Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oishii
Aug 13, 2006
hat

LogisticEarth posted:

I've got a question about finicky eating. We have a 8 year old male cat. For years we have fed him Innova EVO Chicken & Turkey, dry food in the morning, and wet food at night. In the last 2-3 days our cat has been really finicky when eating. I'm aware that this is often a sign of illness, however, we had just taken him in for a checkup a week and a half ago, everything came out clear, and he seems otherwise normal. Additionally, he still goes crazy every time we open up a can of tuna, and I did pick up a can of tuna Friskies at the pharmacy down the street to see if he'd eat it and he wolfed that down with no problem. He'll still sort of poke at the EVO but not eat much of it. He's also drinking water normally and urinating. Bowl movements have slowed down with his eating but he's still passing.

My cats were also pretty finicky about eating the EVO (but loved crappy tuna food), so now I just mix up a small can of the cheap tuna stuff with their EVO and they lick their bowls clean every time; maybe try that for a bit and see if he'll eat? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My (new) cat ran away. I'm an emotional mess. I live in a third floor apartment so I'm sure he'll never find his way back. He was purring and always jumping in my lap, face rubbing my face, and being so affectionate. Why did he run away? I've been stalking my apartment parking lot for two nights now looking for him. I'm heartbroken. He has a collar with a nametag with my phone number on it. Be honest, Goons. Will I ever see him again?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xibanya posted:

My (new) cat ran away. I'm an emotional mess. I live in a third floor apartment so I'm sure he'll never find his way back. He was purring and always jumping in my lap, face rubbing my face, and being so affectionate. Why did he run away? I've been stalking my apartment parking lot for two nights now looking for him. I'm heartbroken. He has a collar with a nametag with my phone number on it. Be honest, Goons. Will I ever see him again?

It's possible, it might be difficult for him to remember how to get back to the third floor, but start leaving food in front of your door. It's only been a couple of nights and someone can still find him. When you get him, get the kitty chipped. Start checking your local shelters and place signs.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Lemony Fresh posted:

I don't know if I should ask this here or in the pet nutrition thread, but it does have more to do with cats.

I recently got a new kitten and took him to the a new vet since it was a free first visit. I mentioned that I would be switching him to Blue Buffalo kitten food, off of the Purina Pro Plan that he was on at the shelter. The vet told me he doesn't like Blue Buffalo because it has too much protein and he's seen many cats come in with kidney failure from the high protein diet. He suggested Royal Canin or Eukanuba. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I've always heard that Blue Buffalo is the best for cats, due to the higher protein diet which is what they should be eating.

Although you technically could be on a diet too high in protein, you're very likely to never come across a commercial diet that would be anywhere near that.

I haven't seen any good evidence that high protein diets lead to kidney dysfunction. My theory for some people thinking that is that if you have two cats developing chronic kidney disease at the same rate (as cats quite frequently get kidney disease) the one on the high protein diet will become clinical for the kidney disease first because of the higher protein providing the building blocks of the things that make cats feel crummy with kidney disease - the lower protein diet will "cover up" the kidney disease until later. So, it "looks" like cats on higher protein diets get kidney disease sooner, but really they're just clinical sooner.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Xibanya posted:

Why did he run away?
Cats, man. You have to take care with windows and doors(both leaving home and coming back home) until you figure out whether they're runners or not.

Turtlicious's advice is good; leave food out first floor and hope he comes back when he decides trying to find food sucks.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So, my cat usually goes to the bathroom at least once a day. Yesterday morning (or late Saturday night) she clearly did, but it looks like yesterday and last night she didn't at all, since there was nothing to clean out when I went to scoop the litter box this morning. She did spend most of the day sleeping yesterday and didn't really eat much until this morning, but how soon until I need to start freaking out and burning my time off to take her in to the vet? I was thinking I'd see if there was evidence after I got home from work today. If I don't find anything then, should I make an emergency vet appointment or something? I've done too much reading up on this and now I'm terrified she's going to give herself kidney failure.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I have a quick question - I adopted a male kitten last week to add to the family (two other full grown female cats and a female dog who thinks she is a cat and prefers the company of cats to dogs any day). We've been keeping him in the spare room when we aren't home, the shelter estimates he is about 4 months old, but he's super sweet like male cats are and isn't terribly out of hand for a kitten.

