Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The chances of having 2 Caryatid in the top 10 cards is about 1/8. That's not very good. Even if you're running 12 mana dorks (i.e. green devotion rather than monsters), the odds of getting three of them in your top 10 is still less than 1/3. And the real odds are lower than that, since that doesn't consider the odds of not getting the lands you need alongside the creatures.

It just not a reliable strategy, and you're better off with cards that will similarly win you the game if you get that much mana, while also not being complete blanks if you draw them earlier. I'd much rather spend 7 mana to Monstrous a Stormbreath Dragon or Polukranos, rather than playing a Hornet Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I plan on mainboarding 4 bile blight at SCG Dallas next weekend in anticipation of mono U and the mirror. Wrecking nightveil specter and early pack rats seems like a good idea. Sign in blood goes to the board, maybe, for control match-ups. Drown in sorrow in the board for mono green and aggro.

Mono green kills mono black so hard right now, it's nuts.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Jabor posted:

The chances of having 2 Caryatid in the top 10 cards is about 1/8. That's not very good. Even if you're running 12 mana dorks (i.e. green devotion rather than monsters), the odds of getting three of them in your top 10 is still less than 1/3. And the real odds are lower than that, since that doesn't consider the odds of not getting the lands you need alongside the creatures.

It just not a reliable strategy, and you're better off with cards that will similarly win you the game if you get that much mana, while also not being complete blanks if you draw them earlier. I'd much rather spend 7 mana to Monstrous a Stormbreath Dragon or Polukranos, rather than playing a Hornet Queen.

Against MonoB I expect that the minute Polukranos or Stormbreath hits the board for it to be removed. At least with Queen you will be left with a few deathtouch flyers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

End of Life Guy posted:

I plan on mainboarding 4 bile blight at SCG Dallas next weekend in anticipation of mono U and the mirror. Wrecking nightveil specter and early pack rats seems like a good idea. Sign in blood goes to the board, maybe, for control match-ups. Drown in sorrow in the board for mono green and aggro.

Mono green kills mono black so hard right now, it's nuts.

If you're preboarding against the mirror, mainboard Sign in Blood.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If you're preboarding against the mirror, mainboard Sign in Blood.

It's bad against monoU, aggro, r/g monsters, and mono green. Its only good against control and the mirror. Bile blight at least still handles Elspeth.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

End of Life Guy posted:

It's bad against monoU, aggro, r/g monsters, and mono green. Its only good against control and the mirror. Bile blight at least still handles Elspeth.

If i was playing MonoB this weekend I would mainboard both. 4 Bile and probably 3 Sign.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I wonder how often the "BB: Shock to the face" aspect is going to come up. I suspect that at least the threat of it is going to get people to put the brakes on Underworld Connections a little earlier than they otherwise might.

OssiansFolly posted:

Against MonoB I expect that the minute Polukranos or Stormbreath hits the board for it to be removed. At least with Queen you will be left with a few deathtouch flyers.

Your average mono-B deck has maybe 8 answers to your big fatties. And 4 of those they really want to use on Domri instead. Just jam must-answer threats until they run out of removal and then you win.

Ultimately I think you're putting far too much emphasis on the relatively few situations in which Hornet Queen is better than its contemporaries, and not paying enough thought to the times where it's worse. (Especially if you were ever considering cutting your 4-mana 5/5 brick wall against creature decks in favour of something that takes 7 mana to get anywhere.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

I wonder how often the "BB: Shock to the face" aspect is going to come up. I suspect that at least the threat of it is going to get people to put the brakes on Underworld Connections a little earlier than they otherwise might.

Your average mono-B deck has maybe 8 answers to your big fatties. And 4 of those they really want to use on Domri instead. Just jam must-answer threats until they run out of removal and then you win.

Ultimately I think you're putting far too much emphasis on the relatively few situations in which Hornet Queen is better than its contemporaries, and not paying enough thought to the times where it's worse. (Especially if you were ever considering cutting your 4-mana 5/5 brick wall against creature decks in favour of something that takes 7 mana to get anywhere.)

