Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

FreshFeesh posted:

... to restore a mailbox from a user who retired two years before we began managing this company's network. Two or three server migrations ago.

Their backups from that time period are not substantial, and may be nonexistent.

The email is desired for use in litigation.

What time do the bars open?

Crisis averted (ish). Blame was placed squarely on the previous IT firm who to no one's surprise didn't have any sort of data retention policy and apparently had a habit of deleting "old stuff" sporadically.

Monday I'm meeting with the client to hammer home a policy for email retention and to make sure they've been doing backups (:10bux: says the same tape has been in the drive for three months).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

TWBalls posted:

At the 2 hospitals I've worked at, this is Medical Records job. Also, they use these huge Fujitsu scanners that are able to scan pages ridiculously fast. I don't think they worry about OCR as I'm pretty sure everything is scanned as a TIFF.

We've got the next one up (fi-6800) just sitting in our stock room collecting dust. HR wanted it to go all ER with their documents, and were pushing hard to get it ready as quick as possible, but just clammed up at the last minute and now the project is in indefinite hiatus. Sixteen grand worth of scanner just sitting around, doing nothing. These things need regular maintenance too.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

hihifellow posted:

We've got the next one up (fi-6800) just sitting in our stock room collecting dust. HR wanted it to go all ER with their documents, and were pushing hard to get it ready as quick as possible, but just clammed up at the last minute and now the project is in indefinite hiatus. Sixteen grand worth of scanner just sitting around, doing nothing. These things need regular maintenance too.

Fujitsu fi scanners are legit. They really don't require much maintenance past changing out rollers and cleaning the glass. I've seen one go 5 million pages and was only retired because they wanted to buy a new scanner instead of paying a tech to tune it up.

You can call up Fujitsu support and get a real tech person after one menu option and maybe a couple minutes of waiting.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We've sold a bunch of fi-series scanners over the years and yeah they really are loving bulletproof. The only ones I've had to replace were due to some bizarre Windows 7/EMR compatibility issue.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...
Yeah, those scanners are tanks.

The software we use at our site to integrate it with our data can best be described as 'flaky', but we've never had a problem with the actual units.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

eithedog posted:

Something desperately tried to get out :ohdear:

I literally thought it was a modern "aerodynamic" design even after trying to find the problem for 2 minutes. Only now i realized what was actually going on in that picture.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sirotan posted:

Look at this guy, thinking we could afford something like this.

But really, the only value these records have is in case we are legally obliged to provide them. We're not a hospital, we're not curing rare diseases, there's probably a certain about of data that would be valuable for tracking purposes but we don't have the money or personnel to ever be able to do it. We're just bidding our time until the only records we're storing are electronic.

How expensive do you think this sort of thing is? If you find a competitive company to do it, costs are often in the 5c/pg or less area. There's probably no money in it for your company, but there might be SOME way for you to make a buck off the deal once you have them in a digital format.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

How expensive do you think this sort of thing is? If you find a competitive company to do it, costs are often in the 5c/pg or less area. There's probably no money in it for your company, but there might be SOME way for you to make a buck off the deal once you have them in a digital format.

Beyond the costs of converting it I would imagine the infrastructure requirements to host it and back it up would be crazy high as well.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

go3 posted:

We've sold a bunch of fi-series scanners over the years and yeah they really are loving bulletproof. The only ones I've had to replace were due to some bizarre Windows 7/EMR compatibility issue.

The scanner hardware is cool but hearing the word Kofax p much gives me PTSD now.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
SIP trunk went down last night and now this morning the ISP is saying that their circuit is fine and yet we're still down.

There's gonna be a lot of finger pointing on this one.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

pr0digal posted:

SIP trunk went down last night and now this morning the ISP is saying that their circuit is fine and yet we're still down.

There's gonna be a lot of finger pointing on this one.

Is this Sip to you, or Sip to an Adtrans or Audiocodes device on prem that converts the SIP to PRI and sends it to you? I have had a lot of issues where the major providers have forgotten a lot about non-SIP protocols.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Is this Sip to you, or Sip to an Adtrans or Audiocodes device on prem that converts the SIP to PRI and sends it to you? I have had a lot of issues where the major providers have forgotten a lot about non-SIP protocols.

Adtran on site and then into our IP Office implementation. ISP is claiming they don't manage the VoIP service so I'm sitting on hold waiting to tell them that they have a box on site.

