Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
And of course I have it on the PS3. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'm doing Citadel right now, and for some odd reason I can't invite people up to the apartment. I know how to do it, I invited up EDI and had the memorial for Thane. But they were the only options. Now that option on my computer is greyed out.

For example, I wanted to invite up James. I got an email from him, so I went to go see him in the Citadel, receiving a tattoo on his back. I am sure you are supposed to be able to have him over, because I have seen it before. But I can't. What gives?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Raygereio posted:

If you're on the PC you can unlock it with an edit to Coalesced.bin. This file is located under \BIOGame\CookedPCConsole. Open it with ME3 Coalesced Utility and go to:
biogame.ini/sfxgame/sfxplayercustomization/casualappearances
The hoodie should be the 7th entry from the top. Set the Plotflag to -1. Save and you're done. It'll be unlocked the next time you load your save.

Make sure to keep a backup of Coalesced.bin. If you're going to do any multiplayer, restore the original file first. An edit like this that only affects the singleplayer ought to be fine and I'm pretty sure there haven't been any bans for ME3 modding, but it's probably better to play it save.

I've played ME3 multiplayer since launch with a modded coalesced (gotta have all the crazy outfit options!) and I've never had a problem. Unless you are blatantly hacking in multiplayer and someone reports you they don't give a poo poo.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I didn't recommend doing Kasumi's mission 1st because of its sugoi anime action, I recommended it because the Locust loving rules and the other two SMGs are complete poo poo. It's a means to an end. Get a sweet gun and a boatload of creds out of the starting gate (and a biotic upgrade).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Another Person posted:

I'm doing Citadel right now, and for some odd reason I can't invite people up to the apartment. I know how to do it, I invited up EDI and had the memorial for Thane. But they were the only options. Now that option on my computer is greyed out.

For example, I wanted to invite up James. I got an email from him, so I went to go see him in the Citadel, receiving a tattoo on his back. I am sure you are supposed to be able to have him over, because I have seen it before. But I can't. What gives?

Have you finished the storyline?
You can't invite everyone up at once. You have to come and go and do things first. You can't do Jack till you go play a single round at Armax. So invite who you can, go out and do what there is to be done and repeat.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

speaking of Jack is there a downside to sending the Grissom students out to be "biotic artillery" instead of supports? I heard somewhere if you chose the front line option then all (or at least some) of the kids die and Jack gets super depressed but haven't gotten to that point with my "renegade" characters to prove if that's what happens or not.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Aces High posted:

speaking of Jack is there a downside to sending the Grissom students out to be "biotic artillery" instead of supports? I heard somewhere if you chose the front line option then all (or at least some) of the kids die and Jack gets super depressed but haven't gotten to that point with my "renegade" characters to prove if that's what happens or not.

It's just a change in her slide during the epilogue in EC, if I remember right. Just her standing over their gravemarkers.

:smith:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Another Person posted:

Do missions or rounds in the combat arena and the emails for things out in the boardwalk or in the apartment will refresh.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Aces High posted:

The only downside is that you get a tiny bit less war assets. If you use them as support, you get 50 assets and paragon points. By sending them into battle you get 75 assets and renegade points.

Jack becoming super depressed is a thing the extended cut adds to the epilogue sliders. If Jack wasn't your love interest, Kahlee Sanders survives and you send the students as support, you'll get a slide of Jack teaching her class. If Jack wasn't your love interest and you had the students fighting, you'll get a slide of Jack mourning at the students' graves.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Being space James Bond in the Kasumi DLC is awesome :colbert:

Also why do goons see anime in everything? Kasumi flipping over the place is just reglar sci-fi schlock dumbness, not a special import from Japan.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Isn't Kasumi Japanese or obsessed with Japanese culture? She's got a strange accent, anyway.

Edit: "Japanese girl with a penchant for kleptomania." And also that vvvvvv

Kameh fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 23, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Strategic Tea posted:

Also why do goons see anime in everything? Kasumi flipping over the place is just reglar sci-fi schlock dumbness, not a special import from Japan.

I actually like the Space James Bond part, it's the run afterwards that I don't like. In all honesty, I would have preferred more "spy" missions like that, as I would have thought Spectres were more anonymous. But then you are famous in an era of instant-galaxy-wide visual communication.

As to why I see wee-a-boo special import stuff, I can't imagine why I would think super-invisible-invincible-ninja-thief Kasumi Goto and her lover/rival/mentor Keiji Okuda might be Japan fan-wankery. :rolleyes: It's like ME1 on Noveria with officer Matsuo who uses Japanese honorifics despite the complete lack of any accent or any other use of Japanese. It's all PINKU! At least she's mostly ignoreable.

