Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

a pulsating, cancerous clump of devlog

Toady One posted:

Those hostile migrants that occasionally come should be taken care of, at least the forms of it I looked at. Ambushing critters should be a little more concerned about doing ambushy things. Those knife fights shouldn't happen so much in the markets anymore. Night creatures that actually managed to get hostile could still get sensory overload and fail to attack, and that's handled now. I gave a bit of climbing skill to invaders and more to thieves that got practice during world gen. Trees should be a bit more respectful of floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I absolutely hate bogeyman as they currently exist. They only bother you if you're alone at night in adventure mode and there are seemingly an unlimited source of them and it's impossible to deal with them without literally fighting all night or managing to find an "indoors" without the help of quick travel.

I wish Toady would rework them to somehow be interesting and not a roadblock... and then take another look at Aquifers while he's at it. Until then, I'll just keep modding both out of my worlds.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

scamtank posted:

a pulsating, cancerous clump of devlog

i never see hostile anything, anywhere. i WISH knifefights broke out in my games :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i never see hostile anything, anywhere. i WISH knifefights broke out in my games :(

I keep seeing them, especially in jointly held sites.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i frequently get 'uneasy', surrounded by humans or groups of varying races, and then they just stand near me and chill. or my allies get jumped and when i come in to help them everyone runs away crying and vomiting, but i never see two cpu controlled characters get into a no quarter fight

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Verviticus posted:

i frequently get 'uneasy', surrounded by humans or groups of varying races, and then they just stand near me and chill.

From the devlog it sounds like at least this bit might be fixed for next time.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Masterwork question: I've been trying to use the Embassy to summon an invasion because i'm getting wicked bored with nothing ever happening. All the options related to other civs are red even though i have almost 10000 gold coins. Any idea what the problem could be?

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Right now, 140 of us nerds are watching Captain Duck play the new version http://www.twitch.tv/captain_duck

Is it weird to watch streams of city building games? They're kind of slow, but I like leaving streams like these up in a second monitor while I do important work on my main monitor. Important work like browsing every image on imgur.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Solarflare posted:

Masterwork question: I've been trying to use the Embassy to summon an invasion because i'm getting wicked bored with nothing ever happening. All the options related to other civs are red even though i have almost 10000 gold coins. Any idea what the problem could be?

If the option is red you are missing one of the reagents.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hope Toady fixes the bug where zombies will attack their necromancer masters soon. I found one in a mead hall and got him to join me, but as soon as we killed some dingoes he resurrected them all and they tore us apart.

(I realize I'm probably not supposed to be able to recruit necromancers to begin with)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dwarf Fortress 2014: I frequently get 'uneasy', surrounded by humans or groups of varying races.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I hope Toady fixes the bug where zombies will attack their necromancer masters soon. I found one in a mead hall and got him to join me, but as soon as we killed some dingoes he resurrected them all and they tore us apart.

(I realize I'm probably not supposed to be able to recruit necromancers to begin with)

I didn't even recruit any necromancers, but after I blundered into a tower (and got murdered by zombies) I checked the Legends and a bunch of the zombies had turned on their necromancers. There must have been at least one necromancer that survived the brawl, because the legend of every dead necromancer ended with them getting revived as a zombie.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

If the option is red you are missing one of the reagents.

The only reagent listed for "Declare war on goblins" is gold coins, which I have 10000 of. According to the manual it's only supposed to take 1000. Maybe there's no one around to invade?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Solarflare posted:

The only reagent listed for "Declare war on goblins" is gold coins, which I have 10000 of. According to the manual it's only supposed to take 1000. Maybe there's no one around to invade?

I believe if goblins are dead or inaccessible that may be the issue as well... but post it on the masterwork forums, meph is fairly good about answering questions.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

there's a burrow loving something up somewhere then

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm not sure how long it'll take me to start a Masterwork LP since I'm kind of busy, here's a quick walkthrough for getting up and running.

Setup

Setting up your Masterwork properly is very important, since some of the options are for masochists and some of the other ones are pretty important.

I prefer the Masterwork or Phoebus tilesets, but any work. Note that you can't have the extra weapon/item icons enabled if you want to use truetype. To enable truetype, turn off Creature Sprites and Item Images.

I like adding new siege races, even if I rarely see any besides frogmen.

The research system is just an annoying way to stop you from building workshops early on without making paper and a bunch of other research components first, which is okay if you want to have a sense of progression but is not for me, and if you want to experiment with workshops, not for you either.
The Wood Splitting Block allows you to turn 1 log into 2(4?) planks, which work as building materials. However, this skyrockets your fortress value because your dwarves must smooth the wood first, which adds value. This is kind of risky unless you set up an early defense.