Which leads us to his other problem, of not having Domri.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Which leads us to his other problem, of not having Domri.

I'm not dropping money this close to rotation on Domri...can't justify it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

I'm not dropping money this close to rotation on Domri...can't justify it.

They are under 10 bucks and the best card in the deck. If i didn't have Domri, I would run MonoGreen instead.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If i was playing MonoB this weekend I would mainboard both. 4 Bile and probably 3 Sign.

I can see an argument for it, but my 2-slot is pretty full as it is with most monoB decks. 4 Pack rat, 3 devour flesh, 4 bile blight, 3 doom blade (board), 2 pharika's cure (board), 2 ultimate price (board).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

End of Life Guy posted:

I can see an argument for it, but my 2-slot is pretty full as it is with most monoB decks. 4 Pack rat, 3 devour flesh, 4 bile blight, 3 doom blade (board), 2 pharika's cure (board), 2 ultimate price (board).

I don't think Devour flesh is that good now, you don't see too many blood barons since Esper Control stooped winning. Even the winning esper lists aren't playing it now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

They are under 10 bucks and the best card in the deck. If i didn't have Domri, I would run MonoGreen instead.

And have to get Nissa instead. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

And have to get Nissa instead. :v:

Look at his list. He's got Nissa.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Look at his list. He's got Nissa.

Yeah. You should be running Mono-G instead. (Why are you running Nissa in Jund? :psyduck:)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. You should be running Mono-G instead. (Why are you running Nissa in Jund? :psyduck:)

Planning for rotation and I don't have Domri. I have 3 Nissa at home already...

If I thought I had the cards for MonoG I'd probably run it, but I have a feeling I am still missing a few key components. Get me a list and I can see if I am sitting on the cards to run it.

Edit: I just Googled what I assume is a competitive deck...I don't have any Garruk or Shrine to Nyx. So I guess either way I'd be spending money...

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 22, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

If I thought I had the cards for MonoG I'd probably run it, but I have a feeling I am still missing a few key components. Get me a list and I can see if I am sitting on the cards to run it.

Edit: I just Googled what I assume is a competitive deck...I don't have any Garruk or Shrine to Nyx. So I guess either way I'd be spending money...

Yeah. Garruk and Chord of Calling are kind of important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDY_EQx_Wo

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. Garruk and Chord of Calling are kind of important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDY_EQx_Wo

Then I guess since I am lacking most Green components it would be best for me to just buy the Domri and go Jund. It is still cheaper to go that route than to buy into MonoG.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

Then I guess since I am lacking most Green components it would be best for me to just buy the Domri and go Jund. It is still cheaper to go that route than to buy into MonoG.

Well. I've got 2 Nykthos for trade if you want'em. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

Nykthos will be played for another year+ so that might be a better investment than Domri's if you're worried about rotation.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Nykthos will be played for another year+ so that might be a better investment than Domri's if you're worried about rotation.

Well yea, but in MonoG I'd be looking at Nykthos and Chord of Calling and Garruk for now...in the Jund all I am missing right now is Domri. And after rotation I guess I just put Domri in my Prossh deck?

AlternateNu posted:

Well. I've got 2 Nykthos for trade if you want'em. :v:

I sent you a PM so we don't muck up the forum with trade stuff.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Hey there goons, I don't post here often.

Long story short, I planned on competing locally (FNMs, Grand Prixs) in Standard with a Constellation deck. Then Back to Nature happened. So now I'm scrambling for an alternative that I can really latch on to. So far I'm thinking Garruk/Planeswalker Jund, or maybe more cheaply, Mono-Red Burn with Scuttling Doom Engine. Here's a brew I have so far:

quote:

Mono-Red “Scuttling Burn Engine”

Mid-range burn/control deck with combo finisher

Creatures
4x Scuttling Doom Engine
4x Stormbreath Dragon
4x Generator Servant
4x Satyr Firedancer

Burn
2x Spark Jolt (scry 1)
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet (scry 2)
2x Searing Blood
2x Shrapnel Blast
4x Stoke the Flames

Is this card even good?
4x Chandra, Pyromancer

Land
4x Darksteel Citadel
16x Mountain

Tell me what's bad about this.

EDIT: Obviously this is for after the rotation. I'll put in anything good from Khans of Tarkir.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 22, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Frgrbrgr posted:

Hey there goons, I don't post here often.

Long story short, I planned on competing locally (FNMs, Grand Prixs) in Standard with a Constellation deck. Then Back to Nature happened. So now I'm scrambling for an alternative that I can really latch on to. So far I'm thinking Garruk/Planeswalker Jund, or maybe more cheaply, Mono-Red Burn with Scuttling Doom Engine.

I really don't think Back to Nature is going to be a death knell for Constellation decks. All Green decks are running Courser. You draw enough cards off of Blossoms that you aren't too worried about card disadvantage. No one is going to main deck it. And you can play around it if you're running against another non-constellation green decks. All it really means is you have to be careful about making GBS threads a million cards onto the field.

Or maybe switch to G/B/W for indestructibility effects.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So after obtaining garruks and just realizing how amazing it is, I made this list which will be for gameday-

BG Devotion-

4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Voyaging Satyr
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Burning Tree Emissary
2 Genesis Hydra
4 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Hornet Queen
1 Hornet Nest
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt

4 Abrupt Decay
3 Chord of Calling

1 Garruk, Apex Predator
3 Nissa, Worldwaker

4 Temple of Malady
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
7 Forest

Sideboard-

3 Putrefy
4 Golgari Charm
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Phytotitan
1 Garruk, Apex Predator
1 Phyrexian Revoker

I chose 1 garruk in the main and 1 in the side because I thought he would be better in match ups with superfriends and having 2 in hand at once can be quite difficult. Phytotitan is for the mono black match up, Golgari Charm are very useful in a variety of situations, but they are mainly for control match ups, same for revoker. Putrefy is in there because I am quite scared of the possibility of the fast new artifact decks that will be popping up. I have also seriously contemplated the possibility of a more midrange list with deathrite shamans, evolving wilds and reaper of the wilds instead of the more devotion route. I think deathrite shaman is a very versatile card and is definitely worth considering now that wilds has been printed in standard.

Samael fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 23, 2014

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

If you're running Nissa, why not Overgrown Tomb over Wastes? Tomb is a forest, so you could get more use out of her untap ability.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Night Danger Moose posted:

If you're running Nissa, why not Overgrown Tomb over Wastes? Tomb is a forest, so you could get more use out of her untap ability.

:doh: Oh yeah, I have been forgetting shocks recently, they should be a definite inclusion, fixed.

Wtgamerz
Jan 5, 2005

I tolerate this century
Deck: RW SS Version 2

//Lands
2 Arid Mesa
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Clifftop Retreat
2 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
4 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Tectonic Edge

//Spells
2 Dismember
4 Genesis Chamber
3 Lightning Bolt
2 Path to Exile

//Creatures
3 Ajani's Pridemate
4 Champion of the Parish
1 Legion Loyalist
3 Mentor of the Meek
4 Norin the Wary
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Ranger of Eos
4 Soul Warden
4 Soul's Attendant

//Sideboard
1 Dismember
2 Path to Exile
4 Wear // Tear
2 Suppression Field
2 Stony Silence
2 Rest in Peace
2 Blood Moon

Display deck statistics

Thoughts on this RW Norin Soul Sisters deck? I'm still trying to find a good deck to play that can do well, but doesn't necessarily have to be "tier 1". I like the concept of the sisters deck, and anyway to splash red is good by me. Any cards I need to take out or add that I dont have?

Would Auriok Champion be any good?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I added an ascendant as a ranger target to my deck.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So, I've slapped a standard deck together after a long absence from the standard environment for the upcoming Games day. It's literally only for the 3 months till RTR/M14 get the boot, but I'd like a bit of critique/advice, as I rarely play anything but EDH. One thing I am considering is to cut the Electomancers and go mono red.

