Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HEY GAL posted:

No, she's the one with the exploding tower. Are you thinking of Agatha?

Oh, boy, that's so much better. =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the_chavi posted:

Oh, boy, that's so much better. =/
Which is why she's the patron saint of lightning; therefore jobs involving explosives; therefore ballistics; therefore math, physics, and military science. Therefore missile programs.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So who out there can tell me stuff about the Black Madonna?

Some years back I attended a lecture by Matthew Fox--the Catholic-turned-Episcopal priest who wrote about what he called Creation Spirituality--where he discussed the Green Man and Black Madonna. It was basically along the lines of this article, though in both cases, I'm honestly not clear on what he's talking about. I'm also a little wary, looking at the article, about divinizing Mary to the extent that he does.

I did find out about this particular Black Madonna, and I gotta say, I love that there's a Theotokos out there with battle scars.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Franciscan Church in Vienna has a madonna with an axe buried in its shoulder :black101: (supposedly the statue originally came from Bohemia, where Protestant iconoclasts tried to destroy it by fire. When that miraculously failed, they tried to smash it with an axe, but failed as well - the axe still remains)

e: I skimmed Fox's article, and to be honest, he sounds a little bit, uh, crazy. Also, calling Mary a "goddess" should be a big no-no in the Episcopal Church as well.

e2: Well, I guess it's less the shoulder and more the upper arm. But still :v:

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A question to all the Catholic goons: what do we know about the rites abolished by the Council of Trent? Do some of them still exist?

What do you think of them? A reader at my church said that there should only be two rites, Byzantine and Roman because those are the only ones chosen by God. I don't agree with it, but what do you think?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

A question to all the Catholic goons: what do we know about the rites abolished by the Council of Trent? Do some of them still exist?

What do you think of them? A reader at my church said that there should only be two rites, Byzantine and Roman because those are the only ones chosen by God. I don't agree with it, but what do you think?
We know a fair bit about them, lots of texts survive. I like them, since they reflect a high degree of regional variation--the rites and music were developed by these people, by these communities, for themselves. If God acts in our religious communities, why should It only act to produce two rites and then stop? (Also, your friend is forgetting all the Middle Eastern/Indian rites out there.)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HEY GAL posted:

We know a fair bit about them, lots of texts survive. I like them, since they reflect a high degree of regional variation--the rites and music were developed by these people, by these communities, for themselves. If God acts in our religious communities, why should It only act to produce two rites and then stop? (Also, your friend is forgetting all the Middle Eastern/Indian rites out there.)

He is of the opinion that if a rite was killed by a council, it shouldn't exist because God commanded it to not exist. His example is of the Celtic Rite, he thinks that no one should care about it or try to recreate it because if it was correct, it would still be in use today.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

He is of the opinion that if a rite was killed by a council, it shouldn't exist because God commanded it to not exist. His example is of the Celtic Rite, he thinks that no one should care about it or try to recreate it because if it was correct, it would still be in use today.
He better not also be an Old Calendarist, then.

Wait, what does he think about the Tridentine Rite, replaced in turn by another council?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HEY GAL posted:

He better not also be an Old Calendarist, then.

Wait, what does he think about the Tridentine Rite, replaced in turn by another council?

He isn't an Old Calendarist. He likes the Tridentine Rite and thinks that it is the true Catholic Rite because people still use it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

You mean like the Sarum rite, Ambrosian rite, et all? There are attempts to revive them every once in a while, but they don't seem to stick. Catholic priests who use Sarum only seem to do so on special occasions. I've never seen or heard it, myself. From my understanding, they're not so much different liturgies as they are different local styles of the Roman liturgy.

Sarum was also a major influence on Anglican liturgies, and occasionally you'll see Anglo-Catholics celebrating it here and there.

First time I've heard anything like what your reader is saying, though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Keromaru5 posted:

You mean like the Sarum rite, Ambrosian rite, et all? There are attempts to revive them every once in a while, but they don't seem to stick. Catholic priests who use Sarum only seem to do so on special occasions. I've never seen or heard it, myself. From my understanding, they're not so much different liturgies as they are different local styles of the Roman liturgy.

