Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Strength of Many posted:

On a semi-related note, how do you Tyranid players run your army without wanting to buy literally everything? Even the bad models are kind of good in a goofy way.

By collecting piecemeal for nearly a decade. Also, avoid Pyrovores like the plague. I considered using them as Biovores since their model is nice and all but only through terrible sales figures will GW learn that they need to give us a tabletop reason to buy them. Look at the Chaos Spawn; it was one of the worst models in the game and now they're actually useful.

Generally with horde armies, get an idea of what list you want to run and try proxy before you buy. Having a handful of gaunts is never a bad thing, but some models are a lot more niche than others (Warriors, Shrikes, Raveners) but can be workable still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

HiveCommander posted:

What about the 'Nid stuff that hasn't been leaked yet? So far we know about the Fedorasaur (good stats, bad rules), Stonecrushers (look pretty promising) and the Malanthrope (harder to kill Venomthrope for +35pts? :swoon:).

Only like four Tyranid units got new rules in IA4 (Meiotic spores are S5 AP4 and release some regular spore mines if killed early). Rules for the GC's are in there too, but apparently aren't changed at all.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

No he can't, any more than a Veteran Sergeant can decide to walk out of his squad to hang out on his own. Models can't just leave their unit because they feel like it.

And Drone Controllers specifically work with Gun Drones, Marker Drones, and Sniper Drones- most people miss that. Other types of drones do not benefit from their effects. (If they did, every one of my lists would include a Commander hanging out with Broadsides to get a bunch of BS5 Missile Drones, because obviously those things aren't good enough already.)

Ok, the reference in the back of the book decided the distinct wasn't necessary, but you're right - page 68 specifies the drone type.

Either way, IA2: 2nd Edition defines the drones as "Marker drones with built-in blacksun filters", so I don't see any confusion.

Further more, yes he can leave his unit. Veteran Sergeants and Tactical Marines !== Battlesuit Commanders and Drones. It's not stopped by the Tau codex either, as it states models can't leave drones if they were taken as an upgrade. As R'alai comes with the drones by default, and you can't choose to not take them, they're not an upgrade.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ijyt posted:

Further more, yes he can leave his unit. Veteran Sergeants and Tactical Marines !== Battlesuit Commanders and Drones. It's not stopped by the Tau codex either, as it states models can't leave drones if they were taken as an upgrade. As R'alai comes with the drones by default, and you can't choose to not take them, they're not an upgrade.

code:
Unit Composition:
1 Commander R'alai
2 Blacklight Marker Drones
They are a unit. The text you're referring to in the Tau codex says that an independent character with upgrade drones may still join units, but it says nothing about leaving their own unit.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AbusePuppy posted:

No he can't, any more than a Veteran Sergeant can decide to walk out of his squad to hang out on his own. Models can't just leave their unit because they feel like it.

This isn't a very good comparison because a Veteran Sergeant doesn't have Independent Character, and a weird special rule that sort of changes the way drones work depending on how you read it.

Half the people I've asked reckon the intention is that the Lone Warrior rule is there to allow him to be the exception to all other Commanders with drones and allows him to ditch them and rejoin them if he feels like it, but also prevents him joining other squads.

The other half reckon Forge World is bad at writing rules and forgot to remove the IC rule, and the intention was just supposed to be other people can't join his squad, and he can't leave his drones or join other squads.

Gonna send FW an email and see what they say.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Flipping through the Necron Codex, wondered where the hull point values were.

It's so eerie that a book this deadly was written for 5th edition. :hb:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

Just assume it's 3 unless it's a Land Raider.
Or an Ork vehicle, in which case it's probably only got 2.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Post 9-11 User posted:

HP values for pre-6th codices can be found in GW's FAQs. For what it's worth, all of the Necron vehicles are 3HP (as are most vehicles in most books, really) except for the Doomsday/Ghost Ark, which are both 4HP.

Necrons exemplify why even older books can still remain very strong- they basically have a handful of really good units/rules (anything with a Tesla Destructor on it being some of the biggest names) that they lean on entirely. Trying to make a good Necron list without using/abusing the Annihilation Barge, Mindshackle/Warscythe/Command Barge, or Night Scythes is pretty hard because a lot of the units outside of those handful are rather lackluster, but so long as you stick to those couple you can get some amazingly efficient armies.

