Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Das Volk posted:

While we're on vans:

Fine, I'll be the one to say it. I LOVE lowrider trucks and vans.

Because the internet is an awesome place I found another picture of it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

content:

this was a fun one to drive into the workshop

I had a similar experience today:

What's worse than improperly installing a cheap ball joint with no snap ring? Continuing to drive on it long after its inevitable failure! :downsbravo:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder if this is a Honda.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

fakeaccount posted:

I wonder if this is a Honda.

Pretty sure it's a Ferrari with some Honda badges on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

From a thread labaled "cheap auto repair"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's like someone's first try with the Forza decal editor made it to the real world.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bookmarked. Thanks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

From a thread labaled "cheap auto repair"

Couldn't even spring for the black tape. For shame.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Ugh, loving transphobic car makers.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
A video containign this appeared on my newsfeed... The scraping noise was the perfect accompaniment

http://imgur.com/fuNyesN

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

thegasman2000 posted:

A video containign this appeared on my newsfeed... The scraping noise was the perfect accompaniment

http://imgur.com/fuNyesN

An article that someone liked on my facebook:

http://simplyfreshfitment.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-cringe-every-time-i-scrape-says-love.html?spref=fb

Title:

quote:

“I cringe every time I scrape,” says Love, laughing. “But it’s worth every minute!”

The car:

It's, perhaps, not as offensive as the car you linked, but still. "I cringe every time I scrape." Yeah, because the car's height is perhaps optimal for driving on not well-kept and uniformly flat roads, moron.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Protocol7 posted:

An article that someone liked on my facebook:

http://simplyfreshfitment.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-cringe-every-time-i-scrape-says-love.html?spref=fb

Title:

The car:

It's, perhaps, not as offensive as the car you linked, but still. "I cringe every time I scrape." Yeah, because the car's height is perhaps optimal for driving on not well-kept and uniformly flat roads, moron.

Oh no, someone enjoying their car. Burn them.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 23, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BlackMK4 posted:

You know, I don't remember saying they couldn't enjoy their car. Just that I think it's not "worth it" when you leave a little bit of your undercarriage behind every 30 minutes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Protocol7 posted:

You know, I don't remember saying they couldn't enjoy their car. Just that I think it's not "worth it" when you leave a little bit of your undercarriage behind every 30 minutes.

You don't, you end up leaving some scrapes in your exhaust... which if you're smart has a little sacrificial piece of rebar welded to it at the low spots where it drags. Driving a low car that scrapes isn't as big of as a deal as people here make it out to be. It's a street car, not a race car. It's about fun and enjoying the car - something that a lot of 'car enthusiasts' have forgotten about, apparently. That's terrible car stuff.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 23, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In the interest of not participating in a stupid page-long debate, you can describe half the thread in the tone of "Oh no, someone enjoying their car. Burn them." They can enjoy their car, and I can opt to not enjoy their car (or in this case, I think the car looks okay, but I can't really agree with their reasoning). So let's just agree to disagree.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BlackMK4 posted:

:jerkbag:

Can we agree this is awful?

Because this is the truck equivalent of what you're defending.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

I'm not defending that abomination, the truck equivalent to that E90 would probably be something like this:

That LS400 would definitely be that bro-truck and is terrible as gently caress. That BMW? Not terrible.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 23, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm sorry but if your car cannot make it over a large speed-bump without significant scraping and your car is not also restricted to track-use then your car is stupid.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Was the fake vinyl roof an OE option on these because god drat :barf:

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm not defending that abomination, the truck equivalent to that E90 would probably be something like this:

That LS400 would definitely be that bro-truck and is terrible as gently caress. That BMW? Not terrible.

The BMW is pretty awful actually. Sorry

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Kenshin posted:

I'm sorry but if your car cannot make it over a large speed-bump without significant scraping and your car is not also restricted to track-use then your car is stupid.

See: Most exotics or even a stock height 997TT.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

kastein posted:

No.

The wheel choice is strange, the lug-spikes are definitely not optimal, I'm not a fan of the grille, and who knows what could be going on with the suspension. But I loving love duallies with big chunky ATs, and it's even a Ford. I'd blow the dude who drove this.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

N is for Nipples posted:

No.

The wheel choice is strange, the lug-spikes are definitely not optimal, I'm not a fan of the grille, and who knows what could be going on with the suspension. But I loving love duallies with big chunky ATs, and it's even a Ford. I'd blow the dude who drove this.

Well that got weird rather quickly.

