Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

illrepute posted:

Holy poo poo, is he a reptilian or something?

See that's just another example of anti-lizard people bigotry that is endemic in our society.

So what if some politicians are lizard people? Maybe that's a good thing.

For anyone who doesn't like Oliver because he's yelling, his podcast with Andy Zaltzman has less shouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Talmonis posted:

I don't know, I think Stewart is great. It's really the only cable news show I can stand to watch, and he's a large part of that.

Also his show seems like a great way to give new talent some great exposure.

But yeah, Last Week Tonight is simply amazing television.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tony Abbott? He's Liberal right?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Tony Abbott? He's Liberal right?

Yeah. Australia just can't kick the Abbott.

Also, if I'm not wearing my glasses I can't distinguish him from Tony Blair.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
He's Liberal, which is a slightly more moderate version of the Republican party.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah. Australia just can't kick the Abbott.

I personally think he bears an uncanny resemblance to Stockwell Day from the old Alliance party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

XyloJW posted:

He's Liberal, which is a slightly more moderate version of the Republican party.

Ah. Just. Like. Here. :owned:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

really, if you think about it, it doesn't really matter which soulless husk mammon decides to inhabit this decade. it's essentially still the same prince of hell.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

XyloJW posted:

is it? is it really?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

really, if you think about it, it doesn't really matter which soulless husk mammon decides to inhabit this decade. it's essentially still the same prince of hell.

They're both devout Catholics too, which always throws me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's more racist the US or Australia?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Who's more racist the US or Australia?
either. both. whatever.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

R. Mute posted:

is it? is it really?

From everything I've seen, Abbott is further right than the most of the rest of the Liberal party on a number of topics, whereas he'd fit right in with the Republicans. So yeah, I'd say the Liberal party is slightly more moderate than the Republicans.

Edit: still total bastards, but you know, scale.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Summer beer chat: Presidente is a crisp, refreshing pilsner with only the slightest aftertaste from literally being devised in honor of a brutal, tyrannical caudillo.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

in other terrible news, after about two months of negotiations, my hellhole of a country has finally managed to form both a flemish and a national government (the wallonian and brussels government were already formed a few weeks ago). in a move shocking nobody with half a brain, n-va - the flemish nationalist party - has dropped its demands for flemish autonomy which got them elected, so it can focus on its actual core business of killing the poor. once the flemish nationalism was off the table, the MR - the walloon liberal party - saw no more barriers to joining up with them to kill the poor. their flemish counterpart - the open vld - naturally joined in. the cd&v - the christian democrat party - didn't really worry about killing the poor. their leaders would've been fine with merely torturing them, but would've honestly accepted any offer as long as it got them in government.

on the flemish level, it's the same coalition but obvioulsy without the MR. here, the n-va and cd&v didn't even need the open vld, but they took 'em along anyway!

things that have been promised already: huge budget cuts literally everywhere. getting rid of government workers. looking at services provided by the government and determining which aren't necessary (read: all of them). the citizen will now be treated as a customer of the government - this is actually something they said and they're actually emphasising it everywhere. crackdowns on the unemployed. no more free public transport for the elderly. in fact, more expensive public transport for everyone! also, cut all the routes. (ps privatisation) actual honest to god entry exams for all higher education. more expensive water and electricity! moving from a system where immigrants have to put x amount of effort into "assimilating" to a system where they have to achieve certain results. this is worse than it sounds.

naturally, voka, the business interest group, has given the government a 17/20 for their plans. here it is, again, for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Warszawa posted:

Summer beer chat: Presidente is a crisp, refreshing pilsner with only the slightest aftertaste from literally being devised in honor of a brutal, tyrannical caudillo.

One of my local breweries in MO makes a blonde 'Float Trip Ale'. It is a great float trip beer. Although the tall boys don't fit into neck coozies very well.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

XyloJW posted:

From everything I've seen, Abbott is further right than the most of the rest of the Liberal party on a number of topics, whereas he'd fit right in with the Republicans. So yeah, I'd say the Liberal party is slightly more moderate than the Republicans.

Edit: still total bastards, but you know, scale.
i dunno, if i look at the 'what happened last month' in the auspol op... it's pretty bad. they're probably more british tory than republican, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Warszawa posted:

Here's the one I used: "You can miss literally every property question on the MBE and still pass in New York."

Not sure that's the best one to go with though.

Yeah, I'm doing the DC bar, so less of an option. This is also my second go at it- I passed the essay portion, but that means I have to hit the 133 scaled cutoff. Memorization ahoy!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that "there are no lawyer jobs at all :byodood: " meme I've been hearing true?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

zoux posted:

Is that "there are no lawyer jobs at all :by0dood: " meme I've been hearing true?

