Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

fletcher posted:

When I create an application launcher in GNOME 2.16.0, I assume it's creating a file in some folder somewhere? Where is that folder? I want to be able to create them in a script.

~/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

D-Bus, PulseAudio and systemd are rightfully absent from many, many Linuxes and BSDs. I just want to find one that's similar to Arch. Right now my eyes are on Crux and Slackware, could anybody help me decide?

Slackware sounds like a perfect match. You will be constantly stuck with an outdated OS from the 90s, and you can't ask us for help because nobody actually remembers how to use slirp and Midnight Commander! It's a win-win scenario!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Suspicious Dish posted:

~/.gnome2/panel2.d/default/launchers it seems

Perfect, thanks!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

evol262 posted:

This article is aggressively misleading, technically wrong in some places, castigates systemd for problems sysvinit and other init systems share, and lumps the entire systemd project into a single daemon. It is the epitome of FUD.

If you really want to avoid systemd (even if your problems are likely not systemd), freebsd is a better pick than any Linux distro, as they'll maintain enough independent engineering to skip udev and pulse (pulse for now, at least). But you're gonna have to live with dbus

I've been peripherally aware of the whole drama regarding systemd, and was a little leery when I updated my first machine to a release that used it. Same was true for the first time I used GRUB2. In both cases, the most surprising result was that it was entirely seamless and has never caused me a problem. In fairness, I only run Linux desktops, and don't do a whole lot of hardware changes on a regular basis. Still, even with dual and triple boot systems I have yet to encounter an issue.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Flash plugins support systemd now?

The same Flash that insists on using HAL still?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

scroogle nmaps posted:

Flash plugins support systemd now?

The same Flash that insists on using HAL still?

What does flash or HAL have to do with systemd? Did you mean to ask about udev or something?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been peripherally aware of the whole drama regarding systemd, and was a little leery when I updated my first machine to a release that used it. Same was true for the first time I used GRUB2. In both cases, the most surprising result was that it was entirely seamless and has never caused me a problem. In fairness, I only run Linux desktops, and don't do a whole lot of hardware changes on a regular basis. Still, even with dual and triple boot systems I have yet to encounter an issue.

Wait, you're using GRUB2 without any problems? Who are you?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Longinus00 posted:

What does flash or HAL have to do with systemd? Did you mean to ask about udev or something?

I mentioned flash because freedesktop.org is basically a collection of modern APIs and standards for various things to ease eventing and communication. dbus, cairo, Wayland, pulseaudio, etc. It's extremely likely that audio (including flash) will increasingly adhere to these, plus 2d/3d are part of freedesktop (mesa, DRI, et al)

Xtal's "no systemd" -> "no freedesktop" basically means "no modern software". Flash works for now, because :adobe:, and it's pretty archaic. But GPU accelerated flash on Wayland in a few years will require freedesktop bits

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wait, you're using GRUB2 without any problems? Who are you?

Someone who avoided using it until 2012 or so.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

xtal posted:

D-Bus, PulseAudio and systemd are rightfully absent from many, many Linuxes and BSDs. I just want to find one that's similar to Arch. Right now my eyes are on Crux and Slackware, could anybody help me decide?

#include <http://ewontfix.com/14/>
I'm literally laughing out loud at the people in this article and its comments implying that Linux, a monokernel, needs an init system that imitates a microkernel's design because putting more than one thing into PID 1 is "too complex"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

explorer.exe must really make them fume at the mouth then :laugh:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Thanks TelcoM for the longer list of suggestions, but between you and evol, I see this question:

evol262 posted:

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

Is there a reason you couldn't just call panic() ?

I'm in a place where I have to deal with pre-alpha hardware and software, and I need some flexibility in debugging them together on Linux. So I will end up doing some stuff that would normally be stupid. Right now I'm testing on VMs so I am protected against wrecking anything hardcore.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

Megaman posted:

So I dropped to console, and low and behold it's not mounted. The only things that are mounted are:

/
/run
/proc
/sys
/dev
/dev/pts

How do I get this mounted? If I try to mount /dev/sda1 (which is the USB to iso is being installed from) on /mnt it fails with "mount: mounting /dev/sad1 on /mnt/ failed: no such file or directory, which is odd because they both exist.

Anyone?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Misogynist posted:

I'm literally laughing out loud at the people in this article and its comments implying that Linux, a monokernel, needs an init system that imitates a microkernel's design because putting more than one thing into PID 1 is "too complex"

I'd be okay without Linux, but I guess I am in the Linux thread!

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 24, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

xtal posted:

Maybe try Linux From Scratch or invent your own Linux

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

#fdisk -l

And I'm guessing you saw the typo in your error message.

But run fdisk. Ensure you can see the drive. If not you'll probably need to load the USB modules then check again. And mount it in /mnt/tmp or something. You're running on tmpfs so you can make directories.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

xtal posted:

This is far from the biggest problem with that pile's arguments, but "it's a hybrid/monokernel" is applicable to literally every major OS out there. Try Hurd or mach. Good luck

When it says the mount fails, check dmesg.

I've never played with Debian's autoinstall, but it's probably loopback mounting something.

Post /proc/mounts?

Megaman
May 8, 2004

jaegerx posted:

#fdisk -l

And I'm guessing you saw the typo in your error message.

But run fdisk. Ensure you can see the drive. If not you'll probably need to load the USB modules then check again. And mount it in /mnt/tmp or something. You're running on tmpfs so you can make directories.

Yeah, that was just a reply typo. There is no fdisk binary at this level of the installer, the disk is at /dev/sda and the system sees /dev/sda1, but i cannot mount with mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/ or anywhere else. It claims no such file or directory, whatever that means.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

evol262 posted:

This is far from the biggest problem with that pile's arguments, but "it's a hybrid/monokernel" is applicable to literally every major OS out there. Try Hurd or mach. Good luck

When it says the mount fails, check dmesg.

I've never played with Debian's autoinstall, but it's probably loopback mounting something.

Post /proc/mounts?

I posted proc mounts above, there's nothing in it except what debian needs to install a system.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Megaman posted:

I posted proc mounts above, there's nothing in it except what debian needs to install a system.

I mean, please post the actual contents of that file, not just what's mounted. I want to see what's mounted where, with which options.

Are you still in the initrd here, or the actual installer?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Slackware sounds like a perfect match. You will be constantly stuck with an outdated OS from the 90s, and you can't ask us for help because nobody actually remembers how to use slirp and Midnight Commander! It's a win-win scenario!

I use Slackware as Virtualbox hypervisor, rock solid, haven't rebooted in 5 years except for a kernel upgrade last year.

Slackbuilds/slapt-get makes package install manageable, just don't expect to support the latest and greatest without knowing what the hell you are doing.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Megaman posted:

Yeah, that was just a reply typo. There is no fdisk binary at this level of the installer, the disk is at /dev/sda and the system sees /dev/sda1, but i cannot mount with mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/ or anywhere else. It claims no such file or directory, whatever that means.

Dive into /sys. Ensure it's actually seeing that drive. Check dmesg too. Maybe it's corrupted.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

evol262 posted:

I mean, please post the actual contents of that file, not just what's mounted. I want to see what's mounted where, with which options.

Are you still in the initrd here, or the actual installer?

It's hard to post the contents of a file when you can't get it onto a disk that can't be mounted. How can I get this file off the installer with no way to mount storage?

Megaman
May 8, 2004

jaegerx posted:

Dive into /sys. Ensure it's actually seeing that drive. Check dmesg too. Maybe it's corrupted.

The drive isn't corrupted, I can mount it in another installation, and I can also install the iso just fine without the preseed file. It's just the preseed file that cannot be found because the disk can't be mounted, otherwise it works like a dream.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Megaman posted:

The drive isn't corrupted, I can mount it in another installation, and I can also install the iso just fine without the preseed file. It's just the preseed file that cannot be found because the disk can't be mounted, otherwise it works like a dream.

dmesg says the removable disk got attached as sda, and again I can see it in /dev/sda with its partition /dev/sda1, but it cannot be mounted, and I see no log of it even being attempted to be mounted. Do I need to tell grub to mount this as a loopback device so it can be accessed? Is this a known bug or something?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Megaman posted:

dmesg says the removable disk got attached as sda, and again I can see it in /dev/sda with its partition /dev/sda1, but it cannot be mounted, and I see no log of it even being attempted to be mounted. Do I need to tell grub to mount this as a loopback device so it can be accessed? Is this a known bug or something?

Are you in the initrd or not?

