Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

uwaeve posted:

We'd like to buy an Amazon gift card for someone in Germany, but we live in the US. Do we buy from the US store? Is there another option? Reason I ask is my wife is convinced the last time someone bought these people an Amazon gift card they were somehow forced to use it at US sites and incur huge shipping. Maybe it's just the recipients that are dumb. Google and Amazon didn't immediately help.

amazon.com gift cards don't work on the amazon regional sites like amazon.de.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rubies posted:

My question is this: can I read about some other "Wild West"-style folklore NOT from North America? I feel like a lot of cultures would have a thing where people go out into the wild and settle and it's all beautiful and whatnot. When I google around about it it's more about regular settling and movement, not the fun myths and whatnot. I love the Old West but I want to read about that same thing in other places.

This is from a few pages ago but I didn't see a response.

I'm pretty sure Australia has some close similarities to the American West. I know you're not necessarily looking for stories of outlaws etc. but Ned Kelly and his gang spring to mind although he's just the most famous of (I assume) a large number of Australian outlaws etc.

Also you might find similar folklore based in Latin America or South Africa ... interestingly all of these examples (US included) have deeply troubling colonialist over/undertones and I'm sure many PhDs have been written along that line of thinking.

Branching out a little you might find that stories of travel or settling in remote places like Siberia or Mongolia meet your interests. Most of these places are both beautiful and austere, to varying degrees. To my mind Old West folklore is more about hardship and isolation than beautiful surroundings so maybe my selection is biased!

Edit: for a somewhat out there example, check out the history/stories/sagas of Norse colonisation of the North Atlantic! Iceland, Greenland, Vinland and so on. It's really interesting and a really great study of humans living in previously (almost) uninhabited environments.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 23, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

blackguy32 posted:

So yeah, I went ahead and ordered some eyeglasses from a brick and mortar store and paid out of the rear end for them, which is fine, since I got them within 2 hours, but I think somebody hosed up. Like they have a weird distortion that seriously hurts my head and I know that my right eye is much worse than my left, yet when I only look out of my right eye, it is still blurry as poo poo. The glasses store told me that I would simply need to adjust, well I have been wearing them for the past 10 hours or so and my head is aching and it sort of feels like I have been straining my eyes. Should I give it more time or go back to the optometrist?

As someone that's had glasses my whole life, it sounds like your prescription is wrong, or the lenses were borked in production. Were they bifocals? Trifocals? Or meant to be a single prescription?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Here's a small question for a stupid problem. What isthe easiest/cheapest way to remove this lock?

The key for it doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure why, perhaps the lock isn't fully closed and that's the problem? Anyways, we've spent probably half an hour trying to open the drat thing. Help.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Here's a small question for a stupid problem. What isthe easiest/cheapest way to remove this lock?

The key for it doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure why, perhaps the lock isn't fully closed and that's the problem? Anyways, we've spent probably half an hour trying to open the drat thing. Help.
Go buy a set of bolt cutters and cut it.

Alternately find something wedge-like and something hammer-like and figure the rest out for yourself.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

So yeah, I went ahead and ordered some eyeglasses from a brick and mortar store and paid out of the rear end for them, which is fine, since I got them within 2 hours, but I think somebody hosed up. Like they have a weird distortion that seriously hurts my head and I know that my right eye is much worse than my left, yet when I only look out of my right eye, it is still blurry as poo poo. The glasses store told me that I would simply need to adjust, well I have been wearing them for the past 10 hours or so and my head is aching and it sort of feels like I have been straining my eyes. Should I give it more time or go back to the optometrist?

(Have you worn glasses before?)

One weird thing that can make glasses not work even if the prescription is right is not getting the optical center over where you eyes are. Though this is often similar person to person, when it is off, it feels like your eyes are being pulled away from ahead all the time.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Another thing to check would be any coatings that were applied to the lenses. A few years ago I got a new pair of glasses and they only applied the anti-reflective coating to one lens, it didn't affect my vision too badly but gave me headaches until I got it fixed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Babygravy posted:

As someone that's had glasses my whole life, it sounds like your prescription is wrong, or the lenses were borked in production. Were they bifocals? Trifocals? Or meant to be a single prescription?

Its single vision. So yeah, I imagine that they were messed up somewhere along the line. Although I am not sure if it was the prescription or when they made the lenses.

pupdive posted:

(Have you worn glasses before?)

One weird thing that can make glasses not work even if the prescription is right is not getting the optical center over where you eyes are. Though this is often similar person to person, when it is off, it feels like your eyes are being pulled away from ahead all the time.

Yeah, I did as a kid. But that was a long time ago and I never remember them being this cumbersome.

Lemon posted:

Another thing to check would be any coatings that were applied to the lenses. A few years ago I got a new pair of glasses and they only applied the anti-reflective coating to one lens, it didn't affect my vision too badly but gave me headaches until I got it fixed.

