Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Went on a roadtrip to the Adirondacks in NY. Only issue was I ran over a thick plastic bag that I didnt even see, it got caught on my catalytic converter and melted all over it. At first I thought it was overheating electronics that was making the odor, or something metal being heated up. I sniffed around the whole interior, wheel wells, trunk and hood before I thought to check underneath. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

coolskillrex remix posted:

Indeed, its just the newest coyote makes 430 gawt dam horse power in screaming N/A form and overall the car weighs only 170lbs more as a result.

If the ecoboost mustang was 3300lbs it would be a completely different story (as in id probably sell my brz right away for it)

Cobb makes loving shitloads of power out of the little fiesta st engine so if they can do the same with 2.3L ecoboost (like almost scrape 400ft lbs of torque) then yes they will have trouble keeping them on the lots.

poo poo, there's guys making those numbers with the old Lima 2.3 out of the SVO/Turbocoupe, and that's a single-cam engine designed in the 70s. I imagine we'll see a rapid explosion of aftermarket parts soon after release like we did with the Coyote.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Thought i remembered reading the GT comes with a lot of stuff standard that you have to pay extra for on the ecoboost.. even then i would have still been way off. Its a $5k difference if you get ecoboost performance pack vs a no option base gt.
From the order guide:
ALL BASE ECOBOOST® CONTENT PLUS:
MECHANICAL
Electronic Line-lock (Track Use Only)
● Engine – 5.0L Ti-VCT V8
● Engine Oil Cooler
● Larger Brake Rotors with 4-Piston Calipers
Launch Control (Manual Trans Only)
EXTERIOR
● Air Extractor Hood Vents
● Dual Bright Exhaust with Rolled Polished Tips
● Raised Blade Decklid Spoiler
● Wheels – 18" X 8” Magnetic Painted/Machined Aluminum

Not that much more content, its primarily the engine and some extra programming for line lock and launch control for a $6930 price difference.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Cage posted:

Went on a roadtrip to the Adirondacks in NY. Only issue was I ran over a thick plastic bag that I didnt even see, it got caught on my catalytic converter and melted all over it. At first I thought it was overheating electronics that was making the odor, or something metal being heated up. I sniffed around the whole interior, wheel wells, trunk and hood before I thought to check underneath. Oh well.

Been there, that poo poo will stink for weeks unless you want to get under there and chisel it off. I didn't (Mostly because my Accord's cat had that basketweave type thing going on, totally hosed.), so it stank for weeks.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
Anyone have any suggestions for a good bike rack? I've still got the 14 V6 Premium Coupe (though that 15 GT is mighty tempting).

(I am aware they look a bit ridiculous).

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Found the problem. While removing old useless emissions wires and stuff I made a dumb error and if I was smart would have found it earlier. Since it's been rebuilt twice and worked on so many times there have been a lot of hands in what turned out to be less than optimal wiring. Hence why I was pulling it apart. Hell, I've cut the entire fuse panel out of the driver's side and redoing it all in the glove box. No reason for extra crap.

Anyways, One of the hot wires for the ignition was spliced into an AC wire. I stripped that wire out without realizing they had a hot wire going to it for some reason. All is well and we're currently rewiring the car. Because text is boring this is a sloppy photo of the awful process.

Thanks to those who offered total common sense which I thought I covered. I decided to recheck grounds and test wires and figured it all out pretty quick once we stripped everything we didn't "need." Wiring sucks but once it's done it'll be a treat.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 21, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4579802747.html

First two pics are normal enough, and then this:

The hell did he do? :stare:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i do enjoy how the front end is smashed to poo poo in the other 2 pictures then the third, that one, is some kind of 05-09 frankenstein haha

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

That thing is an abomination.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Listed as "fair condition"

Not sure at what point you call "fair" a 20 hour detail, need for a whole new front end, realign all body panels, and go knows what else.

Is there anything on this thing worth $3200?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
I wouldn't pay a dime over $1500 for a 99 v6 in pristine condition. God drat that was a bad car.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So my 06 GT just died. It started making a rattling noise, and then the engine killed. It cranks but won't start. Other than it sounds expensive, I know no other details.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
How metallic was the rattling noise?

If it sounded like a 20-man fight using forks, probably top-end.

If it sounded like people battling with metal piping, probably bottom.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody have experience with rebuilding T5's or other transmissions? Could anybody tell me if this transmission is in need of a full rebuild and possibly gears?

http://imgur.com/a/gosl2

From a '97 3.8L V6

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mechaet posted:

How metallic was the rattling noise?

If it sounded like a 20-man fight using forks, probably top-end.

If it sounded like people battling with metal piping, probably bottom.

My suspicions were correct. It DOES sound expensive.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

So my 06 GT just died. It started making a rattling noise, and then the engine killed. It cranks but won't start. Other than it sounds expensive, I know no other details.

No need to panic yet. Did you try looking underneath the hood? Is the drive belt intact? Do you have fuel pressure? Might be a slipped timing belt. Just pray it didn't break. Try spinning the crankshaft nut, if it spins you might be alright.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

lets get the cheap things out of the way first before you panic.

I dont know how car savvy you are, but when you say it rattles, does that mean the alternator? it would be a clicking noise, is that the cranking noise you hear?
if so it could be a dead battery?

Second, do you have bad gas? filter is clogged or something like that? the engine cranks and dies from fuel starvation?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's definitely not a power issue, as the car cranks just fine. Did some diagnostics and found that the engine is no longer creating/reading oil pressure. Prior to the car breaking down there were no check oil lights and when I checked the oil right after the car broke down it was at the normal 'hot' level and I didn't see any metal flakes or glitter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Intake valve :suicide:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Don't look at it as a repair. Look at it as a reason to upgrade

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tide posted:

Don't look at it as a repair. Look at it as a reason to upgrade

If by upgrade you mean purchase another vehicle, then yeah. The cost of getting someone to replace the engine on an 8 year old vehicle with 170k miles is really close to 100 percent of the value of my ride. I just don't have the tools or facilities to pull an engine. Or the liquidity.