He's been totally normal but mid way through the week I put a blanket in the spare room that we were using since I thought maybe he'd like something in there that smelled like myself and the girlfriend. I'm not sure when, but he pissed on the blanket (and a bit on the couch below it as well). We honestly did not smell it and had no idea until the other cats were smelling it and doing their silly mouth open smell thing.

He hasn't had any other issues and uses the litter box regularly. Is this something I should be worried about, or was it just a stupid kitten fluke? He's going to the vet for his checkup Wednesday, but I just hope it was a one off kind of deal. He is neutered, for what it's worth. I just don't want him to be a sprayer - my mother took in two older male cats and got them fixed, but they started spraying inside her house.

Cat piss sucks, I don't want that poo poo outside of the litter boxes (of which there are 3 currently).

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Look what came out of my cat's nipple!

Yaaay!

I pulled this off my male cat's front right nipple. He exhibited no signs of pain. It's sort of squishy yet rigid, like a massive booger or scab might be. It was attached on the right side.

He is 4 yrs old, male, neutered, indoor cat. Due to a flea problem several weeks ago I started him on Frontline medication.

The area it came from:

Full album, more pics

So what the gently caress?

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

JayJay posted:

Oh my gosh, I wanna see this kitten all healthy and adorable in a few days. :pray:

Have a picture of it cleaner and healthier than it was a few days ago.

she's doing a lot better than before but it'll be a few weeks at least before she'll be walking right.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dr. Derek posted:

she's doing a lot better than before but it'll be a few weeks at least before she'll be walking right.

Poor little girl, glad she seems to be doing better.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Xibanya posted:

My cat disappeared today, and I think she got out when my roommate went out without noticing. I've torn the whole house apart and can't find her, and she always -always- comes when I call her. I've had her for more than a decade and i'm basically about 10 seconds from blubbering like a little kid. If your cat had a nametag, at least if he gets picked up they'll know to call you. I wish I had done that, but my cat has never shown the least interest in going outside, so no collar.

What's driving me insane is not that she got out, but that she might be inside but trapped somewhere I can't figure out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gawain The Blind posted:

My cat disappeared today, and I think she got out when my roommate went out without noticing. I've torn the whole house apart and can't find her, and she always -always- comes when I call her. I've had her for more than a decade and i'm basically about 10 seconds from blubbering like a little kid. If your cat had a nametag, at least if he gets picked up they'll know to call you. I wish I had done that, but my cat has never shown the least interest in going outside, so no collar.

What's driving me insane is not that she got out, but that she might be inside but trapped somewhere I can't figure out.

If she's outside, she's probably not very far away, as she's going to detect lots of "enemy" territory and won't know what's safe. She's probably holed up in the first place she could find - under a porch or in a garage or something.

Unfortunately, she will be almost impossible to find and won't respond to your calls, as she won't want to give away her position. Keep some food and water out for her, as eventually she'll calm down and get hungry. With any luck she'll turn up in a couple days.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

My cat doesn't seem to like her collar, about once a week I'll find her without it on. It's a break-away so it's easy for her to get off when she wants, would loosening it not bother her as much?

At least today she was playing with it after she got it off so it was easy to find.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
How many incidents of peeing outside the litter box warrants a vet visit? Toast had a few accidents as a kitten, where he just went on the first softest thing he could find (bath mat, my jeans), but last night I found a puddle of pee along the wall right by the entrance to the apartment. I watched him use his litter box just fine last night, too.

