Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Auto industry employees from GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the suppliers based in Novi/Wixom, as well as farmers. Farmers often have high net worth's even if their personal spending is low.

I completely expected that to be Oakland County but I guess Pontiac is pulling the rest of the county down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Call of Cholula posted:

I completely expected that to be Oakland County but I guess Pontiac is pulling the rest of the county down.

Yeah pontiac drives the overall per capita income down so you have the richest areas of the state not far from one of the poorer ones. Its still close to Livingston, just not meeting the threshold of the top 100 or whatever.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mustang posted:

That's a map of civilizations according to Samuel Huntington's "Clash of Civilizations."

The first thing of Huntington's I read was his piece about how scary Mexicans are, and now I can't take anything he's done seriously.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Call of Cholula posted:

My home town! *Celebration*

I miss that place. :smith:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

The first thing of Huntington's I read was his piece about how scary Mexicans are, and now I can't take anything he's done seriously.

I'm reading Clash of Civilizations right now. I've come to disagree with this thesis, but the book isn't bad. One of the first things he does is say that "civilizations" are not set in stone, its just one way of looking at the world. He acknowledges that there is overlap and grey areas, that you could argue for greater or fewer civilizations, that the idea doesn't apply well to the past and may not apply to the future, etc.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 22, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Count Roland posted:

He acknowledges that there is overlap and grey areas, that you could argue for greater or fewer civilizations, that the idea doesn't apply well to the past and may not apply to the future, etc.

So... it's pretty much only useful for grossly simplifying things and drawing arbitrary boundaries.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I really don't think there's any need to pay attention to somebody who calls the interior of Tang dynasty borders "sinic". And everything else wrong with that map. If you want "civilizations" just read Toynbee or something. He met Hitler once, he'd clearly be more informed.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Reading up on the Jesuits in the 30 years war and came across a fine map. It has the following text to accompany it:

quote:

The unholy Roman empire was a confederation of states that included Austria, Burgundy, Germany , Lombardy (northern Italy) and parts of France. Its founder was called Charles the Great or Charlemagne. He was crowned Emperor of this unholy empire by the Pope on Christmas day in the year 800 A.D.

This powerful confederacy was able to dominate Italy and keep that country divided. At the time of the 30 Years' War its northern capital was Vienna, Austria, and its southern capital was Rome.

This division gave the Popes the opportunity to form their own states called the states of the "church" or the patrimony of "St. Peter." By having their own states and customs, the Popes were able to ship gold and soldiers in and out of the Vatican without having to answer to the lawful Italian government.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Under 15 posted:

Reading up on the Jesuits in the 30 years war and came across a fine map. It has the following text to accompany it:

The Italian government. :allears:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

HEY GAL posted:

The Italian government. :allears:

The true Italian government, looking on helplessly from Constantinople!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TheBalor posted:

The true Italian government, looking on helplessly from Constantinople!
At this point, isn't the true Italian government Spain.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Why is Ireland labeled "Scotia"? Why are the Byzantine Empire, the Iberian Union, and the (Kingdom? Republic?) of Italy all listed, implying that they were extant at the same time? Since when was "Eastern Europe" united into one state, separate from Russia? :psyduck:

edit: Oops, it was the Roman name for Ireland. Never mind...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It was the Roman name for the people of Ireland and their language. It's only in the middle ages that the Gaelic languages started becoming dominant in what we now call Scotland.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

A map loaded with interstellar geo-politics!

Source and all the details

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I thought Hibernia was the Roman/Latin name for Ireland? I am aware that Scotland gets its name from the Scotti tribes of northern Ireland migrating across the North Channel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Count Roland posted:

I'm reading Clash of Civilizations right now. I've come to disagree with this thesis, but the book isn't bad. One of the first things he does is say that "civilizations" are not set in stone, its just one way of looking at the world. He acknowledges that there is overlap and grey areas, that you could argue for greater or fewer civilizations, that the idea doesn't apply well to the past and may not apply to the future, etc.
Yeah, my impression was that the guy was wrongheaded and pretty prejudiced but at least he had some intellectual honesty. The Red Baron of reactionary histories, perhaps.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 23, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah, my impression was that the guy was wrongheaded and pretty prejudiced but at least he had some intellectual honesty. The Red Baron of reactionary histories, perhaps.

