Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
This is a loving Zelda dungeon and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
So last night I killed Velstadt and grabbed the King's Ring. Can I summon help for killing Vendrick? Do I even have to kill him?

Also, where do I go from here? I assume this means I can open that door I found in the Forest of Giants now.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

nohopeindope posted:

So last night I killed Velstadt and grabbed the King's Ring. Can I summon help for killing Vendrick? Do I even have to kill him?

Also, where do I go from here? I assume this means I can open that door I found in the Forest of Giants now.

Yes, but you should go to the door in the Shaded Woods first.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Flytrap posted:

Yes, but you should go to the door in the Shaded Woods first.

OK will do. Thanks. I also got access to this Dark Covenant. So far these optional dungeons are super hard. Is there are good reward for spending the time to get through these?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

nohopeindope posted:

OK will do. Thanks. I also got access to this Dark Covenant. So far these optional dungeons are super hard. Is there are good reward for spending the time to get through these?

A fun bossfight, a super powerful if extremely limited hex, the ultimate Faith chime, and a trophy.

If you just want the chime, feel free to kill him, he drops it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flytrap posted:

This is a loving Zelda dungeon and I love it.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but yes! :neckbeard: That's exactly how I felt going through it.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Flytrap posted:

A fun bossfight, a super powerful if extremely limited hex, the ultimate Faith chime, and a trophy.

If you just want the chime, feel free to kill him, he drops it.

I've been using a lot of hexes so maybe that will be worth it. I'll give it a shot after I beat the game, whenever that happens. I really have no sense of how far along I am.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DLC spoilers

Liked
-The story bosses.
-The phantom enemies. I thought they were player shadows at first and got a nice scare when they attacked.
-The aethetics, the area looks amazing.
-Some cool new weapons and armor

Disliked
-The optional boss
-The actual level design. Bonfires were in the worst spots.
-The player base. I think all of my summons were pants-on-head retarded.

Good DLC, but it will only be worth it if the bosses for the next two are Cosh and Tanh

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I still have a bonfire to find, but my five hours with Shulva were fantastic. The Three Dudes Boss is pretty eh, but considering what they're going for it works. It was still fun. The other two were fantastic, though. They're not at all reskins except maybe sharing a skeleton, and fight differently.

The dungeon itself though is the star of the show and is fantastic. It's got puzzles, branching pathways, and rad new items and poo poo.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

kazil posted:

Good DLC, but it will only be worth it if the bosses for the next two are Cosh and Tanh

:aaaaa: I didn't even think of this, but it would be amazing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Raisin Beasts drop petrified dragon bones, so picking which boss weapon you want to use is no longer a momentous occasion :toot:

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Genocyber posted:

You're hosed as an invader. You cannot operate the mechanisms making it very easy to make it impossible to get to the host.

Not only that but some of the spawn points for invaders are really bad. If you invade in the vertical area before the story bossfights the game always spawns you all the way at the top of the pyramid even if the host is already summoning phantoms at the boss door. If you invade inside the Dragon Sanctum the game pretty often(like at least 1/3 of the time) spawns you in the dinosaur lake even if the host hasn't yet opened the fog door behind the Thomas invasion spot which makes it impossible to reach the host unless they decide to try and make progress when invaded(lol)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What is the deal with the tree thing and the open iron chests?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
SO uh. Is the way you access this new content just as obscure as the way you accessed the only piece of DLC for the first game?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Yeah, I'm having that issue. Everything I try just breaks in a hilariously small number of attacks, what the gently caress.
Nah man, you just need to be more careful and efficient with your weapons. Have you tried killing enemies in less than one swing per hit, without touching the body in the process?

(Am I doing this right? :downs:)

Honestly, whenever I get around to this game's DLC I will likely feel the painful effects of "I do not have Artorias greatshield to hide behind". Well, that and even if I had 40 Vitality in this game I'd still probably die in two or three hits :v: Saving the DLC for the last thing before Gwyn is why I dropped everything and went back to the Warrior's Starting gear for the final boss. So I could at least pretend there was more to me than a kickass shield.

EDIT: vvv I suppose my perceptions have been skewed by the enemies who ever actually manage to hit me through my combination of cowardice, shield use, and dodges (Now that I don't have worse I frames than the previous game :argh:) in the first place, tend to be nasty. Hello, Enhanced Undead! That's a hell of a one-two "goodbye, over 1k health" combo belted out in one second you got there. Ow *insert beefy enemy or boss here* hit me once, there goes a bit more than half my health.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

With 20 VIG and a random hodgepodge of armor I could take three hits from the final boss of the DLC. With 40 and actually good armor you'd almost be an NPC summon.

Fargin Icehole posted:

SO uh. Is the way you access this new content just as obscure as the way you accessed the only piece of DLC for the first game?

Nope. The key is added to your inventory automatically. You do still have to know to check out the primal bonfire room after the Rotten, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

With 20 VIG and a random hodgepodge of armor I could take three hits from the final boss of the DLC. With 40 and actually good armor you'd almost be an NPC summon.

Nope. The key is added to your inventory automatically. You do still have to know to check out the primal bonfire room after the Rotten, though.

