Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

I accidentally bought two copies of Deus Ex: GoTY so https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=F4thTRuTD6Hyk8en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good game that can be played in offline mode, preferrably with a ton of replay value? Going to be without internet for a while very soon and I need to prepare my free time now, If I can.

Any fun FPSes, strategy, or whatever games welcome.

If you have any sort of tolerance/love for turn based strategy and somehow haven't done so already, the Total War games can eat up days at a time. The older ones (pre-Empire) don't require Steam to be launched, but I'm not sure about the newer ones.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anyone have any recommendations for a good game that can be played in offline mode, preferrably with a ton of replay value? Going to be without internet for a while very soon and I need to prepare my free time now, If I can.

There's always the indie game standbys like Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, or Don't Starve. They'll take a while to beat and replaying them is basically the point. XCOM is another good game with a lot of replayability.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mount and Blade: Warband? It doesn't necessarily look particularly impressive, but then I realise it's 3 AM and I've fired half my cavalry and I'm in the process of training some archers to siege that one castle where the guy who raided my village is hiding.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Jagged alliance 2 on steam or GOG can be played without loving around with offline mode. Just make a desktop shortcut and it will run without needing steam. It's one of my all-time favorites.

If you like old school shooters, the classic Doom games or duke nukem 3d are good picks as you can just use a source port like eduke32 or zdoom to play them.

der_rudi
Dec 26, 2012
For anyone interested in co-op games, the current daily deal Ibb&Obb is most certainly worth it. Very entertaining and challenging game.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Unbearable posted:

That's true for the collectors edition, normal one is fine.

The collector's edition is not up for sale in the Russian store. That warning is for the regular version.

You guys are confusing two separate region locks. One is where you can't buy it, which is mentioned in steamdb. The second is where you can't add it to your library, which is the case with DOS. There's nothing about the second one in steamdb.

Gimperial fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 22, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I don't see a thread for Planet Explorers but it's $15 on the midweek deal. Has anyone played it? The list of content under "current features" looks good so far and it seems like they've been putting out updates pretty regularly. It's too bad that fishing/herding aren't in yet but as long as I can farm/mine/craft in it and wander around I might pick it up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Gimperial posted:

The collector's edition is not up for sale in the Russian store. That warning is for the regular version.

You guys are confusing two separate region locks. One is where you can't buy it, which is mentioned in steamdb. The second is where you can't add it to your library, which is the case with DOS. There's nothing about the second one in steamdb.

but people have been adding the copies they get from the dude fine.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Gimperial posted:

The store notice can be wrong, it only takes a trip to SteamDB to verify that. Normal version definitely is region free, gifting is disabled for it in Russia but that is easily circumvented.

Dunno why CE is gone from Russian store now, but it's definitely why the region lock blurb shows up.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I don't see a thread for Planet Explorers but it's $15 on the midweek deal. Has anyone played it? The list of content under "current features" looks good so far and it seems like they've been putting out updates pretty regularly. It's too bad that fishing/herding aren't in yet but as long as I can farm/mine/craft in it and wander around I might pick it up.

I'm super tempted to just buy it and start a thread about it (assuming it isn't poo poo). It's one of the most interesting-looking games on my wishlist, yet I only have three friends out of 187 that own it, and only one has played it.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good game that can be played in offline mode.

I spent last March in a hospital bed and Civ 5 helped a lot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm super tempted to just buy it and start a thread about it (assuming it isn't poo poo). It's one of the most interesting-looking games on my wishlist, yet I only have three friends out of 187 that own it, and only one has played it.

When it came out it got a lot of dismal reviews, lack of content etc. Maybe once it exits EA it might be worth it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone have anything good to say about Dark Horizons? Looks like a Mechwarrior clone, hopefully a decent one. :v:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

You guys might want to take a minute to give Velvet Sundown a try. It's a free multiplayer game where you're a character on a yacht, trying to get information from other players who also have an agenda. Basically a social chat game, but this one converts your chat to voice. So this exchange gets a lot funnier when you hear it spoken:

quote:

Captain Swing: Know where I can score some weed?
Player: I think the man in the black suit.
Captain Swing: That's racist.

Okay last one I swear

Dude started tasing all the passengers right after that. I'm not making this up.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 22, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah downloading that immediately

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

You guys might want to take a minute to give Velvet Sundown a try. It's a free multiplayer game where you're a character on a yacht, trying to get information from other players who also have an agenda. Basically a social chat game, but this one converts your chat to voice. So this exchange gets a lot funnier when you hear it spoken:

ETA to John Madden achieved at hitherto unthinkable speeds.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Velvet Sundown update: You can play as a literal drug dealer and get all the other passengers high.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol so when they're asking for weed they're serious?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Awesome! posted:

lol so when they're asking for weed they're serious?

Yes.

The guy in my last screenshot keeps asking for women's underwear. At this point I'm ready to believe this is his actual mission objective.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Planet Explorers is pretty fun, but it is SUPER rough (Early Access strikes again). UI and Camera are absolutely horrible, some of the worlds it generates are absolutely amazing, there is a story to the game which is neither here nor there, but some direction to an otherwise sandbox game is appreciated. Really fun crafting system, rudimentary AI systems to setup turrets to defend your base, vehicles, etc. Online play can make it pretty fun using a hang glider through a canyon with a friend and then beat up some space dinosaurs.

For $15, if you really like sandbox, voxel base building, exploring amazing worlds, it'll be right up your alley, just don't expect a smooth experience.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Okay I lied.

The round before this one ended with a rap battle.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

Is it all just text or is there actual voiced dialog being exchanged? This game looks like an interactive soap opera complete with dumb plot developments and intrigue of the real ones on TV.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Trying to stay as spoiler free with the Dark Souls 2 DLC that's just been released - when abouts are you meant to tackle it?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone have anything good to say about Dark Horizons? Looks like a Mechwarrior clone, hopefully a decent one. :v:
The devs are saying there won't be microtransactions so that's a step up from being constantly asked to buy dumb gold plated mechs for $500.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Mushball posted:

Is it all just text or is there actual voiced dialog being exchanged? This game looks like an interactive soap opera complete with dumb plot developments and intrigue of the real ones on TV.

All voiced. You type whatever you want, and the game converts it to voiced dialog. It's even funnier than whatever you're imagining right now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yes.

The guy in my last screenshot keeps asking for women's underwear. At this point I'm ready to believe this is his actual mission objective.

All I'm hearing is that this game sounds like a small version of Second Life.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drifter posted:

All I'm hearing is that this game sounds like a small version of Second Life.

Way fewer giant dragon dongsMuch less mocking giant dragon dongs, I suspect.

Edit: I am bad at joke. :(

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd like it to play it for the laughs but the server is utter poo poo and keeps kicking me out.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Way fewer giant dragon dongsMuch less mocking giant dragon dongs, I suspect.

I'm not so sure.

quote:

Lora: How did you do that?
Ingmar: Do what?
Lora: Show your item
Ingmar: I can show you items

The system tried to covert *zzzzzip* to speech, too. Asterisks and all.

EDIT: Ingmar's voice is incredible

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Trying to stay as spoiler free with the Dark Souls 2 DLC that's just been released - when abouts are you meant to tackle it?

Maybe around SL 100 or so?

edit: you can take an end game character in and not feel overleveled

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 23, 2014

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
they do show up, yes

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
oh my god is this piece of poo poo down again

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tuesdays at 4 PM Pacific Whatever-the-hell Time are the Steam Maintenance Window.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone playing Velvet Sundown needs to just start belting 90s Disney in Microsoft Sam and see how long it takes to "ruin" the server.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

oh my god is this piece of poo poo down again

TUESDAY

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Orv posted:

Anyone playing Velvet Sundown needs to just start belting 90s Disney in Microsoft Sam and see how long it takes to "ruin" the server.

As in a whole new woooooooooorld and such?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Will somebody think of the tuesdays?!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Velvet Sundown is crashing for me, right on startup. Running it on a mac (10.9). Anyone else getting this? From the forums, it looks like this is a common occurrence, but I haven't seen any suggestions from the dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe around SL 100 or so?

edit: you can take an end game character in and not feel overleveled

What's the opinion on it so far?

• Locked thread