I want to chalk it up to being an accident, or his first and hopefully last spraying incident, but I figure if he does it again over the next few days I'll call my vet.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
I have a quick kitten question that isn't covered by the excellent OP:

We fostered/adopted an abandoned kitten from our local no kill about 2 months ago and he's in full blown kitten stage, meaning he's an rear end in a top hat. He's biting hands, cords, everything. We're being very careful to make sure we withdraw playtime or affection after he bites my wife or I but we have an Older Cat (about 6ish, we guess) and the kitten harrasses him all goddamn day, sometimes biting him really hard.

The Older Cat will yelp or his and run away from the kitten when he plays too rough but the kitten follows him and continues to "play." I want to make sure that we're not stressing out our older cat too much. He's eating as much, littering as normal, and is still affectionate to us, so I guess I'm just hoping to hear "the kitten is being a kitten rear end in a top hat and the older cat will eventually stop being such a turd and will fight back soon.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Dr. Derek posted:

I suggest the name Dobby.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Cat house merging advice needed:

- Girlfriend moved in over the weekend and we both own cats
- My cat is a fairly small (~10lbs) 4 year old tuxedo male (fixed). He used to live with 2 other cats and is very outgoing and wants to be friends with any animal he meets. His name is Juice.
- Her cat is also fairly small (~12lbs) 2 year old orange tabby female (fixed). She's been a solo cat since her shelter days and is very skiddish but very sweet when she's comfortable. Her name is Phoenix.
- We set up the guest room with my girlfriend's bedroom set and have her cat closed in there for now, she has her litter, water and food.
- We've put her food/water by the door and his on the other side to encourage them to get used to each others presence
- Phoenix will come out and hang with us if we're in the room without Juice and is as affectionate as she was when she was in the apartment alone.
- If Juice is let in the room she hides under the bed, he wants to be friends so he'll go under there to say hi and she hisses at him if he gets too close. His usual approach is to flop down on his side/back and inch towards her

Basically just want to make sure we're doing this right? We started letting him in for supervised visits since she seems comfortable in there when it's just us. We always keep an eye on them when they're together and separate them if she starts hissing. One time she came out from under the bed and he ran up to her which freaked her out and she ran out into the rest of the house, it was the worst event by far in terms of noises made. Last night was our best "visit" as he seemed to get she didn't want him under the bed so he just hung out on top of it (laying/relaxing like normal, not tense). My girlfriend got Phoenix to poke her head out by having her play with hair elastics but she went back in when she saw Juice. After about 20 mins or so I took Juice out of the room and my girlfriend stayed behind to help Phoenix relax before we went to sleep.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
I have two male cats aged 8.

My friend has a male cat aged 6. Friend is heading off to vacation for 2 weeks

We're thinking of introducing them and have me take care of the 3 cats. We have scheduled one night to introduce the other cat as a tester.

Are my cats in for a world of hurt here? The new cat will go away in 2 weeks. I have a half-siamese who's very territorial. My cats have their claws (other cat does not)

I'm worried that this could end badly. Should I look for other options, or with the right approach, will the cats be fine? (I've read about proper methods on introducing cats, but worried about age/their sex atm)

Thanks!

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
My 3 month old kitten will not stop chewing on my computer cords. He's destroyed the power cable to my wireless router and now he's chewed straight through the cord to my mouse. The cords were sprayed with Yuck bitter spray when he chewed through the mouse cord. I know it is still there since I got it on my hands and went to eat something. :( I tried covering the cords in aluminum foil but found he was chewing on them and getting little pieces of foil everywhere that he could swallow. What else can I do?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Lemony Fresh posted:

My 3 month old kitten will not stop chewing on my computer cords. He's destroyed the power cable to my wireless router and now he's chewed straight through the cord to my mouse. The cords were sprayed with Yuck bitter spray when he chewed through the mouse cord. I know it is still there since I got it on my hands and went to eat something. :( I tried covering the cords in aluminum foil but found he was chewing on them and getting little pieces of foil everywhere that he could swallow. What else can I do?