Other books have, at various times, been in similar places- the Witch Hunters book during most of 5th Edition was extremely powerful, for example... as long as you just took as many Immolators as possible and filled them with Stormtroopers and Dominions and the like.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Man, buggychat makes me kinda sad I bought Mantic Raptors instead of making my own buggies.

Then again, I only have four so far, and my list uses eight, so I could convert up the other squadron!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Has anyone mentioned that in the UK, Games Day is being replaced with a 2 day Warhammer Fest? Apparently it will be £20 per day. Who knows what the content will be.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, I've played a couple games with my Tau list, and I'm not sure I want to keep the Hammerhead in. The railgun is nice, and I can use markers to basically makes sure it hits, but... It's a single shot. I'm not sure it's worth the points for one powerful hit per turn, y'know?

I was considering replacing it with either a third Fire Warrior team or a second Stealth team (with a fusion blaster, to maintain the anti-vehicle functionality). Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh way, I forgot about SUBMUNITIONS. Keeping the Hammerhead!

Also, both one of my crisis teams and my broadside team have six marker drones and are joined by a Commander with a drone controller (and two more markers. The broadside one also has a Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite and a Command and Control Node). Considering swapping (some?) of the ones on the Broadsides for missile drones. Good idea?

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 23, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Lungboy posted:

Has anyone mentioned that in the UK, Games Day is being replaced with a 2 day Warhammer Fest? Apparently it will be £20 per day. Who knows what the content will be.

Apparently this:

quote:

Warhammer Fest

Sunday 12th October 2014
Ricoh Arena, Coventry, UK
FREE car parking adjacent to the venue
Warhammer Fest is a celebration of everything about the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000; the miniatures, the backgrounds, the stories and the games. You will encounter fantastic miniatures displays, seminars by our design teams, in-depth demonstrations and inspiring Design Studio displays.

You will also be able to pick up the latest releases from Games Workshop, Forge World and Black Library, including many items available for the first time over the weekend, along with exclusive event only merchandise. With such a wide range of activities, you can plan your day around specific elements, or just enjoy whatever grabs your attention.

Things to See and Do

Golden Demon - On Sunday 12th October, Warhammer Fest will be hosting the 2014 Golden Demon Miniatures Painting Competition, the calendar highlight for miniatures painters throughout the world. If you want to compete and showcase your painting skills, or be a spectator to this extravaganza of miniatures, then order your Sunday ticket today!

Seminars - We will be hosting a series of seminars featuring a panel of experts from Forge World, Black Library and Games Workshop. Each seminar will focus on a specific topic and we will be repeating certain ones each day, so you can choose to attend them when it best suits your plans.

Design Teams - Black Library, Forge World and the Games Workshop Design Studios will all have areas at Warhammer Fest so you can meet the dedicated teams that bring to life the worlds we all love. This is your chance to chat with them and ask any burning questions about Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000, as well as seeing their work up close and personal.

Demo Pods - These dedicated areas are spread throughout the venue and each offers a specific activity such as: painting demonstrations, gaming tactics and a series of presentations covering a range of subjects.

Things to take Home

Black Library - The brand new Horus Heresy book, Death and Defiance will be on sale at Warhammer Fest for the first time anywhere in the world. This anthology collects together five stories set across the battlefields of the Horus Heresy, and includes brand new fiction from Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Nick Kyme, James Swallow, Andy Smillie and Guy Haley.

There will be a range of pre-release titles, event exclusive art prints and more.

Forge World - Visit the popular Forge World sales area for pre-release items, including a brand new book and new models not on release anywhere else; details will be revealed nearer the event. Over the weekend you can also buy from Forge World’s vast range of models and books as well as event only miniatures, t-shirts, hoodies, bags and mugs.

Citadel - You’ll have access to the Games Workshop range at Warhammer Fest, enabling you to add the latest Citadel miniatures, books and other products to your collections.

Art Prints - Admire a gallery of art prints celebrating the stunning visual work of our design teams, with artwork showing detail beyond what you see in our publications. And if there’s something you really like, you’ll be able to buy exclusive prints of many of the pieces over the weekend.

Exclusive Event Merchandise - Get an exclusive memento of your experience with event only products to use in your games and show off to your friends.