Sarum was also a major influence on Anglican liturgies, and occasionally you'll see Anglo-Catholics celebrating it here and there.

He says that he's quoting Fr. Alexander Schmemann. It's something about how we shouldn't be liturgical archaeologists because that leads to disunity in the church.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

He says that he's quoting Fr. Alexander Schmemann. It's something about how we shouldn't be liturgical archaeologists because that leads to disunity in the church.

Wait, Schmemann is an Orthodox theologian, is your friend also an Orthodox? How come this guy accepts Latin rite? As far as I know, all attempts by Orthodox Christians to use Latin/Western rite never were all that popular. I'm confused.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Paladinus posted:

Wait, Schmemann is an Orthodox theologian, is your friend also an Orthodox? How come this guy accepts Latin rite? As far as I know, all attempts by Orthodox Christians to use Latin/Western rite never were all that popular. I'm confused.

He's one of those "we're gonna reunify any day now!" guys.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
This guy's ideas seem incoherent. Begging_the_question.txt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Question for any Episcopalian goons: I dropped by a local Episcopalian church today to see their schedule of services, and one of their services is listed as a "Victory Service." I've never heard of this in the SBC - what is a Victory Service?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Smoking Crow posted:

IIRC, Trent only forbade rites with less than 200 years under their belt. Off the top of my head, till the sixties there were still special rites in Milan, Lyons, Greece, Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, and for the Dominicans and Carthusians.

I've seen a Dominican rite Mass. They have the offertory at the very beginning.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Hm. Put Schmemann's way (assuming that's accurate), it kind of makes a little sense. It can be easy to get too obsessed with reconstructing things as they surely must have been at first. Makes me think of DC's many reboots.

It's the idea that "That's the way God wanted it" that's throwing me off. Do Orthodox normally view post-schism Catholic councils as valid? Where does that put Vatican I and II?

Also, speaking of Schmemann: what's the difference between a priest, protopresbyter, and archpriest?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Keromaru5 posted:

Well, the Ambrosian rite is still alive and kicking, as it is practiced by about five million Catholics in parts of Northern Italy and Switzerland. Other (regional) rites and variations that still see continued and regular use are the Mozarabic Rite (two parishes in Toledo and a chapel of the Toledo Cathedral), the Anglican Use and the Zaire Use for Central Africa (with lots and lots and lots of dancing). The priests of the Portuguese Archdiocese of Braga are all authorised to celebrate Mass in the "Rite of Braga", but most prefer to use the Roman Rite instead. I think some orders have special rites (Dominicans?), but apart from them that's it, I think.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Question for any Episcopalian goons: I dropped by a local Episcopalian church today to see their schedule of services, and one of their services is listed as a "Victory Service." I've never heard of this in the SBC - what is a Victory Service?

I've never heard of such a thing before either. It might just be a special service for the day in question. In particular, it might be for VJ day if it's around the 3-9th of August.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jaramin posted:

I've never heard of such a thing before either. It might just be a special service for the day in question. In particular, it might be for VJ day if it's around the 3-9th of August.

I don't know - it was listed as "Victory Service - Wednesdays at 6:30 PM."

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

He isn't an Old Calendarist. He likes the Tridentine Rite and thinks that it is the true Catholic Rite because people still use it.

It's true because the church does it, and the church does it because it is true.

Can't find any faults in that logic, it forms a perfect circle with absolutely no gaps to exploit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

He's one of those "we're gonna reunify any day now!" guys.

So what does he think about many rites including non-Latin ones within the Catholic church then? Should all them be abandoned? It really makes little sense when a very ecumenically-minded person has objections to variety in liturgical live.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Smoking Crow posted:

That's not a Catholic position at all. I attend the Tridentine Rite, but you can't claim that it is the only true Catholic Rite. It is the rite for the Latins, just as the Byzantine Rite is the rite for the Greeks, etc. etc. The Tridentine Liturgy is not more "Catholic" than the Byzantine Liturgy, any more than Latin Catholics are more Catholic than Greek Catholics.