All of the Furnaces are useful.

Some settings - Harder anything is unnecessary except to add more challenge, which as a new player to the mod, you don't need.
I believe the Clay oven is broken at the moment, he was revamping the whole Clay system so I wouldn't mess with it currently.

Dwarves seem to often die out in worldgen, so if you can't find a dwarven civ to play, uncheck the "Fort" column for everyone but dwarves in the Civilizations tab and worlds will be rejected until one has Dwarves in it.

Worldgen and Embarking

For starters, go into advanced worldgen and choose a world setup, I prefer the "Blessed Serra" worldgen, which appears as Good Plains I believe. This is a world with generally neutral or good biomes, but it also has a large number of volcanoes to delve right in to magma workshops.

Find a good embark point and embark, then you'll be greeted with this screen

See how the dwarves have caste titles behind them? That's something Meph added in, each dwarf has a chance to be in a random caste, where they enjoy/are better at doing the tasks of that guild. To find the guild, just start up the copy of therapist included with Masterwork...

See, it's easy! Use this to plan out your dwarves labors before embarking.

As for items, I generally bring a large amount of livestock and a small amount of actual items. Livestock are a great way to feed the entire fortress, and many of them have multiple uses.

Changelings can be transformed into animals to fight, as well as becoming familiars for the magic users of the mod.
Badgerdogs are basically dogs from Vanilla.
Doebeetles can be milked for Dew, which can be brewed into drinks at the Still/Brewery.
The Armoks Ward is for the special fun stuff that is in the mod, maybe not needed if that option is off.
Moleweasels are just Cats that don't adopt your dwarves.
Leatherwing Bats also hunt vermin, but are more important for the ability to shear them once a season for a free piece of leather.
Woolly Mountain Goats can be sheared for wool.
Boozebelly Goats can be milked, then the milk turned into cheese, then the cheese brewed into drinks. They're a more reliable booze source than dewbeetles.

Mastiffs are pretty large dogs, great for war training.
Drakes can be sheared for scales, but for some reason when I try to war train them they never attack anything. If you want a renewable scale source, drakes are a good investment.
Frilly Lizards are the third vermin-hunting option, but they're much slower than the other ones. They lay eggs.

My normal embark is various animals, such as Mastiffs to train for fighting, Moleweasels for food and vermin-hunting, and Leatherwing bats for leather.

Embark with "Chopping Axes" rather than battle axes, and regular picks rather than mining picks.

Actually playing the game

Embark, get out there, and you're ready to play.

Some quick tips: A lot of the Masterwork workshops are great for reducing the micro involved in Dwarf Fortress. The Rockforge/Gemforge/Glassforge can make weapons and other items out of Stone/Gems/Glass. The Furniture workshop can make sets of furniture out of various materials. Generally I use Stone Blocks to make bedroom sets, which is 1x Bed, 1x Door, 1x Coffer, 1x Cabinet.
Military training is slightly buffed in Masterwork, but not to the extent that it was buffed in DF2014. Be wary of Danger rooms, they're much more dangerous now.
You can embark with intestines and stomachs and turn them into rope and waterskins at the tannery.
If you don't have a steel industry set up yet but you need steel and iron for some reason, you can create and Altar of Armok and set "Pray for Hard Metals" on repeat. The altar has a small chance of creating an item each time a dwarf prays there.

The Greatforge creates 2handed weapons and armorsets, but for armor you really want the Armory, which can produce Plate Armor, which is better than just plain metal armor sets.
The Weaponry can upgrade weapons for you, causing them to become stronger.

That's all I've got for you guys now, here's a quick picture of the pretty multi-Z-level rendering on the edge of a volcano.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Speaking of masterwork, does anyone know how to make the tiles/ASCII as small as they are in vanilla? Because, frankly, they're kind of giant.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Speaking of masterwork, does anyone know how to make the tiles/ASCII as small as they are in vanilla? Because, frankly, they're kind of giant.

Zoom out? Or in the init file that you use to manually change tilesets, maybe.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

Verviticus posted:

there's a burrow loving something up somewhere then

This was what it was, I had a burrow overlapping the embassy.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Quick question: What do the "Indiv Eq" and "Squad Eq" options do under Barracks options? I know that I have to go into Alerts under Military to turn a squad on to Active Duty, but I'm not sure what those options do...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Quick question: What do the "Indiv Eq" and "Squad Eq" options do under Barracks options? I know that I have to go into Alerts under Military to turn a squad on to Active Duty, but I'm not sure what those options do...