If you read the description of the key it's incredibly obvious where to go. Also if you get the DLC before killing The Rotten.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fargin Icehole posted:

The key appears in your inventory and its description literally tells you where to go.

Found the last bonfire I needed for the DLC. I question why it has to be so obscure.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

The Raisin Beasts drop petrified dragon bones, so picking which boss weapon you want to use is no longer a momentous occasion :toot:

It's pretty rare though, and you need to be careful not to aggro two at once. They can also drop titanite slabs!

e: I'm late to discover that Manslayer sucks rear end. With a poison stone, it still can't poison other players for poo poo.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 23, 2014

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

kazil posted:

The key appears in your inventory and its description literally tells you where to go.

Found the last bonfire I needed for the DLC. I question why it has to be so obscure.

That's good, one hell of a step up. In the first game if you figure it out from the trailer, there's only one person who is named after the area, Oolacile, and it would make sense to pursue that.

On the other hand, I do not like the Gutter and the Black Gulch after a couple of NG+s. And i'm out of Titanite Chunks so I can't upgrade any new stuff I will find.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I feel like I'm missing something: the puzzle sword has incredibly low requirements, very high damage (for what it is, at least), and normal weapon durability. Does it actually have any downsides? Is it as strong as it seems?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Colapops posted:

I feel like I'm missing something: the puzzle sword has incredibly low requirements, very high damage (for what it is, at least), and normal weapon durability. Does it actually have any downsides? Is it as strong as it seems?

The strong attacks on it are pretty slow and have some decent windup to them, so I could see them as being pretty easy to dodge through. And its normal attacks (the vertical swings and thrusts) aren't all that great, since it kind of lacks horizontal coverage without much reach.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are the Ultra greatswords a gimmick, or are there situations that it's best to use them in over the regular greatswords?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
They're not much slower than the regular greatswords, and all of the bigger weapons are faster than they feel at first. They do more damage on average when compared with similar greatswords, and their attack patterns usually have better coverage in one directions or another (the down-swinging ones are really long so they hit in front, or the wide-sweeping ones just sweep real wide,) Their attacks also tend to have effects like launching, knockback, or knockdown, where greatswords don't.

So yes, there are situations where you'd want to use one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of DLC items, am I right in that the Drakeblood Set is ridiculously strong? Compared to other armor I have, it's both lighter and tougher. Physical and magical. Looking forward to seeing everyone using it, just like the Drangleic set.

vvv I was just about to edit my post to add that it looks so cool however. vvv

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It also looks better than what other armor you have, so yes :colbert:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

We should begin probating everyone that come in here asking about armor stats of all things.

Looking good is the only way to play.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

We should begin probating everyone that come in here asking about armor stats of all things.

Looking good is the only way to play.

If you're talking about me then you should know that my main goal in every game with customization is looking good :colbert:
RPG? More like dress-up game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Dark souls is about dying while looking good, and killing people while looking like a lunatic, or a peasant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crown of the Sunken King is all about having an onion for a head.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I thought that was really odd. Why would they give you JUST the catarina helm?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Let's be honest, does anyone even care about the rest of the set?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Crown of the Sunken King is all about having an onion for a head.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I was both amazed and mad at this, since I was one of the few who literally spent hours and hours grinding the single phantom who drops it (we're talking tens and tens of ascetics) :argh:

I needed it for my Goonther cosplay okay, I swear it was important...

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I wear the classic Steel set with Velstadt's helmet. I look like a mini boss.

Did a little short exploring on the DLC. These dudes sure have a lot of lightning resistance. I died to loving poison, I died while i was about to drink my estus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lightning Spear is useless outside of a few enemies (the Iron Keep is the best place to use it, other than that meh) but a lightning infused weapon will still do the trick.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Fromsoft understands the community well (see also: most of the abyss phantoms and NPC invaders/black phantom NPCs in general).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Fromsoft understands the community well (see also: most of the abyss phantoms and NPC invaders/black phantom NPCs in general).

I honestly went :magical: when a certain black phantom in the DLC showed up.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
Wow, this is kind of bullshit. You cant activate any of the switches while invading. Why on earth did they do this. Now there are a billion little places where you can get trapped forever, or the host can just stand on top of one of those billion little places where you can never, ever reach. It also stops me from doing the super cool trap stuff like in the first game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lemonpieman posted:

Wow, this is kind of bullshit. You cant activate any of the switches while invading. Why on earth did they do this. Now there are a billion little places where you can get trapped forever, or they can just stand somewhere where you can never, ever reach. On top of that, you can't do the super cool trap stuff like in the first game.

I only did that twice in Dark souls 1, and I remember those pretty well. You don't just kill the guy, you force him to go through a section all over again first, and then kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lemonpieman posted:

Wow, this is kind of bullshit. You cant activate any of the switches while invading. Why on earth did they do this. Now there are a billion little places where you can get trapped forever, or the host can just stand on top of one of those billion little places where you can never, ever reach. It also stops me from doing the super cool trap stuff like in the first game.

This is also true of the base game, although more noticeable here due to how the areas are designed.