I hold different views about the Mass of Paul VI however.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For interested Orthogoons, there's going to be a passel of hierarchs from the Middle East in town in September. (Came across this today while I was at work and, shamefully, thought more about posting this here than immediate foreign policy implications for my job.)

http://www.idcsummit.org/

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I don't know - it was listed as "Victory Service - Wednesdays at 6:30 PM."

I've never heard of it either. Call their church office and ask, then report back here since I doubt I'm the only one who's curious about it now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PantlessBadger posted:

I've never heard of it either. Call their church office and ask, then report back here since I doubt I'm the only one who's curious about it now.

I intend to ask about it tomorrow. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PantlessBadger posted:

Trip report: the Episcopalian service was indistinguishable from the Lutheran service I visited. The "Victory Service" is just what this particular church calls their families-and-children oriented Wednesday night service.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Cythereal posted:

Trip report: the Episcopalian service was indistinguishable from the Lutheran service I visited. The "Victory Service" is just what this particular church calls their families-and-children oriented Wednesday night service.

Too true. :/

I actually have been going to the lutheran church here more often than the episcopal because goddammit, its closer to what i grew up in. (I grew up in a massive, high church, very WASPY (it was princeton, everyone is a WASP) very pomp and circumstance, big hymns, robes, cassocks and albs for everyone church). And here, the only thing close to it is the lutheran church. the episocopal one tries. it tries so hard. but it just doesnt have the membership to support that sort of a service, and the services are nearly indistinguishable outside of this particular church having much more of a prediliction for the apostle's creed over the nicean.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cythereal posted:

Trip report: the Episcopalian service was indistinguishable from the Lutheran service I visited.

The liturgy itself is going to seem pretty similar, yes. I think the biggest differences will have more to do with things like theology, biblical interpretation, ecumenical relations with other religious groups, and social positions. Even then, some of these denominations with differing theological traditions are actually in full communion with each other, which means a member of one denomination can take communion at any of the other denominations, and there are provisions for sharing clergy.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 27, 2014

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The liturgy itself is going to seem pretty similar, yes. I think the biggest differences will have more to do with things like theology, biblical interpretation, ecumenical relations with other religious groups, and social positions. Even then, some of these denominations with differing theological traditions are actually in full communion with each other, which means a member of one denomination can take communion at any of the other denominations, and there are provisions for sharing clergy.

At every Episcopal church I've been to, communion is open to all baptized Christians. Is ELCA not the same way? I only really have experience with Missouri, who are a bit...stricter.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

At every Episcopal church I've been to, communion is open to all baptized Christians. Is ELCA not the same way?

I'm not sure. ELCA is certainly not as strict as LCMS but I don't remember what the policy is. I don't even remember if they have a churchwide policy, or if some autonomy is given to synods/congregations on the issue.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm not sure. ELCA is certainly not as strict as LCMS but I don't remember what the policy is. I don't even remember if they have a churchwide policy, or if some autonomy is given to synods/congregations on the issue.

If I was to guess it's something similiar to the Finnish Lutheran Church. We are in communion with select churches only (all other Nordic/Baltic Lutherans and the Anglican Churches on the British Isles being the largest ones, I think) but absolutely no one is going to police it in individual cases and it's not really taught widely who we're in communion with.

e: In communion this case meaning that there's nothing stopping any of the said churches' priests or parishioners working/visiting in the other churches' masses.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 27, 2014

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I think "Full Communion" refers to not having to be received (that is, formally become a member) and being able to share clergy. I guess that means a Lutheran minister could serve at an Episcopal church, and vice versa; but a Catholic priest can't do so (or vice versa) without a formal conversion. When I took TEC inquirer's classes, I was told that some TEC bishops have even ordained Lutheran bishops, so the ELCA can have apostolic succession.

