Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I've got an idea that will make this game better. You can disable proximity voicechat exclusively. Actually, it should be off by default.

Are we still doing Totally TR Tuesdays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sard posted:

Depending on how quickly you can flick between modes, it might be kinda crazy good. As in, you might be getting a shotgun that can fire two shots with almost no delay. A normal shotgun for most intents with a built-in :fuckoff: button.

Or you run slugs but still have a shell for point blank emergencies, which would make it the proest shotgun ever.

Safety Scissors posted:

Hey I've got an idea that will make this game better. You can disable proximity voicechat exclusively. Actually, it should be off by default.

But then you can't hear PooNanners... :negative:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

This is the worst idea. How am I supposed to go about shooting mans if I can't hear SecretlyTerran or Inlor playing the cantina music from Star Wars, or the Ginyu Force theme song?! HOW?!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

Yep! It's an indefinite thing in addition to whenever a squad is up randomly

I'm at dinner for an hour or so and then will be back BUT IT'S GOING ON RIGHT NOOOOWWWWW

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Prox chat is good.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I use prox chat a lot. I use it to ask pubbies for assistance, to thank them, other communication stuff like that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I use prox chat to do spoken word versions of old country songs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Prox chat? Do you guys mean quack chat?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I use prox chat to screech to other medics for revives like everyone else.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Funky Valentine posted:

I use prox chat to do spoken word versions of old country songs.

you're doing Higby's work.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
Prox Chat + Platoon Chat + Mumble + Command Chat = Schizophrenia simulator.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If I turned off proximity chat then I wouldn't know who's being an angry jackass that needs a short break via teamkilling.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Back when I played a year or so ago I used prox chat to pipe in Danger Zone and the opening theme for Top Gun whenever we'd do Air Goons poo poo.

Also Why Can't We Be Friends when defending an AMP/Tech plants

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

For some reason these two things are related (wanting to play TR and asking how to mute prox chat.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
One night when I was running with my little outfit we ended up getting a hanger-on who was constantly blasting dance music on prox chat and he followed us from base to base to base in these really great squad-level fights. It was the best and I miss him dearly.

Is there any way to disable command chat without disabling prox chat and other in-game voice?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh man NC at zotz, 34% VS with 2+ platoons of NC outside and they couldn't take it hahahahah. We then did the same to TR and yell chat, oh god yell chat hahahahaha.

Finished my LSW rax wooh! Betelgeuse on day 1!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Arghy posted:

Oh man NC at zotz, 34% VS with 2+ platoons of NC outside and they couldn't take it hahahahah. We then did the same to TR and yell chat, oh god yell chat hahahahaha.

Hahaha I was there yelling at my fellow NC brethren that we apparently didn't want Zotz enough and should just ghostcap other bases. Then some butthurt guy chimed in saying that NC weapons are underpowered.

I swear I'm the only NC guy with smoke and IRNV.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
A lipsync animation puppet I made this evening that our glorious outfit leader can run his speeches through in the future:

In case you're wondering why it looks a little familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6H14gVWjM

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 23, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

I use prox chat a lot. I use it to ask pubbies for assistance, to thank them, other communication stuff like that.

I still yell at pubbies in prox chat, but I have myself muted to it haha.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Prox Chat is usually either a) obnoxious music/sound clips, b) stammering neckbeards whining about things.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Most of the time in prox chat I just hear some lame techno spam or some 12 year old screaming DELTA FOXTROT ACTUAL BOGEY NINER, but every now and then someone plays some wonderful :911: freedom tunes which is already my playlist on NC anyway.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I would have voice chat on but then I wouldn't be able to hear all the honking.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Periphery posted:

I would have voice chat on but then I wouldn't be able to hear all the honking.

Turn down the ducking factor or the prox chat volume.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I use Prox chat mainly to play 60's music while in a Battle Gal on Hossin and apologize for TK's.

Never really had that big an issue with Prox Chat, it's really rare to see someone abusing it. Or maybe I've just muted the worst offenders already.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Unless poonanners is around I mute mine. Having to listen to squeakers playing armchair general is ear poison.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If you push Enter on the Numberpad you mute whoever is speaking. While still letting you keep the magic when a Prowler speeds past with a very drunk Swedish guy singing to himself.

