Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm really confused that people thought Lost World was dogshit but they see Boom and think it's okay

I didn't say Lost World was terrible. At worst, it was overly ambitious. I just said that this isn't offensively bad. That's how low my expectations of this game is. It's, at very best, a 7.0 game.

Lost World got its backlash due to people actually being excited about it and expecting something great instead of the uneven thing we ended up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lost World and Sonic Boom have completely different issues. Lost World looked great but suffered from overly complex/poorly explained controls and questionable level design. Sonic Boom looks like an average mid-2000s character platformer. There's not much Sonic-y about it aside from the characters and some fast running sections. It may very well be a good game, but it doesn't look like a good Sonic game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yeah, Sonic Boom doesn't really look like a Sonic game.

What I really want is another game like Sonic 3 & Knuckles but we all know that will never, ever happen again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

What I really want is another game like Sonic 3 & Knuckles but we all know that will never, ever happen again.

I still remember when Megaman 9 came out, all I could think was "why can't Sega do that? Why can't they just do what worked and not re-invent the wheel"

Then they did Sonic 4. It could have been good, but they just had to go and DIMPS it up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oxyclean posted:

I still remember when Megaman 9 came out, all I could think was "why can't Sega do that? Why can't they just do what worked and not re-invent the wheel"

Then they did Sonic 4. It could have been good, but they just had to go and DIMPS it up.

And then came Sonic Generations which had fantastic classic levels. Weren't the physics of Sonic 4 episode 2 based on Sonic Generations' classic levels anyway?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I've looked at Mega Man 9 and New Super Mario Bros. and I still wonder why Sega couldn't just do that. I guess that's what Sonic 4 was supposed to be, but they just didn't get it. Sonic 4 takes all of its aesthetics directly from Sonic 1 and 2 and just has Sonic and Tails playable, but it just resembles them superficially.

Instead of giving us an actual sequel to Sonic 3, they gave us levels and enemies ripped straight from Sonic 1 and 2 with shittier gameplay. It kind of baffles me that Sega thought that people actually wanted that, instead of, well, an actual sequel. I guess it just goes to show just how out of touch they are.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I'm glad they decided to tell Amy's voice actor to stop being Minnie Mouse and try a better direction but I still miss Dan Green as Knuckles, was there any other actors that were decent during the 4kids dub besides Eggman?.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still confused over if spin dashing is a thing in Boom. Why did SEGA think sonic was about picking up things and throwing them at enemies? Was this a stolen prototype for a Klonoa reboot or something?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

SirDrone posted:

I'm glad they decided to tell Amy's voice actor to stop being Minnie Mouse and try a better direction but I still miss Dan Green as Knuckles, was there any other actors that were decent during the 4kids dub besides Eggman?.

Jason Griffith wasn't actually that bad I found, though I will say he was better as kind of... a Sonic who's grown up and managed to get his head set properly on his shoulders. Still knows and wants to have fun, but is also aware he has responsibilities and such. It worked pretty well for Unleashed, where Sonic had to play more of the big brother role to Chip, and otherwise seemed to have settled down from the Hog with 'tude days. Amy fit fairly well at times - funnily enough, best shown in Sonic 06 of all places, given her interactions with Silver - and Blaze the Cat first spawned in the 4kids era, so there's that. To be honest, the biggest problem with 4kids dubbing, in terms of the actual voice work, often isn't so much that the cast they got wasn't talented, but often the direction they get is just weird, or otherwise doesn't fit. The reason Eggman worked so well is not only that Pollock really does own the role so well, but that he's such a blatant mad scientist that its not exactly hard to get the memo.

Edit:

Crabtree posted:

I'm still confused over if spin dashing is a thing in Boom. Why did SEGA think sonic was about picking up things and throwing them at enemies? Was this a stolen prototype for a Klonoa reboot or something?

It... kind of is. Hard to say if it exists as a method of transport for all the characters (probably not), Sonic at least still uses it both for combat and for getting up some ramps.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's weird how Sonic fans are so obsessed with the voice actors. Aside from Mike Pollock's Eggman, none of them were really that great or stood out to me. I remember they changed Sonic's voice once and nerds flipped the gently caress out for some reason.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I have strong opinions on Sonic's voice actors. Ryan Drummand will always be my favorite, he just owned role so well in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes in my opinion. Jason Griffith wasn't bad, but I always thought he sounded way too nice. He was much better as Shadow than as Sonic. Roger Craig Smith is doing a fine job as Sonic, so I'm happy with him keeping the role. The only voice actor I really hated was Rouge's 4Kids voice actress. She's supposed to be like 18 but from her voice you would think she was like 40 or something, god that was terrible.