I posted this in the chat thread but no one cared. :emo:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140721/LEGALFILE/307219975/selling-vehicles-for-export-angers-automakers-but-is-it-illegal

quote:

When U.S. Secret Service agents showed up at Jaguar Land Rover Cincinnati, a customer wearing a T-shirt and shorts who claimed to be a wealthy energy broker was about to buy a Range Rover with a cashier's check for $93,005.

The agents watched the deal close, then followed the buyer to his home. There, they learned he was unemployed and lived with his mother, court documents show.

The man was buying the Range Rover for a company called Automotive Consultants of Hollywood. He was to leave it at a storage yard a few days later in exchange for $500. Had the agents not seized the SUV, they say, it was destined for a buyer in China who didn't want to pay the marked-up prices at Land Rover dealerships there.

Authorities, who say these types of transactions happen frequently, began working last year to stop the increasing flow of high-end cars overseas. But they've run into a significant obstacle: What the exporters are doing may not be illegal -- even if the government and the automakers don't like it, and even if so-called straw buyers are sometimes deceptive.

Most automakers prohibit sales to exporters and have charged dealers who violate the bans more than $30 million in recent years, according to court testimony.

"What they're complaining about is competition," said Ely Goldin, a Pennsylvania lawyer representing several exporters that have had property seized. "Why should somebody who goes into a dealership and pays top dollar for a car be legally prohibited from selling the car to whoever they want to sell it to?"

The Secret Service, customs agents and authorities in at least 11 states have been cracking down on export operations but with relatively little to show for their efforts.

They experienced a big setback in April, when a federal judge in Ohio ordered the government to return the Range Rover, a $64,000 Porsche Cayenne and $1.2 million in cash it had taken from Automotive Consultants of Hollywood. The judge, Sandra Beckwith, said prosecutors failed to provide enough evidence that the company had broken any laws. Because the vehicles were fully paid for, Beckwith also was skeptical that the dealerships, which prosecutors were portraying as victims, had suffered a loss.

Arbitrage opportunity

One thing is certain: Exporting cars to China can be extremely lucrative, even considering the cost of obtaining and shipping them. That's because many automakers set their Chinese sticker prices at double or triple what U.S. buyers pay. A BMW X6, for example, starts at $61,900 at U.S. dealerships but 1.06 million yuan, or $171,000, in China.

Thus, exporters say they are merely enjoying the benefits of a free market and the arbitrage opportunities that high prices and demand in China create.

"What you have is the federal government protecting foreign manufacturers' profit margins," said Josh Widlansky, a Florida lawyer representing Automotive Consultants of Hollywood, which says it locates vehicles for overseas clients but does not actually export any vehicles itself. "You have totally noncriminal conduct that the government is criminalizing because of these private contracts between the manufacturers and the dealerships."

"What you have is the federal government protecting foreign manufacturers' profit margins."
Josh Widlansky
Florida attorney
For dealers, exporting represents a mixed bag. Sales to exporters are often easy, fast transactions at sticker price. But those who knowingly sell to exporters -- or don't do enough to screen them out, even at the risk of missing their end-of-month target -- can face severe consequences from the factory. These include monetary penalties known as chargebacks, the loss of future inventory or even termination of their franchise.

BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche -- four of exporters' most-favored brands -- penalized their U.S. dealers with chargebacks totaling $30.4 million from 2008 through 2013, Secret Service Agent Morgan Morgan, who investigated the Ohio case, said during a March court hearing. Land Rover accounted for $5.6 million of that amount.

Big business

The automakers estimated their losses to be about five times the penalties they have levied, Morgan testified. And that may be a conservative figure.

One company, Efans Trading Corp., was involved in the export of 2,000 high-end vehicles worth more than $80 million to be exported to China in 2012. Efans expected to do 3,000 vehicles last year, Morgan said, before the government seized millions of dollars from its accounts and dozens of the vehicles.

Automakers maintain lists of known exporters and bar their dealerships from doing business with them. But beyond checking that list, many dealers say they have few ways to separate straw buyers from legitimate customers whom they don't want to turn down.

Goldin, the Pennsylvania lawyer, said he is certain that some dealers knowingly deal with exporters to boost their sales numbers, then claim they were duped if audited by the factory.

At another Cincinnati dealership, Joseph Porsche of Kings Automall, one salesman sold cars to nine out-of-state buyers recommended by one man who now appears on Porsche's list of exporters, according to court documents. All of the buyers paid with cashier's checks.

