Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That reminds me, Nerd Cubed did a video recently on Dark Souls 2. He hated the first one, but he picked up the sequel for cheap and put 30 hours into it before coming to a conclusion. That conclusion being: this game was designed for Klingons. He said it's the kind of game that appeals to a guy who would chew his own leg off before going into battle just to make it more of a challenge.

His video did go over a lot of legitimate flaws with it and bad design decisions, which is why it ends up being more entertaining than any "X gets angry at a game" video. And he did still get a little enjoyment out of it, but he did put in a ton of time into forming an opinion instead of just playing for 30 minutes on a facecam and throwing the controller.

What reminded me of his video is that he also brought up the lock-on. He doesn't even really remember which button on the PS3 controller it is because he never used it. He found that he tended to roll in a circle around enemies when locked on instead of away from them to dodge attacks, so he just stopped using it. He also discovered that it was really easy to just trick enemies into falling off cliffs instead of fighting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
I think that's pretty cool, though. I love the Souls series, but hell, they're not perfect by any means. It's great having a point of view like that.

Sadly, most of them end up being, "Oh man, this game is hard, why am I LPing this, this game sucks etc". That mindset always confuses me. I mean, if you don't like what you're playing, don't LP it! Even people who LP bad games find enjoyment in how stupid/bad it is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Dan's general opinion on Dark Souls 2 is that it doesn't deserve the epic amounts of praise heaped on it. It has some good parts, but it tries too hard to appeal to the gamers who want the ultimate challenge to be fun to anyone outside of that group. He also pointed out a lot of bad game design decisions, like the game giving no information about the covenant you're about to join and placing Victor's Stone (which does nothing but make the game harder) right at the starting hub area where it's easy for newbies to accidentally screw themselves over by basically increasing the difficulty on them. And you can't even level up unless you speak to one particular NPC (who's not clearly marked and is standing a little out of the way) several times, which you likely won't have much of a reason to do. And it's way too easy in some areas to cheese the game by just dodging until the enemy flings himself off a cliff, which you get the XP for.

Basically, he feels that the game goes too far toward the Sierra Adventure Game level of difficulty, where you end up screwing yourself over if you try to play without staring at the wiki or a guide the entire time. Which isn't what he finds fun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Dan's general opinion on Dark Souls 2 is that it doesn't deserve the epic amounts of praise heaped on it. It has some good parts, but it tries too hard to appeal to the gamers who want the ultimate challenge to be fun to anyone outside of that group. He also pointed out a lot of bad game design decisions, like the game giving no information about the covenant you're about to join and placing Victor's Stone (which does nothing but make the game harder) right at the starting hub area where it's easy for newbies to accidentally screw themselves over by basically increasing the difficulty on them.

Except the game gives you three warnings about joining the covenant which should make someone pause for at least a moment. Plus there's the Way of the Blue via the much easier to find Saulden, which is much more beneficial to join for a new player.

quote:

And you can't even level up unless you speak to one particular NPC (who's not clearly marked and is standing a little out of the way) several times, which you likely won't have much of a reason to do.

Except she's standing between the first bonfire and the monument, wearing green against a golden sky. If you're paying attention she's hard to miss.

quote:

And it's way too easy in some areas to cheese the game by just dodging until the enemy flings himself off a cliff, which you get the XP for.

Except that's more work than hitting them a couple of times? It's valid in that the AI could be better, but that's kind of a general complaint for any game rather than a specific one.00

quote:

Basically, he feels that the game goes too far toward the Sierra Adventure Game level of difficulty, where you end up screwing yourself over if you try to play without staring at the wiki or a guide the entire time. Which isn't what he finds fun.

His video is poo poo because his confused what he dislikes with bad game design. The Souls games are games that expect you to pay attention to your surroundings and experiment. It's fine to not like that but it's not bad game design. The games are not and do not attempt to be hard (the whole summoning system should make that clear) so much as requiring effort from the player.

There are plenty of valid complaints (MMO-esque drop rates, level design being able to prevent an invader from getting to the host, certain weapons being outright better than others the majority of the time, among others) but none of those are ones.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
My favorite part of that garbage post was how you ignored all the criticisms and instead talked about unrelated stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Except the game gives you three warnings about joining the covenant which should make someone pause for at least a moment. Plus there's the Way of the Blue via the much easier to find Saulden, which is much more beneficial to join for a new player.

You literally didn't even address the point: the game doesn't actually tell you what it's going to do beyond "Begin an arduous path." He thought it was just flavor text for the game, since he already knew it was a really hard game and it seemed like a way you would start the quest. The warnings don't even do anything but make you hit "Yes" three times, without telling you if it's going to make flaming dogs rain from the sky for all you know.

quote:

Except she's standing between the first bonfire and the monument, wearing green against a golden sky. If you're paying attention she's hard to miss.

She's standing about 50 yards away from the rest of the village on a cliffside with nothing to indicate that she's unique, and you need to talk to her unprompted multiple times before you even get the option to level up. The game never tells you that you need to do this and she doesn't seem especially unique in any way.

quote:

Except that's more work than hitting them a couple of times? It's valid in that the AI could be better, but that's kind of a general complaint for any game rather than a specific one.00

I think it's a valid complaint when the game is supposed to be extremely difficult and you end up winning hard encounters by just barrel rolling around until the AI fucks up, trips, and falls.

quote:

His video is poo poo because his confused what he dislikes with bad game design. The Souls games are games that expect you to pay attention to your surroundings and experiment. It's fine to not like that but it's not bad game design. The games are not and do not attempt to be hard (the whole summoning system should make that clear) so much as requiring effort from the player.

You know, Dan actually talked about the Dark Souls fanbase and its weirdness. I don't think he was wrong.

I don't even get how you can say "Dark Souls does not attempt to be hard and, in fact, is not hard" with a straight face.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't even get how you can say "Dark Souls does not attempt to be hard and, in fact, is not hard" with a straight face.

Because it doesn't. Hard is something like the Ninja Gaiden games (original or remakes) or Metal Gear Rising on Hard, where you have to master the combat systems to do at all well. You do not need to do that in the Souls games; you can just bash your head against the figurative wall and make it through, and the game gives an out via the summoning system. You can make the games hard by limiting what you use, but they are not hard by default.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Dark Souls is a game about learning, like learning how you should never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever discuss Dark Souls with Dark Souls fans.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Because it doesn't. Hard is something like the Ninja Gaiden games (original or remakes) or Metal Gear Rising on Hard, where you have to master the combat systems to do at all well. You do not need to do that in the Souls games; you can just bash your head against the figurative wall and make it through, and the game gives an out via the summoning system. You can make the games hard by limiting what you use, but they are not hard by default.

The True Dark Souls Argument Starts Here

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Please don't argue with Genocyber, he already makes the Dark Souls thread unreadable at times.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

You know, Dan actually talked about the Dark Souls fanbase and its weirdness. I don't think he was wrong.

Hey can we just all agree that the Souls games are pretty much perfect and we shouldn't tolerate people trash-talking them at all ever because they are essentially ambrosia and I mean that in the way that they are basically gifts from the gods and not that they're some sort of food and that you should eat them because they're not food and eating them would make you sick because humans can't digest that crap unless you bought digital copies in which case whatever you can't eat them anyways because they don't really exist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Hey can we just all agree that the Souls games are pretty much perfect and we shouldn't tolerate people trash-talking them at all ever because they are essentially ambrosia and I mean that in the way that they are basically gifts from the gods and not that they're some sort of food and that you should eat them because they're not food and eating them would make you sick because humans can't digest that crap unless you bought digital copies in which case whatever you can't eat them anyways because they don't really exist.

The real problem with Dark Souls fans is that the sarcasm and serious fan posts are identical.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I have never played any of the Souls series and after seeing how crazy the fanbase is, I probably won't. Doesn't even look like I am missing much to be honest.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

agreed/

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Genocyber posted:

See the Souls games are really hard but they're not hard when you put in effort!

That sounds like a way to describe every single video game ever made. What exactly are you trying to prove beyond showcasing that almost every Souls games fan can be safely ignored?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I dunno, I saw Chip Cheezum's LP of Revengence, it looked pretty easy to me, it's just buttons and poo poo, right? :shrug:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ReturnOfFable posted:

I have never played any of the Souls series and after seeing how crazy the fanbase is, I probably won't. Doesn't even look like I am missing much to be honest.

You're missing a lot. Don't let a few rabid people keep you from playing great games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ReturnOfFable posted:

Video games are really fun. Play them!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

You're missing a lot. Don't let a few rabid people keep you from playing great games.

Agreed.

I have kind of issues with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 (nothing major, just trouble getting into them) but Dark Souls 1 really is as good as advertised.

The fans are nuts though.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Totally this. You can play the games single player, if you would prefer. There's NPCs that can help you with boss fights, without having to interact with players, too! That's...kind of recommended, honestly.

As much as I love the games, I won't defend the fanbase in the slightest.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

Agreed.

I have kind of issues with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 (nothing major, just trouble getting into them) but Dark Souls 1 really is as good as advertised.

So tell me slowbeef, have you learned the difference yet between a Dragon, a Wyvern, a Drake, a Dragvernakedyke, and whatever the gently caress else the DS fanbase bitched at you about?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMS posted:

So tell me slowbeef, have you learned the difference yet between a Dragon, a Wyvern, a Drake, a Dragvernakedyke, and whatever the gently caress else the DS fanbase bitched at you about?

:frogout:

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

slowbeef posted:

Agreed.

Honestly, I prefer Dark Souls 2 over the first mainly because I thought the latter half of DS1 paled so much compared to the first. Stuff like Lost Izalith and Crystal Caves made it abundantly clear I'll never ever want to replay it.

I'll replay Dark Souls 2 though. It didn't hit the peaks of the first game but none of the areas were as bad as the worst locales of Dark Souls 1 was. It was more consistent in general.