For what it's worth, I don't use the SMG on single player.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 23, 2014

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Don't forget about super space villain ninja extraordinaire Kai Leng, which I guess is more meant as some kind of chinese!?

I just tried to google him and googles auto-complete thing gave me "kai leng stupid". lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

My Q-Face posted:

I actually like the Space James Bond part, it's the run afterwards that I don't like. In all honesty, I would have preferred more "spy" missions like that, as I would have thought Spectres were more anonymous. But then you are famous in an era of instant-galaxy-wide visual communication.

Nothing in the games suggests spectres are anonymous. They hold a public ceremony when you get the job. They're celebrities, and a largely symbolic organisation (until they go off the rails).

Every race runs their own separate covert ops.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Police Automaton posted:

Don't forget about super space villain ninja extraordinaire Kai Leng, which I guess is more meant as some kind of chinese!?

I just tried to google him and googles auto-complete thing gave me "kai leng stupid". lol

I tried that and got "kai leng cereal". The Internet knows what's up with Kai Leng.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

sassassin posted:

Nothing in the games suggests spectres are anonymous. They hold a public ceremony when you get the job. They're celebrities, and a largely symbolic organisation (until they go off the rails).

Every race runs their own separate covert ops.

Well, aside from the connotations of the name and the top secret nature of the job, you're right, nothing does. Which is why the playing a secret agent part doesn't work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

My Q-Face posted:

Well, aside from the connotations of the name and the top secret nature of the job, you're right, nothing does. Which is why the playing a secret agent part doesn't work.

It's a universe where you tell someone your name, they type it into a search engine, and if it pops up 'Spectre' they have to let you in their high end research installation (but not outside because it's snowing).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

sassassin posted:

It's a universe where you tell someone your name, they type it into a search engine, and if it pops up 'Spectre' they have to let you in their high end research installation (but not outside because it's snowing).
Yeah I never understood why Shep just didn't shoot Anoleis in the face (or punch him out if you wanted Paragon). I'm a loving Spectre and the Council says I can do whatever I want, who exactly are they going to complain to?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Probably because in that game you can also not be a Spectre and they just didn't want to write it both ways.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah I never understood why Shep just didn't shoot Anoleis in the face (or punch him out if you wanted Paragon). I'm a loving Spectre and the Council says I can do whatever I want, who exactly are they going to complain to?

Noveria isn't in Citadel Space.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

rypakal posted:

Probably because in that game you can also not be a Spectre and they just didn't want to write it both ways.

Baroo? You can't go to Noveria without becoming a Spectre.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

rypakal posted:

Nope, you get made Spectre no matter what. In 2 you can tell them to go gently caress themselves but it doesn't affect anything anyway.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CaptainCarrot posted:

Baroo? You can't go to Noveria without becoming a Spectre.

I think he might be confusing Anoleis for someone from ME2.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Strategic Tea posted:

They see anime in everything because they cannot realize that anime is completely derivative of western culture. But due to its whacky as gently caress and mostly poorly animated nature they don't realize it.

oh it's because her name sounds japanese.

On an actually relevant note, is it just me or is ME1 the best of the franchise? I started up ME2 and I was immediately reminded why I put it down in the first place. There is zero sense of that grand epic feel the first game had. There's no exploration to speak of. People keep on saying the game has been streamlined... but what the hell does that mean? They did away with inventory, large environments, an actual sense you're an intrepid explorer. Most of all though it felt like an RPG.

ME2 is more like a very tightly linear game with the facade of epicness that ME1 had. ME1 felt completely open and free while ME2 is like a third person shooter trying to be mass effect. Mass Effect 2 is open in... well it's not at all. You simply get to pick which missions you do before others, that's it. So it's basically like what naysayers of grand theft auto call it (even though they're wrong because the wide open environments afford plenty of options during missions). The wide open world is just a means to get from point A to point B to do an X-Y-Z fetch quest or something. Except the giant city you're normally placed in doesn't exist in ME2... It didn't in ME1, granted, but at least it had a giant universe you could actually explore.

Also since when does loot automatically sort itself? I'm probably just crazy. I loved sifting through the inventory and I loving LOVED the mako. The cutomization options... There's so much god drat depth missing from ME2 it pisses me off. Instead of fixing what was broken they just decide to take everything out. I'd rather have a messy kitchen sink than a barebones sack of skin. That should be a general rule if you want to call your game an RPG, which is not what I consider ME2 to be.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 23, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I finished a Paragon playthrough and now I'm back to ME2 as a Renegade. Having slogged through ME1 again I realize I like it the least of the 3. gently caress the citadel's slow goddamn elevators, it's the future! Make the elevators generate a mass effect field to I can go from C-Sec to the Normandy in a split second. The Mako exploration seemed cool at first until every planet became "drive up an 80 degree incline for the 100th goddamn time to scan some rocks and then you can enter 1 of 3 completely generic buildings and maneuver around a bunch of crates and shoot some dumb husks good job Shep you saved the galaxy."