http://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-Split-Loom-Inch/dp/B005V9UU1O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406152301&sr=8-2&keywords=split+loom

plus

Bitter apple spray, hot sauce, citrus spray

For the combined protection of a plastic coating and gross taste to keep him away. My cat pizza also powered through bitter spray on its own, but he barely even tries to nibble on the split loom; i think it just doesn't have the same chewy texture as rubber cords he likes. I've got my computer cords locked in under my desk with a cleverly placed baby gate - can your computer desk support a similar blocking setup? maybe with a large lid from a tupperware tub or something? Also maybe buy some toys for him and direct his chewing there with treats and praise.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

I'm moving in about a month and my cat is super afraid of cars to the point where she trembles and poops herself whenever she's in one. The place I'm moving to isn't far, probably a 15 minute drive, but from past experiences of taking her to the vet she usually poops 10 minutes into the car ride. Is there anyway I can keep her calm/not poopy during the move? I was considering just putting her in the carrier and walking her to the new place but since we live in a noisy city, a 45 minute walk might also be kind of stressful for her too. She's not a fan of being in the carrier either and makes sad mewling sounds the whole time. She's an 7-8ish year old grey domestic shorthair and normally the mellowest cat ever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Phisty posted:

I'm moving in about a month and my cat is super afraid of cars to the point where she trembles and poops herself whenever she's in one. The place I'm moving to isn't far, probably a 15 minute drive, but from past experiences of taking her to the vet she usually poops 10 minutes into the car ride. Is there anyway I can keep her calm/not poopy during the move? I was considering just putting her in the carrier and walking her to the new place but since we live in a noisy city, a 45 minute walk might also be kind of stressful for her too. She's not a fan of being in the carrier either and makes sad mewling sounds the whole time. She's an 7-8ish year old grey domestic shorthair and normally the mellowest cat ever.

I'd just let her poop and get it over with. You only have to do it once. She's going to be stressed no matter what you do, so you're probably better off cutting your losses.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah i mean, aside from trying a few sprays of feliway calming spray, a 15 minute drive isn't really worth getting cat drugs. I've heard some cats don't stress on car rides if they're loose (but leashed) and can see out the window vs. being cooped up in a carrier but that's a big risk to take with your upholstery for a 15 minute ride.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
If you are willing to put in the effort, you can, over the course of the next month, use desensitization and counterconditioning to make her less stressed in cars. Start by feeding her in her carrier, and when she gets comfortable to the point where she'll eat in there fine and go in and lay in there, start closing the door for short intervals, etc. and work your way up slowly to car rides.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Xibanya posted:

1) Collars with tags are one of the most effective recovery tools. In the future, suggested tag wording is:
REWARD
INDOOR ONLY!
555-555-5555
2) Microchip. I prefer Home Again but your Vet may offer a different brand. Register a phone number of whomever in your family is least likely to ever change their number oior be drat sure you keep updated. You only get one chance.
3) Make REWARD posters and hand them out to children and the "obvious poor". The more you offer the better. Minimum $100. Do it NOW. Tack them up wherever you can as well.

You have a pretty good chance with the collar but please do the posters with a photo that looks like your cat, not the best photo - the most recognizable.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So, my mom has a geriatric cat that's having some problems lately, and might be having a recurring problem.

As you can see, he is quite the looker.

dat tongue

Anyway, I'm not up to speed on a lot of the pet insurance policies (I looked at the OP to see if there was any mention of them; not so much), though I've been trying to be since my own cat is getting up there in age. What I want to know is how many of those places are willing to take on an aging cat with tooth issues. He checks out otherwise for the most part, though we had a scare recently with him refusing his food and failing to drink any water. He was given antibiotics and fluids, and generally was back to his old, drooly attention-whoring self, but it seems like the recent scare could knock him out of the running for a decent policy.

Has anyone here opted to try for affordable insurance with an elderly cat, or is it just a bust at this point? What were the prices/companies you went through?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I just adopted a 6-year-old cat who had been in the shelter for 5 years, and after crying about how sad that was, I realized I need to make a better tag. She has two right now: one for the shelter and one for the microchip service. Is a tag like this with the following information on the right track?