Though granted the IP Office Monitor is reporting that the last reported error on the trunk was last night but the system is still down and No Free Channels error. So the trunk did go down but now it looks like IPO is being a bitch.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

peak debt posted:

The scanner hardware is cool but hearing the word Kofax p much gives me PTSD now.

I've been working on the CEO's "automated accounts payable" project since loving January.

gently caress Kofax.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

m.hache posted:

Beyond the costs of converting it I would imagine the infrastructure requirements to host it and back it up would be crazy high as well.

True, we used to underbid jobs for scanning and processing in order to sign 10 year storage/backup contracts that were substantially more lucrative.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A third party is going to be renting edit space from us as I just found out. Got a phone call from the COO's assistant asking about rental of laptops and phones as well.

They're buying a "support plan" from the IT and Post departments. This is gonna be fun.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

A third party is going to be renting edit space from us as I just found out. Got a phone call from the COO's assistant asking about rental of laptops and phones as well.

They're buying a "support plan" from the IT and Post departments. This is gonna be fun.

Deep Freeze the drives.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Meanwhile, regarding biometrics: a former client of mine went fingerprint scanner, while also keeping the policy that passwords must be rotated at least once a month and may not be reused for at least a year.

It's been 8 months or so.

Now it's been ten months. Guess who called me this morning...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

sfwarlock posted:

Time to take off that shoe! You got 10 toes, right?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

I don't remember reading this when you originally posted it.

Seriously, how hard is it to understand that after 10 months you're hosed? You LITERALLY can count on your hands to figure out the inherent problem.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AlternateAccount posted:

Assuming 2500 pages of paper in a banker box, and probably 500 boxes of records scattered across the state at our dozen+ physical locations, that's still $62,500 at 5c/page PLUS the cost to physically transport all those files to the site to be scanned, then transported back, and the cost to pay a dedicated staff person to coordinate it all. All to do something that has $0 in value to us, a non-profit with basically no money. I honestly don't know how we'd make money off scanning a bunch of medical records either, all I can see is the liability we'd be opening ourselves up to by doing it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mysteryberto posted:

Fujitsu fi scanners are legit. They really don't require much maintenance past changing out rollers and cleaning the glass. I've seen one go 5 million pages and was only retired because they wanted to buy a new scanner instead of paying a tech to tune it up.

You can call up Fujitsu support and get a real tech person after one menu option and maybe a couple minutes of waiting.

Yup. We still have a bunch of Fi-4120's circa 2001 that are in daily use (surprising considering how poorly they're maintained). They've slowly been dropping off, usually due to the internal rollers breaking down and turning into the consistency of a melted jellybean. We're also trying to phase them out since they're not supported in Windows 7. I've gotten them to work on 32bit edition of Win7 using the Vista driver, but we've been pushing out Win7 64bit for the most part as many of our newer systems come with 8GB RAM.

We don't even touch the bigger ones as Medical Records has a support contract for those.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

m.hache posted:

Deep Freeze the drives.

The Mac version isn't that expensive. Maybe I can get the COO to approve a few copies

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

The Mac version isn't that expensive. Maybe I can get the COO to approve a few copies

I was joking but poo poo that would make your life so much easier...

As long as they use the network share.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

m.hache posted:

I was joking but poo poo that would make your life so much easier...

As long as they use the network share.

Which they won't and then all their data will be gone

Because people can't follow simple instructions

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

Which they won't and then all their data will be gone

Because people can't follow simple instructions

Well, time to charge them on a per-call basis.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

m.hache posted:

I don't remember reading this when you originally posted it.

Seriously, how hard is it to understand that after 10 months you're hosed? You LITERALLY can count on your hands to figure out the inherent problem.

What about old Joe that lost two fingers to a pickle slicer accident back in '72?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

What about old Joe that lost two fingers to a pickle slicer accident back in '72?

If the pickle slicer had biometrics this never would have happened.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Sirotan posted:

Assuming 2500 pages of paper in a banker box, and probably 500 boxes of records scattered across the state at our dozen+ physical locations, that's still $62,500 at 5c/page PLUS the cost to physically transport all those files to the site to be scanned, then transported back, and the cost to pay a dedicated staff person to coordinate it all. All to do something that has $0 in value to us, a non-profit with basically no money. I honestly don't know how we'd make money off scanning a bunch of medical records either, all I can see is the liability we'd be opening ourselves up to by doing it.

My mum, when she was still alive, went into hospital to have a shunt put in after a series of brain operations.

