Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

SwissCM posted:

Man that map was awesome. I'm not sure if it was a big mistake or a stroke of genius to put the best map from the game in the Demo, but I have some damned fond memories of playing that map.

Oh no, thats got to be intentional. I always felt that the "shareware" episode of most fps's was intended to give a good impression. It could have something to do with the fact i was poor as a kid so Nine Times out of Ten the shareware was all i got, but Blood's first episode.. Duke's, SW, Doom, UT... I'm sure the list goes on.

I mean, makes sense right? Give them a good first impression, imply more of the same but with more content if you buy the full product! :haw:

As for Unreal Torny, My gods i loved assault so much, so much! Has any other games in recent development come close to capturing how great that was or is a healthy shade of nostalgia tinting it for me?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
The thing I love most about AS-Hispeed is that with practice, you can beat it in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJyMrrM2GGw

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Thyrork posted:

Oh no, thats got to be intentional. I always felt that the "shareware" episode of most fps's was intended to give a good impression. It could have something to do with the fact i was poor as a kid so Nine Times out of Ten the shareware was all i got, but Blood's first episode.. Duke's, SW, Doom, UT... I'm sure the list goes on.

I mean, makes sense right? Give them a good first impression, imply more of the same but with more content if you buy the full product! :haw:

As for Unreal Torny, My gods i loved assault so much, so much! Has any other games in recent development come close to capturing how great that was or is a healthy shade of nostalgia tinting it for me?

Timesplitters 3 has a Assault gametype, and you can make custom ones in the map maker, although it'll require buddies or bots since the online service is long dead at this point. :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Zero Star posted:

The thing I love most about AS-Hispeed is that with practice, you can beat it in less than 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJyMrrM2GGw

To be fair, it was a bit of an issue on almost all the UT99 assault maps. I remember seeing some crazy tricks pulled to beat Overlord in a minute or so. UT2k4 fixed it because it forced you to do all the objectives in order.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxaBAxmeOS0 Looks like it was actually merely 15s, whoops.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 21, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Yeah, all of UT99's Assault maps are extremely easy to exploit with Impact Hammer or Instagib Rifle jumping. It's gotten to the point where the only way to play them properly is with bots because ethe attackers will boost each other like crazy as soon as the match starts, no matter if the map is official or custom (which most Assault groups play nowadays). It's pretty neat if you like trickjumping and want to use it practically, but it sucks if you want to play the maps like they were intended to.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

If the very mention of Brutal Doom upsets you, feel free to ignore this post.

So, in the wake of just about everyone at Quakecon confirming that the official Doom reboot looks a lot like BD, a big chunk of new footage of the upcoming build was released, also showing off the 'official' Brutal Doom map-pack, Recurring Nightmare. A lot of folks have been saying they wanted a campaign built around the gameplay changes, and I guess this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2J4Loe57g

Lots of new sprite-work, and some balance tweaks, it seems. The chaingun looks to have been toned down a little, firing a bit closer to its original rate. Zombiemen seem to be more aggressive, too. Combined with the map-pack, it's starting to look more like a remake than a straight mod.

No ETA on either yet, but a 'demo' of Recurring Nightmare is due out not long after the V20s release.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I don't get the appeal of Brutal Doom. Is it something you can only understand by playing it?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Brutal Doom is a mod which lays all its cards on the table face-up. If what you're seeing in videos/hearing discussed doesn't appeal to you, playing it isn't likely to change your mind.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Brackhar posted:

I don't get the appeal of Brutal Doom. Is it something you can only understand by playing it?

To me, the appeal is that it adds a little extra flair to Doom without changing the overall style. Naturally some people feel that it still changes too much (and to be fair, they do update it more than they probably should). But it sort of feels to me like what Doom 2 could've been if they had decided (and/or been able) to differentiate it more from the original. I don't mean that as a slight against Doom 2, really -- it's just an interesting alternative.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Brackhar posted:

It's a faster, twitchier, more responsive-feeling game in general. Weapons are deadlier and more flexible (altfires, faster animations, nothing is useless now), as are monsters (alternate attacks, occasional evasion), and the controls are geared to be a little more modern all round. Also harder in general, so as to make classic Doom 1 maps more challenging, as they're pretty tame by modern standards.

While some will disagree, I think it's a decent extrapolation of what would happen if you applied most of Doom's core concepts - fast movement as defense, non-regenerating resources, popcorn enemies - to a modern FPS. The gore is just icing on the cake, really. It's pretty satisfying to go on a rocket rampage, and once the smoke clears, you find most of your enemies dripping off the walls and ceilings.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 21, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

For me personally, Brutal Doom is a novelty that soon gets old. I will try the map-pack to see how it plays, though. It's like I know there are some fun ideas and perhaps it's cool but I just find myself not giving a poo poo.

What I'm saying is it's probably me. I'm probably getting too old to enjoy nice things anymore and will continue to drive my '69 Buick until I die on my front porch yelling at invisible birds.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Brutal Doom started off as a pretty fun mod that felt like "Doom: The Comic Book: The Game" and quickly degenerated into a shining example of why developers should never listen to fan input.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Brutal Doom is an indie FPS from a parallel universe where iD Software didn't form until sometime after Modern Warfare 2 was released.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Brutal Doom started off as a pretty fun mod that felt like "Doom: The Comic Book: The Game" and quickly degenerated into a shining example of why developers should never listen to fan input.

