Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Either way ends the game. I don't think there're implications for NG+
Guh. I excepted more of an end cut scene, it went straight to credits so fast.

That last fight was great though. I'm a parry and duck and roll master now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

gently caress the Bed of Chaos. That's all.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

KoRMaK posted:

Guh. I excepted more of an end cut scene, it went straight to credits so fast.

That last fight was great though. I'm a parry and duck and roll master now.
The ending you got is the bad ending, don't worry though because the other one is also bad.
The world of Dark Souls is kinda hosed whatever you do. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zedd posted:

The ending you got is the bad ending, don't worry though because the other one is also bad.
The world of Dark Souls is kinda hosed whatever you do. :v:
I suppose one benefit for the incredibly vague storytelling is you don't get immediately slapped with a "Well, that was loving pointless" feeling when you finally beat Gwyn for the first time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Should I be concerned that every time I kill one of these forest-dwelling chucklefucks, an ominous sound plays? I paid 20,000 goddamned magic-dollars for this magic key and that should at least entitle me to a peaceful stroll through the forest without being harassed by shitlicks and magicians, right?

Also, it never ceases to amuse me when I stumble across a bloodstain, activate it, and watch somebody run around for 7-8 seconds. "They're not even fighting somebody, how are they going to die in the two remaining seconds?" And then in that last 1 or 2 seconds, you see them just leap over nothingness and vanish. This seems to be a shockingly common death for people visiting the moody, caged weaponsmith in New Londo Ruins. Probably because the place is dark as hell and those stairs definitely don't continue down into the void. That dude has probably killed more players than Queelag, given how often there are bloodstains out in front of his cage.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think that part of the forest has no level restrictions when it comes to invasions. So you can look forward to that plus the aggressive npcs plus the beefed up treeple.

The best fall bloodstains are the ones near Firelink and the ones near the bridge in Anor Londo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also, it never ceases to amuse me when I stumble across a bloodstain, activate it, and watch somebody run around for 7-8 seconds. "They're not even fighting somebody, how are they going to die in the two remaining seconds?" And then in that last 1 or 2 seconds, you see them just leap over nothingness and vanish. This seems to be a shockingly common death for people visiting the moody, caged weaponsmith in New Londo Ruins. Probably because the place is dark as hell and those stairs definitely don't continue down into the void. That dude has probably killed more players than Queelag, given how often there are bloodstains out in front of his cage.

My favourite bloodstain was in the first 5 minutes of me arriving at Firelink. I clicked the bloodstain and I saw someone around in a circle, get on top of one the walls, and then take a running leap off the wall and then slam dunk into the water well. I laughed for like a minute straight when I saw it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This seems to be a shockingly common death for people visiting the moody, caged weaponsmith in New Londo Ruins. Probably because the place is dark as hell and those stairs definitely don't continue down into the void.
It wouldn't suprise me if some genius put a "treasure ahead" or "try jumping" message there.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Should I be concerned that every time I kill one of these forest-dwelling chucklefucks, an ominous sound plays? I paid 20,000 goddamned magic-dollars for this magic key and that should at least entitle me to a peaceful stroll through the forest without being harassed by shitlicks and magicians, right?

Here's what you do. Aggro them so they follow you, then run back to the stairs to the door you came through, but instead of getting on them, run to the little patch of ground to the right, face the cliff, and put your shield out. The pathing on those AIs is hosed, and they'll run right up the stairs and try to slam you, and miss right into the void below.

If they still fall on the ground, you're in the wrong spot, so move around for the next guy, but it's still super easy to kick them off.

I did it by accident once, and it's a really easy way to soul farm.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
I recently got gifted a PC copy this and I'm having a devil of a time getting it to work after applying DSFix.
I installed the game through Steam and ran it first to turn off AA as the instructions advised. Copied the files and folders to the DATA subfolder and adjusted the .ini for my settings.
Now when I try to run it loads up a window and immediately goes to looking for a reason it crashed. :(

Does the game have an issue with Windows 8 by chance?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

NuminaXLT posted:

I recently got gifted a PC copy this and I'm having a devil of a time getting it to work after applying DSFix.
I installed the game through Steam and ran it first to turn off AA as the instructions advised. Copied the files and folders to the DATA subfolder and adjusted the .ini for my settings.
Now when I try to run it loads up a window and immediately goes to looking for a reason it crashed. :(

Does the game have an issue with Windows 8 by chance?

The GFWL client that its packaged with on Steam has an issue with Windows 8, I believe. You'll need to uninstall that and download a newer version.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For me he quite often killed me (it totally doesn't happen anymore guys, honest) because I press "B" one time too often when quitting his menus. Leading to a backstep.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

The GFWL client that its packaged with on Steam has an issue with Windows 8, I believe. You'll need to uninstall that and download a newer version.

Thanks I'll try that this evening!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Raygereio posted:

It wouldn't suprise me if some genius put a "treasure ahead" or "try jumping" message there.

I do this on every character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I laughed at this stupid thing far too much :)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

gently caress the Bed of Chaos. That's all.
That's what I said. Its easy though, get naked and run. It's one of those bosses. No armor needed, just fast running.

I got wrecked as an invader in the cat covenant by someone with hanzo steel that also laid down poison damage. They were really really fast. Felt like I was fighting an assassin in Batman.

Jerusalem posted:

What's the shooters armor? The guy walking in is basically dressed the same as my character.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I like the Smough in the hallway beyond the door. What's that peeking in on the right edge, though?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

That's what I said. Its easy though, get naked and run. It's one of those bosses. No armor needed, just fast running.

I got wrecked as an invader in the cat covenant by someone with hanzo steel that also laid down poison damage. They were really really fast. Felt like I was fighting an assassin in Batman.

What's the shooters armor? The guy walking in is basically dressed the same as my character.

It's Lautrec's set.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerusalem posted:

that's awesome. what's that from?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KoRMaK posted:

Lautrec. He's a douchebag :argh:

Vil posted:

I like the Smough in the hallway beyond the door. What's that peeking in on the right edge, though?

I actually didn't notice either Smough or the other guy at first, it makes the gif a little too busy sadly. I'm pretty sure the guy peeking through the window is Artorias.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Vil posted:

Artorias.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

It's the Favor set (Helm of Favor etc), you get it from completing Lautrec's side quest.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

Looks like it was made with Source Filmmaker.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just want to thank everyone who posts here for being sane.

Additionally, gently caress Gough.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Orv posted:

I just want to thank everyone who posts here for being sane.

Additionally, gently caress Gough.

Did something happen in another Dark Souls thread? Also are you talking about a poster named Gough or the npc Hawkeye Gough?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Did something happen in another Dark Souls thread? Also are you talking about a poster named Gough or the npc Hawkeye Gough?

Both Dark Souls 2 threads and the Bloodborne thread are basically unreadable 90% of the time. As for Gough I meant the character, went to get his armor and was just tired so I hosed up and got angry at myself for being dumb. Dark Souls.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Where did you come from? Where did you go? Where did you come from, Hawkeye Gough

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Where did you come from? Where did you go? Where did you come from, Hawkeye Gough

God drat it. :golfclap:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it ever explained why you get pulled into the past by douchebag dumbbossfight?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

double nine posted:

Is it ever explained why you get pulled into the past by douchebag dumbbossfight?
You got his pendant. He wants it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Okay so question for you all: I notice that a lot of armor pieces have some pretty curious stats. For example, the Crimson Waistcloth (the red magician costume bottom) has numerically superior defense stats to the Elite Knight leggings, with the exception of the fact that the Elite Knight leggings are more durable and have significantly higher "poise". It seems odd that a piece of lightweight cloth like the Crimson Sealers' outfit or the robes you find by Ceaseless Discharge are superior to heavy-rear end suits of armor, except when it comes to poise. Is poise really that important to justify the generally inferior protection and heavier weights? What do you all usually look for when choosing clothing/armor?

I am appreciating the fact that there is no real obvious linearity to the armor pieces (so far). Even within armor sets, it's pretty common to find individual pieces that are relatively better or worse, which mixes things up. Like, "this set's leggings and cuirass are really great, but I'd be better off replacing the gloves with something else." It's pretty lame when a game sort of brainlessly applies incrementally better stats to items, like Oblivion does, where everything in a given material is better than anything in an inferior material, regardless of what the item actually is.

EDIT: Also, can somebody give me a hint about dealing with the person who murdered my Fire Keeper? The Black Eye Orb has been greyed out the whole time I've had it, which makes me wonder if I need to do something (it mentions Anor Londo) before I can actually use it. I've actually taken it to the New Londo Ruins a few times and haven't had it light up, which makes me wonder if New Londo Ruins != Anor Londo...

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 24, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Okay so question for you all: I notice that a lot of armor pieces have some pretty curious stats. For example, the Crimson Waistcloth (the red magician costume bottom) has numerically superior defense stats to the Elite Knight leggings, with the exception of the fact that the Elite Knight leggings are more durable and have significantly higher "poise". It seems odd that a piece of lightweight cloth like the Crimson Sealers' outfit or the robes you find by Ceaseless Discharge are superior to heavy-rear end suits of armor, except when it comes to poise. Is poise really that important to justify the generally inferior protection and heavier weights? What do you all usually look for when choosing clothing/armor?

I am appreciating the fact that there is no real obvious linearity to the armor pieces (so far). Even within armor sets, it's pretty common to find individual pieces that are relatively better or worse, which mixes things up. Like, "this set's leggings and cuirass are really great, but I'd be better off replacing the gloves with something else." It's pretty lame when a game sort of brainlessly applies incrementally better stats to items, like Oblivion does, where everything in a given material is better than anything in an inferior material, regardless of what the item actually is.
why are you looking at the stats?
why aren't you just mixing and matching to look good?
Poise is to tank some hits, but you're better off just mixing and matching sets to look good and dodge enemy attacks all the time. If you want poise while looking good the Wolf Ring is an option.
Also go to Anor Londo, which isn't New Londo. Just keep progressing through the game, you're nearly there.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT: Also, can somebody give me a hint about dealing with the person who murdered my Fire Keeper? The Black Eye Orb has been greyed out the whole time I've had it, which makes me wonder if I need to do something (it mentions Anor Londo) before I can actually use it. I've actually taken it to the New Londo Ruins a few times and haven't had it light up, which makes me wonder if New Londo Ruins != Anor Londo...

It will be really obvious when you can use the orb, just keep progressing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poise is the single most important armor stat, yeah. Poise is what allows you to either power through attacks or to react and dodge away or raise your shield. Without it, you just get chain ganked. For defense, unless the difference is large, minor differences like the ones between Elite Knight and Crimson or Gold Hemmed leggings aren't substantial enough to really affect how many hits you can take before you die. The real benefit to Gold Hemmed set is the fire resistance. It's quite large and can mitigate a fair amount of fire damage. Use where appropriate.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is poise really that important to justify the generally inferior protection and heavier weights?

Poise honestly is worth it. Basically, if you take a hit, you have estus flasks. But in order to get to a position where you can use those flasks, you need to be in control of your character, and poise helps with that. If you have no poise but otherwise strong defense, you may find yourself stunlocked to death, even though your resilience against each of those hits is higher than it would be if the converse were true.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Poise is useful, but light-roll is even more useful. Better to avoid damage than ignore it. Dress to impress first, for light-roll second, and for poise third. I usually cruise through the game with the Wolf Ring and low-poise armor, and it's useful for tanking some lighter hits.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

double nine posted:

Manus is a cool boss though. :colbert:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double nine posted:

Sort of, but like most things it's guesswork inspired by item descriptions and a little bit of character dialog. Marvelous Chester has some of the most relevant stuff, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Mid roll will do just fine if you want to play sir Blocks Everything All Day. But I would have never beaten Gwyn in full on dodge/Parry mode without fast roll giving me those last few desperate I frames.

I'm sure plenty of people not me beat him fat rolling with their bare hands.

• Locked thread