4 Burning tree emissary
3 Goblin Electomancer
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Guttersnipe
4 Ornithopter
4 Stoke the flames
4 Lightning strike
4 Magma jet
2 Chandra Pyromaster

Land
4 Steam Vents
15 mountain
4 island

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Xaerael posted:

So, I've slapped a standard deck together after a long absence from the standard environment for the upcoming Games day. It's literally only for the 3 months till RTR/M14 get the boot, but I'd like a bit of critique/advice, as I rarely play anything but EDH. One thing I am considering is to cut the Electomancers and go mono red.

4 Burning tree emissary
3 Goblin Electomancer
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Guttersnipe
4 Ornithopter
4 Stoke the flames
4 Lightning strike
4 Magma jet
2 Chandra Pyromaster

Land
4 Steam Vents
15 mountain
4 island

I would say you're a little in between the pyromancer deck and red deck wins. I agree with going MonoR and all aggro as you're playing some bad value here like the electromancers and ornithopter. I think you're better off with Legion Loyalist and Firedrinker Satyr. You definitely don't want Chandra in there either since you should be happier playing 2 2drops in 1 turn than a Chandra.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Xaerael posted:

4 Burning tree emissary
3 Goblin Electomancer
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Guttersnipe
4 Ornithopter
4 Stoke the flames
4 Lightning strike
4 Magma jet
2 Chandra Pyromaster

Land
4 Steam Vents
15 mountain
4 island

Searing Blood is godlike with Satyr Firedancer big omission, and if you're going to splash one color, splash white for Warchanter's Helix, with Shock Troops, Wear/Tear, and Chained to the Rocks in the side. If you want an Izzet deck, you can try Spellheart Chimera counter burn or the new artifact synergies from M15, but both are probably weaker than straight burn to the face.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

hoobajoo posted:

Searing Blood is godlike with Satyr Firedancer big omission, and if you're going to splash one color, splash white for Warchanter's Helix, with Shock Troops, Wear/Tear, and Chained to the Rocks in the side. If you want an Izzet deck, you can try Spellheart Chimera counter burn or the new artifact synergies from M15, but both are probably weaker than straight burn to the face.

Boros Charm is a thing for burn too

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cauldron Moose posted:

Boros Charm is a thing for burn too

Oh yeah, Boros Charm. I knew I was forgetting one.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Im trying to get my RDW list sorted out for the time being. Gonna lose a few pieces when m14/RTR rotate out, but it shouldn't be too hard to fill those spots when khans comes out.

# [Red Deck Wins](http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-07-14-MbM-red-deck-wins/)
by [jhorphear](http://tappedout.net/users/jhorphear/)

Mainboard (60)
# Creature (31)
* 4 [Ash Zealot](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/ash-zealot/)
* 4 [Borderland Marauder](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/borderland-marauder/)
* 4 [Burning-Tree Emissary](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/burning-tree-emissary/)
* 4 [Firedrinker Satyr](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/firedrinker-satyr/)
* 3 [Goblin Rabblemaster](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/goblin-rabblemaster/)
* 4 [Gore-House Chainwalker](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/gore-house-chainwalker/)
* 4 [Legion Loyalist](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/legion-loyalist/)
* 4 [Rakdos Cackler](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/rakdos-cackler/)

# Instant (6)
* 4 [Lightning Strike](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/lightning-strike/)
* 2 [Stoke the Flames](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/stoke-the-flames/)

# Enchantment (4)
* 4 [Madcap Skills](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/madcap-skills/)# Land (19)
* 19 [Mountain](http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/mountain/)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

jhorphear posted:

Im trying to get my RDW list sorted out for the time being.

Needs Mutavault? That's another goblin to pump the Rabblemaster.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
RDW doesn't like mutavault because it runs so few lands and has a lot of double red casting costs. Boss sligh doesnt run any and I'm pretty sure red devotion didnt either when it was more popular.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

RDW doesn't like mutavault because it runs so few lands and has a lot of double red casting costs.

