Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I decided to watch a Serie A match last season and it was some really loving bad match involving Milan. Thats my Serie A watching story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gigi Galli posted:

Football-Italia.net

A thousand times better than the drivel that espnfc shits out as well. They're still prone to oversimplifications but ta the best English language site I know of.

Thanks!!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Also, you can follow James Horncastle on twitter for your Italian news. He will answer your questions too, he's a nice man. With nice hair.

Vexin
Jan 13, 2014

I've hooked a lot of my students on Serie A by talking up the intensity of the rivalries/traditions/history/personalities. The idea that some modern Italian rivalries have even the slightest debt to centuries-old animosities between cities is absolutely mind-blowing to them.

Anyway--I'm still going through some photos of a couple of "real" stadiums, but here's a couple of photos of the Campo Calcio Sant'Alvise in Venice. The pitch itself was all locked up, but there were some lads playing a match in the actual Campo San Alvise. All I can say is that it's a wonder that Italy doesn't get more Venetian goalkeepers because those dirty canals provide a hell of an incentive not to gently caress up.

The wall that surrounds the pitch is enormous. I wish I could have gotten a closer shot, but I wasn't going to pay a water taxi 100+ euros for the privilege.

(calcio) School's out for summer, apparently.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

You should post some of the history stories if you want if there's any cool details outside of the basics.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Gigi Galli posted:

Football-Italia.net

A thousand times better than the drivel that espnfc shits out as well. They're still prone to oversimplifications but ta the best English language site I know of.
It is but you have to use adblocker for it to not keep auto playing their stupid video's on the side.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Jose posted:

I decided to watch a Serie A match last season and it was some really loving bad match involving Milan. Thats my Serie A watching story
It was probably higher quality than Newcastle though.

Vexin
Jan 13, 2014

straight up brolic posted:

You should post some of the history stories if you want if there's any cool details outside of the basics.

In Siena-Fiorentina matches Siena fans sometimes reference to the Battle of Montaperti (or the year 1260 or the Ghibelline faction), in which "they"--really a coalition of Sienese, Florentine exiles, and mercenaries--defeated the Florentines with the help of a little treachery and with a Florentine exile (Farinata degli Uberti) as one of their leaders. At the time the Florentines were so incensed that they flattened the buildings of the Uberti. This decision partially led to the unusual shape of the Piazza della Signoria and the unconventional placement of what we now call the Palazzo Vecchio. Dante must have felt that this mere earthly punishment wasn't enough, for in the Inferno we encounter the traitor in the Ninth Circle and Farinata--who was posthumously convicted of heresy--in the Sixth Circle. The whole "being the heart of the Renaissance" thing means that the Florentines aren't all that bothered by the fact that they lost a battle to the Sienese in the XIIIth century, but the Sienese, whose best-laid plans were undone by the Black Death in the 1340s, don't like to let anyone forget that there was that one time when they beat the Florentines good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Vexin posted:

I've hooked a lot of my students on Serie A by talking up the intensity of the rivalries/traditions/history/personalities. The idea that some modern Italian rivalries have even the slightest debt to centuries-old animosities between cities is absolutely mind-blowing to them.

Anyway--I'm still going through some photos of a couple of "real" stadiums, but here's a couple of photos of the Campo Calcio Sant'Alvise in Venice. The pitch itself was all locked up, but there were some lads playing a match in the actual Campo San Alvise. All I can say is that it's a wonder that Italy doesn't get more Venetian goalkeepers because those dirty canals provide a hell of an incentive not to gently caress up.

The wall that surrounds the pitch is enormous. I wish I could have gotten a closer shot, but I wasn't going to pay a water taxi 100+ euros for the privilege.

(calcio) School's out for summer, apparently.

I love this stadium because you have to take a boat to get to it! I think I posted a very similar picture to the first one the last time I was there.

Also thanks for the history lesson :D

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Vexin posted:

In Siena-Fiorentina matches Siena fans sometimes reference to the Battle of Montaperti (or the year 1260 or the Ghibelline faction), in which "they"--really a coalition of Sienese, Florentine exiles, and mercenaries--defeated the Florentines with the help of a little treachery and with a Florentine exile (Farinata degli Uberti) as one of their leaders. At the time the Florentines were so incensed that they flattened the buildings of the Uberti. This decision partially led to the unusual shape of the Piazza della Signoria and the unconventional placement of what we now call the Palazzo Vecchio. Dante must have felt that this mere earthly punishment wasn't enough, for in the Inferno we encounter the traitor in the Ninth Circle and Farinata--who was posthumously convicted of heresy--in the Sixth Circle. The whole "being the heart of the Renaissance" thing means that the Florentines aren't all that bothered by the fact that they lost a battle to the Sienese in the XIIIth century, but the Sienese, whose best-laid plans were undone by the Black Death in the 1340s, don't like to let anyone forget that there was that one time when they beat the Florentines good.

This is great, please post more if you have them

Vexin
Jan 13, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

I love this stadium because you have to take a boat to get to it! I think I posted a very similar picture to the first one the last time I was there.

Also thanks for the history lesson :D

I think the Venetian stadiums are the only ones in Italy where one must take a boat to reach them. I have some decent pictures of the Stadio Penzo and the canals that are right by it, and I'll post them along with some of the pictures I have of the Sienese Franchi once I can look at the latter without feeling super depressed, though now that it's 100% confirmed that Siena will be in Serie D next year and nothing worse (you were right about that one), maybe it's time.

