Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

R. Mute posted:

where do you think you'll be running to, comrade?
The post office, for my pre-booked 15 minutes of internet time to respond to your posts, of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

The post office, for my pre-booked 15 minutes of internet time to respond to your posts, of course!
i'd like to think that in a communist future, i'll be so famous and loved people will have to make appointments just to respond to my posts. and of course, i will graciously let them, occasionally responding with a pearl of wisdom or an online pat on the back. yes, i can see it now...

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Going over my own relatively stable finances, I'm reflecting on the path my parents took in my youth and trying to extract a lesson from it. They both had relatively well-paying and stable jobs, but no health insurance. Faced with this glut of free cash and a new family, they bought an in-ground pool. The moral of the story? gently caress Boomers. :circlejerk:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aurubin posted:

Going over my own relatively stable finances, I'm reflecting on the path my parents took in my youth and trying to extract a lesson from it. They both had relatively well-paying and stable jobs, but no health insurance. Faced with this glut of free cash and a new family, they bought an in-ground pool. The moral of the story? gently caress Boomers. :circlejerk:

All you have to do is look in a BFC thread. Don't get inground pools. Don't get pools. Don't buy houses with inground pools.

...okay sure, this is mostly talking about places that are not warm 90% of the year, but still.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

silvergoose posted:

All you have to do is look in a BFC thread. Don't get inground pools. Don't get pools. Don't buy houses with inground pools.

...okay sure, this is mostly talking about places that are not warm 90% of the year, but still.

BFC Thread?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

silvergoose posted:

My parents bought a house with an inground pool in a part of the country that it snows 9 months of the year

It was like a useless garden that we watered with money.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I give you the best thing ever posted to Twitter by a sitting member of the US Congress.

https://twitter.com/john_dingell/status/491586961392816128

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Technogeek posted:

I give you the best thing ever posted to Twitter by a sitting member of the US Congress.

https://twitter.com/john_dingell/status/491586961392816128

I think the context makes it even better. Someone at the EPA is getting yelled at.

https://twitter.com/its_tli/status/491436695586226176/photo/1

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I discovered today that Dana Scully is immortal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Asian anti-white racism is 100% a source of pleasure to my pleasure-emitting pleasure centers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Asian anti-white racism is 100% a source of pleasure to my pleasure-emitting pleasure centers.
Why am I not surprised?

ETA:

razorrozar posted:

I discovered today that Dana Scully is immortal.
Come again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember the camera guy episode, where he could see death come for people. He was like 150 years old because he saw death when it was his time and someone else took his place, making him immortal. Well, when Scully was supposed to die, the camera guy took her place.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus_(The_X-Files)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

Remember the camera guy episode, where he could see death come for people. He was like 150 years old because he saw death when it was his time and someone else took his place, making him immortal. Well, when Scully was supposed to die, the camera guy took her place.

Oh, I must have missed/not remembered it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a top tier ep imo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

It's a top tier ep imo.

Smells too much like teen spirit.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Also Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, with the other guy who could see death. She asked him when she was going to die, and he said "You don't".

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Smells too much like teen spirit.

Whatever, nevermind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

razorrozar posted:

Also Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, with the other guy who could see death. She asked him when she was going to die, and he said "You don't".

Yeah, Peter Boyle's in that also excellent episode.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why am I not surprised?

If only you could bomb them until they liked you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Whatever, nevermind.

Hello, hello, hello, how low? This low:

SedanChair posted:

If only you could bomb them until they liked you.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

R. Mute posted:

yeah, it was all part of a move to be able to appeal to young voters when he eventually ran for president. members of the choom gang have come out to say that 1) they weren't called the choom gang at all, that's something barry made up and forced onto the group 2) barry only took one puff and coughed like a bitch. source

this is unironically the obama administrations worst betrayal of the base yet

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

SedanChair posted:

where I'm from Asian anti-black and anti-hispanic racism are infinitely more common :sigh:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

Nah, took a nice shore-side job where I get to sleep at home. Being out at sea sucks, you don't change but the rest of the world and everybody you care about does.