Porsche has issued $4,800 in chargebacks against the dealership, Morgan said, including $600 related to those nine cars, five of which were located later in China. The store's general manager, Bill Winstel, declined to comment.

Mercedes-Benz GL63

New penalties

Automakers' policies for dealing with dealerships that sell to exporters vary. Porsche issues a chargeback beginning only with a dealership's third such sale in a given year, Morgan said.

BMW and Land Rover each sent lengthy letters to their U.S. dealers in recent months outlining more stringent penalties for selling to exporters. The BMW letter, obtained by Automotive News, says dealerships linked to exported vehicles could forfeit bonuses and future vehicle allocations if they can't demonstrate adequate due diligence. Even the first violation could be grounds for franchise termination if the circumstances are particularly egregious, BMW of North America CFO Stefan Sengewald warned.

"This practice is a serious violation of BMW center agreements," Sengewald wrote. He said authorities are investigating, among other allegations, "potential bribery or kickback schemes involving sales by BMW center personnel." "Center" is the BMW term for a dealership.

The letter also listed a series of warning signs that dealers should watch for in a potential buyer, such as traveling from far away to buy a specific model or paying in cash with no trade-in and no test drive. It says BMW could distribute fewer X5s and X6s to North America if many of them end up in China, where they are especially popular.

Spotting straw buyers
BMW has told its U.S. dealers that these red flags could indicate a customer is buying on behalf of an exporter.
• BMW X5 or X6 with 3.5-liter engine
• Payment with cash or bank cashier's check
• No down payment; credit card in a different name; or credit-card number provided without presenting the card
• No trade-in and no test drive
• Traveling a great distance because “you have the exact model I'm looking for”
• Student purchasers
• Same address as someone else on the exporter list
• Requesting a build sheet
• Getting minimal insurance
• Purchases at other stores
• Irritable and evasive when asked to sign a non-export agreement

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has been investigating BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes and Porsche dealerships around New York City for months. A spokeswoman for Schneiderman's office said the investigation was ongoing and no charges have been filed.

One dealership group, Prestige Motors, fired or suspended about six executives in connection with the investigation in April, The New York Times reported then. A spokeswoman for the group, whose nine locations include BMW, Mercedes and Land Rover stores in New Jersey, said the company doesn't publicly discuss personnel matters but "does not condone export transactions." She said the letter BMW sent to its dealerships was not related to any known allegations against Prestige BMW.

Few criminal cases

Most of the cases against exporters have come in the form of civil lawsuits filed by the government rather than criminal charges. The criminal cases generally have involved ancillary activities such as identity theft or tax evasion. Two men pleaded guilty in New Hampshire last year to charges of mail fraud.

Lawyers for exporters say the lack of criminal charges relative to the number of allegations authorities are making shows that the business model is fundamentally legal. Widlansky, the Florida lawyer, said exporting should be a matter between automakers and their dealers, or between dealers and customers who violate the no-export agreements that are a routine part of many luxury-car transactions. Some dealers have sued straw buyers after being penalized by a manufacturer.

At Jaguar Land Rover Cincinnati, Morgan said, the general manager, Rich Allen, was "ecstatic" to get government help in deterring exports, according to a hearing transcript. Allen told the agent his dealership receives and rejects one to three inquiries from exporter suspects per week and could sell its entire inventory in one week if it did not screen out exporters.

Morgan said the dealership has limited inventory and wants to sell to buyers who will return for service work. Allen did not respond to a request for comment from Automotive News.

Chinese prices partly reflect hefty taxes and 25 percent tariffs on imported vehicles. But a report last year from Bernstein Research found that prices on several models were an average of 37 percent higher in China even after accounting for the extra costs. When Tesla Motors began selling its Model S in China, it took the unusual step of charging the same price as in the United States, plus a $3,600 shipping charge, $17,700 in value-added tax and $19,000 in duties and other taxes.

"We know that our competitors will try to convince Chinese consumers that our relatively lower price tag means the Model S is a lesser car," Tesla wrote on its blog, "when the real reason their car costs more is that they make double the profit per car in China compared to the United States or Europe."

Automakers argue that the vehicles they sell in one market are not designed to be transported elsewhere. They say cars sold in the United States can have problems with lower-octane Chinese fuel, for example, and that servicing those vehicles under warranty costs them more money. They also say they can't reach owners in case of a recall.

Beckwith, the Ohio judge, seemed unconvinced. "These nebulous issues aside," she wrote, "it appears to the Court that the primary concern of the manufacturers is guarding their foreign market profits from competition."-is-it-illegal

Apparently BMW's nonsense naming/engine displacement scheme is some kind of trap to expose straw buyers. :v:

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Some terrible OC...

This is some of the the chitty brake fluid my life has basically been depending on since I bought my car... Wow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks like the fluid I took out of Blazer last year (I have a picture but imgur is being stupid right now.)

Which reminds me, I should probably flush the fluid on the Protege one of these days; at least the reservoir got clean fluid when I bled the clutch while putting the new motor in. Maybe when I put my new front struts in.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Looks like the fluid I took out of Blazer last year (I have a picture but imgur is being stupid right now.)

Which reminds me, I should probably flush the fluid on the Protege one of these days; at least the reservoir got clean fluid when I bled the clutch while putting the new motor in. Maybe when I put my new front struts in.

Yeah I suspect that this may be some of the original fluid from 2000. The stuff in my reservoir was fairly clear so it was topped off but there are no records of the system ever having been bled or flushed.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

See: Most exotics or even a stock height 997TT.
:eng101: Many newer exotics have automatic ride-height adjustment that lowers the car when put into track mode and raises it for street or sport modes. :v:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Root Bear posted:

I had a similar experience today:

What's worse than improperly installing a cheap ball joint with no snap ring? Continuing to drive on it long after its inevitable failure! :downsbravo:
Reminds me of when we were visiting San Antonio, and the CV joint in our Caravan ruptured, but we had to drive 150 miles to get back home on it. By the time we got home, it was pretty much held in by prayer alone.

Unfortunately, this was in 1997, and I don't have any pictures of it, so have this instead.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Speaking of CV axles, here's an old one. Someone posted that their Subaru GL would only move in 4WD mode, not FWD mode. So I had them take a picture of the axles.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Am I looking at that right? There's a cv boot and a stub in the hub but no axle? On mobile so it's hard to see, but how do you manage to do that?

Another classic is owners pointing out the hella horns as turbo's, haha.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bajaha posted:

Am I looking at that right? There's a cv boot and a stub in the hub but no axle? On mobile so it's hard to see, but how do you manage to do that?

I thought that was it at first too but it looks like the shaft is hiding behind the tie rod. TBH I'm actually kind of at a loss as to what's going on in that picture.

Content:

Sorry for the quality, my phone's camera needed cleaned off. Click for huge - not the demolition derby car under tow but the sexy fairy decal on the back window of the Expedition towing it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bajaha posted:

Another classic is owners pointing out the hella horns as turbo's, haha.

Note the ball bearing sitting on the LCA right by the balljoint.

Well, there's your problem!

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 25, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is that a ball bearing on the control arm?

content:

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 24, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Is that a ball bearing on the control arm?

content:

This guy is a local that ends up at every hellaflush event.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

SaNChEzZ posted:

This guy is a local that ends up at every hellaflush event.

Ahahaha that loving car.

I watched that thing pull into the car show at FDLB, and it got hung up on one of those plastic cable covers. Then it dragged it partway through the parking lot and hosed up some power lines coming from a generator or something. I even took a picture, with a flash:

Plus it looks exactly the same like 5 years later.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kenshin posted:

:eng101: Many newer exotics have automatic ride-height adjustment that lowers the car when put into track mode and raises it for street or sport modes. :v:

Even the F40 had something like this.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Speaking of CV axles, here's an old one. Someone posted that their Subaru GL would only move in 4WD mode, not FWD mode. So I had them take a picture of the axles.

My grandfather's GL eats CVs for breakfast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

animeliker posted:

Even the F40 had something like this.

The Mclaren F1 was the first car to do this on the fly AFAIK, it would get lower with speed.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Throatwarbler posted:

Well that got weird rather quickly.

I posted this in the chat thread but no one cared. :emo:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140721/LEGALFILE/307219975/selling-vehicles-for-export-angers-automakers-but-is-it-illegal

Apparently BMW's nonsense naming/engine displacement scheme is some kind of trap to expose straw buyers. :v:

So I guess it's back to buying stolen BMWs and Land Rovers smuggled out of the country in shipping containers.

Some people might find this terrible for some reason, but that's mostly subjective, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The Mclaren F1 was the first car to do this on the fly AFAIK, it would get lower with speed.

Porsche 959 did it in 1986. Other things the 959 helped usher in: carbon fiber and aluminium body, AWD as a performance aid, active differentials, tire pressure monitors, factory cars capable of hitting speeds in excess of 200 mph, etc.