Update: now I'm looking at a 2014 GT with a stick for 29k. Am I loving insane for considering this?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 24, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My 2000 GT surges up and down at idle and rides pretty jerky with the AC on. I've checked the refrigerant and it appears to have enough in the system judging by the pressure in the low pressure side.

Here is a video with the AC on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2dYPnK-55A

It is solid and steady with the AC off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIMriZXrC0

I can see the little idler pulley thing wiggle around on the belt (#7 above) when I look under the hood with the engine and AC running. That seems to coincide with the smaller surging. The larger surging (where it drops down under 500rpm and then bounces back up to 1100ish momentarily) seems to coincide with the compressor (#6) switching on. Sometimes when the compressor switches on, the engine stalls.

Anybody have any idea what could be happening? Is my compressor effed?

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Get your piggy bank out because poppa's gonna want a bigger turbo.

EB Engine bay for 2015+:

Look at all that space for activities!!!

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

If by upgrade you mean purchase another vehicle, then yeah. The cost of getting someone to replace the engine on an 8 year old vehicle with 170k miles is really close to 100 percent of the value of my ride. I just don't have the tools or facilities to pull an engine. Or the liquidity.

Update: now I'm looking at a 2014 GT with a stick for 29k. Am I loving insane for considering this?

The KBB on the car with that milage is still $7,500. An engine would run you $2,500 with another 1.5 grand in labor or so. I see 05-09 GTs going for $11k-$15k around here. If you have some disposable income, I'd do an engine swap, sell it and use that for the down payment. Either way that sucks man.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Toymachine posted:

The KBB on the car with that milage is still $7,500. An engine would run you $2,500 with another 1.5 grand in labor or so. I see 05-09 GTs going for $11k-$15k around here. If you have some disposable income, I'd do an engine swap, sell it and use that for the down payment. Either way that sucks man.

Don't have the cash to pay for that kind of repair. Also, KBB says a car in its condition (only good, no better), trades in at about 5,800. The quotes I've gotten from a number of mechanics are in the 4k range. That doesn't seem like a good investment on a repair I'd have to get a loan to complete.

edit: vvvv Ehhh, it'd be a $4k jump from a 2014 GT to a 2015. I'm pretty happy with the price I've negotiated, but haven't closed on. I need to see what rate my bank will give me, because I do not trust the dealer's finance people.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 25, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A little inane to be considering it, yeah, considering the '15s are right around the corner and SHOULD be a better car in every way for not a significant amount of money. Sell your busted one for whatever you can get. Order a 15 while puttung down a small deposit. Buy the cheapest POS you can find with the balance left over to drive until the new hotness arrives. Sell POS for whatever you can get out of it. WIN.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Yes jesus christ. If the '15 shapes up to half the car it's looking like the 11-14s are going to poo poo brick their value as hard as the '10s did. Buy an '11 GT for low 20s if you can't wait.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Don't have the cash to pay for that kind of repair.

If you don't have the cash to pay for a repair how are you going to get a new one?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If you don't have the cash to pay for a repair how are you going to get a new one?

The same way everyone in America does: by getting debt up to your eyeballs with a loan he'll be upside down on for the next 7 years!
(don't do this, btw)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey at least my plan was based on the fact he sells his 06 before doing anything :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Any sort of plan involving waiting on the next model year or waiting on selling a car with nothing more than parts value is pretty unrealistic as my outgoing car was my only mode of transportation and unless I want to blow hundreds a week on rentals, I need transportation before Monday.

More reasonable suggestions include: Getting less car. Getting used car. Making an offer to buy my 06 GT with a blown up engine. Making an offer to sell me your manual transmission mustang with less than 60k mileage.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason you can't unload your '06 and pick up a $500 beater to drive for a while?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tide posted:

Is there any reason you can't unload your '06 and pick up a $500 beater to drive for a while?

I drive 26 miles to work each way. I do not want to get stranded.

Just how fast do you think a dead mustang sells?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty quickly, to be honest, if the price is right - though I suppose it depends on where you are. Regardless of the 52 mile round trip (anyone to carpool with?), I would still look for a beater.

Everybody needs a beater.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tide posted:

Everybody needs a beater.

26 miles isn't that crazy a commute, but I know that my long commute is what actually made me replace my beater with a newer car. Comfort and real reliability matters when you're doing 50+ miles a day, forever. I really think that new-ish economy cars are the best thing to pile miles on.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tide posted:

Pretty quickly, to be honest, if the price is right - though I suppose it depends on where you are.

You might be right about that! :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Get your piggy bank out because poppa's gonna want a bigger turbo.

EB Engine bay for 2015+:

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/GAMqaPo.jpg[/timg]

Look at all that space for activities!!!
That does look like a lot of space. Be easy to work on, at least.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I really like that. The more and more I read about the EB, the more I like it - especially at a price point of 8500 less than a Coyote model. The only thing I don't like is that the EB Performance Package has black wheels. Don't like the black wheels.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 25, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tide posted:

Yeah, I really like that. The more and more I read about the EB, the more I like it - especially at a price point of 8500 less than a Coyote model. The only thing I don't like is that the EB Performance Package has black wheels. Don't like the black wheels.
Plus gas and the insurance difference.

I actually like the EB PP wheels, though I like the GT PP wheels better. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

Plus gas and the insurance difference.

I actually like the EB PP wheels, though I like the GT PP wheels better. :/

Don't be surprised when the EB has higher insurance costs.