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police
Holy poo poo the Baron is the Jackhammer's little brother and it takes slugs. :stare:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Arghy posted:

Finally auraxed the ursa as well but I wont be using Betelgeuse. I'm going to finish auraxing the polaris and occasionally go heavy time to time to use the Betelgeuse.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

CheeseSpawn posted:

Finally auraxed the ursa as well but I wont be using Betelgeuse. I'm going to finish auraxing the polaris and occasionally go heavy time to time to use the Betelgeuse.

Dont do that to yourself, embrace the betelgeuse and just sigh in contentment. Unless you already have the other weapon classes raxed you can always follow the purple road with them! I need to rax the NS11c so i'm going to be playing engineer forever then i get to work on the pulsar/terminus/NS11a then maybe the loving shotguns though i'm tempted to go stalker for awhile until i get the pistols raxed.

I got the polaris but i heard its basically a NS15m and uuughhh that gun just doesn't work with my ping so i gotta see if it works or not. Theres nothing like watching as you track a moving targets head and the bullets pass through their head because their head is randomly in front/behind your aim point.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Arghy posted:

I got the polaris but i heard its basically a NS15m and uuughhh that gun just doesn't work with my ping so i gotta see if it works or not. Theres nothing like watching as you track a moving targets head and the bullets pass through their head because their head is randomly in front/behind your aim point.

The game has client side hit detection so ping shouldn't really be an issue at all in this situation.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Its not really just ping, its just bad hit detection that gets worse at higher pings.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Arghy posted:

Dont do that to yourself, embrace the betelgeuse and just sigh in contentment. Unless you already have the other weapon classes raxed you can always follow the purple road with them! I need to rax the NS11c so i'm going to be playing engineer forever then i get to work on the pulsar/terminus/NS11a then maybe the loving shotguns though i'm tempted to go stalker for awhile until i get the pistols raxed.

Yeah I got the purple fever so I need to hang up the heavy for awhile once I get the polaris aurax. I'm still deciding on whether to concentrate on playing medic or engy/LA more. I took the polaris for quick spin before I logged and it kind of reminds me of really lovely version of the MSRW.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

CheeseSpawn posted:

Yeah I got the purple fever so I need to hang up the heavy for awhile once I get the polaris aurax. I'm still deciding on whether to concentrate on playing medic or engy/LA more. I took the polaris for quick spin before I logged and it kind of reminds me of really lovely version of the MSRW.

Imho: Don't use the Polaris with the ALS. 2x, grib, comp and SPA is the way to go.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Got this when I was searching for "PS2 stats site" - nice sponsored ad, SOE. :v:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Pand posted:

Imho: Don't use the Polaris with the ALS. 2x, grib, comp and SPA is the way to go.

I did 500 kills with the LSW with a laser and the polaris feels exactly like the LSW except slower reload and slightly slower RoF. I'm doing good with IRNV/ALS/comp since the comp will affect my ADS and the ALS mitigates any damage the comp does to hipfire. I might go laser on the NS11c because holy poo poo that gun gets you killed under 10m.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Haha Connery's stupidity knows no bounds. I hopped on a few minutes ago to find NC and VS fighting on a road west of Chac tech plant and neither side accomplishing anything or even moving. Meanwhile some VS ghostcapped the base behind the NC's advance while the NC remained in their tanks and Sunderers motionless and clueless.

How do these idiots remember to breath?

30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police

Gobblecoque posted:

How do these idiots remember to breath?

I'm convinced they're really poorly-coded AI.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Last night on Connery I logged in, deployed to a base on Esamir, noticed a lone NC about 200m away across a snowfield from the spawn room, and killed him in two short 8-round TORQ bursts. It was like I was just brushing a bug off my sleeve or something.

The loving TORQ, man.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If they wanted people's Smedbucks they had to release a gun that had something over the T1-Cycler. So we got the TORQ, who's only disadvantage as far as I can tell is it's on the TR Medic, who are already unfairly spoilt for choice.

It's like the unholy fusion of an Armistice and the SABR-13, except it reloads even faster than either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

30 Second Artbomb posted:

I'm convinced they're really poorly-coded AI.

I remember thinking there was a test of some AI that someone was making en masse on Connery under the names "TRBest" "NCBest" and "VSBest" because they moved in very specific, defined ways and would run into the middle of nowhere as if they had been scripted to move certain ways. The naming scheme, I figured, was to see which batch of code / gear was the best. They all had a few unlocks each, too. Just enough to run under the radar of legitimate players, right?

Turns out they were accounts made for a Korean game convention.

• Locked thread