I think I got the anti-glare coating. The question is now, do I go check with the optometrist first or the glasses store?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blackguy32 posted:

I think I got the anti-glare coating. The question is now, do I go check with the optometrist first or the glasses store?
Go back to the store and tell them you want them to check that they didn't gently caress up the prescription. Because it certainly sounds like that is exactly what they did.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Why is constipation/diarrhea and drowsiness/excitability common side effects for just about every substance ever?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Manwithastick posted:

I am a Computing teacher in the UK who loves all things technical. Previously I have made audio podcasts for our school internally and I have gotten to grips with audio recording software but now I want to start making computing podcasts for other teachers that are available on Itunes - problem is I don't even know where to start with that - anybody have any ideas?

Since I didn't see a response, I did something similar years back and the process was surprisingly easy. Registration/uploading to iTunes was straightforward though I'm sure the process has changed since then.

I'm posting from mobile else I could do a bit of research on various links but the first few Google results should be more than enough to get you on your way. If you run into any problems ask again, certainly.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Angle grinder, should take 2min, and be way easier than bolt cutters or a wedge.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The cheapest way would probably be a hacksaw. You can get one with a nice new blade for fifteen bucks. It will take a long time to saw through the lock.

The easiest way would be a power tool like an angle grinder. It's also the best way to steal bicycles so it kind of pays for itself!

A bolt cutter falls in the middle.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
On the other hand, a demo charge allows the occasion to shout "BREECHING BREECHING BREECHING!" as you hit the button, instantly turning your real life into a video game for a brief, all too brief, moment.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

You took the picture on one side, and I see someone else's foot on the other side, so you clearly already have access to both sides of this door/cage, so it can't be THAT big a deal to cut the lock off.

Fake edit: Unless you or that other person are now locked up in the cage/storage unit. :ohdear:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

DrBouvenstein posted:

You took the picture on one side, and I see someone else's foot on the other side, so you clearly already have access to both sides of this door/cage, so it can't be THAT big a deal to cut the lock off.

Fake edit: Unless you or that other person are now locked up in the cage/storage unit. :ohdear:

Personally I think it's the entrance to his sex dungeon he's locked his gimp in.. Though I am very curious how this situation was set up

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Babygravy posted:

Personally I think it's the entrance to his sex dungeon he's locked his gimp in.. Though I am very curious how this situation was set up

The key has worn out, so he obviously accesses the space quite regularly.

For some reason. :ohdear:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Babygravy posted:

I thought a starwars betamax briefly left YLLS

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baldbeard posted:

Why is constipation/diarrhea and drowsiness/excitability common side effects for just about every substance ever?

Because those afflictions are very common.

Drug trials have patients report all possible side effects. So things that are the fault of dollar taco night get reported the same as real side effects of the medicine.

Also many allergy medicine either stimulate(things you make meth from) or make drowsy(antihistimines).

They just happen to be really common effects.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Hacksaw complete with blade should be about $10. Minute or two of sawing and you'll be right through.

It looks like you're in a storage facility of some sort. The owner/manager/landlord/maint man has bolt cutters that will get you through in 2 seconds, and save you $10. When you ask, they'll say they don't have one, because they don't want to get involved. They're lying. They have one.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Baldbeard posted:

Because wakefulness is regulated by jut about every neurotransmitter in your brain and most systems of your body--so drugs that change almost anything will affect that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I use Audacious for playing music on my computer, and it works exactly as I want it to in almost all respects. The one thing that annoys me about it is that when I sort a playlist by artist, it doesn't ignore the word "the". So if you're looking for the Beatles or the Waifs or the Pogues they're all under T for "the". Is there either some way I can get Audacious to behave correctly or is there another media player that's similar but will sort things properly (and has a Linux version)?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

photomikey posted:

Hacksaw complete with blade should be about $10. Minute or two of sawing and you'll be right through.

Thanks, we're on a budget so this is probably the best option.

Babygravy posted:

It's a wire cage storage locker in the basement of our apartment building. There's a couple feet of space at the top so anybody determined to break in can do so, although they would get caught by the surveillance cameras.

So sorry, no sex dungeon shenanigans, although knowing my room-mates, it will definitely be used for shagging at some point.

I guess well find out how closely they watch the surveillance footage when we take a hacksaw to our own lock.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Why do videos on Instagram play sporadically with Chrome? I have to open and close a video sometimes over 10 times for it to start playing. Sometimes they work on the first time I try. I can force it manually by inspecting element and clicking on the .mp4 file, but that can get cumbersome. I just checked and they work fine in IE and FF. I tried disabling AdBlock on Instagram as well. Doesn't solve it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

If you're on a super budget, just use an aluminum can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBufAP0LduM

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

It's a wire cage storage locker in the basement of our apartment building.

Go borrow the building manager's bolt cutters.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeas but that's not going to be an issue for someone keeping a text-heavy blog for a few months while they recover from surgery, the use case being asked about.

