jizz spores below.

I want to so badly hang out with spencer and dan.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
He clearly watched The Happening while on something and doesn't remember it but the idea is in his head.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

KoRMaK posted:

I think its about the fungus that takes over ants and causes them to climb high in trees to jizz spores below.

I want to so badly hang out with spencer and dan.

Yeah, I listened today.

It is interesting to think about how much control we have. Just look at Toxoplasmosis and its suspected effects on humans and rodents.

Duncan was an ok comptroller, but you really realize how good Jeff is at steering Dan in to comedy when someone else runs the show.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
Are Dan's weird pedophilia jags on a lunar cycle, or something?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
At the start of the episode I felt like I'd probably heard enough of millionaire drunk Dan Harmon complaining about Uber's notoriously exploited drivers, but he brought it home at the end.

"...I make a five stars"

Duncan got some belters in as comptroller but Jeff definitely has a steadier hand. I feel like his wide eyed, "I read half a Boing Boing post about cyborgs!" Alan Watts thing would get tiresome pretty quickly.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Way to make me feel bad about calling Erin the worst at D&D Duncan.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Erin is pretty bad, but at least she seems to want to play along to a degree. I kinda wish they'd spin off D&D into its own podcast, but I'm sure that's not practical.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Whatever happened to harmonquest?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Why do Erin's segments always have to be forty goddamn minutes long?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
They aren't. They just feel that way.

Drunkboxer posted:

Or Harmontown Nights?

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Does anyone know where I can find the dungeons and dragons intro music they play for Spencer?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

superjew posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the dungeons and dragons intro music they play for Spencer?

If it's not the music from "Labyrinth", then it was written just for them for the tour by Ryan Elder (composer for Rick and Morty) and hasn't been released anywhere.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Drunkboxer posted:

Development limbo.

quote:

Or Harmontown Nights?

Pending fundraiser exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Development limbo.