I think everyone is in agreement that Mike Pollock is the best out of any of them though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sonic Generations proved that Sonic works best without any voice at all.

I've been playing Sonic Heroes again, and I'm pretty sure it was designed by Satan. It at least put me off the franchise long enough that I never had to experience Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic '06. At least '06 is broken in a way that it's consistently one of the funniest games I've ever played, but Heroes and Shadow just control dreadfully, and make you replay the same content a ridiculous number of times.

E: Long John Baldry will always be the best Robotnik. His current voice it just a bit too screechy for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZTTnRU2xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFMwgOfdG_M

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 13, 2014

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Give Sonic to WayForward. I don't even know if it'd play well at all, or if anyone on the team is a Sonic fan in the least, but at least let someone try.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

My favorite Sonic is Steve Urkel. Gotta speeeeeddd keeeedd!

Also pretty much every Robotnik is great. Mike Pollock, Long John Baldry, Jim Cummings... the Eggman is always the best thing about Sonic games.

Pretty much the two Sonic games they really need to make but never will are another game like Sonic 3 and a Dr. Eggman spinoff. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a cool game but that's not really what I mean.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

My favorite Sonic is Steve Urkel. Gotta speeeeeddd keeeedd!

Also pretty much every Robotnik is great. Mike Pollock, Long John Baldry, Jim Cummings... the Eggman is always the best thing about Sonic games.

Pretty much the two Sonic games they really need to make but never will are another game like Sonic 3 and a Dr. Eggman spinoff. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a cool game but that's not really what I mean.

One of the interesting bits about Sonic Adventure 2 was, even if it did somewhat rehash levels as a result, the fact you actually got to show how it is a villain succeeds in the first place. You get to break into government facilities, retake secret bases, all that stuff, and then just switch to the hero side to see how it gets taken down. It worked for a nice dynamic, though Sonic 06 showed how that kind of interconnected story can fail, whilst Heroes shows what can happen if you have the separate stories too disconnected.

But yeah, I mentioned before, but I think part of what made Sonic 4 not... well, work, was the fact they used a 3D model over blatantly 2D backgrounds, so there was a disconnect that didn't lend well to a game that's meant to be about motion. I wish they still had the part of the Hedgehog Engine that they used for Generation's 2D parts - that'd be interesting for a standalone game.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I will defend Episode 2 to my grave. The backgrounds were beautiful, the Tails gimmick was good and the physics were right. I also enjoyed some of the music quite a lot but I understand why people don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDr90eFzIL4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Wh_8tdk3M

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Astro Nut posted:

But yeah, I mentioned before, but I think part of what made Sonic 4 not... well, work, was the fact they used a 3D model over blatantly 2D backgrounds, so there was a disconnect that didn't lend well to a game that's meant to be about motion. I wish they still had the part of the Hedgehog Engine that they used for Generation's 2D parts - that'd be interesting for a standalone game.

Also the fact that the level designs and physics were godawful. And in Episode 2 you can get past huge sections of stages by doing the team-attack spindash and then waiting.

If Sega ever makes a Sonic game a la Mega Man 9, I might cry tears of joy.

EDIT: On the topic of VAs for Sonic, yeah. I got used to Jason Griffith after a while, but Ryan Drummond is still my favorite. Roger Craig Smith is definitely doing a good job with it, though after playing W101 it's hard not to hear him as Wonder Blue. Not that that's a bad thing though, hah.

Xad fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 13, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

True but you do remember that Boom has been stated to be a spinoff series and they're still going to be making mainstream Sonic games right? I'm pretty sure the different gameplay style was intentional because, well, it's not part of the main series. Whether or not it'll be good still remains to be seen.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 14, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Part of the reason Sonic 4 ended up being mostly a rehash was that it originally was conceived as "Sonic DL." Well, I don't know if that was ever the official name but some files in an early press kit were labeled that, and Jun Senoue commented that when he wrote the music the team didn't know what they were working on would become Sonic 4 yet. The idea for the game really was just "hey, let's make a small downloadable 2D game that harkens back to the original games." At some point it became a numbered sequel for whatever reason (probably to drive sales) and they had to ramp things up. Sonic 4 Episode 2 had a lot more of a focus on being a sequel what with the story and original levels and everything.

