Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lfield
May 10, 2008
Even if it fails it'll be fun probably. Doing things is fun.

Or maybe hold off on opening your local business until you have a plan to take down Amazon, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alpacalips Now posted:

Don't tell me there's not single a part of you that wants a book/record store with a community art space to open and succeed in 2014.

Oh, I'm sure we all have a part that wants that sort of store nearby but in the real world they are are a dying thing in a declining industry.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, gently caress local businesses! Bow down to our corporate overlords.

again, wrong reading of the situation. It would be lovely if such a thing DID succeed, it's just very unlikely that it will, and the owners will end up wasting a shitload of their own and other peoples time, money and effort. Bookstores are dying, record stores are dying, and even massive corporations are feeling the pinch. It's unlikely to be something that can be a sustainable business long term.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

lfield posted:

Or maybe hold off on opening your local business until you have a plan to take down Amazon, whatever.

doing things with other people's money is SUPER fun too! Even funner than actually risking any of your own!

seriously, art spaces and the like are awesome, but they're not a viable business. There's probably always going to be *some* demand for out of print and secondhand books and records, but less so now than ever when the content is available for free or nearly free and in a more convenient format, hard-to-find books are much more likely to be bought as collectible objects than specifically for the words on the page. Which makes starting a business in it a very risky venture, and it's kinda lovely to ask for money from people for a risky, likely to fail venture.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

lfield posted:

Yeah, lets all waste time and money for someone else to have "fun" for a few months managing their badly thought out store, where they got the idea from a movie.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cage posted:

Yeah, lets all waste time and money for someone else to have "fun" for a few months managing their badly thought out store, where they got the idea from a movie.

Yeah, really sucks that everyone is being forced at gun point to donate money for this project...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Let's waste our time and money for 'fun'," he posted on the somethingawful forums.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I pretty much don't say anything on Facebook because "it is full of really dumb thoughts/opinions by people who are pretty dumb" but when perusing and responding to an IM I saw this post by a former roommate (red).

I don't know why, but it seems pretty dumb to say "it's not about politics, it's about Obama being a bad person who can't smile when giving a Medal of Honor"

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fatkraken posted:

again, wrong reading of the situation. It would be lovely if such a thing DID succeed, it's just very unlikely that it will, and the owners will end up wasting a shitload of their own and other peoples time, money and effort. Bookstores are dying, record stores are dying, and even massive corporations are feeling the pinch. It's unlikely to be something that can be a sustainable business long term.

Out by me the big independent bookstore, Page One from the time I moved out to Albuquerque moved from a decently sized place with a really nice selection of used books with some new, to a larger store with the same selection but now downsized to a not so good selection unless you're looking for alternative medicine, pagan topics, or local authors. Last time I was in there it was pretty depressing considering I used to walk out of there with a goodly sized shopping bag full of books to not finding anything.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
In the parallel universe where obama gives away medals it's

Obama smiled while giving away a medal! Doesn't he know how serious war is!!!!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I pretty much don't say anything on Facebook because "it is full of really dumb thoughts/opinions by people who are pretty dumb" but when perusing and responding to an IM I saw this post by a former roommate (red).

I don't know why, but it seems pretty dumb to say "it's not about politics, it's about Obama being a bad person who can't smile when giving a Medal of Honor"

You just know they'd be going "how dare he spoil such a solemn event by smiling?!" if he actually did.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kazil posted:

Yeah, really sucks that everyone is being forced at gun point to donate money for this project...
So that means we aren't allowed to call it a stupid idea?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

kazil posted:

This is how the government works

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair advertising and branding on a police car seems pretty loving Robocop.

Trivett is an auto dealership chain. They donated the car in the photo to the NSW police.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Besesoth posted:

Trivett is an auto dealership chain. They donated the car in the photo to the NSW police.

:nws::cumpolice:

Great mental image, that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regalingualius posted:

You just know they'd be going "how dare he spoil such a solemn event by smiling?!" if he actually did.

Oh I know, because I lived with person who posted it for a year and was in a fraternity with them. They are pants on head idiotic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, seriously they don't give out the Medal of Honor for organizing a bake sale. I assume the ceremony isn't along the line of "Holy poo poo dude you jumped on a literal loving grenade! How loving metal is that? HIGH FIVE!"

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Wasabi the J posted:

Except (though I hate to say it) PUA's occasionally have their tricks work.

