Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You mean to tell me that a telco made an error, reached out to let me know and then did the equivalent of printing me free money to make up for it all without me having to do anything? In Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zigmidge posted:

You mean to tell me that a telco made an error, reached out to let me know and then did the equivalent of printing me free money to make up for it all without me having to do anything? In Canada?

"Un-believable!" :vince:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Team unlimited, be incorrect as much as you want Teksavvy :smugdog:

TSI should really stop billing against their system though, its like nonstop posts about discrepancies of numbers.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

37th Chamber posted:

Team unlimited, be incorrect as much as you want Teksavvy :smugdog:

TSI should really stop billing against their system though, its like nonstop posts about discrepancies of numbers.

Team unlimited is the best.

That said, I did send them a few months of bandwidth data from my router since their records were way higher for my usage. This was for rCable and after their system went live.

Though I admit I haven't actually tested to ensure that my routers reporting is 100% accurate.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I don't think I can even access my usage with Distributel, what with all their plans being unlimited. I kind of want to see it just to see if I'm really going over what a TekSavvy 300GB plan would give me. But even if I didn't, I'd rather pay extra for not having to give a poo poo about it. And it's still cheaper than Videotron. :buddy:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They also have zap-the-cap which, while not for everyone, is a fairly innovative way to let people manage their own usage.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

EngineerJoe posted:

They also have zap-the-cap which, while not for everyone, is a fairly innovative way to let people manage their own usage.

Yup, getting unlimited service for the same price as a capped tier is a great incentive for customers, and it also helps Teksavvvy reduce their (ridiculous) UBB costs. Before ZTC we were monitoring usage via the router, here's what three people with Netflix and Steam can do when not having to worry about usage (minor hiccup in May):

code:
eth1  /  monthly
       month        rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
    ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
      Mar '14    291.32 GiB |   26.31 GiB |  317.63 GiB |  994.79 kbit/s
      Apr '14    447.03 GiB |   27.97 GiB |  474.99 GiB |    1.54 Mbit/s
      May '14     25.95 GiB |    1.15 GiB |   27.10 GiB |   84.87 kbit/s
      Jun '14    813.84 GiB |   28.99 GiB |  842.83 GiB |    2.73 Mbit/s
      Jul '14    466.97 GiB |   24.66 GiB |  491.63 GiB |    2.19 Mbit/s
    ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
    estimated    663.21 GiB |   35.02 GiB |  698.22 GiB |

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

A c E posted:

Team unlimited is the best.

That said, I did send them a few months of bandwidth data from my router since their records were way higher for my usage. This was for rCable and after their system went live.

Though I admit I haven't actually tested to ensure that my routers reporting is 100% accurate.

Your routers numbers will always be MARGINALLY lower than what TSI reports, overhead/dropped traffic/line noise etc, but when its getting in to gigabytes of difference obviously something is up.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Septimus posted:

Just checked my usage and see that the past four days have not been zeroed out.

edit: I think this only affects videotron cable

Videotron and Teksavvy have an amazing relationship, so I'm glad this happened :getin:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

37th Chamber posted:

Your routers numbers will always be MARGINALLY lower than what TSI reports, overhead/dropped traffic/line noise etc, but when its getting in to gigabytes of difference obviously something is up.

Yeah it was in the gigabytes. Tens of gigabytes higher on certain days.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Announcement made today that BCE has formally purchased Bell Aliant and are bringing them private as a BCE subsidiary. Wonder if this will mean the end of no UBB in the Bell Aliant serviced territories.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Switched over from Cogeco to Start.ca and it was as easy and painless as possible.

Even got a phone call at 7:30pm just to say "We see your modem online and traffic happening, just want to make sure everything is okay and your not having any issues!"

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Give it time, Cogeco will disappoint you soon enough. Incumbents go out of their way to make you miserable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

He switched from Cogeco.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

He switched from Cogeco.

And the physical line, and gateway to Start's network is still owned/provided by Cogeco, the incumbent in his area.

Hell, he could still be in for a truck roll just to disconnect his line, after all, he cancelled his service with them right? :haw:

edit: in hind sight, it as a pretty terrible joke i made

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 9, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rogers has managed to gently caress with my Start connection before, but they fixed it themselves before Start could arrange for a tech.