Don't tell me that, I'm about to start a job that'll have me on a ship 2 months a year. :mad:

At least I'll have internet access (pretty decent, I'm told) and my own office to sleep in if I need to get away from my bunkmates.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday, I started a derail over youthful exploration travel in the U.S. compared to Europe in the politics thread and then failed to carry my end of the argument after challenging Nintendo Kid to prove he was right. Anyway, I feel I owe Nintendo Kid a response but it belongs here, if any where, and not in the politics thread.

The focus was an argument over which was cheaper; travel in Europe, which would have to include cost of getting there, or the great American road trip. I excluded the great American stoner road trip composed of you and your 3 or 4 best buds, with a bag or weed. Nintendo Kid argued that the Route 66 road trip was cheaper and I challenged him to do the math and prove it and that's where I dropped the ball. As I said over in the politics thread, I apologize to Nintendo Kid for calling him an idiot, that wasn't right. I'll say that if he in fact, in 2011, did an across the country road trip for $1,000, total, then again, he is right and I was wrong and I applaud him for his thrifty travel. In fact, the great American road trip is the unique counterpart to the European backpack, train ride, hostel trip.

You can fly to Europe/Great Britain for under $800. You have to be selective about which cities in Europe you fly into, you have to look for deals and be flexible and you have to use services that give discounts to young and student travelers. Once you get there, the cost of lodging is cheaper and more extensive than here in the U.S. and the cost of transportation between cities is cheaper.

The difference between the two trips of exploration is in getting to where you're going. As Nintendo Kid pointed out, we don't have rail or bus systems in the U.S. that are worth a poo poo so we grow up relying on our cars and they are the natural mode of getting from here to there. The two trips are unique based on the infrastructure available but Nintendo Kid's trip was cheaper.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 23, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

radical meme posted:

Yesterday, I started a derail over youthful exploration travel in the U.S. compared to Europe in the politics thread and then failed to carry my end of the argument after challenging Nintendo Kid to prove he was right. Anyway, I feel I owe Nintendo Kid a response but it belongs here, if any where, and not in the politics thread.

The focus was an argument over which was cheaper; travel in Europe, which would have to include cost of getting there, or the great American road trip. I excluded the great American stoner road trip composed of you and your 3 or 4 best buds, with a bag or weed. Nintendo Kid argued that the Route 66 road trip was cheaper and I challenged him to do the math and prove it and that's where I dropped the ball. As I said over in the politics thread, I apologize to Nintendo Kid for calling him an idiot, that wasn't right. I'll say that if he in fact, in 2011, did an across the country road trip for $1,000, total, then again, he is right and I was wrong and I applaud him for his thrifty travel. In fact, the great American road trip is the unique counterpart to the European backpack, train ride, hostel trip.

You can fly to Europe/Great Britain for under $800. You have to be selective about which cities in Europe you fly into, you have to look for deals and be flexible and you have to use services that give discounts to young and student travelers. Once you get there, the cost of lodging is cheaper and more extensive than here in the U.S. and the cost of transportation between cities is cheaper.

The difference between the two trips of exploration is in getting to where you're going. As Nintendo Kid pointed out, we don't have rail or bus systems in the U.S. that are worth a poo poo so we grow up relying on our cars and they are the natural mode of getting from here to there. The two trips are unique based on the infrastructure available but Nintendo Kid's trip was cheaper.

I just finished up a month and a half American road trip from New York to LA for two people that came out to just a bit more than what Nintendo Kid's trip apparently cost. It's pretty easy if your only expense is cheap street food and gas. Lodging is definitely cheaper in Europe, but if you're on a road trip you can forgo paying for lodging and sleep in your car if you want to cut costs to the bone. Use YMCAs, applicable churches and rest and truck stops for showers. This recent road trip came out to quite a bit less than a similarly long trip in Europe I once took since the total price of gas for two came out to about the price of a cheap airline ticket for one and we slept in the car except for the few times we crashed on acquaintances couches.

