Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

TheRagamuffin posted:

Spears seem to work well, too.

I used combustion :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I used combustion :buddy:

poo poo, that is a way better idea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hipster Occultist posted:

I don't feel like progressing through the game that far again, care to spoil it for me?

You enter Vendrick's memory of sitting there in the Undead Crypt and he tells you a bit about the throne of want, tells you about linking the fires, then says to collect the crowns in the three DLCs to prove your worth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Important question pertaining to that though: Can you attack/kill Vendrick's Memory Vendrick and cause a Metal Gear Solid 3 time paradox game over?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Did anyone else loot an item out of a chest shortly after a boss fight (Dark Greatsword after the trio) and have it not show up in their inventory? I mean I'm packratting real hard on this character, but I've looked 5 or 6 times.

Edit: wups, nevermind, found it. It's a hex. Dumb.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 23, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Check your magic tab. I bet you think it's a weapon, but it's actually a hex.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't played this in a while. What's this about a chest in Majula?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Andrast posted:

The chest in the basement of the mansion (where the skeleton is) has been changing it's contents every week leading up to the DLC release, now it's got a unique skinned weapon in there for who knows how long.

If it's already open when you approach it try warping somewhere else and then back to Majula and it should fix it as was suggested to me in this thread.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Actually, while I'm asking about spells, I'm having difficulty coming up with a PvE spell set I like since the patch. Right now, with 40 attunement and the +2 southern ritual band, I've got:
    For plinking:
  • 2 great heavy soul arrows

For invaders:
  • 1 homing crystal soulmass
  • 1 soul greatsword

For raw damage:
  • 2 crystal soul spears
  • 1 focus souls

For weapon buff:
  • Sunlight sword

And for ???:
  • Soul Appease

I'm thinking I can drop the homing crystal soulmass because I don't need two spell slots dedicated towards something that's a relatively rare occurrence. I could also swap out the crystal soul spears for great lightning spears? Soul appease is just sort of a wild card I could swap for anything. Any hot tips from the gaming pros? I've got 57 int and 50 faith so all types of magics are in my wheelhouse.

Crystal soul spear is way better than GLS now, don't drop it get more. Soul Appease only does slightly more damage than GLS now, is conditional and puts you more at risk, I'd drop that too. Use reguar soul spears if you don't have any more crystals, they're still better than lightning in the DLC for almost everything. I'm on NG+5 at the moment and I've found magic is better than lightning or dark for almost everything in the DLC now. If you insist on faith spells don't bother with emit force, it's slower than GLS but it does around the same as GLS but then everything in the DLC seems to have about 1000 poise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Andrast posted:

There's a chest under the mansion in Majula. Each week leading up to the DLC it contained some items; generally just materials or consumables, except for this week when it had a unique sword.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I feel like I'm missing something about the Elena fight. Literally all my attacks do scratch damage and while it does add up after awhile, it just takes so goddamn long.

I swear I saw one of my phantoms take off a big chunk of health at one point but I can't figure out how. Maybe it was just my brain playing tricks on me? :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Having not played in a while, are Flame Weapon and fire infusions still poo poo? I remember being disappointed a while back when Flame Weapon took a nerf for no real reason.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Important question pertaining to that though: Can you attack/kill Vendrick's Memory Vendrick and cause a Metal Gear Solid 3 time paradox game over?

He calls you foolish and you're booted from the memory. He takes no damage.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
This DLC was pretty fuckin' hard IMO and anybody who was disappointed with the main game's difficulty should pick it up.

Also invaders aren't allowed to attack the mechanisms in the first area because From doesn't want people undoing all the progress players made by just resetting all the platforms.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I digged it. I mean, I'm kind of butthurt that the bosses were kind of sort of rehashed in one way or another, and the first half's navigation confused the holy gently caress out of me, but it's quality stuff. Very reminiscent of Dark Souls 1, especially the DLC.

I was really worried about the emphasis all the press material put on those stupid poo poo-spitting statues, but thankfully, those weren't as problematic as the ones in Black Gulch.

What's up with the remix of Velstadt's boss fight theme being used in the trio fight, but then having him show up in a different fight instead?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

sector_corrector posted:

This isn't DLC chat (well, I don't think it is) but does anyone else think that the headless snakes on the basin statues (like the statue in the shrine of winter) are eternal serpents, like Frampt and Kaathe? That's one element from DS1 that hasn't been featured in 2, and it makes sense that their heads would be cut off.

I always assumed this was the case. I hope the serpents show up in the DLC at some point.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I like how open the dlc area is. For the first time in a while, I'm pretty much completely lost.

A question about one of the puzzles: How do you trigger the switch high up on the wall at the base of the stairs, near where you get the puzzle sword? I tried heavy bolts and iron arrows, but neither one seemed to work. Do I need a greatbow or something?

e:

sector_corrector posted:

This isn't DLC chat (well, I don't think it is) but does anyone else think that the headless snakes on the basin statues (like the statue in the shrine of winter) are eternal serpents, like Frampt and Kaathe? That's one element from DS1 that hasn't been featured in 2, and it makes sense that their heads would be cut off.

Ahahahahaha this would be a great twist. Not so eternal, after all!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

TheRagamuffin posted:

I like how open the dlc area is. For the first time in a while, I'm pretty much completely lost.

A question about one of the puzzles: How do you trigger the switch high up on the wall at the base of the stairs, near where you get the puzzle sword? I tried heavy bolts and iron arrows, but neither one seemed to work. Do I need a greatbow or something?

e:

Ahahahahaha this would be a great twist. Not so eternal, after all!

