Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo, Soldier Game on Hard is... yeah, pretty hard. The song that was on yesterday was a cakewalk by comparison. The 25 LP cost doesn't help either.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think my new standard for how hard a song is, is whether or not I have a general idea how of the entire note map matches the music after several tries.

I have not been able to do this for Soldier Game.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Yeah I take back the part about me not failing a song. This song is hella hard, I can't imagine what it would be on expert.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Another event already. They keep em coming pretty fast.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
^ Yeah but they're cool. Im really liking todays song.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Another SR, in any case. I've done kinda poo poo on pulls lately, but I haven't been saving gems, just using them as I get em.

Also, switched back to my tablet, transferred the better account. I was using both for a while, but I've started favoring the tablet, and can't keep up with two, especially during an event. I've got work and stuff.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Still can't complete Soldier Game hard, which is a shame since the daily songs are great for event badges as you can get 26 instead of 16 per song, saving a lot of time. Also found a vid of someone playing it on expert, and yeah, I can't see myself doing this on a tablet let alone the phone I'm using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angT6mcyQhI

From the looks of it I'll probably skip the expert songs altogether when they are introduced in the English version.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AG3 posted:

Still can't complete Soldier Game hard, which is a shame since the daily songs are great for event badges as you can get 26 instead of 16 per song, saving a lot of time. Also found a vid of someone playing it on expert, and yeah, I can't see myself doing this on a tablet let alone the phone I'm using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angT6mcyQhI

From the looks of it I'll probably skip the expert songs altogether when they are introduced in the English version.

Heh, I was watching that exact same video yesterday and staring in amazement. poo poo is bananas. Hard is pretty tough too, that bit in the middle always throws me. I can finish it and collect all the notebooks, but the best I'm managing is B rank and C combo.

But it's 27 per song, I think. It's 27 event points definitely, and I assume that corresponds to event badges as well. Either way, yeah, I've been mixing them in also. Way better rank XP too.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ah, right. The event score screen always goes black for me so I can never see how many points or badges I get.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
After having turned off card effect animations for so long to do daily hard mode songs and Love Novels, I decided to turn them back on on a whim and agh my eyes where did the notes go :supaburn:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

haha I may have to try that. I've had em off a while now also.

Also, I really like Kokuhaku Biyori Desu. It's a fun song to play. Easily my favorite of the daily songs so far, even though I always seem to hit a clam in some place or another and screw up my S combo by one.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ReidRansom posted:

Kokuhaku Biyori Desu

I don't know what the hell happened to me with this song. Its Hard Mode is relatively easy to read, but it took me quite a few more tries than some non-daily songs to full combo. I'm more on my toes in Bokura wa Ima no Naka de than in this :shrug:

edit: This is one of the songs from the next upcoming group of Daily Songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbu2ZG-Mv4
It may end up becoming my white whale. My thumb-operated trance mix white whale.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 11, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

If it didn't say hard right there, I'd have assumed that was expert. It does look tough.

And I full combo'd Kokuhaku Biyori Desu after a couple more tries. May be a few more before I can do it consistently, but first one is the important one.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Is there a game like this for android but without all the loving nonsense?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I don't know any games of just anime girls and no music, sorry.

e: You could try Cytus. I don't really know anything about it though.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 13, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

User ID: 144854131
Right now I'm at my max number of friends, though.

Love Novels on Hard is killing me. I just can't get that S rank.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Snow Halation posted:

User ID: 144854131
Right now I'm at my max number of friends, though.

Love Novels on Hard is killing me. I just can't get that S rank.

S on score or S on full combo? If you need another UR Smile stat friend idol for the song, my ID's in the second post of the thread, for that extra boost to score (and subsequent event points earned).

Otherwise with regards to consistent performance on that song, I'd actually recommend stepping down to Normal every once in a while just to practice getting the downbeats at the beginning of every lick down pat. After that, the rest is filling in the eighth notes with lots and lots of muscle memory.

The song unfortunately reads a bit fast on Hard but I think it's straightforward enough once players commit the locations of the notes to reflex. Yup. hope this helps :downs:

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

S on score or S on full combo? If you need another UR Smile stat friend idol for the song, my ID's in the second post of the thread, for that extra boost to score (and subsequent event points earned).

Otherwise with regards to consistent performance on that song, I'd actually recommend stepping down to Normal every once in a while just to practice getting the downbeats at the beginning of every lick down pat. After that, the rest is filling in the eighth notes with lots and lots of muscle memory.

The song unfortunately reads a bit fast on Hard but I think it's straightforward enough once players commit the locations of the notes to reflex. Yup. hope this helps :downs:

S full combo. S score is a piece of cake. My problem is I'm letting the hold notes up either too soon or too late. I think I'm just trying too hard, because I don't have this problem with other songs. During the last event, I finished just a couple places out of the top 1000, and I don't want that to happen again.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Soft Shell Crab posted:

You're gonna have to specify what you want? For a music game without the grinding there's Rhythm of Fighters, it's based on king of fighters. It's pretty good but king of fighters is Japanese although the game is in English. If you're only interested in the part where you touch a girl on her face and she says something to you there's My Dear Brother(Oniichan). For a card game with anime girls there's Valkerye Crusade, it's ok. another music game is Radiohammer, it's good.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Snow Halation posted:

S full combo. S score is a piece of cake. My problem is I'm letting the hold notes up either too soon or too late. I think I'm just trying too hard, because I don't have this problem with other songs. During the last event, I finished just a couple places out of the top 1000, and I don't want that to happen again.

S rank and combo is good for 233 points vs like 227 for A combo and on down to maybe like 210 for C combo or something like that. I guess it does all add up over time, but it's not a huge factor.

Myself, I took some time off work this past week and since I didn't go anywhere and only had so much other poo poo to do, I went a bit crazy and am currently somewhere around rank 140. Originally I planned just to get pretty far ahead and then coast to make sure I got a second card, but now I kind of do want the third. I don't think I've actually used any gems net though. I've refreshed my LP loads, but I guess I've been picking up gems at roughly the same rate.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

beaner69 posted:

You're gonna have to specify what you want? For a music game without the grinding there's Rhythm of Fighters, it's based on king of fighters. It's pretty good but king of fighters is Japanese although the game is in English. If you're only interested in the part where you touch a girl on her face and she says something to you there's My Dear Brother(Oniichan). For a card game with anime girls there's Valkerye Crusade, it's ok. another music game is Radiohammer, it's good.

i don't think by 'without the nonsense' he meant 'without the stuff besides the anime'

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Soft Shell Crab posted:

How about Kantai Collection, I hear military characters aren't into loving nonsense. Not like that crazy Touhou game, I can't make heads or tails of that

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

beaner69 posted:

For a music game without the grinding there's Rhythm of Fighters If you're only interested in the part where you touch a girl on her face and she says something to you there's My Dear Brother(Oniichan).
Yeah this.

beaner69 posted:

f you're only interested in the part where you touch a girl on her face and she says something to you there's My Dear Brother(Oniichan).
But not this :)

And thanks ReidRansom, Cytus looks great.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

How about Kantai Collection, I hear military characters aren't into loving nonsense.
No they are different kind of nonsense.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tried the first two expert songs. They're tough, but they're not that bad. Didn't full combo on first try, but I don't imagine it'll take all that long. Babby's first experts, basically.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

And thanks ReidRansom, Cytus looks great.

You're welcome :)

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I only had time to try the first one, took me two tries to complete it. It was surprisingly manageable, although that's because the only expert song I've seen before was the Youtube video of Soldier Game, and that was apparently very much in a league of its own (kind of like the hard version I guess).

I'm just happy that it was doable with one hand, since that means I can play with the phone at eye level instead of on the table with ensuing neck cramps.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The tempo of Yuujou No-Change EX is making it really hard to be consistent on those drum licks. I think I've close to ace-ing it only once out of 24 attempts. And that's with profuse use of Perfect Lock skills (3 of them).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The best I've managed with Yuujo No-Change EX is 9 Good with a max combo of 187, and that's with 3 Perfect Lock too. It's going to be a long time before that's a full combo.

I think what annoys me the most about failing songs is that more often than not I can learn to manage the hard parts but can't for the life of me stop making small timing mistakes on random easy/normal parts and end up breaking combos.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 19, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've gotten as low as 2 or 3 good on Yujo no Change and 1 good on Bokura no Live, but I'm having trouble with doing it consistently and definitely having trouble breaking through that. Natsuiro Egao de 1 2 Jump I've only tried once so far, but I failed.

Also bought a few gems since I was getting close to 50 so I could do another 11 pull, 3 more SRs, but still no UR :/

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Wow, Love Marginal has to be the easiest event song yet, and probably one of the easiest songs in general on Hard. The tempo is on the slower side for Hard and apart from the alternating left/right hold segments I still tend to mistime there's no tricky parts to the song at all.

*Edit*

Actually I'm not sure about the speed part. I've been mostly playing EX Natsuiro Egao de 1,2 Jump! today so I might have forgotten what regular Hard speed is like.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 21, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

AG3 posted:

Wow, Love Marginal has to be the easiest event song yet, and probably one of the easiest songs in general on Hard. The tempo is on the slower side for Hard and apart from the alternating left/right hold segments I still tend to mistime there's no tricky parts to the song at all.

*Edit*

Actually I'm not sure about the speed part. I've been mostly playing EX Natsuiro Egao de 1,2 Jump! today so I might have forgotten what regular Hard speed is like.

Love Marginal is definitely slow and easy for an event song. Nasuiro is just one of the easier/slower Hard song, too. It was the first one I Full Combo'd.

Here's my current Smile team:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Idolized UR :magical:

Now that I've overcome the Yuujou No-Change nightmare, I'm finding Natsuiro EX to be a lot more fun than the former song despite it being rated ten stars. Even the transition to the chorus that looks like a wall of rings flying at you is just a series of left-right alternating sixteenth notes.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

A bit of luck and quite a bit of cash. I had a bad episode of depression and went on a Loveca spending spree. Currently, I have 1 idolized UR, 3 non-idolized UR, 10 idolized SR, and 9 non-idolized SR. I've also got a full set of idolized R cards, so I'm using them for fodder now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Idolized UR :magical:

Now that I've overcome the Yuujou No-Change nightmare, I'm finding Natsuiro EX to be a lot more fun than the former song despite it being rated ten stars. Even the transition to the chorus that looks like a wall of rings flying at you is just a series of left-right alternating sixteenth notes.

I still can't do that wall properly (should try table + two hands I guess), but the rest of the song is manageable and while I doubt I'll ever Full Combo it I have no problems getting all the event hearts at least. It's also fairly fun and despite the rating way easier than Soldier Game on Hard and somewhat easier than Yuujo No-Change.

Also seeing that picture reminds me that I'm upset about not getting the second event Nico card because I dropped from ~700 to ~1100 in the last 8-10 hours of the event (which incidentally is when I sleep). I don't suppose they'll ever be possible to get with Friend points instead of Love gems. I have like 120.000 friend points now because spending it all seems like an enormous amount of busywork for no real gain since I don't really need the exp or money from the cards. Here's hoping it'll be good for something other than creating fodder someday (and padding the album, I guess).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's true, there really hasn't been much thought put into making non-gem currency useful outside of being gateway drugs to motivate more loveca spending. Once you've maxed out all the Ns and Rs there's no use for gold. After you pass a gem-spending threshold where Rs make way for SRs, Friend Points go down in value since there's no need to skill Rs up as well.

Snow Halation posted:

A bit of luck and quite a bit of cash. I had a bad episode of depression and went on a Loveca spending spree.

I will admit, I pulled a couple of 11-draws in the time since UR Umi was released in the hopes of getting that card. Perfect Lock skills are pretty hard to resist.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

AG3 posted:

Also seeing that picture reminds me that I'm upset about not getting the second event Nico card because I dropped from ~700 to ~1100 in the last 8-10 hours of the event (which incidentally is when I sleep).

I've learned not to go to sleep until the event ends (3am here on the West Coast.)

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Snow Halation posted:

I've learned not to go to sleep until the event ends (3am here on the West Coast.)

I'm in Europe and I'd probably get angry stares from my coworkers if I spent the first 2 hours of work tapping my phone :v: (then falling asleep at my desk afterwards).

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I've kind of given up on events. Timezones my only option would be to drop gems on stamina refills.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this is an even less ironic version of the senran kagura thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Phobophilia posted:

this is an even less ironic version of the senran kagura thread

I heard that series was legit fun, but never got into it because boobies are icky

• Locked thread