Yeah I ended up trying to show her blogger, then tumblr, then when she failed at that, I just went and set up a Wordpress site with an email address she can just send an email to that'll post her email to the blog. :shrug:

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

ineptmule posted:

This is from a few pages ago but I didn't see a response.

I'm pretty sure Australia has some close similarities to the American West. I know you're not necessarily looking for stories of outlaws etc. but Ned Kelly and his gang spring to mind although he's just the most famous of (I assume) a large number of Australian outlaws etc.

Also you might find similar folklore based in Latin America or South Africa ... interestingly all of these examples (US included) have deeply troubling colonialist over/undertones and I'm sure many PhDs have been written along that line of thinking.

Branching out a little you might find that stories of travel or settling in remote places like Siberia or Mongolia meet your interests. Most of these places are both beautiful and austere, to varying degrees. To my mind Old West folklore is more about hardship and isolation than beautiful surroundings so maybe my selection is biased!

Edit: for a somewhat out there example, check out the history/stories/sagas of Norse colonisation of the North Atlantic! Iceland, Greenland, Vinland and so on. It's really interesting and a really great study of humans living in previously (almost) uninhabited environments.

Thanks man! I'm gonna get reading, starting with Australia's history.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Yeah I ended up trying to show her blogger, then tumblr, then when she failed at that, I just went and set up a Wordpress site with an email address she can just send an email to that'll post her email to the blog. :shrug:

So did you try out weebly at all?

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.

Depending on how good of a lock that is, a 2c bobby pin might do the trick, but I imagine one of you has tried that. :)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

tuyop posted:

So did you try out weebly at all?

Weebly looks awesome (you called it meebly so it took me a while to find it), and I'm actually probably going to use it for an online store soon, but for her, again, everything is too complicated...she's 60 and she has an ipad, that's about it. With the wordpress site, she can just send an email to an email address and the blog is posted. And I know she knows how to send an email, she forwards me like 10 a day.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I suddenly have more free time than usual, and I'd like to profit on that. Is there anything I can do online to make a few bucks? I've heard about taking online surveys but I have no clue where to start with that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

bvoid posted:

I suddenly have more free time than usual, and I'd like to profit on that. Is there anything I can do online to make a few bucks? I've heard about taking online surveys but I have no clue where to start with that.

There's several different sites that reward you from doing something as simple as a bunch of searches (Bing rewards,) to ones that let you earn rewards for a lot of things, like watching videos, taking surveys, signing up for trial memberships at affiliate programs, etc... (Swagbucks is probably the most popular of these.)

Come to this thread in Coupons and Deals to get more detailed info.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
^^ drat You!

bvoid posted:

Come to this thread. You can make a decent amount in Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks & Perktv each month. There are other things too, read the OP then jump to about 10-15 pages from the end to see what the latest stuff is.

I just do Swagbucks and perktv and make around $50 in Amazon gift cards and another $25 in paypal cash each month and it takes me a few minutes each day. There are more dedicated people making thousands of dollars each month doing other things but I don't have time for all that.

edit: oh yeah I forgot I do Bing too so that's another $20+ a month in Amazon cards.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Also if you want to do something a little more intensive and possibly more lucrative (as in, part time or full time online career) you can check out http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Dudebro posted:

Why do videos on Instagram play sporadically with Chrome? I have to open and close a video sometimes over 10 times for it to start playing. Sometimes they work on the first time I try. I can force it manually by inspecting element and clicking on the .mp4 file, but that can get cumbersome. I just checked and they work fine in IE and FF. I tried disabling AdBlock on Instagram as well. Doesn't solve it.

Just posting to say that this isn't just you. I have the same problem. I'm using Chromium in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, so it seems to be a Chrome specific problem. Most likely it has to do with Flash interacting with Chrome.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

the posted:

Just posting to say that this isn't just you. I have the same problem. I'm using Chromium in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, so it seems to be a Chrome specific problem. Most likely it has to do with Flash interacting with Chrome.

I googled it and someone's solution was to disable hardware acceleration for video playback. That may work, but I'm not going to do that because that affects a lot of things. Another solution was disabling something with pepperflash in the chrome plugins menu, but that didn't work for me.

Pretty annoying. I may just have to use FF for my instagram fapping browsing.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

bvoid posted:

If you're in the US make a mechanical turk account. I think I made $230 last summer while in the same situation, just dicking around while I watched TV.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

bvoid posted:

Learn a new skill, language (spoken or programmed), instrument or find another way to better yourself than stupid online surveys.

http://udacity.com
http://coursera.com
http://duolingo.com
http://khanacademy.org
http://codeacademy.com

the fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

the posted:

Learn a new skill, language (spoken or programmed), instrument or find another way to better yourself than stupid online surveys.

http://udacity.com
http://coursera.com
http://duolingo.com
http://khanacademy.org
http://codeacademy.com

I'm currently learning Python and practicing guitar. I'm moving to a slightly more expensive apartment in a month and I need to make some extra cash to help with the move-in costs.