Not to say that the American road trip is better or anything, but as long as you have a decent car going into it you can make it very cheap. Though I guess if you're the type of person who can very easily make friends you could couch surf across Europe and render the difference moot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought the great American road trip was just walking out to the side of the road with your thumb out. Doesn't cost anything... most of the time.

I've never owned a car, though.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Chantilly Say posted:

I thought the great American road trip was just walking out to the side of the road with your thumb out. Doesn't cost anything... most of the time.

I've never owned a car, though.

Yeah, but I hated 'On The Road' so I figured I'd actually go somewhere and cut out the boring early part where I keep running out of money and turning back home.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That was before those HIPPIES screwed everything up with their drugs and cults and communes and now you can't hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers because you will be MURDERED. It's true. I seen it on the TV.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I'm too young to remember it and history classes never got anywhere near that recent, what was the deal with Desert Storm?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was patriotic as gently caress and we straight rolled up Iraq and our military might looked so good and every second of it was live on CNN and then we got immediately the gently caress out.

Invisible planes were dropping robot bombs down chimneys in night vision, it was some scifi poo poo.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

made of bees posted:

I'm too young to remember it and history classes never got anywhere near that recent, what was the deal with Desert Storm?

It proved that George H.W. Bush was so poo poo that even the most successful and photogenic military campaign in history couldn't save him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cafel posted:

It proved that George H.W. Bush was so poo poo that even the most successful and photogenic military campaign in history couldn't save him.

He lied about taxes bro.

E: the loving Patriot missile, motherfuckers

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

made of bees posted:

We all were briefly afraid of 70s-era Soviet battlefield rockets until it was shown they basically were "point and pray" when it came to accuracy. Which was good, since our countermeasure pretty much did nothing. Oh, and something something Vietnam syndrome something something.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
fun times all around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_(testimony)

e: Also Bush pulled this hilarious practical joke where he implied US support for overthrowing Saddam. Hundreds of thousands died. :rimshot:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 23, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

I love that the PR firm responsible, Hill & Knowlton, is basically famous for being comic book villain evil. Fighting the studies saying that smoking causes cancer, defending the CoS (until they started going after prozac), defending BCCI when they were caught laundering drug money, and now spreading the idea of fracking as an unambiguously good thing.

Jello Biafra namedrops H&K almost as much as Phyllis Schlafly and for good reason.

Edit: Three Kings is the best Iraq War I film.

moller fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 23, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think they also got people to think asbestos was ok.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I'm not sure if it happened at all prior to Desert Storm pt 1 but military censorship of the media was pretty great and war was sterilized for americans so all they saw was cool explosions, soldiers walking places tanks doing stuff and zero bodies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mauser posted:

I'm not sure if it happened at all prior to Desert Storm pt 1 but military censorship of the media was pretty great and war was sterilized for americans so all they saw was cool explosions, soldiers walking places tanks doing stuff and zero bodies.

I was ten and it was loving awesome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The part where the US blew the gently caress up out of the convey on the road for no real reason was reported widely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

euphronius posted:

I think they also got people to think asbestos was ok.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. I guess H&K are one of the largest PR firms in the world, and I was overlooking the idea that PR is inherently a destructive force meant to shield the savages of capital from scrutiny by spreading FUD.

Someone light the McDowell symbol so he can come paraphrase Adam Curtis' bit about Edward Bernays using his cousin Siggy's ideas as a blunt instrument to replace observable reality with a corporate-sponsored narrative.

euphronius posted:

The part where the US blew the gently caress up out of the convey on the road for no real reason was reported widely.

"The Highway of Death?"

Mauser posted:

This was, I believe, a direct response to the Vietnam Syndrome.

moller fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 23, 2014

• Locked thread