Tag Front posted:

Charmer
Indoor Cat Only
Reward if Found
Needs Daily Medication
[My Phone No.] (unsure about this one)

Tag Back posted:

Microchipped
[Chip ID No.]
Visit Website / Call
24PetWatch.com
1-866-597-2424 (24PW's phone number)

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Old Boot posted:

Has anyone here opted to try for affordable insurance with an elderly cat, or is it just a bust at this point? What were the prices/companies you went through?

I would read the policies most pet insurances exclude anything that is on the vet record prior to the insurance being taken out. Some companies wont insure a pet over 8 years (in OZ) so insuring an older pet often isnt a great idea but worth check the policies in your country. I enquired with my current cattin insurance company about getting an older cat from a high kill shelter and what would be excluded from the covered, they said they would cover the cat starting from the vet history at the vet i choose to use.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A lot of insurance companies won't insure older pets and none that I looked at when I was shopping around covered preexisting issues or illnesses.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Our cats are eating properly, but we have a huge annoyance. We keep them in the bathroom to sleep (we put their beds, scratching post, food, water, and litterbox in there too). One cat just goes right to sleep, but the other just yowls for 10-15 minutes at a time. He eventually stops and goes to bed too, but it wakes my girlfriend up and keeps me awake too. Is there anything we can do about that? He keeps trying to paw under the bathroom door and sticks his face right in the crack between the door and the floor and just yowls constantly. He's a much more active talker than our other cat (one is 3.5 months, the other is 4 months old) and meows more in general, but this yowling is just horrible. He has an impressive set of lungs; one yowl can last as long as ten seconds. There's nothing wrong with them medically, and neither of them yowl or act distressed. It's just Bagels. He's the Great Yowling Catte of 2014 and he only DOES IT WHEN WE'RE TRYING TO GO TO loving SLEEP

Edit: We don't give in to the yowls either. We let him yowl himself out and don't reward this negative behavior with attention, which I think is causing more yowls itself.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ouhei posted:

Cat house merging advice needed:

Basically just want to make sure we're doing this right? We started letting him in for supervised visits since she seems comfortable in there when it's just us. We always keep an eye on them when they're together and separate them if she starts hissing. One time she came out from under the bed and he ran up to her which freaked her out and she ran out into the rest of the house, it was the worst event by far in terms of noises made. Last night was our best "visit" as he seemed to get she didn't want him under the bed so he just hung out on top of it (laying/relaxing like normal, not tense). My girlfriend got Phoenix to poke her head out by having her play with hair elastics but she went back in when she saw Juice. After about 20 mins or so I took Juice out of the room and my girlfriend stayed behind to help Phoenix relax before we went to sleep.

This is exactly what we did when we introduced our new cat to our current two, and they were tentatively sharing space and not needing supervision after about a week. I wouldn't force contact between the cats, you just want them at first to be comfortable being in the same room as each other. Keep on with supervised visits, as long as they aren't seeking each other out to attack they'll probably be fine.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

Our cats are eating properly, but we have a huge annoyance. We keep them in the bathroom to sleep (we put their beds, scratching post, food, water, and litterbox in there too). One cat just goes right to sleep, but the other just yowls for 10-15 minutes at a time. He eventually stops and goes to bed too, but it wakes my girlfriend up and keeps me awake too. Is there anything we can do about that? He keeps trying to paw under the bathroom door and sticks his face right in the crack between the door and the floor and just yowls constantly. He's a much more active talker than our other cat (one is 3.5 months, the other is 4 months old) and meows more in general, but this yowling is just horrible. He has an impressive set of lungs; one yowl can last as long as ten seconds. There's nothing wrong with them medically, and neither of them yowl or act distressed. It's just Bagels. He's the Great Yowling Catte of 2014 and he only DOES IT WHEN WE'RE TRYING TO GO TO loving SLEEP

Edit: We don't give in to the yowls either. We let him yowl himself out and don't reward this negative behavior with attention, which I think is causing more yowls itself.

how come you lock them up in the bathroom? (sorry, newcomer)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Gorrister posted:

how come you lock them up in the bathroom? (sorry, newcomer)

