Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It used swarthy in a sentence in a manner befitting the use of the word swarthy. I am 100% ok with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Anyone else surprised that Krum is still playing World Cup level quidditch? Dude's almost 40.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joose Caboose posted:

Anyone else surprised that Krum is still playing World Cup level quidditch? Dude's almost 40.

Peyton Manning is ~38 and he's not exactly in the lowest impact sport either.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

Peyton Manning is ~38 and he's not exactly in the lowest impact sport either.

And that's without magical healing available.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Also wizards live longer, Dumbledore was about 150 when he died.

edit: or 115, whatever, I dont know, JKR isn't exactly known for consistency.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 10, 2014

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Xachariah posted:

Also wizards live longer, Dumbledore was about 150 when he died.

edit: or 115, whatever, I dont know, JKR isn't exactly known for consistency.

I got the impression he was pulling a Rocky IV and coming out of retirement for 'one more chance at the gold' or whatever.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I wish they would just rename it Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for future US releases

Yes. Although maybe then they'd be afraid that they all think it's a new book.

It's probably quite childish of me but I always frustrates me to no end when I see it called the "Sorceror's Stone". Because the Philosopher's Stone is an actual thing (or idea, at least), it's a historical reference!
A question for american readers - do they change the name in the text as well or just in the title?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Laverna posted:

A question for american readers - do they change the name in the text as well or just in the title?

It is Sorcerer's Stone in the text, as well. Same for throughout the movie.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

It is Sorcerer's Stone in the text, as well. Same for throughout the movie.

Bummer.
Did you notice that when you first read it? Did it make a difference? I know that when I read the first book I knew about the philosopher's stone so I would have been a bit confused by it having a different name.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Laverna posted:

Bummer.
Did you notice that when you first read it? Did it make a difference? I know that when I read the first book I knew about the philosopher's stone so I would have been a bit confused by it having a different name.

Personally, I was five when I read the US version of the book, and had never heard of the philosopher's stone. Honestly, it was a magical MacGuffin and the name really didn't matter all that much. I'm really just interested in how much someone got paid to read through the book and Americanize 20 or 30 words.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Laverna posted:

Bummer.

I was 10 or 11 when I first read it, I don't think I was aware of the Philosopher's Stone before Harry Potter. And I bought the US version at a Book Fair on a whim, and then eventually got a hardcover copy of the UK version a bit later to go with the rest of the set. So it didn't effect me when I first read it, but once I found out that they had changed it for US markets, it did annoy me.

JohnSherman posted:

I'm really just interested in how much someone got paid to read through the book and Americanize 20 or 30 words.

And they didn't just change Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone... apparently they also Americanized some words, like changing jumper to sweater, or trousers to pants. Thankfully, I think they only did that for the first book.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 23, 2014

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

I was 10 or 11 when I first read it, I don't think I was aware of the Philosopher's Stone before Harry Potter. And I bought the US version at a Book Fair on a whim, and then eventually got a hardcover copy of the UK version a bit later to go with the rest of the set. So it didn't effect me when I first read it, but once I found out that they had changed it for US markets, it did annoy me.

I remember the Goblet of Fire being released so I can't have been older than 8 when I read the first book. Honestly I have no idea how I knew about it, it was just an idea that was familiar to me at the time.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I was someone who read Sorcerer's Stone being aware of the concept of the philosopher's stone. Honestly it didn't seem like a big deal at the time. The fact that it was changed for American audiences is pretty silly, but at the time I was unaware of that and thought it was just changed to make it fit into the setting better.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

What irks me more is that some places show Sorceror's Stone as the default, rather than the also known as.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

It doesn't make sense, it's not like UK children knew what the philosopher's stone is either. Or even what a philosopher is. It's not a common phrase and it's not taught at all. But it is a "real thing" so maybe they'll look it up and learn something. Maybe they'll be excited that there's a real historical link with between Harry Potter and... historical folklore.

Seems like someone at the US publisher just wanted to change things to justify their own job.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Xachariah posted:

It doesn't make sense, it's not like UK children knew what the philosopher's stone is either. Or even what a philosopher is. It's not a common phrase and it's not taught at all. But it is a "real thing" so maybe they'll look it up and learn something. Maybe they'll be excited that there's a real historical link with between Harry Potter and... historical folklore.

Seems like someone at the US publisher just wanted to change things to justify their own job.

It's more that US audiences in 1997 equated Sorcerers with Magic and Philosophers with Socrates.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

geeves posted:

It's more that US audiences in 1997 equated Sorcerers with Magic and Philosophers with Socrates.

And British audiences didn't in equal measure? :confused: The decision is really indefensible; if you take away all the bullshit spin it boils down to "we need to make your book stupider for American audiences because American audiences are stupider", and as a patriotic American that seriously offends me. :911:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

geeves posted:

Haha yeeeeah, in the UK in 1997 philosophers were well known for using magic. :wtc:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

LaughMyselfTo posted:

And British audiences didn't in equal measure? :confused: The decision is really indefensible; if you take away all the bullshit spin it boils down to "we need to make your book stupider for American audiences because American audiences are stupider", and as a patriotic American that seriously offends me. :911:

I should have mentioned that Scholastic thought poorly of American kids.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I think it might have had more to do with Scholastic having no control over what the book was called in the UK but being of the opinion that putting "Philosopher" in your children's book title is less immediately attractive to kids than "Sorcerer". They may even be right, but obviously Harry Potter isn't a good test - the first book could be called Harry Potter and the Boring Nonsense and people would still read it now given that the series as a whole has become so wildly popular. Given that I think it's a little silly for the US version to retain "Sorcerer" at this time.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
Nice sorcerer av, Jazerus.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

They probably just wanted to get something magicy in the title.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Chamber of Magic
Prisoner of Wizard Jail
Cup of Fire
Magical Order of the Phoenix
Mixed Race Prince
Oh christ what do we do with Deathly Hallows oh god

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Szmitten posted:

Magical Order of the Firebird
Sacred Objects

ftfy

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Szmitten posted:

Chamber of Magic
Prisoner of Wizard Jail
Cup of Fire
Magical Order of the Phoenix
Mixed Race Prince
Oh christ what do we do with Deathly Hallows oh god

Hidden Room of Magic.
Escaped Convict of Wizard Prison.
Trophy of Magic Flames.
Club of the Mythical Firebird.
Magical Notebook of the Half Human Wizard.
Magical Objects of Deadly Powers.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

geeves posted:

I should have mentioned that Scholastic thought poorly of American kids.

Rowling had to go by her first two initials because Scholastic thought boys wouldn't read a book by a "...girl" (because apparently girls don't read). Yeah, they weren't too bright back then and thankfully HP blowing the gently caress up made them re-think their ways.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The "conventional" wisdom is that girls read both boys' and girls' books, while boys don't read girls' books. I don't know how true that was, but it's probably not true now after Harry Potter and the Hunger Games.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Justin Godscock posted:

Yeah, they weren't too bright back then and thankfully HP blowing the gently caress up made them re-think their ways.

I'm sure Harry Potter blowing up had nothing to do with the way the book was marketed. :rolleyes:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Justin Godscock posted:

Rowling had to go by her first two initials because Scholastic thought boys wouldn't read a book by a "...girl" (because apparently girls don't read). Yeah, they weren't too bright back then and thankfully HP blowing the gently caress up made them re-think their ways.

K.A.Applegate too.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
did Scholastic make her use her initials? Wasn't it J.K Rowling in the first UK edition too?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey, take a look at the new Bloomsbury covers for the UK editions:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/gallery/2014/jul/30/new-harry-potter-covers-revealed

In which Harry is a 13-year old anime character for the entire series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hedrigall posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/gallery/2014/jul/30/new-harry-potter-covers-revealed

Looks more like Secrets of Droon than anime.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Harry looks like a girl on those book covers. I always wondered if the Potter series would have been just as popular if Harry had been a girl rather than a boy.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Harry also seems to not age at all on those covers.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

bobjr posted:

Harry also seems to not age at all on those covers.

I rather like the art and coloring except for that rather jaring problem. It looks fine on the year one and even the year two cover, but tiny 11 year old Harry in Deathly Hallows is weird.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I also like how they made sure to put a giant spoiler on the covers of both Chamber and Prisoner.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Justin Godscock posted:

I also like how they made sure to put a giant spoiler on the covers of both Chamber and Prisoner.

Everyone's already read the books.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zachol posted:

Good thing there haven't been any new people born since they came out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

zachol posted:

Not to mention there was a semi-spoiler on PoA's original UK/Canadian cover anyway.

• Locked thread