The medical notes arrived a full day after she arrived. Thankfully there were some electronic stuff on record, but the fact that in TYOOL 2014 there were over 100 pages of records, waiting in a box somewhere, to be shipped by TNT I think it were, between some central repository and the hospital in question, feels rather weird.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

But just think how much more secure those physical papers are! Someone would actually have to FIND them and then look at them!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
We had a huge issue with Clarity today; most of reporting was not working in production, but dev and test were fine. The system has been down for 5 hours with multiple calls to the vendor, multiple levels of support involved including our subject matter experts in the application and reporting, the whole works. Systems Engineering (my area) finally gets involved.

I fix the problem in 4 seconds when a comparison between the file structure of Dev, Test, and Prod (they're all kept identical) shows that an important folder was accidentally moved. Our poo poo implementation allows for this since the entire share on these servers is ACLed wide open for "Everyone" in the security rights. I'm now expected to show up tomorrow to the Root Cause Analysis meeting and make the fix sound as "technical as possible" in order to save other related parties the embarrassment of how easy this was to remediate.

So far I've come up with this being a Layer 6/Layer 7 conflict due to a failed half-replication within the critical application directory.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

We had a huge issue with Clarity today; most of reporting was not working in production, but dev and test were fine. The system has been down for 5 hours with multiple calls to the vendor, multiple levels of support involved including our subject matter experts in the application and reporting, the whole works. Systems Engineering (my area) finally gets involved.

I fix the problem in 4 seconds when a comparison between the file structure of Dev, Test, and Prod (they're all kept identical) shows that an important folder was accidentally moved. Our poo poo implementation allows for this since the entire share on these servers is ACLed wide open for "Everyone" in the security rights. I'm now expected to show up tomorrow to the Root Cause Analysis meeting and make the fix sound as "technical as possible" in order to save other related parties the embarrassment of how easy this was to remediate.

So far I've come up with this being a Layer 6/Layer 7 conflict due to a failed half-replication within the critical application directory.
"Y'all done hosed up." *drops mic*

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

"You see, the problem lies in the hierarchical structure inherently set down by HR. IE, the other departments are loving retarded"

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

nexxai posted:

"Y'all done hosed up." *drops mic*

Seriously, make them feel stupid. Explain how this could be avoided in the future by locking down the share ACLs and implementing a sane QA process for going from Test to Prod. Hint: everyone who isn't in Systems Engineering gets absolutely no access to production.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you are going to do that try to do it in a way that doesn't make you look like an asshat though!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'd be real tempted to ignore the fix and instead focus on the root cause. You know. Since the meeting is titled Root Cause Analysis. Are they really not asking you to weigh in on the alleged subject of the meeting?

I know the answer to that question. I know they just want someone to spray :techno: at them and then to find a scapegoat to rake over the coals, instead of letting their experts fix the underlying problem.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The root cause (fixing security rights) will certainly be discussed and possibly (but probably not) remediated, but the deeper root cause is an application development team that is becoming increasingly non-technical and makes no effort to really try at anything they create or support. No real fix for that kind of lack of passion and negligence beyond cleaning house. :(

Its a shame because I like a lot of the people over there but it really feels like no one tries. A ton of issues fall to the feet of Systems Engineering because of this lack of competence.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

The root cause (fixing security rights) will certainly be discussed and possibly (but probably not) remediated, but the deeper root cause is an application development team that is becoming increasingly non-technical and makes no effort to really try at anything they create or support. No real fix for that kind of lack of passion and negligence beyond cleaning house. :(

Its a shame because I like a lot of the people over there but it really feels like no one tries. A ton of issues fall to the feet of Systems Engineering because of this lack of competence.

Screenshot that post.

That's your presentation.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

pr0digal posted:

Adtran on site and then into our IP Office implementation. ISP is claiming they don't manage the VoIP service so I'm sitting on hold waiting to tell them that they have a box on site.

Though granted the IP Office Monitor is reporting that the last reported error on the trunk was last night but the system is still down and No Free Channels error. So the trunk did go down but now it looks like IPO is being a bitch.

Adtran rebooted and forgot all its settings. I have seen this happen so many times.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Alighieri posted:

Adtran rebooted and forgot all its settings. I have seen this happen so many times.

ISP is saying that everything is up on their end. When I call back tomorrow I'll request that the tech check the Adtran "just to make sure everything is good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

pr0digal posted:

ISP is saying that everything is up on their end. When I call back tomorrow I'll request that the tech check the Adtran "just to make sure everything is good"

Be sure to request that they reboot the Adtran just to make sure everything is good as well after they tell you that the config looks good. I have seen that before too.

• Locked thread