Richard Feynman was a smart man and a PUA so maybe there's something to it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Richard Feynman was a smart man and a PUA so maybe there's something to it

If anyone didn't need any tricks to get more rear end than a toilet seat, it's Richard loving Feynman. He may have used the tricks, but he didn't need them.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cage posted:

So that means we aren't allowed to call it a stupid idea?

No I think it's a stupid idea too. But the "how dare they ask people for money just to have fun!" posts are stupid too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kazil posted:

No I think it's a stupid idea too. But the "how dare they ask people for money just to have fun!" posts are stupid too.
Well to start up and fail a business is a pretty bad example of fun, so no so far the only stupid thing is the original idea.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It's not stupid; it's naive.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aleph Null posted:

It's not stupid; it's naive.

Same result.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh, I'm sure we all have a part that wants that sort of store nearby but in the real world they are are a dying thing in a declining industry.

You realize that second statement shouldn't be true if the first one was, right? Everyone collectively shrugging their shoulders and going, "Welp, dying industry!" are a big part of WHY these stores are dying out/nearly impossible to start nowadays.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nikaer Drekin posted:

You realize that second statement shouldn't be true if the first one was, right? Everyone collectively shrugging their shoulders and going, "Welp, dying industry!" are a big part of WHY these stores are dying out/nearly impossible to start nowadays.

In a way, yeah.
I like the idea of cute local bookstores, but when it comes to actually spending money I'd rather buy a digital book on Amazon for $11 than a hardcover at a local bookstore for the $27 list price.

They should make it a video game store too, to hit all the major "make no money" bases.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

PART of us wants these stores to exist because they're nice to browse and chat with the owners, another part really does find digital distribution better than physical books in a physical store. Even secondhand paper books can be bought online more easily and cheaply than in person, through Amazon (though technically amazon is a middleman for most of these, the business actually fulfilling the order might well be a small local bricks and mortar store which has seen the writing on the wall and diversified)

I don't even buy books much anymore, support your local library guys!

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Jul 22, 2014

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
E: ^^^ I can't argue with that sentiment :D The Library's a great way to discover new books, but there are certain authors I know I like, so buying one of their books new is a relatively safe bet.

Fatkraken posted:

PART of us wants these stores to exist because they're nice to browse and chat with the owners, another part really does find digital distribution better than physical books in a physical store. Even secondhand paper books can be bought online more easily than in person, through Amazon (though technically amazon is a middleman for most of these, the business actually fulfilling the order might well be a small local bricks and mortar store which has seen the writing on the wall and diversified)

That's true, but I think "used" could be a good way to go for a lot of brick-and-mortar businesses. I'd love to have a used book store to see what weird stuff I could find; I was browsing in Goodwill a little while ago and found an Indiana Jones book, the Star Wars horror novel Deathtroopers, and some pulp western paperback, all for a buck apiece. I'm sure I could get those that cheaply online, but I doubt I ever would have sought them out- there's something about the fun of browsing through a store and finding little treasures like that that buying online can't replicate. Along the same lines, a local comic shop has rows and rows of boxes of old, dusty records for a dollar each. It makes it almost an event to go there, because there's no telling what strange gems I might find buried there.

And Kindles and stuff like that are neat, and really useful for someone who travels a lot or has a long commute, but for me at least they can't beat having an actual physical book. I like collecting books, and having my own copy of each- even though I know a digital copy would still be the same product, it just feels like a less interesting way to build a collection.

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 22, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I'd also like for there to be a video game store nearby that stocks hard to find things, old Nintendo carts, and has consoles hooked up for people to hang out and play on, but I also realize that this is a stupid business venture guaranteed to fail. A poo poo load of games released these days aren't ever put on physical media. I buy all of my new games on Steam. Why would I bother going somewhere when I can buy games cheaper with less effort, even at 2 a.m. when I'm naked and drunk? If I'm looking for old/out of print stuff or am collecting cartridges I'll have an easier time finding rare stuff or exactly what I'm looking for here on the interwebz.

The problem is that, as nice as it would be to have that kind of store around, the internet does literally everything it can do far, far better and more conveniently. I just accept that and get on with my life. Same thing with books, really. It's all digital now.

I remember, when I was a kid, there were arcades literally everywhere. There were also arcade games at gas stations, theaters, malls, wherever. drat things were pretty much all over, ready to eat every quarter you have. Now they only exist in far smaller numbers and mostly hang around in far smaller numbers to prey on nostalgia.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nikaer Drekin posted:

And Kindles and stuff like that are neat, and really useful for someone who travels a lot or has a long commute, but for me at least they can't beat having an actual physical book. I like collecting books, and having my own copy of each- even though I know a digital copy would still be the same product, it just feels like a less interesting way to build a collection.