Every single one of those side missions involved you going up to some dumb shack in the galactic backwater for a mindless repetitive task or playing jumprope with a thresher maw. The only interesting one I've encountered was a mission where you had to hook up the Mako to a generator to power some turrets while you help a bunch of Alliance Marines fight off a rachni swarm. Why couldn't there be more missions like that?

It wasn't all bad though, because the skybox was unique for each one, and a nice little detail I saw was some planet's description about how its version of the grand canyon was some glancing blow from a shot fired millennia ago. When you visit that planet's moon and look up, lo and behold that planet has a giant scar of a canyon going straight across it.

ME2 isn't perfect, but I liked not having to clean out my inventory each time a crate spits out 5+ different items. But I agree, they poo poo the bed with the weapon system, I really disliked that each weapon category had like 2 weapons to pick from unless you got DLC.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Recently playing through the series, I think the thing I disliked the most about ME2 was how so much of the challenge stems from squadmates doing the dumbest things. In ME1, I completely ignored them, they seem to be mostly okay in ME3, but in ME2 I constantly saw them be complete idiots.

In ME2, what is up with that one side mission with the geth and the dusty air that obscures your vision? Does the dust make the squadmate AI think there's always covered, because they seemed to do nothing but run to the middle of the battlefield and get killed.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 23, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I tried to watch Blade Runner the other day but there was too much kawaii anime bullshit shoehorned in.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

NeoSeeker posted:

oh it's because her name sounds japanese.

Oh it just SOUNDS Japanese, okay, My Bad!

sitchelin posted:

I finished a Paragon playthrough and now I'm back to ME2 as a Renegade. Having slogged through ME1 again I realize I like it the least of the 3. gently caress the citadel's slow goddamn elevators, it's the future! Make the elevators generate a mass effect field to I can go from C-Sec to the Normandy in a split second.

You know there was fast travel on the Citadel right? Riding the elevators and hearing the dialogue or the news reports was a clever way to "load" the next section without a five minute load screen, but it was optional. Long rear end load screens were one of the worst things about ME2.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 23, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well, I know for me that the fast-travel taxi load screens were much faster than the elevators. I assumed that's because even though the next section was done loading, the game waited until the conversation or news broadcast was done. And there was no taxi to/from the Normandy's dock. I didn't hate the news broadcasts at first, but they do quickly become repetitive. Having a taxi on the dock would've gone a long way to fix the problem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME1 is a very bad video game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Oh it just SOUNDS Japanese, okay, My Bad!

You know there was fast travel on the Citadel right? Riding the elevators and hearing the dialogue or the news reports was a clever way to "load" the next section without a five minute load screen, but it was optional. Long rear end load screens were one of the worst things about ME2.

I'm talking about one very specific elevator. You can't fast travel to the normandy in ME1, you have to take the stupid elevator.

ME2's load times are horsehit too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME2's problem on PC was that there was a dumb bug where the game wouldn't load unless the loading animation played fully at least once. I think I can recreate the entire wireframe Normandy animation from scratch at this point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ME2's problem on PC was that there was a dumb bug where the game wouldn't load unless the loading animation played fully at least once. I think I can recreate the entire wireframe Normandy animation from scratch at this point.

Someone at some point released some config file that fixed this and the loading times after overwriting the file ME2 used were basically near-instant. A few seconds at most.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ME1 is a very bad video game.

actually it's a very good one

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JawKnee posted:

actually it's a very good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6VyviNjsjA

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Someone at some point released some config file that fixed this and the loading times after overwriting the file ME2 used were basically near-instant. A few seconds at most.

Yeah, I remember downloading that.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
^^ Would love a link to this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RadicalR posted:

^^ Would love a link to this.

The only working download link I could find was in this GameFAQ's forum post which also explains the process: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944906-mass-effect-2/66956031

GameFAQs so use at your own risk but it does seem to be exactly what I did before. Just remember to make file back-ups before you overwrite anything and its probably fine.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Veotax posted:

I think he might be confusing Anoleis for someone from ME2.

I thought we were talking about Kasumi-san. My mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loaded up Origins today and it automatically downloaded the Collectors Weapons/Armor Set DLC for Mass Effect 2. I vaguely thought I might have already had these but I haven't played ME2 in so long that I don't recall - but it was a nice thing regardless and I assume is global for all owners of the game?

• Locked thread