Then again, Rogers also disconnected my parents' cable entirely, and they've been on Rogers proper forever, so the only real difference with being on a 3rd party is that it might take longer to get a Robellus tech to admit it's their problem and actually fix it.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I never had a problem with Cogeco. I have always received my reported speeds and never any latency issues.

They just wanted so much money for our plan once we canceled our cable and home telephone services I couldn't justify it. I asked retentions if they could offer me the same deal as start but no dice.

I have been a customer for 10 years, I don't see why you wouldn't want to make a slight bit less to continue making money in the long run.

PVS or whoever holds the residential/light commercial cable contract in this area is it's own set of awful. We seriously run conduits for these guys as part of our project scope and they come along and tie wrap to the outside of the pipe.

I've actually worked for Bell Canada (or SNC-Lavalin) and the backbone facilities are some of the coolest places I have been. It's like walking through something from Fallout. Everything is all 1940's and 50's colours and designs (and internal building infrastructure) but with all this state of the art technology shoehorned into the buildings.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

eXXon posted:

Rogers has managed to gently caress with my Start connection before, but they fixed it themselves before Start could arrange for a tech.

Then again, Rogers also disconnected my parents' cable entirely, and they've been on Rogers proper forever, so the only real difference with being on a 3rd party is that it might take longer to get a Robellus tech to admit it's their problem and actually fix it.

Yeah this seems to happen a lot. Rogers tech disabled my landlords Rogers internet when we moved in to the basemnet, while getting our TekSavvy lines set up. Apparently there were "no active accounts at our residence", despite my insistence that he was wrong. A tech came back a week later to reconnect the landlord and cut my TekSavvy line. The third visit they hooked up my line without disconnecting anything.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I hear about situations like that often enough that I feel like Rogers does it intentionally.

Hell a friend switched from teksavvy to start just last week and Rogers took it upon themselves to completely disconnect him three days before the switchover. Neither teksavvy or start knew why they did that.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah I assume Rogers employs some shady practices.

Any minor change to my TekSavvy services results in at least a day of outage. Literally every time I've made changes on rCable.
- change of speed resulted in 48 hours of down time
- modem upgrade resulted in 72 hours of downtime
- change of speed resulted in 24 hours of downtime

I now try to plan any changes around times where I will be away from home for a bit.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Teksavvy cable 50 in Edmonton in a high rise has been pretty good to me for almost 6 months, but it's still like 85 bucks. Are there any other services in Edmonton offering a 50 down and 5-10 up for less then that?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Mederlock posted:

Teksavvy cable 50 in Edmonton in a high rise has been pretty good to me for almost 6 months, but it's still like 85 bucks. Are there any other services in Edmonton offering a 50 down and 5-10 up for less then that?

Unless your building has access to one of those fiber solutions very unlikely teksavvys shaw reselling is almost always the cheapest.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
With the current tariff rates, that's pretty much the cheapest you're going to get TPIA 50Mbps.

There is a hearing in the fall, maybe the CRTC will do something right and they'll lower costs.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Are there any ISPs I should know about in Vancouver, other than Telus, Shaw and Teksavvy? It looks like Bell and Rogers don't operate here?

I'm currently with Telus, but I'm at the end of my contract period, so I want to explore my options. TBH I'd be happy to stay with Telus, but want to see if there's any other deals going on with competitors that I could use as leverage when haggling the renewal price.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Are there any ISPs I should know about in Vancouver, other than Telus, Shaw and Teksavvy? It looks like Bell and Rogers don't operate here?

I'm currently with Telus, but I'm at the end of my contract period, so I want to explore my options. TBH I'd be happy to stay with Telus, but want to see if there's any other deals going on with competitors that I could use as leverage when haggling the renewal price.

Nah, it's just those three. Novus as well if you live in the Downtown core.

I'd suggest calling Telus and attempting to cancel once the contract is up. A few months ago I called them and said "I'd like to cancel my TV/Internet" and they immediately offered $60/mo discount for 1 year. It was painless.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

less than three posted:

Nah, it's just those three. Novus as well if you live in the Downtown core.

I'd suggest calling Telus and attempting to cancel once the contract is up. A few months ago I called them and said "I'd like to cancel my TV/Internet" and they immediately offered $60/mo discount for 1 year. It was painless.