This is step 1 on the way to the hit TLC show: Hoarding - Buried Alive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd also like for there to be a video game store nearby that stocks hard to find things, old Nintendo carts, and has consoles hooked up for people to hang out and play on, but I also realize that this is a stupid business venture guaranteed to fail. A poo poo load of games released these days aren't ever put on physical media. I buy all of my new games on Steam. Why would I bother going somewhere when I can buy games cheaper with less effort, even at 2 a.m. when I'm naked and drunk? If I'm looking for old/out of print stuff or am collecting cartridges I'll have an easier time finding rare stuff or exactly what I'm looking for here on the interwebz.

The problem is that, as nice as it would be to have that kind of store around, the internet does literally everything it can do far, far better and more conveniently. I just accept that and get on with my life. Same thing with books, really. It's all digital now.

I remember, when I was a kid, there were arcades literally everywhere. There were also arcade games at gas stations, theaters, malls, wherever. drat things were pretty much all over, ready to eat every quarter you have. Now they only exist in far smaller numbers and mostly hang around in far smaller numbers to prey on nostalgia.

Those type of stores are not really guaranteed failures. We have some thriving stores like that around here, including one that stocks as far back as Atari 2600 carts. It's definitely not going to make mad bank, but a store like that can take off fairly successfully, especially if they also buy used games from customers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Those type of stores are not really guaranteed failures. We have some thriving stores like that around here, including one that stocks as far back as Atari 2600 carts. It's definitely not going to make mad bank, but a store like that can take off fairly successfully, especially if they also buy used games from customers.

A good chunk of that's knowing the area and what degree of business is possible.

Case in point, a recently married friend of mine moved from here to Wilkes, NC because his wife wanted to be closer to her parents since their health's poorly. He's fairly nerdly, games a lot, watches the usual batch of sci-fi and all, and here in Albuquerque, there's a pretty decent market for that. Since his move, he doesn't have the same access to the nerdly pursuits like he did here and was seriously debating opening up a collectibles/games/comics type brick and mortar store. Considering Wilkes is one of those small Southern towns where things close early and the big job choices are either Lowes or the Tyson chicken plant, it took a bit of talking to convince him a genre store like that was a very bad idea.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

How to get human fluids on your order.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

belt posted:

How to get human fluids on your order.

I'm sure it went exactly like this.

"Where are you calling from?"

"What the gently caress is this, some kinda 'good cop' 'bad cop' routine!? gently caress YOU! I JUST WANT TO ORDER SOME FOOD!"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

A good chunk of that's knowing the area and what degree of business is possible.

Case in point, a recently married friend of mine moved from here to Wilkes, NC because his wife wanted to be closer to her parents since their health's poorly. He's fairly nerdly, games a lot, watches the usual batch of sci-fi and all, and here in Albuquerque, there's a pretty decent market for that. Since his move, he doesn't have the same access to the nerdly pursuits like he did here and was seriously debating opening up a collectibles/games/comics type brick and mortar store. Considering Wilkes is one of those small Southern towns where things close early and the big job choices are either Lowes or the Tyson chicken plant, it took a bit of talking to convince him a genre store like that was a very bad idea.

Yeah, I suspect they do well enough here partly because there are a few colleges around, and because we're a big Navy area. So there's a constant influx of relatively young people, a lot of which will likely be into nerdy things.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Korgan posted:

Need to keep an eye on red in case he posts more sovereign citizen hilarity on green's wall.

This exact post just appeared in my feed too, I was about to post it here then noticed it looked very familiar. Small world.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

"We middle class white males are going to be the most persecuted minorities ever! 1488"

the OP is a rich Vietnamese guy I know from high school who went to engineering school at Purdue and landed a job a month after graduating, and last year he posted "Dear black people, please don't riot over the Trayvon verdict" on his facebook

Jerry Manderbilt has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Jul 23, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"We middle class white males are going to be the most persecuted minorities ever! 1488"

He almost sounds like he's planning to turn himself into a minority somehow...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Kavak posted:

He'll get back at those underrepresented minorities by going transethnic, let's just wait and see :bahgawd:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Kavak posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

IT IS SO HARD TO BE STRAIGHT, LET ME TELL YOU *can hold hands with partner in public and talk about partner at work without fear*

• Locked thread