Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is 'stockpile' going to be the end tier tech for 'place to put stuff' or are there plans for, I don't know, a storehouse or something? While it functions just fine, I get leery at the idea of all that food just sitting out on a pile in the elements. Maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is 'stockpile' going to be the end tier tech for 'place to put stuff' or are there plans for, I don't know, a storehouse or something? While it functions just fine, I get leery at the idea of all that food just sitting out on a pile in the elements. Maybe that's just me.

After half my village walks on my open-air raw meat stacks and cabbage crates I kind of like watching dodos and aurochs pick at and then step all over my carefully hoarded foodpiles. The Empire's FDA is waaaay more lax about food prep than America's. And it's more fun than watching my workers placing object after object onto the same spot over and over in some sort of Non-Euclidean OCD Hell-Matryushka Of Storage instead of all the helpfully empty spots I carefully zoned out for you RIGHT NEXT TO IT, you COLONIALIST DWEEBS.

edit: Actually now that I think about it I wouldn't mind having a Clear Area command for looted but unstored stuff. Sometimes after gathering baskets of stuff will just sort of lie out there forever forgotten until some naturalist or militia waypoint finds it again. It can be punishment detail for the unskilled or overly-lazy. Or maybe a busywork job where somebody has to clean up and organize the storage areas; just walking stuff back and forth between piles until object types are better segregated and the CHAOS leaves his DREAMS.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 21, 2014

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

ThaGhettoJew posted:

until object types are better segregated and the CHAOS leaves his DREAMS.

Unfortunately it's more like a door-to-door missionary, once you invite it in it never leaves

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I don't get why the foraging party doesn't just bring things back. If their job is to gather berries, that doesn't usually mean 'put it in a basket, drop basket, wander off to cry about things'.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I still don't understand why my colonists devour an entire crate of preserves for dinner.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I still don't understand why my colonists devour an entire crate of preserves for dinner.

It's great when a cook brings out a crate of preserves, sets it down, waits a moment before picking it back up, and then shoves the entire thing into their face and it disappears.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

BobTheJanitor posted:

It'd be nice to set stockpiles to only accept certain categories of items so you could have specialized ones close to production buildings.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
how do i order my mans to kill all of these aurochs that are just walking around disrupting business

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

jsoh posted:

how do i order my mans to kill all of these aurochs that are just walking around disrupting business

This was bothering me too, but apparently if you go to your Work Crews window, find a military squad (I usually pick a one-man squad) and enabled the "Hunting" job with the icons at the right side of the work crew entry, eventually that crew will go shoot the animals. I had 10+ aurochs and dodos chilling in the middle of my village and then my military guy came around and painted everything bloody.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Koobze posted:

This was bothering me too, but apparently if you go to your Work Crews window, find a military squad (I usually pick a one-man squad) and enabled the "Hunting" job with the icons at the right side of the work crew entry, eventually that crew will go shoot the animals. I had 10+ aurochs and dodos chilling in the middle of my village and then my military guy came around and painted everything bloody.

Doesn't actually have to be a military squad, any work crew can do this. Apparently every colonist is packing heat, but they're all afraid to use it against fishmen. Only against 800 pounds of angry cattle with horns on the end, that's not intimidating at all.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Not all of them, just the ones who are hunting. I usually set a barber to hunt, it just makes sense.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

Doesn't actually have to be a military squad, any work crew can do this. Apparently every colonist is packing heat, but they're all afraid to use it against fishmen. Only against 800 pounds of angry cattle with horns on the end, that's not intimidating at all.

Turning it on for a non-military was definitely more entertaining - the quiet, unassuming leader of my farm crew threw down her cabbage, whipped out a gun from nowhere, and started blasting every bovine interloper in sight.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I guess someone is working on a Star Wars mod??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If your colonists get tired and can't find a bed they will fashion one out of an aurochs.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Modding has born strange and unusual fruit.

This can't end well. :stonk:

Adding in taverns appears to have the interesting effect of people using it like a meeting hall in Dwarf Fortress. Not sure if this was intended or not. Seems like it also removed the influence of cults entirely by virtue of people socializing. In the two or three games I ran with public houses/taverns in I didn't get overrun with people praising dark forces or wallowing in misery simply because everyone was so happy to gossip and look at portraits on their off hours.

Also, I couldn't give my peasants booze since apparently the recipe for making copper pipes is busted. You can see the unfinished keg of booze in a corner there. I can make the ingot in the refinery, but then when the ingot is taken to the next workshop to create the pipes the artisan just takes it back to the stockpile. I assume some part of that recipe is broken since other ones work just fine.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 21, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Archonex posted:

Adding in taverns appears to have the interesting effect of people using it like a meeting hall in Dwarf Fortress. Not sure if this was intended or not. Seems like it also removed the influence of cults entirely by virtue of people socializing. In the two games I ran I didn't get overrun with people praising dark forces or wallowing in misery simply because everyone was so happy to gossip and look at portraits on their off hours.

Yeah, I believe cults happen when people are unhappy (which is why most of us get them very quickly). If I recall, people will organize and have parties at the public house even, although I'm not sure to what degree that code currently works or is on the Implemented Soon list.

quote:

Also, I couldn't give my peasants booze since apparently the recipe for making copper pipes is busted. You can see the unfinished tub of booze in a corner there. I can make the ingot in the refinery, but then when the ingot is taken to the next workshop to create the pipes the artisan just takes it back to the stockpile. I assume some part of that recipe is broken since other ones work just fine.

Make sure you report that on the bugs forum, I don't think it's a known issue. Some other recipes have broken in similar ways and it usually doesn't take too long for the Gaslamp crew to fix that sort of thing once someone reports it. Although for now you could get more pipes via supply drop.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I believe cults happen when people are unhappy (which is why most of us get them very quickly). If I recall, people will organize and have parties at the public house even, although I'm not sure to what degree that code currently works or is on the Implemented Soon list.

From what I can tell, without modding them in there's currently no way to reliably make people happy. Hence why everyone starts breaking down sobbing eventually. This means that every town is kind of a ticking time bomb until it goes full cult without a bit of modding work going on to fix that.

Probably also why the Seeds of Quaggaroth event is currently disabled by default in the XML files. Along with the associated AI. Since it appears that otherwise you'd have to worry about an elder god devouring the place due to all the misery about.

By the way, that event appears to work. Though I got an error at the start of every village saying that the elder god couldn't find anything to attack. Presumably because it was stuck in some sort of un-dimension due to not being summoned yet. :v:

I also added in graveyards to bury bodies, which probably helped a lot. They generate a single script error but you can ignore it with no issues. Probably should have gotten a picture of the fairly large graveyard I set up just by hunting down fishmen near the settlement.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/monday-hotfix-postponed-to-tuesday-and-where-to-get-news.8639/

quote:

Hi folks!

We were hoping to get a hotfix up today, but after finding an issue with the job system that's causing a few of the symptoms described in your posts, we're pushing it back til tomorrow to sort it out.

Hotfixes are generally unscheduled patches to follow any release where there may be minor issues with the code that cause serious issues for players. There isn't any new feature code planned at the moment for this patch, and issues that require more substantial fixes (like the farm overlapping bug we have right now) are too big to be fixed in hotfixes like this. We're still very much planning on fixing them, it'll just take us some time to get them resolved.

Generally speaking, updates on patches and features will be posted here on the forums, larger less frequent news posts will go to our blog as well.

If you want all the updates, we are starting to tweet short updates on the twitter account @ClockwrkEmpires (for game specific updates).

If you want all the information about the goings-on at Gaslamp, you can also follow our company account at @GaslampGames where we tweet bad puns on and talk about Taco Tuesday.

Thanks for all your help!

Daniel

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
So fleeing colonials like to head toward some sort of safe point at which point they calm the heck down, perhaps doing a happy little "I'm not fleeing" dance. The down side for them is when a fishiedude finds that spot and decides to hang out there for a bit while a line of perfectly calm colonists stand around complacently being slashed to bits one at a time. If no attack icon pops up and your idle militia don't spot them, a single crafty Deep One can plow steadily through your busy workgroups in a workmanlike manner and make your jobs list into dodo droppings. Those wily, unholy jerks.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

New hotfix up! Changelog here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/revision-27c-hotfix-up.8656/

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Change Log posted:

FIXED: laudanum bottle missing icon

Oh thank god, I don't think I could take another day in this god forsaken country without my tincture.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

You took out psychedelic maphack mode. :/

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Archonex I hope you backed up the data files because quite a bit of the non-enabled hidden goodies are out in this patch.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Here's another filthy foreigner with a filthy 'ö' in his username not beeing able to start the game. Funnily enough, an empty "Clockwork Empires"-folder has been created in my umlaut-containing user directory, anyway.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Still can't really figure out why colonists forage for things and then fling them on the ground and forget about them. Pick up that basket of fish eggs and take them back to the stockpile, you lazy bum! Also not entirely sure how to encourage them to saw up the wood that I asked for 3 days ago. They prefer to just wander around moping about how they have to sleep on the floor, rather than produce any of the raw materials for the cots that they yearn for.

Should I just not be constantly trying to forage ALL the things? Is that confusing them with so many tasks so that they never get around to delivering goods or making things? Or do work parties require more micro-management in the form of unchecking all the types of tasks except the one you really want done? Or am I just expecting too much streamlining out of the earliest access build? It's that last one, isn't it?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I can't place buildings without crashing but oh well, we'll see what happens after the next patch.

Also, I love China Mieville and all but the final world map probably shouldn't scream that it's a slightly altered Rohagi. (Or scream at all, it's very loud. Is this WAD?)

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

BobTheJanitor posted:

Still can't really figure out why colonists forage for things and then fling them on the ground and forget about them. Pick up that basket of fish eggs and take them back to the stockpile, you lazy bum! Also not entirely sure how to encourage them to saw up the wood that I asked for 3 days ago. They prefer to just wander around moping about how they have to sleep on the floor, rather than produce any of the raw materials for the cots that they yearn for.

Should I just not be constantly trying to forage ALL the things? Is that confusing them with so many tasks so that they never get around to delivering goods or making things? Or do work parties require more micro-management in the form of unchecking all the types of tasks except the one you really want done? Or am I just expecting too much streamlining out of the earliest access build? It's that last one, isn't it?

Jobs are completed in the order they are issued so if you order 200 bushes to be foraged and then 200 trees to be chopped and then a house to be built they will try and forage all 200 bushes first, then chop all 200 trees all while complaining they have nowhere to sleep. So order things as you need them or at least don't order tons of things you don't need, at least for now.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I can't place buildings without crashing but oh well, we'll see what happens after the next patch.

Also, I love China Mieville and all but the final world map probably shouldn't scream that it's a slightly altered Rohagi. (Or scream at all, it's very loud. Is this WAD?)

Ugh. Is this new? Can you send all the relevant information (dumps, consoles, etc.) to me on our forums, please? That, in particular, isn't something that should be happening.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

What the hell is that a map of?

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Pretty sure that's a fan map rather than an official map... it's not in any of the books.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

TheLoneAmigo posted:

Pretty sure that's a fan map rather than an official map... it's not in any of the books.

Great, Gaslamp isn't stealing from Bas-Lag they're stealing fanfiction about it. I bet next update adds an event where your colonists act out gaslamp's favorite Bas-Lag slash fiction.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

BobTheJanitor posted:

They prefer to just wander around moping about how they have to sleep on the floor, rather than produce any of the raw materials for the cots that they yearn for.

Ha, my people got you beat. They were too lazy to chop wood so they just decided to beat the system and slept anyways. Maybe if they had not spent extra wood on building a double-door this wouldn't have happened.

Also Uriah Steelsteamburn in the message box there is starving despite there being food because he is perpetually stuck trying to forage a cattle skull that is stuck half in a wall so he can't reach and just perpetually stands there facing the wrong direction and waving his arms madly at nothing. He dies shortly after the screenshot and another person comes to fulfill his place, now being both trapped and upset that they are near a corpse.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 23, 2014

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

TheLoneAmigo posted:

Mieville made two pencil-drawn maps: one of New Crobuzon that was put into Perdido Street Station, and one of Rohagi that he gave to some magazine or other. I look at the Clockwork map and can't unsee a shrunken Cold Claw Sea hook, a vertically squashed Meagre Sea, New Crobuzon's inflated sense of geographical self-worth, and what can't be anything but the Firewater Straits and the Witchocracy. Bered Kai Nev and the Crobuzoner colonies were off to the unknown eastern continent, and somewhere to the south there's a third continent that never gets more than a mention. CE's map is distorted and shifted, but the relation of landmarks to each other is the same.

LtSmash posted:

Great, Gaslamp isn't stealing from Bas-Lag they're stealing fanfiction about it. I bet next update adds an event where your colonists act out gaslamp's favorite Bas-Lag slash fiction.
Hedrigall/Yagharek OTP.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What the hell is that a map of?

A terrible fantasy series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Orv posted:

A terrible fantasy series.

You either have bad taste in fantasy or ridiculously exacting taste in books overall.

And you're posting in the Anno: Steampunk thread so I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the former.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

LtSmash posted:

Jobs are completed in the order they are issued so if you order 200 bushes to be foraged and then 200 trees to be chopped and then a house to be built they will try and forage all 200 bushes first, then chop all 200 trees all while complaining they have nowhere to sleep. So order things as you need them or at least don't order tons of things you don't need, at least for now.

That explains it then. I was assuming there was some sort of priority system where none exists. Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't saw up logs, but continued to do things I'd ordered after asking for log sawing. But I think some other bug may be involved there.

Anyone know if there are eventual plans for box selection to issue one order to a group of things? Clicking ten trees in a row and then clicking chop is a bit fiddly for my taste.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Something I found very confusing on my first forays into game-play was that there don't appear to be any "self queuing" jobs. What I mean by this, is if I place a cot to be built, and have no planks, shouldn't the carpentry work shop queue up a unit of plank construction?

It wasn't until I was watching a game-play video where someone actually queued up food and planks from various workshops that I realized that the plank icon was actually a button.

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

First things first: I'd love to steal China Mieville's brain and use it to power ... something. Perhaps even everything. But I didn't steal his map. Possibly some of the thinking behind the two is similar, but that's it.

Here's a (super downsized) version of the map I based the embark map on:

It's basically a flat-world map with a mirrored/distorted Bizarro Europe-analog on the left with an oversized British Isles-analog. At the bottom is Generic Bizarro Africa and on the right is Generic Bizarro North America.

This was originally a sketch for a Clockwork Empires worldmap merely to use as a concept piece, which I turned into a Dominions 3 map (which I abandoned because it'd play horribly), which I turned back into the map you see on the embarkation screen.

Right! Carry on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You either have bad taste in fantasy or ridiculously exacting taste in books overall.

And you're posting in the Anno: Steampunk thread so I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the former.

Actually I really enjoy his stuff, but I'm always happy to poo poo on his place names, because they are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
That logic definitely doesn't apply universally, I've definitely had buildings be built in a completely different order than I ordered them in, it probably has to do with the number of different jobs vs the number of work crews. And similarly I've had people put off making boards when it's the one kink in the pipe too, I guess if my boss told me to cut logs into planks using nothing but an axe I'd probably put it off too. It ceases to be an issue if I can get a carpentry shop up, but that ends up being a crapshoot unless it's the very first thing I make.

• Locked thread