Fire arrows worked for me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Man, the bit before the trio fight... If one more host decides to try and fight through or attempts to kill one of those statue lizards I'm loving OUT.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Is the DLC out for ps3 in Australia? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
The dinobutts are back from Izaleth... only they have nice teeth and are hilarious and great and fun to fight. This DLC is awesome.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Season Pass probably worth buying then?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Artificer posted:

Season Pass probably worth buying then?

Probably, especially if you can get a deal on it. The first DLC has been fantastic, at least.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Probably, especially if you can get a deal on it. The first DLC has been fantastic, at least.

Nuuvem has a 10% deal on it. Thoughts?

And what of the Faith/Miracle PvP and PvE nerf? What is the general consensus on it? Should I switch out of Faith entirely or just switch my entire spell library to support spells like heals, barriers, and then like?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Artificer posted:

They're a legit store and there's no region lock. So go for it. Depending on where you are, you might get a slightly better deal if Green Man Gaming still has a -20% code for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

And what of the Faith/Miracle PvP and PvE nerf? What is the general consensus on it? Should I switch out of Faith entirely or just switch my entire spell library to support spells like heals, barriers, and then like?

Most enemies have some degree of lightning resistance now so it's not super over the top like it used to be. Have a backup plan and you'll be fine.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Artificer posted:

Green Man Gaming usually has a 20% off voucher you can find on google. At $20 for three of these DLCs I'd say the bang:buck is at least as good as Artorias.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Green Man Gaming usually has a 20% off voucher you can find on google. At $20 for three of these DLCs I'd say the bang:buck is at least as good as Artorias.

They are out of stock, I'm afraid. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Most enemies have some degree of lightning resistance now so it's not super over the top like it used to be. Have a backup plan and you'll be fine.

For real though, just don't use Lightning Spear. Faith is great for lightning infused weapons and support spells like Sunlight Blade and Sacred Oath (the DLC also adds a miracle called Denial, which seems to be Second Chance from Demon's Souls and thus amazing), but you will do such poo poo damage to so many enemies that the spears aren't worth it anymore. Supposedly Blinding Bolt is great now but you'd have to spice it down from its 65 faith requirement.

Motherfucker posted:

Man, the bit before the trio fight... If one more host decides to try and fight through or attempts to kill one of those statue lizards I'm loving OUT.

The statues are easy, just shoot them with a bow. I have noticed that the best method to go through the optional dungeon is to run past everything until the last room, but it's more fun to actually play through.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Why would you NOT fight through the secret dungeon? It's a massive cluster gently caress and fun as Hell.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Cowcaster posted:

Actually, while I'm asking about spells, I'm having difficulty coming up with a PvE spell set I like since the patch. Right now, with 40 attunement and the +2 southern ritual band, I've got:
    For plinking:
  • 2 great heavy soul arrows

For invaders:
  • 1 homing crystal soulmass
  • 1 soul greatsword

For raw damage:
  • 2 crystal soul spears
  • 1 focus souls

For weapon buff:
  • Sunlight sword

And for ???:
  • Soul Appease

I'm thinking I can drop the homing crystal soulmass because I don't need two spell slots dedicated towards something that's a relatively rare occurrence. I could also swap out the crystal soul spears for great lightning spears? Soul appease is just sort of a wild card I could swap for anything. Any hot tips from the gaming pros? I've got 57 int and 50 faith so all types of magics are in my wheelhouse.

What about using Soul Geyser for damage? I don't have it yet but I hear it murders bosses pretty quick. Scraps of life also works pretty well at knocking invaders on their rear end so you can set up other attacks and it is decent in PVE too. I've been really enjoying using dark orb for bread and butter casting. You get a lot of casts and it does more damage for me than great soul arrow. Keep at least 1 great heavy soul arrow (that's better than great soul arrow right?) for sniping though. Flame Swathe is a good damage dealer too if you have any interest in throwing some fire in there.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Flytrap posted:

Why would you NOT fight through the secret dungeon? It's a massive cluster gently caress and fun as Hell.
Because I can't find it. :(

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Nakar posted:

Because I can't find it. :(

Have you found the Sanctum Key? It's in the room with the three ghost bodies.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Just got invaded while doing my thing, still pretty sure everyone who uses hexes deserves to watch their pets get beaten to death with a clawhammer. I thought they nerfed magic?

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 23, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Flytrap posted:

Have you found the Sanctum Key? It's in the room with the three ghost bodies.
I have not. Where the hell are those anyway?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Just got invaded while doing my thing, still pretty sure everyone who uses hexes deserves to watch their pets get beaten to death with a clawhammer. I thought they nerfed magic?

Only in PVE.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Nakar posted:

Explore the main temple a bunch and shoot all the eyes you find. That's all I can say really.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nakar posted:

To get there the first time you gotta run down the hole in the floor in the long stone corridor you get the puzzle sword. Go right till you find a room full of pointy sticks and run right through, don't go forward but cross under the aqueduct with the caster on top, dodge the ghost (go onto the spikes if you have too, they hurt less) and than climb the ladder, if the caster dosn't hex you off it than you can heal and relax once you're at the top and shoot her. Across the aqueduct is a room with a button, a chest and a ghost as well as stairs and a way across the room and down, don't go up the stairs, just run right through and across the small bridge and down the stairs, you should enter a room with a bunch of red magic'd up corpses guarded by ghosts, bust all the corpses and if you can survive, either way once they're done all the ghostmans will now be pathetic mortals ready for the killing.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

They nerfed some magic. Others got buffed. Resonant Soul got added tracking and GRS had a damage buff off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
I don't care how much you helped me before, you are a loving rear end in a top hat Jester Thomas!

Curiously, he didn't spawn again after the 2nd time I got my rear end handed to me, so I just moved on with that feeling of not being enough of a threat for him to even come after me :(