Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

That actually makes more sense than either "Micchy" or "Mitchy."

It makes a good lot of sense. I wouldn't hate a team doing the straight translation, but localizing the intent is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Also keep in mind that nicknames aren't always just shortened versions of names. Micchy is just as reasonable a nickname for Mitsuzane as Bill is for William, if not more so.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Mickey

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

That's the weirdest way to romanize ミッチ, I have to admit.

ミッチ is a shortened version of Mitsuzane, by the way. chi is the sound in place of "ti", which makes it the i form of tsu, which is tu. Ta, chi, tsu, te, to.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caphi posted:

ミッチ is a shortened version of Mitsuzane, by the way. chi is the sound in place of "ti", which makes it the i form of tsu, which is tu. Ta, chi, tsu, te, to.

Who said it wasn't?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

Who said it wasn't?

glom, unless he meant whether or not you could justify "Micchy" as it is as a nickname in English. But it's kind of a rationalization; "Mitsy" is closer to what they're doing with it, which is why I use it (except in the scripts; at this point we're using "Micchy" for consistency reasons). I mean, nicknames can get kind of weird natively in Japanese, but "Micchi" is not very much so overall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Caphi posted:

glom, unless he meant whether or not you could justify "Micchy" as it is as a nickname in English. But it's kind of a rationalization; "Mitsy" is closer to what they're doing with it, which is why I use it (except in the scripts; at this point we're using "Micchy" for consistency reasons). I mean, nicknames can get kind of weird natively in Japanese, but "Micchi" is not very much so overall.
Mitsy sounds much more effeminate to me. I don't know what that says about myself or the character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have a dog named Mitzy that's a nervous wreck half the time, and a growling aggression monster the other half.

So that would have been AMAZING to have as his nickname.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
That's some pretty precognitive dog naming, Burk.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Caphi posted:

I was speaking purely from a phonetic perspective. I do not read any Japanese at all, so nothing I said should be read to imply any knowledge or understanding of the characters used.

As far as I can tell it sounds like they're saying "Micchy" rather than "Mitsy" but I totally understand that transliteration is weird a lot of the time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

That's some pretty precognitive dog naming, Burk.

Amusingly we didn't name her. We got her from a shelter. So some one else really had an eye for young Japanese boys.

....I need to think things I type out more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Earlier episodes definitely set some expectations that the rest of the series didn't meet, but at least the majority of characters have clear and understandable motives. It sure beats relying on contrivances to maintain a proper Rider War situation.

There probably won't be a horseback fight outside of the soccer movie, though. And that's terrible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. If you're going to have a HEROES FIGHTING AS THE FOCUS and still have them BE the heroes, with an actual enemy later, you have to play around with that a bit.

That's why that section of Granzaser was only the first 12 episodes and it made total sense. It ended about when it should have, and was a lot of fun. It also did not have ANY MOTW show up at all, and only one bad guy who wasn't a GranSazer started showing up near the end.

Then the series continued on with this hyper focus on character and story for the next 12 episodes, introducing three new villains and three more Gransazer. After that things go a bit off the rails, but hey. That's what happens when you lose focus I guess. It never stops being entertaining and just a solid show-it just loses a lot of the edge it used to have.

So even in my idealized version of one of Gaim's themes, I can freely admit it started flailing when the actual MOTW stuff started.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
He's never going to ride the horse, is he? :(

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The horse is actually an Overlord.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

toanoradian posted:

The horse is actually an Overlord.
Horse Apple Arms! Ride to victory!

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Gaim volume 5''s Conquest War seems to be Rider Jeopardy!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out

There's not a whole lot to say about the episode itself, but it has one hell of a preview. It's hard to say if Overlord Kouta is just a projection of what could happen or something that's actually going to happen, what with it being a preview and all, but still. Very interesting, indeed.

Nice work making the viewers wait an extra week on seeing what the gently caress that is, too.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Probably the best part of this episode.

Man, a week delay, why you gotta do this to me Gaim.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Subs are out

There's not a whole lot to say about the episode itself, but it has one hell of a preview. It's hard to say if Overlord Kouta is just a projection of what could happen or something that's actually going to happen, what with it being a preview and all, but still. Very interesting, indeed.

Nice work making the viewers wait an extra week on seeing what the gently caress that is, too.

Given how often we are trolled by the previews, his is probably going to be all in Kouta's head/Redue attempting to brainwash him. You can't bring back the dead after all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dante Logos posted:

Given how often we are trolled by the previews, his is probably going to be all in Kouta's head/Redue attempting to brainwash him. You can't bring back the dead after all.
I'm not sure if it'd be the Best Thing or just the Most Anime Thing if Yuya's going to end up pulling a Kamina on him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm not sure if it'd be the Best Thing or just the Most Anime Thing if Yuya's going to end up pulling a Kamina on him.

Yes. And I really hope that happens.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

See? Kaito does care. :allears:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

TurninTrix posted:

I think you mean this was the best part:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I can't stop from giggling whenever that commercial comes up each week. :allears:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Man my life is empty without super hero time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zehkTQixUz4

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out.