Because otherwise they jump on my girlfriend's desk to destroy her plants, and unless they're supervised they will try to knock over the TV as well. They also came close to knocking over a glass of water onto her laptop when she got up to go to the bathroom. We're ordering some SSSScat bottles pretty soon when we get paid. We tried leaving them out to roam the apartment while we were at work and came home to mini potted plants batted around the floor with dirt everywhere.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HonorableTB posted:

First thing to try is to play with him until he's worn out before you put him to bed. Play hard - to the point where he's flopping on his side and isn't willing to play any more.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Engineer Lenk posted:

First thing to try is to play with him until he's worn out before you put him to bed. Play hard - to the point where he's flopping on his side and isn't willing to play any more.

Lenk, you should just be my life coach in between this thread and my BFC thread. We'll try that tonight and see if we can't tire the little sucker out.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Robot Mil posted:

This is exactly what we did when we introduced our new cat to our current two, and they were tentatively sharing space and not needing supervision after about a week. I wouldn't force contact between the cats, you just want them at first to be comfortable being in the same room as each other. Keep on with supervised visits, as long as they aren't seeking each other out to attack they'll probably be fine.

Good to know, she's been doing most of the "visits" during the day since she's home all day right now (she's a teacher with the summer off). Juice seems to be getting better about just hanging out in there without seeking Phoenix out right away and Phoenix seems to be tolerating him existing in the same room more. We'll just keep this up and see how it goes. Thanks!

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

broken pixel posted:

I just adopted a 6-year-old cat who had been in the shelter for 5 years, and after crying about how sad that was, I realized I need to make a better tag. She has two right now: one for the shelter and one for the microchip service. Is a tag like this with the following information on the right track?

Too many words or tag will be bigger than the cat:
Charmer (name not relevant - delete)
REWARD (obviously if not found then no reward) BIG LETTERS
Indoor Cat Only (INDOOR ONLY)
Phone number YES - big enough to read

Microchipped - not needed
[Chip ID No.] - chip has number built in
Visit Website / Call - REDUNDANT
24PetWatch.com - REDUNDANT
1-866-597-2424 (24PW's phone number) - REDUNDANT (in chip)

Really, skip the back stuff

So:
For $3 at pettags4less.com $3.00:

REWARD
Indoor Only
555-555-2287

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Our 5 month old kitten got some paint on him when we repainted our bathroom. Our vet suggested rubbing alcohol, which didn't work. The paint can and poison control both suggest a long soak in soapy water, but with a super-squirmy kitten we're hesitant to subject him and ourselves to that kind of trauma if we don't have to. The last option is shaving the affected areas, but a little bit of it is on his paws, and I don't know how well those can be shaved.

At the same time, there's the option of just leaving it and letting him shed the fur away. I don't know how long that would take though, and whether he would be in danger of ingesting any more paint in the meantime from grooming.

He threw up this morning and hasn't been eating as much as usual, so we're slightly worried. That could just be because he licked up some when it first got on him. One of the spots on his legs looks a little raw, like he was really going at it.

Anyone had similar experiences that can offer some advice?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

Our 5 month old kitten got some paint on him when we repainted our bathroom. Our vet suggested rubbing alcohol, which didn't work. The paint can and poison control both suggest a long soak in soapy water, but with a super-squirmy kitten we're hesitant to subject him and ourselves to that kind of trauma if we don't have to. The last option is shaving the affected areas, but a little bit of it is on his paws, and I don't know how well those can be shaved.

At the same time, there's the option of just leaving it and letting him shed the fur away. I don't know how long that would take though, and whether he would be in danger of ingesting any more paint in the meantime from grooming.

He threw up this morning and hasn't been eating as much as usual, so we're slightly worried. That could just be because he licked up some when it first got on him. One of the spots on his legs looks a little raw, like he was really going at it.

Anyone had similar experiences that can offer some advice?

Just let him squirm and get the paint off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I feel like him eating more paint is more traumatizing than sitting in a bathtub. Also more dangerous.