That list only had 1 double red in Ash Zealot because Stoke the Flames has convoke. It could totally get away with 1-2 mutavaults.

e: I forgot BTE. Maybe mutavault as a 1 of. BTE is important to cast.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Reposting myself since I only got one bite.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Anyone wanna help me fiddle with my U/W aggro deck? Take a look here: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mystic-knights-uw-aura-aggro/

A few things I've been mulling over and want some help on:
- I think I'm going to swap out Nomad Mythmaker with Hindering Light because Mythmaker, while good in theory, just moves too slowly and can/will be removed almost instantly anyway. One HL basically accomplishes at instant speed and 2cc what takes Mythmaker two turns and 3cc+W, plus it has card draw. Besides, the flavor and art on Hindering Light is what inspired me to make this deck in the first place!
- Similarly, considering dropping the Lieges. While the buff is super nice and all, that's kind of what the enchants are for in the first place, and dropping four mana on something that can be Lightning Bolted right away feels pretty terrible. Considering replacing it with Judge's Familiar, since I don't have any one-drops and could really use some, let alone tossing more stuff in the air.
- Debating whether or not to swap Aqueous Form with Curiosity; the extra unblockable is really nice when I'm up against flying, and Scry is also really great, but I'm debating whether or not I should just skip scrying and go straight to card draw, since pretty much everything is going to end up evasive somehow.

Other than that, some general numbers tweaks (everything except for Dax and Augury are at 3-of which feels weird to me), suggestions that aren't on the maybeboard, and other observations are super welcome. I'm playing this casually and want to stay in Modern just for consistency of card frames as well as not having to search for even more stuff when deckbuilding, and I'd be willing to drop a few more bucks max to even it all out. Basically, I pretty much only play aggro because I loving love hitting things really fast (my first really big effort deck was Kithkin and I've never really gotten bored with the playstyle), and this is the closest thing I've made to control pretty much ever, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly the sweet spot is for this deck on the aggro/tempo/control scale.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If you post a tradelist in the trade thread I can give you good value on a couple Temple of Enlightenments.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'd trade from my collection to begin with, let alone how I'd go about shipping it. I'm pretty new to Magic communities that aren't face-to-face. v:shobon:v

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Reposting myself since I only got one bite.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'd trade from my collection to begin with, let alone how I'd go about shipping it. I'm pretty new to Magic communities that aren't face-to-face. v:shobon:v

Yea I think your land situation is the only thing I'd change. Adding a few Temples is the way to go so you have more control over your draws.

As far as trading and shipping...its not hard. TBH all you have to do is put the cards in a hard sleeve and ship via mail. I personally tape the hard sleeve to a manilla folder I cut to fit the envelope, but you can cut up a pasta box or a cereal box or anything that is some cardboard to at some rigidity. Postage is only a couple bucks. If you are shipping more than 4 cards you are likely going to just go down to the post office and buy a bubble shipping envelope and ship it in hard sleeves from there. Write do not bend on it and ship it out for still like $3 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
Hey all. I feel like I'm throwing too much crap into this deck and can't decide if I want to run Mono-Green devotion/Mono Black Devotion. Is there a way to fix this where I can get an equal mix? Or should I just focus on one or the other?

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Land
14 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Temple of Malady
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Creatures
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Pack Rat
3 Courser of Kruphix
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Boon Satyr
2 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
2 Desecration Demon
2 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Garruk, Apex Predator
1 Nissa, Worldwaker

//Other
4 Thoughtseize
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Chord of Calling
2 Underworld Connections
2 Hero's Downfall

Display deck statistics

Any help would be appreciated.

edit: lookin' this over I'm not sure what BTE is doing in the deck, since I don't run Nykthos anymore. I need to work on that. // bah, having a hard time not making small changes. I think I'm fine with this.

YoshiStomper fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 25, 2014

• Locked thread