The classic answer to "how do I get this off" is over the network, which you can certainly bring up at whatever point you're at. Even configuring netconsole and cat-ing it to syslog pointed at a netconsole server (just netcat works fine for this) works

Megaman
May 8, 2004

evol262 posted:

Are you in the initrd or not?

The classic answer to "how do I get this off" is over the network, which you can certainly bring up at whatever point you're at. Even configuring netconsole and cat-ing it to syslog pointed at a netconsole server (just netcat works fine for this) works

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the linux installer to know what "are you in the initrd or not" means, but I assume this is in the installer since select preseed is not only an option in the installer but when the preseed fails it dumps you to the preseed options which is not the first options in the installer list. Yes, I could probably do this with auto url=blah, but I want to do everything local, hence my problem. I haven't tested url= though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Megaman posted:

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the linux installer to know what "are you in the initrd or not" means, but I assume this is in the installer since select preseed is not only an option in the installer but when the preseed fails it dumps you to the preseed options which is not the first options in the installer list. Yes, I could probably do this with auto url=blah, but I want to do everything local, hence my problem. I haven't tested url= though.

When the system boots, you see

linux /vmlinuz0 foo bar
initrd /initrd.img

The initrd (or initramfs, depending on distro) is a very minimal filesystem which contains the bare minimum necessary to mount the root filesystem.

Kernel boots
Initrd is mounted at / if specified (pretty much if you're using modules and don't have support for some critical root bit built into the kernel)
initrd/init runs
Init is a shell script (older) or invokes dracut (newer) and populates /Dev
Switchroot happens and your real root gets mounted

The list of mounts you gave is very similar to what you'd see in dracut.

If you see services starting, you're past it. But the utilities in the initrd are very limited and things don't always work the way you expect. If you're in the initrd, mounting can be... interesting

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got an ubuntu server I remote into via SSH and I use byobu on it so I can have different tabs and stuff.

I'd like to figure out how I can make my sessions in my server persistent, so if I disconnect it'll keep programs running (like irssi) in the background and reload all my byobu tabs I had open before come right back up when I reconnect.

Is that possible? I've done a bunch of googling this morning but I can't figure out if I can do this and how to if I can.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Megaman posted:

So I dropped to console, and low and behold it's not mounted. The only things that are mounted are:

/
/run
/proc
/sys
/dev
/dev/pts

How do I get this mounted? If I try to mount /dev/sda1 (which is the USB to iso is being installed from) on /mnt it fails with "mount: mounting /dev/sad1 on /mnt/ failed: no such file or directory, which is odd because they both exist.

In an initrd environment, the device nodes *might* not be an accurate representation of what actually is detected by the kernel. Run "cat /proc/partitions" to see the list of disks and partitions. You might even be able to identify them by their sizes.

The problem on mounting might be caused by one of these things:

- The appropriate filesystem module might not be included in initrd. Or it is included, but it is not loaded automatically for some reason. "cat /proc/filesystems" will list the filesystem types the kernel can use with the currently-loaded modules. As usual, the modules should be at /lib/modules/<your_kernel_version>/.

- If you are trying to use the same initrd file as when booting from an actual installation DVD, it might only contain the drivers for iso9660 filesystem, and thus be usable for actual CD/DVD installation only. To successfully use USB sticks and other HD-style media, there might be an alternative initrd image available that contains more drivers in the initrd phase. For example, Debian has separate initrd images for CD-ROM, HD-media and network boot. RHEL's "network boot" initrd doubles as "all the bells and whistles" initrd. Make sure you're using the installer initrd that is intended for HD-media installations: it is usually noticeably bigger than the CD-only version.

For Debian, see: http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-amd64/current/images/
If you want the testing or unstable version, they are in similar paths: /debian/dists/<jessie|sid>/main/installer-<architecture>/current/images/

- Other than the filesystem driver module, accessing an USB stick also requires the driver modules for the appropriate USB host adapter (in modern systems, ehci_hcd and ehci_pci for USB2 support; xhci_hcd would be USB3). If these are missing from the initrd environment or not loaded, you might also see just the kind of failures you're seeing.

Most Linux installers I've seen will send some log output to a virtual console or two. You found the console with the root prompt, now try Ctrl-Alt-<other function keys>. If you find the installer's log output, try pressing Shift-PageUp or Shift-PageDown: there might be some amount of scroll-back buffer available.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Megaman posted:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/installation-guide/i386/preseed-using.html

According to that you either put the file in your initrd image or you pass it at boot time with a boot parameter. If it's anything like what I have worked with in the past with kickstart files the options won't be 1 for 1 identical to Linux system devices. They have an example that has /hd-media but I don't know if that's a directory or the name it uses to identify the usb.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've got an ubuntu server I remote into via SSH and I use byobu on it so I can have different tabs and stuff.