Yes, although not as much as it once was. The law market is undergoing major contraction right now, in part due to really unsustainable hiring and spending at the large firms, some of which have crashed. Employment statistics after law school graduation are still pretty dismal. You really have to know what area you're aiming for from the start, and get a great class rank and a bunch of resume builders to land a job with a firm these days. Thankfully, I'm getting a PhD and going into academia instead. The bar is mostly frosting (and a chance to increase my pay grade if I go to the federal government later).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Is that "there are no lawyer jobs at all :byodood: " meme I've been hearing true?

there are no jobs anywhere period, lawyers just have to pay quite a bit more than average before learning this

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Warszawa posted:

If anybody's in Montana, go see if the brewery up in Whitefish--Great Northern, I think--is doing that huckleberry hef again and if they are, ask them to send a couple cases to Portland if they can. Highlight of my trip last summer, right there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

The barley malt they use to make that is pretty decent. They used to send it through one of the ports I cover. Personally I'm not impressed with the final product, it has that slight bud lite rear end taste.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Does anyone else here ever have people constantly telling them to tone down their facebook statuses because of "professional contacts"?

It seems so pathetic to cowardly post milquetoast bullshit just because someone might deign to give you money at some juncture. It feels like the most American thing.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm getting to that cyclical point where I start questioning my morals and ethics and am searching out for stuff to ground me. I'm thinking about reading through Capital again, but someone feed me ideological pamphlets that will make me feel better. Things are just so lovely and I only have two beers left in the city.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I swear to gently caress I am going to strangle the next motherfucker that uses the word milquetoast.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Brawnfire posted:

Does anyone else here ever have people constantly telling them to tone down their facebook statuses because of "professional contacts"?

It seems so pathetic to cowardly post milquetoast bullshit just because someone might deign to give you money at some juncture. It feels like the most American thing.

I just do that to myself because almost everyone I know on facebook is just for family pics and also I don't think anybody seriously engages in debate there.

SA's my favorite place to read people throwing back and forth on issues and it's still not great here.

E. Also, if you want to be the guy who convinces people to give up their capital, you can't let them know you want to take away it all from them. So, that's a good reason to keep things sanitary that's professional I guess. Or whatever, facebook's worthless for real discussion.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Today's non-issue for zoux to rant about: "milquetoast" :ssh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I'm making it an issue.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, I'm doing the DC bar, so less of an option. This is also my second go at it- I passed the essay portion, but that means I have to hit the 133 scaled cutoff. Memorization ahoy!

Why aren't you taking NY or VA (besides gently caress wearing a suit to a two day exam in July in Virginia) and waiving? Though gently caress the D.C. Bar application for making me list every dorm I ever lived in.

zoux posted:

It's better than it used to be, but firms went really lean after 2008 when demand cratered and now demand is creeping back up, which is reflected in increased profits per partner and the partnerships don't seem eager to cut into that by expanding hiring. The fact that there's basically a lost generation of lawyers from 2008 to 2010 is resulting in a dearth of midlevel associates across firms, and the same profits per partner considerations are keeping compensation flat, so law jobs are effectively more work for the same or less pay than they used to be, but that's just one slice (albeit the slice that gets the most coverage by sites like Above the Law).

State and federal jobs are probably marginally better than they used to be but are so volatile with budget cuts and austerity and hiring freezes that it's a crapshoot.

Public interest jobs are there if you BYO funding via a fellowship, with some exceptions.

And of course, your competitiveness for these jobs is contingent on where you went to law school and how well you did there unless you've got backchannels which can help, and how far down a largely arbitrary bullshit ranking system you can go and remain "employable" for a given job is probably in flux.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 23, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I was watching some show and the subtitles had milquetoast as milk-toast. I don't know if that was some joke or what.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Oh I'm making it an issue.
what's the problem?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

Presidente is my favorite Mexico-and-below beer after Xingu. Central Americans really know how to make cheap light beachy pils.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

^^^ I had some Quilmes once and recall it wasn't bad, but I can't say I've actually had another beer from South America, so iunno.

kelvron posted:

One of my local breweries in MO makes a blonde 'Float Trip Ale'. It is a great float trip beer. Although the tall boys don't fit into neck coozies very well.

If you/they mean float trip as in float down a river in an inner tube, the only acceptable choice is cheap and dirty like proper river trash.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

http://forums.somethingawful.com/f/search/result?qid=2794469 :catstare:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

that link doesn't work

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you not have plat mate.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I've decided that I'm fed up with facebook friends posting pro-Israel stuff, which Latuff cartoon is the most persuasive?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Cannot view search results because they do not belong to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

I have plat and it doesn't work for me either.

• Locked thread