If I can find my copy of Otto of Freising I can do "The Medieval Origins of the Atalanta Tank Incident" for my next history lesson. ;)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vexin posted:

This is awesome.

I really like how Florence still does that brutal football every year too.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Gazzetta dello Sport reporting tomorrow Conte to PSG.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

calcio posted:

Gazzetta dello Sport reporting tomorrow Conte to PSG.

That sounds about right.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

That sounds about right.

Suddenly it all makes $€N$€

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Suddenly it all makes $€N$€

more like ₡Q₪₮£ amirite?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

trem_two posted:

more like ₡Q₪₮£ amirite?
lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

more like ₡Q₪₮£ amirite?

Someone should be named this

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Someone should be named this

Tempted to buy it for myself and change my av to Conte_crying.jpg

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The two sports papers that matter are both saying that Inter is going to announce that they've signed Medel for €7.5 mil tomorrow.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Best match I watched last season was Fiorentina - Juventus 4-2.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Best match I watched last season was Fiorentina - Juventus 4-2.

Hmm, yes, disagreed, poo poo opinion, op

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I was hungover as hell and fell asleep some time after the second goal so as far as I'm concerned Juve won 2-0 that day.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Just you wait until canepazzo/soulex wake up

(admittedly that match was great, and I wish BeIN would stop with their whole vested interest of selling PSG to the world and re-air it as part of the runup to the new season)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

That match was easily the best and signified a lot. Id write a paragraph long rant on how youre wrong but you are a Merda fan so itll go over your head.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Soulex posted:

That match was easily the best and signified a lot. Id write a paragraph long rant on how youre wrong but you are a Merda fan so itll go over your head.

It signified that La Viola are a bunch of sissies who thought they'd get one good punch on the biggest guy in the yard in the hopes that everyone else would be afraid.

But really, enjoy the Europa League this year.

can't wait to knock you guys out of that again, too

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

It signified that La Viola are a bunch of sissies who thought they'd get one good punch on the biggest guy in the yard in the hopes that everyone else would be afraid.

But really, enjoy the Europa League this year.

can't wait to knock you guys out of that again, too

Last I checked we got 4 big punches on the big guy on the yard. Including a hattrick from someone who spent a year and change injured. At home. After you guys were assholes and celebrated like Batigol.

Noone was afraid of us, and that showed when you guys lost the plot from 2 nil up with a 16 minute hat trick.
Not to mention, Roma beat you guys in coppa Italia.

In addition, it took you tevez an awful long time to catch up to Rossi in goals scored. What did it take...2 months of him being out?

Its ok, enjoy your actual third star now that youve actually earned it. And the Champions league too. Ill be laughing when you go out in groups again. Even Napoli did better than you in a tougher group.

And of course, Id be bitter too if my coach left for greener pastures.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
Roma own & I hope they win the league again before Totti hangs it up.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I will not lower myself to talk to the gobbi so I'll just post this image from Atalanta's presentation this year. Remember the tank last year? This year it's a mig:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Troy Queef posted:

The two sports papers that matter are both saying that Inter is going to announce that they've signed Medel for €7.5 mil tomorrow.

2.5m per foot is pretty steep

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

canepazzo posted:

I will not lower myself to talk to the gobbi so I'll just post this image from Atalanta's presentation this year. Remember the tank last year? This year it's a mig:

Jesus christ. Whats next? A loving Battleship?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
That image doesn't even begin to describe how campy and messy was the whole thing. This is better:

A banner said "Bombardiamo la serie A", which translates to "Let's bomb Serie A". For those that don't know, the current president Percassi used to play for Atalanta in his youth.

Edit: oh, no battleship next year. Bergamo is in the mountains.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
It'll be a space ship.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Cippalippus posted:

That image doesn't even begin to describe how campy and messy was the whole thing. This is better:

A banner said "Bombardiamo la serie A", which translates to "Let's bomb Serie A". For those that don't know, the current president Percassi used to play for Atalanta in his youth.

<<<

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Cippalippus posted:

Edit: oh, no battleship next year. Bergamo is in the mountains.

canepazzo posted:

Never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to like Atalanta.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been plastic'ing Sampdoria since Siniša Mihajlovic played for them. Because he was cool and kicked the ball real hard. So I hope they do well this season.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

MrBling posted:

I've been plastic'ing Sampdoria since Siniša Mihajlovic played for them. Because he was cool and kicked the ball real hard. So I hope they do well this season.

Well now he's managing them and kicking the players directly. Good choice! Plus they seem to be getting Osvaldo soon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tevez told Juve that he'd leave the club if they hired Mancini

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Gigi Galli posted:

Never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to like Atalanta.

Do any Atlanta based MCs like Goodie Mob, BOB, Future, or hell, Soulja Boy rep Atalanta? I feel like there are some good crossover moves here, especially if they are going to present players in real life mid-late 90s rap video form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Do any Atlanta based MCs like Goodie Mob, BOB, Future, or hell, Soulja Boy rep Atalanta? I feel like there are some good crossover moves here, especially if they are going to present players in real life mid-late 90s rap video form.

No, but give it time. A local brew pub just named one of its beers Atalanta. Word is spreading, and all of this weed smoke and weapons can only help.

• Locked thread