The preview content from the last episode actually was the meat of the episode, which is nice. It was also basically an illusion, which makes sense considering how ridiculous it was. I look forward to seeing more of Melon vs Lemon next week.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Maybe it's a good thing Yuuya died and didn't get to be Gaim if he's dumb enough to fall for that tarp trick. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whoever said like 20 episodes ago that Kouta was on the path to become a classic Kamen Rider, ten points for you.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Subs are out.

The preview content from the last episode actually was the meat of the episode, which is nice. It was also basically an illusion, which makes sense considering how ridiculous it was. I look forward to seeing more of Melon vs Lemon next week.

I'm so proud of Kouta for figuring things out for himself rather than letting Yuuya snap him out of it. It would be awesome in one way but the whole thing has been about Kouta becoming a true Kamen Rider. It wouldn't do him justice if he got an easy out like that

Also, silly Sagara, taking the fruit isn't the only thing that Kouta could do.:unsmigghh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, after watching Yuuya as Gaim, I wonder how the series would've been with him as a lead. He's certainly...passionate. Really passionate.

Also Kaito, attacking the belt? That's cheating! You didn't even succeed!

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Thought this was a cute callback.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Apparently raws for the Showa vs Heisei Riders movie are now floating around the web. Anyone know if a group is planning to sub it?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Maybe it's a good thing Yuuya died and didn't get to be Gaim if he's dumb enough to fall for that tarp trick. :v:

On the other hand we might have gotten a lot more fruit based one liners.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I've been going through Urobuchi's works since watching Madoka Magica, which I really enjoyed. I'm coming off Fate/Zero now, which was also really good, although not quite as good as Madoka. Far as I can tell, the ADTRW wiki doesn't have an entry for this show, so I'm asking about it here. I really have no interest in Kamen Rider at all, nor do I like live action shows that much. I've only read the first couple pages of this thread and don't want to dig around spoilers in case this is actually worth watching.

Is the show really about selling merchandise first and foremost, or is it like Madoka where it is using the genre to tell a specific and tightly focused story? Creating a different paradigm, in other words. Is Urobuchi's writing good enough here to suffer through the live action and the disinterest in Kamen Rider? Is this like Fate/Zero where you can go in not knowing about the franchise behind it and still be able to understand it?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kamen Rider shows are just big long fifty episode toy commercials that can be watched as self contained series. The only notable thing that Gain has changed is getting rid of the two episode arc format that previous series settled into.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

So I've been going through Urobuchi's works since watching Madoka Magica, which I really enjoyed. I'm coming off Fate/Zero now, which was also really good, although not quite as good as Madoka. Far as I can tell, the ADTRW wiki doesn't have an entry for this show, so I'm asking about it here. I really have no interest in Kamen Rider at all, nor do I like live action shows that much. I've only read the first couple pages of this thread and don't want to dig around spoilers in case this is actually worth watching.

Is the show really about selling merchandise first and foremost, or is it like Madoka where it is using the genre to tell a specific and tightly focused story? Creating a different paradigm, in other words. Is Urobuchi's writing good enough here to suffer through the live action and the disinterest in Kamen Rider? Is this like Fate/Zero where you can go in not knowing about the franchise behind it and still be able to understand it?

Really, just give it the three episode watch and see how you can handle it. Gaim is a Gen Urobuchi work but at the same time, the guy is a fan of Kamen Rider and there are things in Gaim that show this. So while this is a Urobuchi work, it is also a Kamen Rider show too. If you don't think you can stand a lot of the stuff that comes up, it is fine to skip it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Lord Justice posted:

Is the show really about selling merchandise first and foremost, or is it like Madoka where it is using the genre to tell a specific and tightly focused story? Creating a different paradigm, in other words.

There is a story. There is merchandise. I think the show is doing a pretty good job making the merchandise meaningful in the story. The short version is that the theme is about power, privilege, and responsibility, so each new, shinier toy deliberately represents an escalation of power and comes with a material breakthrough, paradigm shift, or downward slide in the toy-holder's arc. But they are going to try to sell you all of those toys in the process. I'm not going to try to talk around that.

quote:

Is Urobuchi's writing good enough here to suffer through the live action and the disinterest in Kamen Rider?

ProbablyMaybe. If you like Urobuchi's writing to begin with, it's on display here.

quote:

Is this like Fate/Zero where you can go in not knowing about the franchise behind it and still be able to understand it?

Yes. Kamen Rider does a different world with a different premise each year.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Show is good. Watching the show will answer all your questions a lot faster than bumming around waiting for someone to convince you to give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Caphi posted:

There is a story. There is merchandise. I think the show is doing a pretty good job making the merchandise meaningful in the story. The short version is that the theme is about power, privilege, and responsibility, so each new, shinier toy deliberately represents an escalation of power and comes with a material breakthrough, paradigm shift, or downward slide in the toy-holder's arc. But they are going to try to sell you all of those toys in the process. I'm not going to try to talk around that.
It is also shamefully effective, if the usual prices for this stuff outside of Japan is any indication.

• Locked thread