That's good to hear! We've had a brutal package for the past 12 months but I'm going to cancel our TV service entirely and want to cut a killer deal on our internet.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Depends where you live in Vancouver there are quite a few ftth services and some buildings have telus 100 mbit Ethernet service it really depends on where you live. Telus is the best tv provider but also the worst internet provider. Teksavvy cable is always the best price for mbit/cap because they off the 25/2.5 unlimited for 45 if you cant get any of the fiber or ethernet service providers.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Sprawl posted:

Depends where you live in Vancouver there are quite a few ftth services and some buildings have telus 100 mbit Ethernet service it really depends on where you live. Telus is the best tv provider but also the worst internet provider. Teksavvy cable is always the best price for mbit/cap because they off the 25/2.5 unlimited for 45 if you cant get any of the fiber or ethernet service providers.

I found Telus internet to be pretty good, aside from the fact it's twice as expensive as it should be and the router they force you to use sucks a dick.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I found Telus internet to be pretty good, aside from the fact it's twice as expensive as it should be and the router they force you to use sucks a dick.

Telus internet is okay if you get the stuff that optik is on because their tv service goes over it so people would complain a lot of it was down at all so its up almost all the time same with shaws because it does all the digital cable stuff now but the cable stuff gets better price/speed. Just dont get lovely telus dsl the normal phone line stuff its junk.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Has anyone used https://www.vmedia.ca/ before?

Want to upgrade / change plans on my current (25/1) package through teksavvy, and we wouldn't mind having television either. The unlimited bundled into the 30/5 package is nice, or the 60/10 for 65 is also nice.

I had to purchase a new modem to move to a higher package anyway, and its on its way. Wonder if its worth changing.

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

Rawrbomb posted:

Has anyone used https://www.vmedia.ca/ before?

Want to upgrade / change plans on my current (25/1) package through teksavvy, and we wouldn't mind having television either. The unlimited bundled into the 30/5 package is nice, or the 60/10 for 65 is also nice.

I had to purchase a new modem to move to a higher package anyway, and its on its way. Wonder if its worth changing.

My mom has vmedia. It's basically a crappy android ip-tv unit and voip phone service. She's happy although she has to restart it sometimes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This Rogers "Shomi" thing sounds like garbage to me.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/what-you-need-to-know-about-rogers-shaw-new-video-service-shomi/article20207264/

If it wasn't for their monopoly status it would be dead within 8 months. Instead it'll probably limp on for a couple years and get scaled back to merge with their regular VoD, I bet.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If it's anything like their current VOD it'll be poo poo. Expect unskippable commercials interleaved into everything.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Not only that but it sounds like the majority of it will just be the poo poo programming you'd get with a regular cable subscription, albeit for a lot less (unless you need one to access this).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

wow this is great I moved to an actual city and surely there is a civilized internet connection 100meters from a nait

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

priznat posted:

This Rogers "Shomi" thing sounds like garbage to me.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/what-you-need-to-know-about-rogers-shaw-new-video-service-shomi/article20207264/

If it wasn't for their monopoly status it would be dead within 8 months. Instead it'll probably limp on for a couple years and get scaled back to merge with their regular VoD, I bet.

If it's anything like Cogeco's online VOD, it will also count towards your monthly data caps, doubling down ho.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rukus posted:

Not only that but it sounds like the majority of it will just be the poo poo programming you'd get with a regular cable subscription, albeit for a lot less (unless you need one to access this).

Oh Rukus, we should all know that you will need cable and phone with rogers first to spend an additional $20 a month on this service.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh Rukus, we should all know that you will need cable and phone with rogers first to spend an additional $20 a month on this service.

I give it about a year tops before they start bundling shows into extra cost premium packages.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Bell pulled all of Teksavvy's DSL interconnects for Eastern Canada overnight in an unannounced "maintenance" :allears:

Now their routers are making GBS threads the bed from hundreds of thousands of customers trying to reestablish their PPPOE tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

37th Chamber posted:

Bell pulled all of Teksavvy's DSL interconnects for Eastern Canada overnight in an unannounced "maintenance" :allears:

Now their routers are making GBS threads the bed from hundreds of thousands of customers trying to reestablish their PPPOE tunnel.

I'm sure Bell's first party customers were also impacted by this maintahahahaha. Of course not. :haw: