Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Jimmy sent me a Word document containing scans of printed screenshots and a macro virus today in an Urgent ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Our new build engineer can't figure out why software he's building is showing a version of 0.0 rather than the appropriate version. You are the build engineer dude how is this the hardest part of your job?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Exit Strategy posted:

Jimmy sent me a Word document containing scans of printed screenshots and a macro virus today in an Urgent ticket.

Look at the bright side: at least the printer and scanner both work.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Sickening posted:

Don't work contract jobs like this then. Jobs like this exist because people don't value themselves. Be the change you want to see.

I agree with you (to an extent), this job in particular I took when the policy wasn't in place and most of the people on the team have been there for 3-7 years. Knowing it would only be for a maximum of 18 months probably would have changed things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

spidoman posted:

I agree with you (to an extent), this job in particular I took when the policy wasn't in place and most of the people on the team have been there for 3-7 years. Knowing it would only be for a maximum of 18 months probably would have changed things.

Yeah, a change in policy to gently caress you over isn't something I would be happy about.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: salt-stack

I've used Chef for years and i'm really used to it. The naming pisses me off, although I guess I should be used to it after working with the cutesy Chef naming scheme. Some concepts don't exist at all in Salt that I feel should be there, like the fact that you need to specify each group of attributes you want salt-mine (a terribly named analog to ohai/facter) on the node. This would be ok, except I can't seem to find a way to dynamically generate a mine configuration by gathering attributes from various states that would want to enable various mine_functions.

I'm not overly impressed and I really don't get the hype around salt.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

a user posted:

So how do I find a file once I put it there?

In reference to a folder on the network. This is the person doing our payroll right now. The person who used to do it was driven away to a new job at least in part from having to work with this person.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

In reference to a folder on the network. This is the person doing our payroll right now. The person who used to do it was driven away to a new job at least in part from having to work with this person.

Clearly the answer is to open a Sev-1 ticket with "THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTINO!!!!" in the name.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Not pissing me off: HP Procurve lifetime warranty

I opened a ticket with HP and wrote nothing more than "Ports X-Z are dead. Reset switch configuration, swapped cables. Same PC links up on other ports." and the response an hour later was "We will replace the switch for you. Please verify your shipping address."

It's magical :allears:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Sent out an e-mail, letting a bunch of laptop users we were going to upgrade their laptops to Windows 7. Reminded them that they should lock their laptops to their desks overnight, asked them to provide a date when they'd be able to leave their laptops overnight, and asked them for their asset number. There's always, always one user who can only pay attention to one thing at a time, and this one lets me know they don't have a lock, and gives me a bad asset number. Replied asking to confirm their asset number, let them know I can bring a spare lock up, re-ask them what date works best for them. Get the correct asset number. Reiterate that I will bring a spare lock up, re-ask them what date works best. They reply, "Sure."

So, it's not going to be this week.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
gently caress YOU Cisco IP Communicator / Salesforce integration. I've got documentation written by a sales guy, who also admins Salesforce and is never in the office. Following his guide gets all the pieces installed but Salesforce and the CIPC never talk to each other. Sales guy won't also give me a test account to work with, so I have to boot other sales people off their machines to beat my head against his arcane setup. gently caress this poo poo.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Collateral Damage posted:

Who the heck migrates to BES in 2014?

<heavy indian accent>Our Fortune Global One-Seven-Five Client!</heavy indian accent>

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

luminalflux posted:

Some concepts don't exist at all in Salt that I feel should be there, like the fact that you need to specify each group of attributes you want salt-mine

The majority of Salt concepts seem completely independently designed and have limited correlation. What sucks is the limited resources for using the different types to do basic tasks.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It's a combination of stuff working really well (ZeroMQ, remote invocation) combined with babbys first CM implementation, which a lot of afficionados seem to handwave away bugs as features. Needing to pre-seed node keys before spinning up nodes (as opposed to Chef's method of the validator key)? No difference between a file resource and a template resource besides a small flag ("- template: jinja", guess who nuked his salt-minion config due to this today)? Jinja being pretty goddamn stupid compared to ERB? What's the difference between "low", "high" and "over" states?

Granted, I've spent like 2-3 years in Chef, but this seems like what happens when your CM devs are from a state where cocktails must be mixed out of view of all patrons.

Goddamn I miss reusable cookbooks and node attributes that can be set from recipes with defaults.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Bob Morales posted:

Same lady who asked us "Why did the storm damage our phone lines?" a few weeks ago. BECAUSE ITS A STORM

Ask her to write a formal complaint to the Phone Company Storm Control Centre, which you will gladly forward on her behalf.

Not pissing me off:
Got a raise (still not enough to deal with this poo poo).

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Just been on the phone with something trying to talk them through working out whether a Paypal email was genuine or a phishing attempt. It was only 25 minutes into the call that they told me they didn't have a paypal account.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

For me this week it's been Office 2013, with an emphasis on Outlook. I spent roughly half my day yesterday trying to hand hold a remote user for whom the processes he uses are done mostly by rote memorization. Any deviation from the norm and he'd seize up. Since we were screen sharing through Lync, I can't interact with anything that runs elevated, in fact I lose the ability to interact with the desktop at all when an elevated program is in focus. Couple all of this with Outlook just being stupid, taking 20 minutes to load his profile, all 400 MB of his OST, then freezing once it finished loading. Safe mode Outlook launches basically instantly, but will still freeze. We've tried repairing Office, which failed hilariously, followed by reinstalling it from O365, blowing away his Outlook profile and rebuilding it, etc. This is the third machine to have random craziness since the July updates.

He's also a user who feels his laptop should work well simply because he spent a lot of money on it, but at least he's friendly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sweevo posted:

Just been on the phone with something trying to talk them through working out whether a Paypal email was genuine or a phishing attempt. It was only 25 minutes into the call that they told me they didn't have a paypal account.

This is amazing

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

First time I had someone say "do the needful" in an email... and it was from google support.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I hate "do the needful" so loving much. It's completely irrational but I do.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think everyone here is with you on this one.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

"Do the needful" and "gentle reminder". I hate them. I hate them both.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Oddhair posted:

.... Office 2013, with an emphasis on Outlook... then freezing once it finished loading.

I had this same issue with every single drat machine I updated with Office 2013 and Outlook. Outlook would insta-freeze the second it tried to load the PST file. It could not even be killed from task manager. Had to hard reboot the machine. Sometimes it would load and then randomly freeze when a user clicked on a folder, or email, etc..

I eventually noticed that when this occurred, once of the svchost.exe instances would be consuming a lot of CPU. With the help of Process Explorer I figured out the culprit was the Windows Search service. Once I stopped and disabled this service, Outlook stopped freezing and performance was all around improved.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo pissing me off: airco is broken in the office which makes working there pure torture in the afternoon.

poo poo not pissing me off: We asked our datacenter team if they had some decommissioned servers we could use for a lab we wanted to build. They gave us way more than we asked for so it's gonna feel like Christmas when we go there to pick them up tomorrow.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Oddhair posted:

For me this week it's been Office 2013, with an emphasis on Outlook. I spent roughly half my day yesterday trying to hand hold a remote user for whom the processes he uses are done mostly by rote memorization. Any deviation from the norm and he'd seize up. Since we were screen sharing through Lync, I can't interact with anything that runs elevated, in fact I lose the ability to interact with the desktop at all when an elevated program is in focus. Couple all of this with Outlook just being stupid, taking 20 minutes to load his profile, all 400 MB of his OST, then freezing once it finished loading. Safe mode Outlook launches basically instantly, but will still freeze. We've tried repairing Office, which failed hilariously, followed by reinstalling it from O365, blowing away his Outlook profile and rebuilding it, etc. This is the third machine to have random craziness since the July updates.

He's also a user who feels his laptop should work well simply because he spent a lot of money on it, but at least he's friendly.

If he's on a dock, or even not, disable hardware acceleration. I had that issue with Dell laptops with integrated and discrete graphics. Outlook flips out because it doesn't know what card to use.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"My ask is"

Yeah that's not a noun.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

"Bear with me" just because I hear it so many times a day.
"I'm ready to throw it out the window" as frequently said by users stressing out and frustrated because a piece of equipment isn't working. A recent example:

:byodood: Hi I can't get on the system I've been trying all morning and I've got so much work to do I've turned the laptop off and on loads of times I've restarted the router loads of times and I'm about to throw this computer out the window!
:) Do you get an error message when you try to log in?
:byodood: Yes it says my password's expired!
:) ... I'll get that for you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sweevo posted:

I think someone finally topped the 20 minutes I had to spend with someone explaining what a right-click was over the phone.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I think someone finally topped the 20 minutes I had to spend with someone explaining what a right-click was over the phone.

I visited a customer site a while back where they had some app installed on all Windows Pcs to disable right click, as all their documentation and their main business app was still written to act like it was on Windows 3.1 and they didn't want to confuse their workforce with this new stuff :suicide:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mllaneza posted:

You're giving me flashbacks of my tier-1 ISP days.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

poo poo pissing me off today: Bad SATA cables.

Some SATA cables that work fine on 3gbps motherboards will cause corruption and all sorts of funny behaviour when you try them on a mobo with 6gbps support. Turns out it's been bent and twisted a bit too much, and may be old enough to not support 6gbps in the first place :argh:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Wibla posted:

poo poo pissing me off today: Bad SATA cables.

Some SATA cables that work fine on 3gbps motherboards will cause corruption and all sorts of funny behaviour when you try them on a mobo with 6gbps support. Turns out it's been bent and twisted a bit too much, and may be old enough to not support 6gbps in the first place :argh:

Just chuck the broken cables into a coworker's PC and see how long it takes him to find out :smugdog:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Just chuck the broken cables into a coworker's PC and see how long it takes him to find out :smugdog:

I actually like my coworkers, and just reflecting back on how pissed off I was dealing with it, I wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone else :v:

A thing to note here though;

It could seem that intel sata controllers deal with bad cables better than amd does. This system had a gigabyte 980 amd motherboard before, same components otherwise, and it acted strangely. BSODs and a bunch of other crashes that was very hard to pin down. Swapped in an intel motherboard with a q8400 cpu on it and all was well. I replaced the AMD motherboard with a newer one with a 990 chipset and lo and behold, straight up I/O errors. Yay.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Friendly reminders, too. Ugh. When was the last time anyone received a "friendly" reminder that was actually friendly and not some passive-aggressive horseshit?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Friendly reminders, too. Ugh. When was the last time anyone received a "friendly" reminder that was actually friendly and not some passive-aggressive horseshit?

"Can you kindly handle"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We had a discussion today in our retrospective on tone in trello cards, after one person managed to piss my off by using a tone reserved for a superior talking down to a very low subordinate. I'm not sure what we agreed on though.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"Can you kindly handle"

Can you kindly handle my balls?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
One of our application teams unfortunately has sudo access on their Linux servers. They have a Jira instance, and it seems when they set it up they decided that Jira had to run as root so it could listen on port 80 because they didn't want to have to use a port number in their URL. Then this morning they decided to downgrade their Jira version by uninstalling the current one using Jira's uninstall tool...which apparently removes the user account that Jira is configured to run under. :cripes:

So yeah, shame on them for running a Java web application as root because they're too lazy to type a port number (or set up an Apache forwarding proxy or something), and shame on Altassain for creating a binary installer that will happily delete the root user account. Although to be fair, I haven't run a Jira installer in years, so I have no idea if there were a bunch of "Hey dude, you're about to delete your root user account, this is a really bad idea, are you really, really sure you want to do this really stupid thing?" prompts beforehand that the app guys just ignored or if the installer program just went "WHEEEE DELETE DA USER! :downs:" without prompting...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

luminalflux posted:

We had a discussion today in our retrospective on tone in trello cards...

Your post baffled me and not just because I don't know what trello cards are. I'm going to guess that it's another flavor of the month management tool but I'm picturing it being like a tarot reading. Your team sits in a darkened room while a supervisor slowly lays out the trello...

"The nine of SCSI, inverted. Looks like that hot spare is neither!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Honestly planning story points for user stories using planning poker feels that way sometimes.

~~luv2scrum~~