I was never sure if he thought the development of the Davos Man was good or bad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Actually, if anything, those would be interplanetary geo-politics.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Muscle Tracer posted:

This reminds me why the Mars Trilogy was so great. Mars is a cool planet. You can clearly see Valles Marineris and Olympus Mons. And you can see Pavonis Mons and co. just southeast of Olympus Mons.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

PittTheElder posted:

It was the Roman name for the people of Ireland and their language. It's only in the middle ages that the Gaelic languages started becoming dominant in what we now call Scotland.

Gaelic was never dominant in Scotland. The actual Scots language spoken by the lowland Scots and thus most of the population was a Germanic language and was more similar to Middle English than the Nordic languages are to each other.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

Apparently Albania and Montenegro are Buddhist

Ah yes, the Western bastion of Kaliningrad, Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fabulous Knight posted:

Ah yes, the Western bastion of Kaliningrad, Russia.
On the coast of inner Baltic sea.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Are those EU3 tech groups?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
So, if I understand this map and the central thesis of the book, the only countries with internal conflicts are Nigeria, Chad, Sudan (well, not anymore) Tanzania, Kenya, possibly India, China, the Philippines (which are completely hosed), Guyana, Suriname, and France but only in French Guyana. Everywhere else has all the same 'civilization' within its borders and should be perfectly peaceful, because ideology is dead. Have I got it right?

made of bees fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 23, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Oh man they got the GIS database and everything!
Brb going to make some politically loaded mars maps. :getin:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Wouldn't we call that galacto-politics?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wouldn't we call that galacto-politics?
No, Mars is not galaxy.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's not interstellar either. Interplanetary geopolitics?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DarkCrawler posted:

It's not interstellar either. Interplanetary geopolitics?

Interplanetary Solar-politics.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I read it a while ago and it's not nearly as bad as some people seem to think it is. His main thesis is that conflicts in the post-Soviet world would tend to take place along cultural rather than ideological fault lines. His reasoning is occasionally simplistic and it's clear that he's writing from an American point of view throughout the book, but as a general model/prediction I'd say it's a lot less retarded than Fukuyama's The End of History and the Last Man.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Time for another round of "guess the export"!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mozzarella cheese?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Map request:

I'm looking for an up to date map of oil and natural gas pipelines in the middle east. A search turns up a ton, but I don't know what to trust.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm going to say wine.

e: map is set pre-1979 when Iran still produced wine

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

I'm going to say wine.

Maybe in 1978 but I don't Iran exports that much wine these days.

Could be grapes though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Phlegmish posted:

I'm going to say wine.

e: map is set pre-1979 when Iran still produced wine

computer parts posted:

Maybe in 1978 but I don't Iran exports that much wine these days.

Could be grapes though.

Ah man, I painted over that thing too. It's 2005 data, sorry 'bout that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

kalstrams posted:

Actually, if anything, those would be interplanetary geo-politics.

I guess what's politically loaded about this map is that you've all got such a geo-centric bias that you can't even consider the opinions of beings from other stars :colbert:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's definitely agricultural, since it's a more or less constant latitude range. It seems to be all in countries that have areas of mild winters and warm dry summers too. Grapes sounds good except there's so many countries that make grapes that aren't on there. I think it's gotta be some other fruit that does essentially the same environments as grapes but is less popular.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It can't be wine, Australia's wine industry is based on the west coast, and I don't think that New Zealand would make so much.

EDIT: Wait, maybe it is- I was going on the assumption that most of the wine there would be made on the west coast because that's the only part of the country with a Mediterranean climate.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Monkey Man posted:

It can't be wine, Australia's wine industry is based on the west coast, and I don't think that New Zealand would make so much.

These maps try to cluster around the capital city rather than the growing region.