Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
According to the roadmap, trading is only 65% complete. Moreover, Alexis has said stories/events will give players a boost into the trading side of things; the world, ambition, and phenomenon percentages that could cover events are pretty low at the moment too. The game isn't going to be finished until the autumn, and even then there are additions planned. In general, I'm not happy about early access taking the place of in-house beta testing, but there's enough that's compelling about Sunless Sea that I'm willing to excuse it this time--especially if the end result is worth it.

Apologism aside, what's the best route to offering constructive criticism? The community forum? Submitting a bug report at sunlesssea@failbettergames.com? Becoming an Internet personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

prometheusbound2 posted:

Are any of the other StoryNexus games good?

Number one issue with StoryNexus is that development's been frozen for the better part of a year. Games that are unfinished are likely to remain that way, even if Failbetter gets enough cash from their hush-hush Bioware project to clone its coders.

If you're at all bothered by Fallen London's writing style, the other official games will drive you bugfuck. Night Circus's writing is so far up its rear end it resembles an ammonite, and essentially requires you to drag friends in or make dummy accounts to unlock content. I enjoyed Cabinet Noir; it has an actual beginning and end, and some replayability, but be aware that unlocking certain paths with Nex is only good for a single playthrough. Also be aware that there's a lot of grinding for the handful of currency items in the game. I only played the Silver Tree very briefly, and quit in frustration when I realized it was the same scheme as Cabinet Noir.

Below is really interesting, in that the writer was trying to adapt fantasy gaming mechanics to the Fallen London template, and the player character really has no business dungeon delving, but it's balls hard to make progress or return to town in order to improve your gear or heal, and there are only a certain number of Opportunity-analogue cards before goddamn Vikings roll in and flatten your village while you're in the bowels of the earth. I'm not sure that it's actually possible to complete the only available adventure.

Although it seems to be quarantined (heh) on its own separate domain, I feel the need to state that I loving detested the Black Crown Project.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ElBrak posted:

You can tell the values are just not set right, like Mt. Palmerton will buy Zee Zoup for 70 echos, which is the same price as you can buy then in London. and about 80% of the places not having any sort of trading at all except fuel and supplies. Right now the only real way to make money is running wine, or doing info retrieving for the Admiral and making sure to get port reports from all the ports you pass. I mean you could say, run demon bone dice from Mt. Palmerton back to London, but its a profit of 1 echo per ton. Or you could run fuel from there to the pirate port, but again that is like one echo per ton.

I'm not so sure. It shouldn't be that easy to just run trade back and forth and back and forth ad nauseum until you're rich; that would immediately trivialize the game. I think having lots of ports that sell things for about the same price is kinda intentional. No doubt there is some trade missing, there's lots of the game still to come. But I wouldn't assume there'll be trade everywhere for easy profit and that's how it should be.

If there is easy trade routes between the close cities, then they need to change in price after only a few days so you can't do exactly that. And in that case what you're saying would kinda no longer apply, eh?

Check out the guide I posted before. Its not too hard to make some quick money and get a good gun, and then you're pretty unstoppable. I don't think you're supposed to run trade all day. You just do enough, combined with reports for the admiral, that you can gear up and start doing proper quests. Although there is a merchant ship you can buy, so that would kinda imply that trade should be a major gameplay mode, I'll give you that.

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's a steam guide by Hieronymous Alloy:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280678264

There's a couple minor spoilers, but he does a good job of setting you up in the early game with some powerful stuff.

In fact this should be in the OP.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 14, 2014

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Basically the very very early game seems a little bit too hardsquabble to me, at least when it comes to fuel. Supplies are easy early on, but I kinda ended up with not enough money for a good amount of fuel and kinda confused where I should head after finding the Shepard Isles.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
My take on the whole trading thing is that if you are so boring that you're content to run back and forth between two points for the entire time you're playing the game, then you deserve exactly what you get. It's actually entirely possible to do this right now, with the Godfall wine run as long as you burn your Something Awaits You at a port near London. If you never return to London with SAY, the Time, the Healer stat will never increase. A large part of the reason people are not considering the Godfall run to be decent progress is because you never get to experience anything else with how slow it is.