At the Orthodox church today, coffee hour was a birthday party for a 94-year-old parishioner. The Dormition Fast is coming up, and someone recommended the upcoming Paraklesis service.

Here's a fun question for everybody: what do they serve at your coffee hour?

At my childhood Catholic church, it was coffee and Krispy Kreme.
At the Episcopal churches I've been to, it'd usually be juice or punch (plus coffee, naturally) with various cookies, crackers, nuts, cheeses, hors d'oeuvres, stuff like that.
At the Orthodox church so far, it's been pound cakes some weeks, croissants other weeks, depending on who's volunteering, and what I'm pretty sure is leftover antidoron.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll take a crack at this one from all the churches I've visited down here.

Southern Baptist megachurch: granola bars, orange juice, lovely coffee.
Non-denominational Protestant church 1: pop-tarts, coffee cake, coffee.
Small Baptist church: small mountain of publix bakery items, coffee.
Lutheran church: random homemade sweets, donuts, homemade lemonade, really good coffee (coffee hour doubled as bible study for the whole church - it was that small).
Non-denominational Protestant church 2: dunkin donuts, coffee, orange juice.
Methodist church: homemade banana nut bread, dunkin donuts, coffee, orange juice.
Episcopalian church: coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, coffee, orange juice.

And Southern Baptist church I grew up in: dunkin donuts, coffee, orange juice.

Overall: The Lutheran church wins coffee hour/fellowship, hands-down.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 27, 2014

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

My parish doesn't have a coffee hour :smith:

Actually, most of the parishes I've visited in Texas haven't. There's cookies and juice after the Extraordinary Form Mass I attend sometimes, but that's the only exception I can remember.

Some Sundays, the Knights of Columbus sell breakfast tacos, but that's it. (Well, and the LifeTeen Mass has a teen fellowship afterwards, but that doesn't really count.)

My parents' parish (in Montana) has coffee, Tang, and donuts from a local bakery, but only for the Masses actually on Sunday - the Saturday vigil Mass doesn't get anything.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Keromaru5 posted:

I think "Full Communion" refers to not having to be received (that is, formally become a member) and being able to share clergy. I guess that means a Lutheran minister could serve at an Episcopal church, and vice versa; but a Catholic priest can't do so (or vice versa) without a formal conversion. When I took TEC inquirer's classes, I was told that some TEC bishops have even ordained Lutheran bishops, so the ELCA can have apostolic succession.

At the Orthodox church today, coffee hour was a birthday party for a 94-year-old parishioner. The Dormition Fast is coming up, and someone recommended the upcoming Paraklesis service.

Here's a fun question for everybody: what do they serve at your coffee hour?

At my childhood Catholic church, it was coffee and Krispy Kreme.
At the Episcopal churches I've been to, it'd usually be juice or punch (plus coffee, naturally) with various cookies, crackers, nuts, cheeses, hors d'oeuvres, stuff like that.
At the Orthodox church so far, it's been pound cakes some weeks, croissants other weeks, depending on who's volunteering, and what I'm pretty sure is leftover antidoron.

At Orthodox churches, the antidoron has to be distributed amongst the public. If the priest is unusually poor, then he may keep the antidoron for himself.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Keromaru5 posted:

The part about Episcopal bishops participating in ELCA bishop installations is accurate. Officially, the ELCA doesn't make a claim to apostolic succession, but the Episcopal Church does, and it was a stumbling block when it came to being in full communion. For the Episcopal Church, not being in the apostolic succession would be a complete non-starter with regards to sharing clergy who were ordained by the ELCA. For the ELCA, the concept of apostolic succession is difficult to reconcile with the concept of the priesthood of all believers.

To walk that fine line, an agreement was reached that an Episcopal bishop would be present at every ELCA bishop installation, to bring the bishop into the apostolic succession. That way, every ordination the bishop performed afterwards would bring that pastor into apostolic succession. When those pastors eventually become bishops, they won't need Episcopal bishops at their installations, and after a few decades, all ELCA pastors will be under apostolic succession as far as the Episcopal Church is concerned.