If you want to be part of this extravaganza of all things Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000, then get your ticket now as we have strictly limited numbers available for each day.

Full terms and conditions are available here.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So I saw a link to these gaming mats on facebook. Unfortunately they cost almost as much to ship to the UK as the mats themselves cost.

Would any UK based goons (South-East preferably I suppose for distribution logistics) be interested in sharing the cost of a 4-pack shipping deal? It works out at $40 shipping per mat rather than $70 if shipping singly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Buy all the new GW models you need for 10% off. :v

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ineptmule posted:

So I saw a link to these gaming mats on facebook. Unfortunately they cost almost as much to ship to the UK as the mats themselves cost.

Would any UK based goons (South-East preferably I suppose for distribution logistics) be interested in sharing the cost of a 4-pack shipping deal? It works out at $40 shipping per mat rather than $70 if shipping singly.

Have you checked these guys out?

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/

Still a bit pricy, but shipping from Europe rather than US

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ineptmule posted:

I have some of these and can attest to how much they own bones, but yeah shipping on them is a bitch and a half. I backed the KS for them and there was a flat rate per mat, no discount for multiples, so at least you have that going for you buying them now at retail.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Have you checked these guys out?

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/

Still a bit pricy, but shipping from Europe rather than US

Cool thanks for this. I like some designs from each! I can tell a lot of money will be spent...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ineptmule posted:

Cool thanks for this. I like some designs from each! I can tell a lot of money will be spent...

Also worth noting while they both have really cool designs, they use different materials for their mats

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone who just happens to have Krom Dragongaze for sale?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DJ Dizzy posted:

I still have one, are you in the UK?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

krushgroove posted:

I still have one, are you in the UK?

Denmark, so shipping is not that bad. How much do you want for it?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

Also worth noting while they both have really cool designs, they use different materials for their mats

Interesting... I don't know what the difference is. What are the materials like?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sanctus Reach is awesome. I got one for $100 and expect to sell off just the Space Wolf crap alone for $80-$100, god bless Warhams and their poor money sense.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ineptmule posted:

Interesting... I don't know what the difference is. What are the materials like?

Deep Cut ones are a sheet of PVC ie vinyl flooring, Frontline Gaming ones are literally giant mousepads, ie printed material fixed to a non-slip rubber neoprene base

If I was in the market for a green fields mat I'd go with the Deep Cut one at the moment, I'm not the biggest fan of the print on the Frontline version.

I do think both materials are viable, and the new printing technologies that have made both (and other competitors rolling out now) a reality have really reinforced that I chose a good time to get into wargaming :mmmhmm:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 23, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's only a sticking point because the Deep Cut ones slide more, reportedly. That's easy to work around if your table has a rough texture or if you get a tablecloth underlay, but Frontline doesn't need workarounds.

I'm still getting Deep Cut purely based on the price point, though. Shipping like that is murder.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DJ Dizzy posted:

Denmark, so shipping is not that bad. How much do you want for it?

Sent you a PM!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I wish there was a good way to get hold of Mk VI "beaky" marines that wasn't Forgeworld. I hate their resin, and eBay is only giving me the old Rogue Trader plastics (which is awesome but I want the newer/larger scale ones).

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It's only a sticking point because the Deep Cut ones slide more, reportedly. That's easy to work around if your table has a rough texture or if you get a tablecloth underlay, but Frontline doesn't need workarounds.

I'm still getting Deep Cut purely based on the price point, though. Shipping like that is murder.

I'm very tempted to make a custom Deep Cut mat, but I'm not sure my computer will like me working on a 4'x 4' 300dpi image.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished my second Exocrine! :woop:

Now it's time to field the drat thing and drown my enemies in plasma!

HQ:
The Swarmlord 285pts
2x Tyrant Guard 100pts

Hive Tyrant 170pts (230pts)
++Adrenal Glands 15pts
++Twin-linked Devourer 15pts
++Twin-linked Devourer 15pts
++Wings 30pts

Elite:
2x Venomthrope 90pts
1x Zoanthrope 50pts
1x Zoanthrope 50pts

Troops:
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts
10x Termagant 40pts

Heavy Support:
Exocrine 170pts

Living Artillery
3x Tyranid Warrior 90pts (100pts)
++Barbed Strangler 10pts

3x Biovore 120pts

Exocrine 170pts

Total Points: 1500pts
Total Models: 46
Psyker Dice Pool: 10

I'm leaving off most Flyers because I've fielded them a lot recently and want some variety. There's enough MC models on the table to threaten most tanks and the Exocrines can pretty handily take care of <AV13 vehicles.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I also had these mats appear on my facebook or twitter or something a month back. Can't speak for the quality, but they'll have cheaper postage coming from the Czech Republic

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I wish there was a good way to get hold of Mk VI "beaky" marines that wasn't Forgeworld. I hate their resin, and eBay is only giving me the old Rogue Trader plastics (which is awesome but I want the newer/larger scale

Want there a beaker or two in the 3rd edition kits? You might be able to find head lots on ebay.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I wish there was a good way to get hold of Mk VI "beaky" marines that wasn't Forgeworld. I hate their resin, and eBay is only giving me the old Rogue Trader plastics (which is awesome but I want the newer/larger scale ones).
I had a bunch that I never used and back when Warstore did bits selling/buying I was able to send them like 30 and got 50-60 bucks for em. It was awesome, and I miss that bits market. Can you force yourself to work with Forgeworld resin if it's just a bunch of Marines? It's not like you'd be building some complex huge kits or anything.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Want there a beaker or two in the 3rd edition kits? You might be able to find head lots on ebay.

There are, but there's other differences between VI and VII, mainly the legs (no kneepads), the studded shoulder-pad, and ideally a chestplate without the aquila on it. It's mainly the legs though.

SRM posted:

I had a bunch that I never used and back when Warstore did bits selling/buying I was able to send them like 30 and got 50-60 bucks for em. It was awesome, and I miss that bits market. Can you force yourself to work with Forgeworld resin if it's just a bunch of Marines? It's not like you'd be building some complex huge kits or anything.

It's not the complexity, it's the awful flash and residue, and the fact that it's quite toxic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

It's not the complexity, it's the awful flash and residue, and the fact that it's quite toxic.
Just don't chew it. You shouldn't be inhaling any sort of dust, whether it's resin, metal, or plastic, and it's no more toxic than any of the above really. The residue can be taken care of by washing it with soapy water, and well, you already have the knife and clippers out, so what's a little flash?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

There are, but there's other differences between VI and VII, mainly the legs (no kneepads), the studded shoulder-pad, and ideally a chestplate without the aquila on it. It's mainly the legs though.

It's not the complexity, it's the awful flash and residue, and the fact that it's quite [b]toxic[b].

Its carcinogenic, not toxic. Important difference.

But then again anything is carcinogenic if you breath it in. The hand wringing over resin is a bit silly. Don't snort the stuff and you'll be fine.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Man, I wish I had some spare time now that I have a boatload of cash to buy myself another Valkyrie so I could paint it to resemble a Uh60 just in the rare off chance that some day I get to play a Black Hawk Down scenario. :( And I don't even like playing 40k that much because I'm awful at it.

That and somehow make a Littlebird flyer using the Land Speeder Storm scouts as guys on the side skids.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ah got you, was thinking you just wanted the beaks

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Can the heads of Militarum Tempestus Scions be used on Cadian bodies? Seems like a nice non-forgeworld way of making veterans.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

not lame! posted:

Can the heads of Militarum Tempestus Scions be used on Cadian bodies? Seems like a nice non-forgeworld way of making veterans.
Yeah, I'm pretty positive they're designed to be used as such. You can look at sprue pics on the GW site and they seem pretty easily swappable. God knows you'll have plenty of spare heads.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

SRM posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty positive they're designed to be used as such. You can look at sprue pics on the GW site and they seem pretty easily swappable. God knows you'll have plenty of spare heads.

How do Astra Militarium players distinguish between Militarum Tempestus Scions and veterans with the grenadier upgrade in their armies?

Are parts for both the Company Commander/Platoon Commander included in the Cadian Command Squad? Is the guy with the peak-cap and the trenchcoat the Company Commander? The AM codex/GW's site is actually somewhat vague on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
You know, I understand why they did it, but "Astra Militarum" still sounds like the dumbest goddamn thing ever and I can't see that army as anything but IG.

• Locked thread