Rebalancing can always happen (and should with story stuff - it's absurd that the Admirality continues to pay you 150e for increasingly more dangerous tasks) but I maintain that if you're accepting money for your product it is unacceptable to have such a big blocker to the game's primary appeal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The not-quite tooltip for Mrs Plenty's shop in Fallen London notes something about the futility of running goods as a small operator, so that's probably working as intended. The question of course is what the Hell you're supposed to do beyond that other than hope you've got enough for a will before you die.

I've always basically assumed that Early Access is an 'opportunity' to pay to beta test, though I can see the other benefits to the developer. That's why I only touch EA when I get it as part of a Kickstarter reward, and only touch it very lightly even then. I don't have the time or inclination to beta test things any more, and I certainly can't be hosed to get into fanboy slapfights on the official forums or hound the devs over one issue or another.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I'm okay with back-and-forth trading being not very profitable. The player is an unreliable(?) unproven freelancer with a relatively small boat. Anyone doing any serious shipping is going to need a lot more capital and some established connections to make much profit. That's not this game.

I really like the bit where you go to port, you get 'recent news' and then people way out wherever will pay you a little for sharing it. It doesn't make much sense that the news evaporates after one stop. But the bit about, 'I'm going that way anyways, I'll pick them up a cask of wine for a few extra soundbucks,' is all the trade I care to see. The thing I'm not seeing, possibly because it's not implemented yet, is how else to make soundbucks and get a better boat. The admiralty stuff does not seem lucrative.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Yeah the news expiring bothers me. I get that they don't want you to be able to farm with news, but why not just have every place you go give you a 'news received' trait that disappears when you hit London and get new news?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

StringOfLetters posted:

But the bit about, 'I'm going that way anyways, I'll pick them up a cask of wine for a few extra soundbucks,' is all the trade I care to see. The thing I'm not seeing, possibly because it's not implemented yet, is how else to make soundbucks and get a better boat. The admiralty stuff does not seem lucrative.

The way I see admiralty stuff should keep you afloat for exploring and story stuff, with trade there if you want a little extra for upgrades and what not. Like taking a break to run tomb colonists up so you can get some extra scratch for a new engine, or for repairs and crew after a fight goes wrong.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Money from port reports and such is enough to keep you in business, but playing through stories like the deviless at Mt. Palmerston or going all the way to the bottom of the Shattered Citidel at Godfall will net you a lot of echos. Like a few thousand, easy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

StringOfLetters posted:

The admiralty stuff does not seem lucrative.

I feel like this is going to be the way they end up handling it in the end; currently, the Admirality's Favor seems useful for gently caress-all. Having increasing echo bonuses at every 5 levels (100e for level 5, 500e for level 10, 1000e for level 15, etc) would go a long way toward encouraging both engagement with the Admirality and basic exploration, which is what the game is nominally all about. These are still one-time bonuses in a game where larger ships cost tens of thousands of echoes up front and incur a far larger operating cost, though, so this in and of itself doesn't even come close to sorting out the economy issue.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Trading definitely needs to be a bit better profit wise in general I think, if you're afraid of people going nuts, make a system where it prices at the destination fall below profit and then recover to encourage going off to other places, but a lot of it is just nearly worthless to trade.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StringOfLetters posted:

I'm okay with back-and-forth trading being not very profitable. The player is an unreliable(?) unproven freelancer with a relatively small boat. Anyone doing any serious shipping is going to need a lot more capital and some established connections to make much profit. That's not this game.

I really like the bit where you go to port, you get 'recent news' and then people way out wherever will pay you a little for sharing it. It doesn't make much sense that the news evaporates after one stop. But the bit about, 'I'm going that way anyways, I'll pick them up a cask of wine for a few extra soundbucks,' is all the trade I care to see. The thing I'm not seeing, possibly because it's not implemented yet, is how else to make soundbucks and get a better boat. The admiralty stuff does not seem lucrative.

The idea is that the news is only valuable when its really recent and juicy; by the time you've gotten to a second port to share the news, its already old-hat and everybody knows, so nobody cares anymore.

It is a little awkward that you can purposely game the system and avoid using your "news" in order to bank it for a later port so it doesn't expire, but that's how lots of game systems work, whatever, deal with it! Its not a simulation. :cheeky:

I also really like how different places give you different things for the same goods. Some people are desperate for some news... :ohdear:

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've found the best way to make money isn't trading or the Admiralty, but the University. For now, I like that. Exploring and finding cool things is a lot more fun than repeating the same trade routes.

Still, I'd like to see Admiralty missions better developed, and I think there's a lot of potential fun to be had in quelling pirates, repelling invasions, and charting new territory.

I do hope that trading gets fixed. Right now, the map is static. So trader-gameplay is kind of inherently tedious. I expect it will be a lot more fun with a randomized map, because it'll be more tied to exploration.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Oh drat it. I should have figured. Looks like the litter amount is random (and the fact I got 5 twice the first time was luck.) I only got 3 kittens this litter.

Sent them out but that unfortunately means the wait for some people may get even longer. Sorry all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've found the best way to make money isn't trading or the Admiralty, but the University. For now, I like that. Exploring and finding cool things is a lot more fun than repeating the same trade routes.

Still, I'd like to see Admiralty missions better developed, and I think there's a lot of potential fun to be had in quelling pirates, repelling invasions, and charting new territory.

I do hope that trading gets fixed. Right now, the map is static. So trader-gameplay is kind of inherently tedious. I expect it will be a lot more fun with a randomized map, because it'll be more tied to exploration.

Every once in awhile I'll find some rare thing the university will bay me shittons of money for, and that's great. But isn't the university also supposed to pay for secrets as a cash cow? I did that once, and then since then I haven't had the option, but the text makes it sound like I should be able to do that over and over. Is that a bug?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Thanks for the kitten, MisterFuzzles! Excited to see it in Sunless Sea.

What other things transfer from fallen London to Sunless?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Every once in awhile I'll find some rare thing the university will bay me shittons of money for, and that's great. But isn't the university also supposed to pay for secrets as a cash cow? I did that once, and then since then I haven't had the option, but the text makes it sound like I should be able to do that over and over. Is that a bug?

I think I like the idea of them as one time payoffs. But I think a major flaw with the system, if the payoff system is working as intended, is the fuel consumption rate and costs. I think it needs to be a lot more forgiving if the game is going to be about getting rich by finding new discoveries. The mechanic shouldn't be completely discarded, but I think the balance is out of whack right now. Terror actually offers a more interesting resource management mechanic for the survival elements of the game, because it makes you explore more carefully rather than just making exploration more expensive.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah, thanks for the kitten!

Someone who's done it: How do you transfer it from Fallen London to Sunless Sea?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, thanks for the kitten!

Someone who's done it: How do you transfer it from Fallen London to Sunless Sea?

Use it in your inventory and you'll get a metaquality.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Use it in your inventory and you'll get a metaquality.

You may have to do it a few times, just keep playing with the kitty over and over.

Also your accounts have to be linked, which means that they have to use the same email. Otherwise you gotta create a new account.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Both accounts have the same email, but I got Sunless Sea from Kickstarter and the Bundle store, so I dunno. I've gotten the metaquality in FL, but it hasn't transferred yet. It's not a big deal, regardless.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

Both accounts have the same email, but I got Sunless Sea from Kickstarter and the Bundle store, so I dunno. I've gotten the metaquality in FL, but it hasn't transferred yet. It's not a big deal, regardless.

You have to click on the "get news" or "get updates" button on the main screen of Sunless Sea, did you try that?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It was a little rough to get past the price point at first but oh my god, I'm really glad I did. In just like a day or two I've sunk a great big chunk of time into it already. :allears:

Though now I'm probably gonna give Fallen London a try as well, since I'm all up for more of this writing and weird setting.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 18, 2014

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

You have to click on the "get news" or "get updates" button on the main screen of Sunless Sea, did you try that?

It's greyed out and can't be clicked. If we're talking about the same thing, it says "all stories are up to date."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
If anybody's still looking for kittens, I've got a litter of 5 looking for good homes. Also available for most social events. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Raymond~R~Price

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

If anybody's still looking for kittens, I've got a litter of 5 looking for good homes. Also available for most social events. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Raymond~R~Price

I have such a home. And would gladly partake in such events.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/MPAmes2

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

darthbob88 posted:

I'd also be happy to take care of a most curious kitten, Gabriel Syme

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'd be willing to take one as well if you have one. Gorelab

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

I'd like a kitten or socializing or any of that nice stuff really Horse Hammer

e: Thanks for the awesome kitty!

Nurge fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 20, 2014

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

It looks like the kittens are probably gone by now, but if not, I'd like one (also newly getting into Fallon London and would like to find some people to do the social stuff with). http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/schwein11

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Uh oh, I think I miscalculated and now I am at the Chapel of Lights with not enough fuel to get to the place West of Codex Venderbight. Is there a way on the chart to see if one port is closer than another?

Or is my best bet to charge off an some other direction to hopefully find some baddies to beat up before we kill each other out in the madness of the dark?

Roumba fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 23, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roumba posted:

Uh oh, I think I miscalculated and now I am at the Chapel of Lights with not enough fuel to get to the place West of Codex Venderbight. Is there a way on the chart to see if one port is closer than another?

Or is my best bet to charge off an some other direction to hopefully find some baddies to beat up before we kill each other out in the madness of the dark?

Your best bet is to just try it. Charge off one way, if you run out of fuel you can burn supplies, if you run out of supplies you'll eat your crew and then mutiny and you can just ALT+F4 the game and start over at the last place you docked and head towards the other town you didn't try last time.

Good luck!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Any high level people in Fallen London want to take me on as a Protegee?

Also, for everyone else, I'm pretty good about trading nightmares or other stuff so if you want a consistent supply of second chances, feel free to hit me up.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Nathaniel~Arbitrary

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Zaphod42 posted:

Your best bet is to just try it. Charge off one way, if you run out of fuel you can burn supplies, if you run out of supplies you'll eat your crew and then mutiny and you can just ALT+F4 the game and start over at the last place you docked and head towards the other town you didn't try last time.

Good luck!

Pff don't tell people to play this game like cowards.

Try it. If you fail, own the failure and start over

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
So there's a cool new scavenger hunt quest in Venderbight that can net you a pretty good amount of cash, up to 13,000 echoes depending on which quest reward you pick. If you've completed the Godfall content by now the quest is pretty self-explanatory. It's probably the biggest source of cash in the game right now and the writing is pretty neat (collect the mind-bending colors of the rainbow!) but it has ...problems. Namely that it requires you to be a horrible person and steal/have stolen the Rat Star, which is an unrepeatable choice. It's also dependent on some very rare Something Awaits You events but that's not as bad. It's still a really good late-game questline though; if the bigger stories are all like this I think the money problems people are having will disappear soon.

And a quick question about new ships: is adding crew broken above 10 members? My new boat has a crew cap of 15 but it's not letting me add anyone because I have more than 9.

I'm also open for Fallen London shenanigans:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Franklin~Zhao

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bendigeidfran posted:

And a quick question about new ships: is adding crew broken above 10 members? My new boat has a crew cap of 15 but it's not letting me add anyone because I have more than 9.

I've heard that it's still glitchy but eventually works out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
apparently there was a big patch today that included map shifting on death - has anyone had the chance to try this out yet?

http://www.failbettergames.com/emerald-and-steel/

edit: the webpage says "in a few days" but the steam news update says its live right now

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Verviticus posted:

apparently there was a big patch today that included map shifting on death - has anyone had the chance to try this out yet?

http://www.failbettergames.com/emerald-and-steel/

edit: the webpage says "in a few days" but the steam news update says its live right now

I have. Probably the most noticeable updates are sound (your engine has distinct sounds, bat swarms squeak when approaching, etc.) and randomized maps. The maps appear to be randomized by sectors, so Venderbight will always be above London, but I&M Funging Station could be anywhere. As you can guess, this makes it pretty hard to earn cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ah good, it was far too easy to get money in this game

• Locked thread