I think it tells dwarves to go grab their equipment and walk about their daily duties in full armor and fully armed. I'm not sure what the difference between the two is, though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'm pretty sure those are for storing equipment and also don't actually do anything. They might have been related to the Arsenal Dwarf, who is not missed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm pretty sure those are for storing equipment and also don't actually do anything. They might have been related to the Arsenal Dwarf, who is not missed.

Yep, storing squad/individual equipment and as far as I know are defunct.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yep, storing squad/individual equipment and as far as I know are defunct.

...only until DFHack gets updated, at least. Rebuilding that system is a big feather in its cap.

Under its auspices, Indiv Eq controls where your squadmembers' personal armor and weaponry get stored. Squad Eq controls assigned ammunition.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I just found an interesting bug. When you chop down a tree, if you've built a wall underneath it, it'll destroy the top of the wall without destroying the bottom. So you have a wall tile that's just "empty space" at the top.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I just found an interesting bug. When you chop down a tree, if you've built a wall underneath it, it'll destroy the top of the wall without destroying the bottom. So you have a wall tile that's just "empty space" at the top.

So, in about a hundred years of random tree growth, one could finally have that ornate stone fence they always wanted.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

OwlFancier posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2014: I frequently get 'uneasy', surrounded by humans or groups of varying races.

Lol. This is better than the current OP.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I get a lot of enjoyment out of Legends mode.

Just generated this world. Isle of Man up there in the north-west.

Civilized World Population (year 220)
1 Dwarf
25631 Humans
29880 Goblins
Total: 55512

My worldgen settings only get what I'm expecting a fraction of the time. Entire species probably get lost from my abundance of megabeasts... but even under the best circumstances, I get merely dozens of Kobolds. I don't see an option in advanced world generation parameters to make Kobolds more prolific. Is there anything I can change there without going into the raws?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

They live in caves, so upping the total number of those might help. Most things you can do are still restricted to the kobold entity, though.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Spanish Matlock posted:

I believe this was patched in 0.40.04.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Met posted:

Civilized World Population (year 220)
1 Dwarf
25631 Humans
29880 Goblins
Total: 55512

You should start a very lonely dwarf fortress.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Please tell us about that dwarf.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, for one, he's a king, you see.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Please tell me his/her name is Urist.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Didn't keep that world.

I just punched a falcon so hard that it smacked straight into the ground and died.

Game of the Year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

Didn't keep that world.

I just punched a falcon so hard that it smacked straight into the ground and died.

Game of the Year.

Did you shout "falcon punch!" while you did so?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Had a strange occurrence in a fort last night - I had placed a few cage traps strategically around the perimeter of the zone, as I often do, and was harvesting dangerous beasts for their delicious meat and skin. Fixing up the traps can be a dangerous job, so I had assigned my mechanic a pack of war dogs to look after him. After a while the number of captured beasts started getting out of hand, and I was tired of dwarves running outside to grab the traps and make more cages and whatnot, so I ordered the traps disassembled. A few months pass without further incident when I am notified that my mechanic has gone missing. I check the usual places (ponds, rivers, pits and the like) without sign of him, shrug my shoulders and go about my business.

Some months later I'm fiddling about trying to reassign the dogs (who still show up as assigned to the mechanic) who are endlessly hanging out in my animal cage room, when I notice the dead dwarf icon blinking in one of the traps.

My mechanic had somehow managed to trap himself in one of his own cages.

Not only that, but one of the other dwarves had obviously then gone to pickup the cage and store it in the stockpile. Where poor Urist Mcmechanisms had died of thirst under the watchful eyes of his canine companions, and all the other animals he had helped catch.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Well, that went a lot better than I expected, especially considering that the blast of dragon fire literally melted the bare granite cavern floor into magma around the guard. An exceptional maple shield indeed. Her only two kills are now a giantess and the dragon.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mygna posted:

Well, that went a lot better than I expected, especially considering that the blast of dragon fire literally melted the bare granite cavern floor into magma around the guard. An exceptional maple shield indeed. Her only two kills are now a giantess and the dragon.

Maybe the elves were right all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

This doesn't seem ominous at all.

King Vutok that the liaison mentions here is the dwarf that I had suddenly ascend to the position of king, and Athel is the dwarf who replaced him as king after Vutok went insane in his workshop. It's kind of cool, I suppose, to know that the outside world is affected by events taking place in my fortress, and vice versa ... even if none of it really amounts to much at the moment.