I don't know if there was any fallout in the Episcopal Church, but angered enough ELCA churches that a bunch broke off and formed Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC). These days, they seem to be an association for churches that don't like how liberal the ELCA has become, but have issues with the Missouri or Wisconsin synods (either doctrinally or historically).

Edit: Forgot about coffee hour. My ELCA church does coffee and homemade bars most of the time.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 27, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Azathoth posted:

The part about Episcopal bishops participating in ELCA bishop installations is accurate. Officially, the ELCA doesn't make a claim to apostolic succession, but the Episcopal Church does, and it was a stumbling block when it came to being in full communion. For the Episcopal Church, not being in the apostolic succession would be a complete non-starter with regards to sharing clergy who were ordained by the ELCA. For the ELCA, the concept of apostolic succession is difficult to reconcile with the concept of the priesthood of all believers.

To walk that fine line, an agreement was reached that an Episcopal bishop would be present at every ELCA bishop installation, to bring the bishop into the apostolic succession. That way, every ordination the bishop performed afterwards would bring that pastor into apostolic succession. When those pastors eventually become bishops, they won't need Episcopal bishops at their installations, and after a few decades, all ELCA pastors will be under apostolic succession as far as the Episcopal Church is concerned.

Actually, there is some kind of option for new ELCA pastors who object to the Apostolic thing, where their ordination ceremony is slightly different. I don't remember all the details, though.

quote:

I don't know if there was any fallout in the Episcopal Church, but angered enough ELCA churches that a bunch broke off and formed Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC). These days, they seem to be an association for churches that don't like how liberal the ELCA has become, but have issues with the Missouri or Wisconsin synods (either doctrinally or historically).

The LCMC didn't really take off until 2009 :gay:

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
In my ACC parish, we have banana bread, cheese and grapes with tea and coffee with the BCP service. On occasion well have some other kind of home baked goods like muffins or cookies.

At the larger BAS service, there usually ends up being coffee, tea and juice along with store bought cookies and on occasion cakes.

There only real differences between them are fewer people (35-50) attend the BCP service so it's easier to have home made goodies and there's less demand for Juice as there aren't any children, whereas the second service has childcare and thus children at the coffee time who want Juice and store bought cookies since of the 225 or so people who attend that service about 75-100 end up at coffee time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

At every Episcopal church I've been to, communion is open to all baptized Christians. Is ELCA not the same way? I only really have experience with Missouri, who are a bit...stricter.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

From a little internet research, I get the gist that there's definitely variance among ELCA Lutherans from church to church. My ELCA Church has this to say on the matter:

quote:

Holy Communion is a sacrament. God is truly present in, with, and under, the bread and wine. Through these common gifts, God imparts the extraordinary gifts of grace and forgiveness. When we partake in the Lord's Supper, we are not only personally strengthened in faith; our eyes are opened to the needs of our neighbors, and we are all the more ready to serve those in need. We welcome all the baptized - regardless of age or church membership-to the Lord's Table and partake in Holy Communion at each of our Sunday worship services.
Most of the above statement and both of the bolded quotes in particular are included in a little box on the worship bulletin right above Communion, with the term "real presence" also used. So if I'm right, (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) using what I've learned from this thread, my church believes in Transubstantiation (E: nope, apparently I'm hilariously, horribly wrong), and also welcomes anyone who has been baptized (so, most/all flavors of Protestants, and I think Catholics and Eastern Orthodox would be allowed as well) to Communion. Cool.

Also for actual communion, we use both normal and Gluten-free Wafers, and Common Cup, Intinction in wine, and Intinction in grape juice. Occasionally, we'll use a set-up of eating the Eucharist followed by wine/grape juice delivered in little tiny plastic cups (a church I attended previously would also use the same setup on occasion, except the tiny cups were glass rather than plastic):

Pretty much exactly this, with the center eight cups filled with grape juice instead of wine.

So, have my and/or my church's beliefs given Jedi Knight Luigi a coronary yet?:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread