Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I would never ever even consider buying a place with any kind of pool. Also, above-ground pools are for rednecks and social climbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Hey not to mention all your neighbors kids are going to be sneaking onto your property when they think you aren't around/won't notice to hang out in your awesome in-ground pool. And then they can literally sue you if they get hurt! No really this is why insurance suddenly costs so much.

I think a fairly big factor in us getting a good deal on our house was that it had a broken in-ground pool. Like literally the liner was broken and couldn't hold water. So factoring in the cost of either removal or repair, the previous owner had included a few thousand in closing credit AND the price for the house was lower. Thank god too because fixing or removal were both around 10k since it was monstrously huge. Yes, that's right, ten thousand dollars right off the bat just to fix or remove the drat thing (we got rid of it).

I'm pretty sure installation would have been... even more eye-poppingly hefty. Don't get an in-ground pool.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm not sure why anyone would get one. Most of them are too small to do any real swimming in, and even a very high-end gym or country club with a real pool would be a fraction of the cost. I suppose maybe if you have several kids that absolutely love the pool and don't get sick of it after going several times a week for years, and if you live in an area where you can use it year round, and if you don't mind hosting functions on a regular basis with a bunch of neighbors or distant relatives and their kids, then it might make some sort of sense.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

A double wide? Assuming you bought the land it sits on too? How old is it?

Single wide 2 bed 2 bath so bigger rooms. Yes I got the land on it and it was a 1993 so it was built to the most recent standards of 2x4 walls.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I closed on my house in late July, and between work fires and business travel I have installed new appliances, granite, paint (ceiling flat, wall color, and trim color, kill me), removed a ton of wall paper, and have new carpet coming next week. Clearing out the backyard of all the random saplings and shrubs that the crazy PO put everywhere, and have the kids' jungle gym ready to go up once the yard is cleared.

It sucks rear end, but I am pumped.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

slap me silly posted:

Yeah, I would never ever even consider buying a place with any kind of pool.
I'd buy one if it were priced cheap enough that I could fill it in and still get the place I want for the price I want.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Heh, those would be my conditions too, I just have no faith they would ever happen

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just to pile on, it's environmentally irresponsible to own a pool in California. We are a state without enough water, and pools - even with covers - are giant evaporation machines that turn thousands of gallons of treated drinking water into a combination of humidity, and chlorinated wastewater. Not to mention the chemical processes necessary to produce chlorine, and the danger the chlorine and other pool chemicals represent to the environment.

It's not the worst thing you can do on your property by a long shot, but California is facing severe drought this summer. Conspicuously installing a swimming pool in the middle of a terrible drought might not be the best way to endear yourself to your new neighbors.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
painting in july :negative:

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

a shameful boehner posted:

painting in july :negative:

Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat! I closed on Thursday and started scraping popcorn off my ceilings yesterday. They quickly didn't look as dirty as I thought they were before! Oh well. I think I'll continue with removing most of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

gvibes posted:

I'd buy one if it were priced cheap enough that I could fill it in and still get the place I want for the price I want.

That's literally what we did, yeah. It happens, but usually not.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

El Jebus posted:

So the wife and I are looking to buy a house because we have wanted to and are now in a position to. Looking in Indio, CA and going with a VA loan. We have 4 pets (3 cats and a dog) and want more, so it makes sense to buy instead of rent. We are looking at $1600/month with HOA fees compared to the $1900+ we are paying now in rent and utilities.

You won't be able to talk me or the wife out of buying a home, but please talk me out of having a pool installed. Assuming I had a gas heater I could use the pool year round (still wouldn't use it Nov-Feb, probably). 45ft length fits nicely in our assumed back yard. Probably 10ft wide, 4-8ft deep? We occasionally get earthquakes so that is something we would have to take into account, but I just want to swim...

Pools are pretty awesome, but cost about $25,000 for a basic vinyl setup from scratch. It's a lot of work to keep it running, and holy poo poo you're crazy thinking you're going to keep it heated year round. Look into a solar setup, you'll have enough sun that it might make sense. But gently caress a gas heater for a pool unless you're adding in a spa too. You're going to want a variable speed pump because California electricity is crazy expensive. variable speed pumps are expensive.

I live in the south and water and electricity are cheap, we get tons of rain (I just drained a few more inches of water off, again.)

If you do get a pool, get a house with one that's already there, don't build one. And learn how it all works, the chemistry, etc etc. And be prepared to spend a pretty decent amount of time keeping it in shape. troublefreepool.com owns for everything pool-related and I highly recommend you read it before you get started.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
you want 2" or larger PVC, probably want to do schedule 80 tbh. my floor drains were capped off and covered by a new liner before we moved, probably because the pipe leaked somewhere, and good luck getting to that drain pipe.

this was a lot of loving work. gently caress you and your lovely 'covers', HUD.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 21, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

PuTTY riot posted:

Pools are pretty awesome, but cost about $25,000 for a basic vinyl setup from scratch. It's a lot of work to keep it running, and holy poo poo you're crazy thinking you're going to keep it heated year round. Look into a solar setup, you'll have enough sun that it might make sense. But gently caress a gas heater for a pool unless you're adding in a spa too. You're going to want a variable speed pump because California electricity is crazy expensive. variable speed pumps are expensive.

troublefreepool.com owns for everything pool-related and I highly recommend you read it before you get started.

Oh I know about the electricity. We have lived in a 1960's era "desert modern" house with single pane sliding doors and windows for 2 years that is in the Southern California Edison market. We are specifically buying a house in Indio because it is in the Emperial market which is effectively 1/2 the price (combined with newer construction for efficiency).

As far as the pool goes, maintenance is not what bothers me, I have been maintaining a pool for the last 2 years (drained it once because of the ash from fires last year). Install and repair are what scare me the most. I would NOT be heating the pool year round, probably just weekends. It has been known to get over 120F here in the summer, with multiple months of over 100F. I'll probably just get a membership at the gym 10 minutes away with a lap pool and call it good. There is just something about naked pool time with a gin and tonic when it is 110F outside with the wife/mistress/dogs, so luxurious.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, think I'm about to work on another offer. Nice house with a lot of updates and the price is pretty drat good, especially for the size. The only real negative is it's a corner lot on a busyish 4 lane road that the driveway is on. Wasn't too noisy or anything, not any more than where I live now anyway. Guessing that's what's keeping the price down and why it lasted through the weekend?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Make sure you see how busy it is between 5pm and 7pm. During the day things seem quiet, but things change as folks start coming home. I live on an artery into my community and the traffic as people rush home can be a bit heavy.

Just like apartment complexes always seem to have plenty of parking during the day, but at night turn into horrendous shitshows

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

Make sure you see how busy it is between 5pm and 7pm. During the day things seem quiet, but things change as folks start coming home. I live on an artery into my community and the traffic as people rush home can be a bit heavy.

Just like apartment complexes always seem to have plenty of parking during the day, but at night turn into horrendous shitshows

I know it's decently busy between 5 and 7. It's busier than the street I live on now, but not by a crazy amount. I just don't get the huge deal with living on a mildly busy road. The noise isn't that bad and you get used to it quickly. I'm super ok with it if it lets me get into a house at $80ish a square foot when comps are in the $100-150 a square foot range.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fknlo posted:

I know it's decently busy between 5 and 7. It's busier than the street I live on now, but not by a crazy amount. I just don't get the huge deal with living on a mildly busy road. The noise isn't that bad and you get used to it quickly. I'm super ok with it if it lets me get into a house at $80ish a square foot when comps are in the $100-150 a square foot range.

Kids.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's probably because I don't have any, but I just don't get that. It looks like the family that lives there now has a couple of younger kids. I was assuming that they were moving for more room since one bedroom had a bunk bed and crib it. Also maybe for the schools if the kids are getting older. Those types of things I get moving for, or not wanting a house in the area. If your kid that has never touched a surface that you haven't sanitized with a Clorox wipe is dumb enough to run into traffic, he's gonna find a way on that quiet suburban street too. Then again, I also roll my eyes at the people that have to have an open concept so they can keep an eye on precious little Jimmy at all times. I always forget how no one from the past made it through childhood without that stuff.

On that note, let the waiting game commence! I'm expecting someone to come in with a cash offer at $5k over listing at the last minute because that's how my life works. I think the only reason I might get this house is because it's $20k over what I had originally wanted to spend :v:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah this. It's something you don't get until you have them, but every time we get in/out of the car I turn into some Clint Eastwood "In The Line of Fire" overprotective secret service agent to make sure the kids don't dart towards the road. My 2 1/2 year old loves cars and trucks but doesn't yet understand the road is dangerous and people doing 40 in a 20MPH zone can't stop in time if he darts out there because he saw a 'Big Truck'.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

fknlo posted:

Our current house is the quietest place I've ever lived I think this close to downtown. I didn't think I would care that much, but its really, really nice to just listen to quiet.

We're not even in the 'burbs or anything like that - We're a few miles from downtown in an older neighborhood right next to some really trendy areas with lots of restaurants and entertainment, about a mile from the highway.

However we're on a quiet street a block away from the nearest 4 lane road and at night we can't hear ANYTHING in the house, and only a murmur of city sounds when we step outside. Occasionally we'll hear jets overhead or a faint train horn from the railroad about a mile away.

Its not like living in the country, but its significantly better than anywhere I've lived in the past 5-10 years. We were both shocked at how peaceful it feels here, and it was one of the reasons we bought the house.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
They countered my offer and I accepted! My agent is busy but will get me the paperwork later tonight. I think I just bought a house! :toot:

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

fknlo posted:

They countered my offer and I accepted! My agent is busy but will get me the paperwork later tonight. I think I just bought a house! :toot:

Don't worry, only inspections, repair proposals, underwriting, insurance, and even more exciting steps to go!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TacoHavoc posted:

Don't worry, only inspections, repair proposals, underwriting, insurance, and even more exciting steps to go!

And the buyer's remorse, can't forget that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TacoHavoc posted:

I'm just going to skip all of that and go straight to the costly unexpected repairs!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh god you're not waiving inspections, are you? Tell us you're not waiving inspections.

Or if you are, you're rich and are paying cash and can easily afford $50k+ of hidden problems.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Oh god you're not waiving inspections, are you? Tell us you're not waiving inspections.

Or if you are, you're rich and are paying cash and can easily afford $50k+ of hidden problems.

No, definitely not waiving inspections. Is joining Angies list a good idea at this point?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK whew.

I've never used Angie's List but I've heard other people say good things about it. I tend to use some combination of word-of-mouth, Yelp, and SomethingAwful Forums Goons. The latter tends to be the most comprehensive and helpful resources, actually.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

fknlo posted:

Me too! VA loan. Yay! Already saving up for our first repair (and fridge, and table+chairs, guest bed, etc.,)! Home inspection is scheduled for Friday!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Angie's List is much better than nothing (and much better than Yelp and such), but it's still just aggregating reviews from a bunch of random people who don't actually know how to tell if someone did a job right or not. It doesn't hold a candle compared to recommendations from people who know what's what, but I'm betting if you already knew someone trustworthy to ask you wouldn't be asking that right now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There's a guy I work with who is middle aged, has owned a home in this area for 20 years, and is pretty handy with home repairs but knows when to call a professional.
I get all my home and auto repair referrals from him.

I've never used Angie's List, but if you can find a smart middle-aged homeowner you work with that's probably a better idea.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zhentar posted:

Angie's List is much better than nothing (and much better than Yelp and such), but it's still just aggregating reviews from a bunch of random people who don't actually know how to tell if someone did a job right or not. It doesn't hold a candle compared to recommendations from people who know what's what, but I'm betting if you already knew someone trustworthy to ask you wouldn't be asking that right now.

I've got a few people to ask. A couple of people I work with are realtors on the side and probably know someone. Another guy I work with has a few rental properties and has a guy for everything. Then there's another guy who told me he has a guy that's the best, but I don't trust this persons judgement. At all. I'll get something figured out.

edit: My agent has recommended a company. Their website plays a sound when you move the cursor over a link. That alone may eliminate them from contention.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 23, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

fknlo posted:

I've got a few people to ask. A couple of people I work with are realtors on the side and probably know someone. Another guy I work with has a few rental properties and has a guy for everything. Then there's another guy who told me he has a guy that's the best, but I don't trust this persons judgement. At all. I'll get something figured out.

edit: My agent has recommended a company. Their website plays a sound when you move the cursor over a link. That alone may eliminate them from contention.

I know I'm the "RE agents are scumbags" alarmist, but really don't trust your realtor for recos. There is potential for kickbacks and I've seen people get boned on contractor referrals when they're getting an estimate for inspection issues. The agent will go for a low ball contractor so you pass on asking for more, or so the seller will gladly give the credit and the closing goes through quickly.

E: herp derp. Didn't see these were people you knew who were also Realtors, not your agent.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Leperflesh posted:

OK whew.

I've never used Angie's List but I've heard other people say good things about it. I tend to use some combination of word-of-mouth, Yelp, and SomethingAwful Forums Goons. The latter tends to be the most comprehensive and helpful resources, actually.

It's complete YMMV because it's only as good as your local reviews. For the DC/MD/VA area it's a good source for reviews and contractors, has deals (their own Groupon knockoff for home improvement/repair), and some companies offer discounts (HVAC I use gives 10% off, more than made my money back). I use that and my neighborhood's listserv. Their membership prices seem to jump all over the place and may vary by location. Last year it was like $26/yr but when I started my account but didn't actually complete checkout they sent me a coupon to make it $12.48, They now have three tiers and monthly options but only the Basic tier appears worth it.

Fun fact if you subscribe, if you don't manually select a new tier and renew they'll instead renew your existing Angie's List Home $26 subscription, even though it's exactly the same as the $9.99 basic subscription. So that's kind of lovely.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
With some light googling, you can usually find coupon codes to get a month of Angie's List pretty cheap. I think I only paid $1.80 for the month I was looking for a drywall guy, then cancelled before renewal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A guy on my facebook just got a realtor's license. When I saw the headline I thought "This article could have been written in 2005"

https://homes.yahoo.com/news/5-reasons-to-buy-a-house-in-the-next-5-months-192327266.html

Prices will only go up-up-up! They're cheaper right now than they were at the top of the worst real estate bubble we've ever seen!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So every single person I've asked has recommended a different home inspector :suicide:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fknlo posted:

So every single person I've asked has recommended a different home inspector :suicide:

Ask to look at some inspection reports and see what's more comprehensive, understandable, etc?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

silvergoose posted:

Ask to look at some inspection reports and see what's more comprehensive, understandable, etc?

Yeah, ask to see their reports/binders and see which one you like best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fknlo posted:

fknlo posted:

Go with this one. If their website is straight out of 1995, then that's a good sign that they've been around for 20 years. (Seriously though, old websites are an okay sign, but I'd advise against using someone your agent recommends).