That said, the majority of the flaws were in its design and implementation. Everything from the graphics to the instrumentation of the music flopped, and DIMPS not being given very good direction didn't help. Sega of America seemed to be the ones pushing for the proper physics and momentum, but the specifics of the message got lost in translation between SoJ and DIMPS at several points.

Someday I want to see the Sonic 4 bible that they have (had?) at Sega that had the whole plans, story, and specifics mapped out for the series.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Both episodes picked up pretty well in their second halves I thought; episode 2 in particular had a storming final stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtC1ZqiWao

I don't get why Sonic Advance isn't considered the spiritual Sonic 4. It adds one extra character like its predecessors, the physics are suitably weighty and allow for the same style of play as the originals, it has enough original content while throwing in a few nods like the Metal Knuckles fight, the end-game switches up the structure like its predecessors and while it isn't as ambitious as S3&K, it's easily the most similar in play style - much more than Sonic 4.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 14, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Part of the reason Sonic 4 ended up being mostly a rehash was that it originally was conceived as "Sonic DL." Well, I don't know if that was ever the official name but some files in an early press kit were labeled that, and Jun Senoue commented that when he wrote the music the team didn't know what they were working on would become Sonic 4 yet. The idea for the game really was just "hey, let's make a small downloadable 2D game that harkens back to the original games." At some point it became a numbered sequel for whatever reason (probably to drive sales) and they had to ramp things up. Sonic 4 Episode 2 had a lot more of a focus on being a sequel what with the story and original levels and everything.

That said, the majority of the flaws were in its design and implementation. Everything from the graphics to the instrumentation of the music flopped, and DIMPS not being given very good direction didn't help. Sega of America seemed to be the ones pushing for the proper physics and momentum, but the specifics of the message got lost in translation between SoJ and DIMPS at several points.

Someday I want to see the Sonic 4 bible that they have (had?) at Sega that had the whole plans, story, and specifics mapped out for the series.

The physics is what really ruined the game for me, since Sonic accelerates very slowly unless you use the homing attack to boost yourself forward. He also comes to a dead stop, even in mid-air, if you let go of the d-pad, which goes against the physics of any Sonic game, or momentum-based platformer in general. It works in Crash Bandicoot since you don't need to build up speed in that game, you're either at full speed or stationary, which makes precision platforming in 3D easier, but it's terrible for a Sonic game.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't get why Sonic Advance isn't considered the spiritual Sonic 4. It adds one extra character like its predecessors, the physics are suitably weighty and allow for the same style of play as the originals, it has enough original content while throwing in a few nods like the Metal Knuckles fight, the end-game switches up the structure like its predecessors and while it isn't as ambitious as S3&K, it's easily the most similar in play style - much more than Sonic 4.

I liked how each character had their moveset from the Sonic Adventure games, such as Knuckles being able to swim and Amy having to attack with her hammer, although its relatively tiny hitbox meant she was much harder to play as. You could do things like hit springs with it and get a much bigger boost from it, though. The physics was much closer to the original games too, but the level design never really came close to S3&K, especially with how they had different pathways unique to each character.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, Sonic Advance 1 is the closest we ever got to a real Sonic 4. But at you said, it wasn't as ambitious as S3&K. That game was pretty huge for a sidescroller. A ton of levels, most of which were huge, a boss at the end of each one, separate paths for the different characters, cutscenes linking each level, 14 special stages, a bunch of special powers for Sonic when you got shields, and a metric fuckton of charm. S3&K is the best Sonic game, period.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, Sonic Advance 1 is the closest we ever got to a real Sonic 4. But at you said, it wasn't as ambitious as S3&K. That game was pretty huge for a sidescroller. A ton of levels, most of which were huge, a boss at the end of each one, separate paths for the different characters, cutscenes linking each level, 14 special stages, a bunch of special powers for Sonic when you got shields, and a metric fuckton of charm. S3&K is the best Sonic game, period.

Absolutely. Don't forget that each act had different music, too. The special stages were my favourite out of any of the Sonic games, and entering them just required you to explore the levels rather than hold on to your rings. The co-op mechanic with Sonic and Tails was great, and the competitive stages had fantastic music, although unfortunately they didn't let you race the actual stages like Sonic 2 did.

I can't recommend Sonic 3 Complete enough, since it's pretty much the equivalent of those fantastic ports of 1, 2, and CD (but thankfully not only on smartphones).

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So uh, so much for Boom being some kind of Western exclusive:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/17/sonic-boom-games-coming-japan-sonic-toon/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The article doesn't specifically mention it, but Marza are the studio who do the CG for the games, including Night of the Werehog and all of the various intros and endings, so if nothing else the characters should be superbly animated.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Astro Nut posted:

So uh, so much for Boom being some kind of Western exclusive:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/17/sonic-boom-games-coming-japan-sonic-toon/
Not releasing the game in Japan was a stupid idea anyway. Almost as stupid as calling the game Sonic Toon.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

J-Spot posted:

Almost as stupid as calling the game Sonic Toon.

Pfff. TOONS.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

J-Spot posted:

Not releasing the game in Japan was a stupid idea anyway. Almost as stupid as calling the game Sonic Toon.

Well, it's not like more than 5 people in Japan actually play Sonic games.
I've met one Japanese person that played a Sonic game and it was like 5 minutes of Secret Rings. Everyone there knows Sonic as Sega's mascot but no one plays the games.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hasn't Sonic always been more popular in the west? I remember reading that somewhere.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The only video games anyone plays in Japan these days are various niche genres of anime games because the number of 18 and under children has been declining for like 30 years straight. There's no-one to play them. Also, they really like phone games for some reason

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 19, 2014

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011
Well, Japan has a huge mobile phone culture. They had workable cell phone games before the advent of the smartphone.

The only "pure" gaming consoles most Japanese people play currently are the handheld consoles such as the 3DS and the Vita. Yes the even the Vita is more popular there than the PS4.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

Well, Japan has a huge mobile phone culture. They had workable cell phone games before the advent of the smartphone.

The only "pure" gaming consoles most Japanese people play currently are the handheld consoles such as the 3DS and the Vita. Yes the even the Vita is more popular there than the PS4.

I remember reading about the Kingdom Hearts mobile game coming out in Japan with 3D graphics and similar gameplay to the console stuff and at the time I just stared at my old Trium WAP or whatever like :catstare:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I remember reading about the Kingdom Hearts mobile game coming out in Japan with 3D graphics and similar gameplay to the console stuff and at the time I just stared at my old Trium WAP or whatever like :catstare:

At least they're not keeping Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy Agito to themselves. For some reason, DQVIII's portrait mode only, and doesn't have the orchestral music and voice acting added to the international versions.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

At least they're not keeping Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy Agito to themselves. For some reason, DQVIII's portrait mode only, and doesn't have the orchestral music and voice acting added to the international versions.

My guess is that the music took up a hell of a lot of space and was thus omitted.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/archie_announces_sonic_boom_comic_book_series_to_accompany_games_and_animated_show

So Archie is, as you'd somewhat expect, releasing a comic book to go with the new games as well.

I really should update the front page at some point.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

And some new characters as well.

This is actually starting to remind me more of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger than anything else.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jesus that's a lot of new Sonic friends.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It looks like a mix of Looney Tunes and Disney; the doctor and Fred look like Goofy, Perci looks like Lola Bunny. They don't seem entirely terrible, but they scream bit-part characters. They don't have the distinctive design of, say, the Archie cast, or even old Sonic cast-offs like Bark and Nack/Fang.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Jesus that's a lot of new Sonic friends.

Not really? They just look like generic side-characters, the kind of characters who would just be some human in the Adventure series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The main question it brings to my mind is how exactly the whole ancient valley thing is meant to work. Like, at first it seemed like something that Sonic and Co randomly discovered/unearthed in their travels. Then Sticks came along, someone stranded in a remote location and going a bit crazy for it. Fine, whatever.

Now there's... a whole village? Is it in the valley? Outside, but nearby? I mean, the old guy apparently knows about Lyric and stuff, so...

• Locked thread