Right. Flynn Taggart stopped taking his pills and this is what happens.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Kazvall posted:

For me personally, Brutal Doom is a novelty that soon gets old.

Like the Soldier of Fortune series?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm not completely familiar with the development of Brutal Doom, but I recall the fans were more of a voice of reason and actually made the guy take out some rather hosed-up content he added.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
All the new monster behaviors and faster monster movement make the game less fun to me, but I miss the kick and the rifle and the general visceral feel of it when I play without it (which is always except coop with my friend).

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Capilarean posted:

but I recall the fans were more of a voice of reason and actually made the guy take out some rather hosed-up content he added.

I assure you, it wasn't just the fans that had a hand in that.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I would really rather a game be themed around Russian Overkill where your own weapons are just as likely to get you killed as the enemies are. there's something incredibly amusing about that to me, but I also wish it had a few of it's own enemies on top of that absurdity. (slaughter wads easily make up for it though)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Malek posted:

Like the Soldier of Fortune series?

No way. SoF1 I can play all day.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wasn't there a fork of Brutal Doom that has all of the aesthetics and cool stuff about it but retains the original game balance?

I wish I could find that mod.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Are you referring to Sperglord Edition?

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37889&sid=2969ceaa95f64a15c7a816cb8ca959eb

The 12-year-old in me thinks it should have been subtitled Sperglord Mod instead.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'd much rather have the opposite. The monster and weapon behavior are the only reason I play Brutal Doom, I could care less about the gore.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

I'd much rather have the opposite. The monster and weapon behavior are the only reason I play Brutal Doom, I could care less about the gore.

So you care about the gore?

e: not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, just making a funny on 'could care less'

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 21, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Kazvall posted:

So you care about the gore?

e: not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, just making a funny on 'could care less'

You know, I wrote "couldn't care less," looked at it, thought "that's not the right way, is it?" and changed it so I wouldn't get made fun of

:smith:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It is literally my only pet peeve and for that I am sorry. Okay, that and irregardless.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Kazvall posted:

It is literally my only pet peeve and for that I am sorry. Okay, that and irregardless.

As opposed to figuratively? Metaphorically? Illustratively? Allegorically?

e: :smuggo:

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 21, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

As opposed to figuratively? Metaphorically? Illustratively? Allegorically?

e: :smuggo:

Thank you for getting the joke. Also, allegorically.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kazvall posted:

don't be that guy. everyone knew what he actually meant.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sestze posted:

don't be that guy. everyone knew what he actually meant.

I am truly sorry and could not help myself. I have a problem and it's not okay.

E: For some content here. Our classic games and mods steam group is going strong. We're going to be doing more events soon, such as serious sam second encounter this friday.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men/members

Join up, if you guys would like to play anything in particular, let me know and I'll set something up!

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 22, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TerminusEst13 posted:

I assure you, it wasn't just the fans that had a hand in that.

Senators? The NSA? Who are we talking about here? Just how deep does this rabbit hole go?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Senators? The NSA? Who are we talking about here? Just how deep does this rabbit hole go?

IIRC, some of the people that helped develop Brutal Doom, like Chinese Tony Danza, said they'd no longer help if the real gore pack was released. It turns out that having people help you was way more important than living out your violent fantasies. Who know?

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Colon Semicolon posted:

I would really rather a game be themed around Russian Overkill where your own weapons are just as likely to get you killed as the enemies are. there's something incredibly amusing about that to me, but I also wish it had a few of it's own enemies on top of that absurdity. (slaughter wads easily make up for it though)

They're third-person shooters, but Earth Defense Force 2017/2025 are totally what you're asking for here.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

rodney mullenkamp posted:

They're third-person shooters, but Earth Defense Force 2017/2025 are totally what you're asking for here.

I played them, and they're cool and all, but honestly it's not the same since the weapons aren't nearly as goofy!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Play Blood, enter in the code for infinite ammo, use nothing but the napalm launcher's alt-fire and try not to die.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone know how I can get Malice working on my Steam copy of Quake?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Anyone know how I can get Malice working on my Steam copy of Quake?
Move the Malice data folder into your Steam Quake directory. Right click Quake in your Steam library, go to Properties, then click Set Launch Options. Type in "-game malice" (without the quotes).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Move the Malice data folder into your Steam Quake directory. Right click Quake in your Steam library, go to Properties, then click Set Launch Options. Type in "-game malice" (without the quotes).

I'm pretty much in love with you. :allears:

Second question. Last question. Can I use Malice's weaponry in the original Quake levels?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm pretty much in love with you. :allears:

Second question. Last question. Can I use Malice's weaponry in the original Quake levels?
Yes, technically. It's not perfect. Malice's opening map has the same filename as Quake's, so as long as Malice's data is loaded you can't play Quake's opening hub map.* The rest of the maps have different filenames, so you can load them through the "map" console command (i.e. map e1m1). You'll be playing as Damage, and all of the items and enemies will be replaced by their Malice equivalent. However, Malice uses a different palette than Quake, so the level textures will look weird, and what some things end up being replaced by can get rather odd.

*All of Malice's maps, and nothing else, are contained within PAK3.PAK. If you move that file, you can play Quake's start map in Malice, but entering one of the episode teleporters will play the Malice opening cutscenes, after which it will attempt and fail to open Malice's first level. So, not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thank you, my friend. You are the best.