I'd like to figure out how I can make my sessions in my server persistent, so if I disconnect it'll keep programs running (like irssi) in the background and reload all my byobu tabs I had open before come right back up when I reconnect.

Is that possible? I've done a bunch of googling this morning but I can't figure out if I can do this and how to if I can.

Byobu is just a wrapper for tmux or screen. I think if you hit F6 it'll disconnect you from your tmux session and you can logout. The next time you log in and run byobu, you should reconnect to your old session.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

Byobu is just a wrapper for tmux or screen. I think if you hit F6 it'll disconnect you from your tmux session and you can logout. The next time you log in and run byobu, you should reconnect to your old session.

That did it thanks a bunch, I'll just have to remember to mash F6 when I'm done instead of just closing the putty window.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That did it thanks a bunch, I'll just have to remember to mash F6 when I'm done instead of just closing the putty window.

Just closing putty should already leave everything running. Take a look at this and see if you need to fiddle with something/already fiddled with the wrong thing.

https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/byobu.html

edit: I have mine to set to always launch when I log on.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 24, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

thebigcow posted:

Just closing putty should already leave everything running. Take a look at this and see if you need to fiddle with something/already fiddled with the wrong thing.

https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/byobu.html

edit: I have mine to set to always launch when I log on.

Oh I'm a moron. I was typing exit every time like a goob.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I have a CSV in LibreOffice and I want to remove duplicates. To be specific, I don't want to just remove duplicate entries, but I want to remove any item that has duplicate entries.

So something like:

code:
dog
dog
dog
cat
horse
monkey
monkey
Would become:

code:
cat
horse
I found a guide online to remove duplicates, but it only removes the duplicates and not all the entries. Any ideas?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

the posted:

So, I have a CSV in LibreOffice and I want to remove duplicates. To be specific, I don't want to just remove duplicate entries, but I want to remove any item that has duplicate entries.

So something like:

code:
dog
dog
dog
cat
horse
monkey
monkey
Would become:

code:
cat
horse
I found a guide online to remove duplicates, but it only removes the duplicates and not all the entries. Any ideas?

this depends a lot on how the csv file is, but
uniq -u $FILE
would at least only print lines that are unique.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

telcoM posted:

- If you are trying to use the same initrd file as when booting from an actual installation DVD, it might only contain the drivers for iso9660 filesystem, and thus be usable for actual CD/DVD installation only. To successfully use USB sticks and other HD-style media, there might be an alternative initrd image available that contains more drivers in the initrd phase. For example, Debian has separate initrd images for CD-ROM, HD-media and network boot. RHEL's "network boot" initrd doubles as "all the bells and whistles" initrd. Make sure you're using the installer initrd that is intended for HD-media installations: it is usually noticeably bigger than the CD-only version.

Ok, so the problem looks to be the initrd.gz I've used the one for stable hd-media and it now progresses past preseed, but errors out on finding the image. The image I'm using is stable mini.iso, is there a way I can get it to detect this particular image? The reason I'm using mini.iso is to be able to install testing, you cannot do this with regular netinstall.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've got a bash script that does conditional like this:

code:
if [[ "$WHATEVER" =~ ".*thingy*" ]]
then
    : ${SOMETHING:="dis"}
else
    : ${SOMETHING:="dat"}
fi
I noticed that the conditional was being evaluated different for the same value of $WHATEVER on two different machines. I assume this is probably because they are running different versions of bash? (4.1.2 vs. 3.2.25)

edit: removing the quotes around the regex seems to fix it

fletcher fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I'm using Debian testing, and I connected my laptop to an ethernet cable the other day instead of wifi. Ever since then, whenever I boot up my laptop it seems to be sending a request for the wired interface over wifi, bringing the interface up, and trying to access the internet over that interface even though the cable is not connected. If I just bring the interface down then the wireless connection functions normally.

Here is the contents of /etc/network/interfaces:

code:
# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Which, as far as I know, means that eth0 should come up if I plug a cable in; this, and any other network settings, are in the state that they shipped in. Should I report this as a bug to Debian, or am I being dumb somehow?