Can't speak for Demons Souls because I don't own a Playstation 3 and have no real plan to get one so I can't play this game!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Why is it on the internet you can't say something is difficult without someone coming along going "Well I beat it first try with the starting weapon with no armour or weapon upgrades in 1 minute without getting hit once and never missing an attack, please stop playing the game so you don't continue to embarrass yourself"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Honestly, I prefer Dark Souls 2 over the first mainly because I thought the latter half of DS1 paled so much compared to the first. Stuff like Lost Izalith and Crystal Caves made it abundantly clear I'll never ever want to replay it.

I'll replay Dark Souls 2 though. It didn't hit the peaks of the first game but none of the areas were as bad as the worst locales of Dark Souls 1 was. It was more consistent in general.

Can't speak for Demons Souls because I don't own a Playstation 3 and have no real plan to get one so I can't play this game!

Make sure you get the dlc too, it's probably the very best area in the game so far!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Why is it on the internet you can't say something is difficult without someone coming along going "Well I beat it first try with the starting weapon with no armour or weapon upgrades in 1 minute without getting hit once and never missing an attack, please stop playing the game so you don't continue to embarrass yourself"

Because bootstrapping yadda yadda yadda.

Really the problem is that once people 'git gud' at a game they forget when they first started out constantly loving up jumping over cliffs and start demanding everybody know the all the ins and outs of the game like they do from the second they pick up the controller.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

ReturnOfFable posted:

Fanbases suck for sure, but the Souls games are part of this extremely rewarding system of a game that punishes you for being cocky.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Playing Dark Souls solo can be hard sometimes but using summons liberally makes it really easy. If you are bad at Dark souls/games in general, summoning makes it much more manageable. Especially Dark Souls 2 since the summoning system is vastly improved and you can play almost the whole game with someone at your side (or scout new areas/bosses by being summoned yourself).

The Co-Op system in DS2 is really fun and you should try it.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I think the only decent critique video I've seen of Dark Souls 2 is this one by Matthewmatosis he has a good set of problems which I also share about the game. There are spoilers by the way if you haven't finished the game.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Genocyber, buddy, I don't think you're supposed to embrace the thing that your red-text custom title makes fun of you for.

quote:

I AM A LIVING MONUMENT TO EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THE DARK SOULS FANBASE. IT IS A MIRACLE ANYONE EVEN PLAYS THAT poo poo ANYMORE, THANKS TO PEOPLE LIKE ME.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Mr DJB posted:

Genocyber, buddy, I don't think you're supposed to embrace the thing that your red-text custom title makes fun of you for.

So that's what the Monumental is all about in Demon's Souls.

I apologize, by the way. I used Dark Souls 2 to respond to something more LP related, but it ended up causing that whole tangent. I'll just sum it up with this: It's a pretty neat, if sometimes hard and frustrating game, and I would recommend giving it a shot!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RSCNyx posted:

So that's what the Monumental is all about in Demon's Souls.

I apologize, by the way. I used Dark Souls 2 to respond to something more LP related, but it ended up causing that whole tangent. I'll just sum it up with this: It's a pretty neat, if sometimes hard and frustrating game, and I would recommend giving it a shot!

You didn't say that it was perfect, you filthy casual. How dare you?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Dark Souls is fun! Never ever, ever, ever, ever bring it up in front of people you don't already know because you may set off a bomb that will kill your sense of joy forever.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

:smith:

I-I just like the atmosphere, though...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lazyfire posted:

Dude's not talking about Shovel Knight though?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Dark Souls is fun! Never ever, ever, ever, ever bring it up in front of people you don't already know because you may set off a bomb that will kill your sense of joy forever.

Bring up what? Lost Izalith? Crystal Cave? Freaking Bed of Chaos. The uh... "hardcore*" fanbase?

*Everyone who's ever beaten the game at least once. Those who can't or don't want to do it just need to "git gud"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

IGgy IGsen posted:

Bring up what? Lost Izalith? Crystal Cave? Freaking Bed of Chaos. The uh... "hardcore*" fanbase?

*Everyone who's ever beaten the game at least once. Those who can't or don't want to do it just need to "git gud"

Bringing up Dark Souls at all will cause an insufferable interminable debate.

Such as right now.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

While we're on this Dark Souls tangent, does anyone know which of slowbeef's Dark Souls videos has the most deaths? Or at least point me to one with a frequent number of deaths.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Honest question: what's wrong with the Crystal Cave? It just seemed to be a relatively quick romp through some crabs to get to a boss fight. One that actually got me. I thought I was going off the beaten path and exploring, but nope, they played me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Honest question: what's wrong with the Crystal Cave? It just seemed to be a relatively quick romp through some crabs to get to a boss fight. One that actually got me. I thought I was going off the beaten path and exploring, but nope, they played me.

Invisible walkways kinda suck and combat against golems on narrow paths is a pain in the rear end? Also the one optional path there is a winding invisible walkway and that's no fun.

• Locked thread