Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

More micromanagement at the shitstain that is fc/et/bm/qm/gm/ic a school. Students must be in class for fifty minutes, then have a ten minute break, no exceptions.

This introduces a few problems which I mean if I can see I'd hope the chain of 'command' could see, most notably that the entire loving schoolhouse will be in break at the same time. Good luck getting coffee in ten minutes with a line of 400 people.

Why not just have it to where you have to give the class a 10 minute break at any point when they need it, limiting it to an hour in between breaks so you're not crowding up the head and everything else?

From what friends have told me those schools just sound like material is boring, and didn't they do away with QMs as a rating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
What about peepee breaks? I guess you aren't allowed to have coffee pots in classrooms. We have some stupidity every now and then but with the course being administered by awesome civilians such as me we are mostly immune.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

From what friends have told me those schools just sound like material is boring, and didn't they do away with QMs as a rating?

I have never been to a non-boring classroom based Navy course. And no, there are still QMs. SMs were merged with QM/BM about 10 years ago.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pandasmores posted:

Why not just have it to where you have to give the class a 10 minute break at any point when they need it, limiting it to an hour in between breaks so you're not crowding up the head and everything else?

Why not just let the instructors put the class on break when they feel it's warranted?

Because there is no place for common sense in the military.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
go for the long troll and tell them that they'll get 10 minute breaks every hour when they get to the fleet

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Which is true if they smoke

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Yep. I started smoking just so I could get off the boat every hour or so.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

doesn't everyone use one of those gay little vaporizers now? idk i'm waiting for the first dipshit enlisted person (not necessarily a sailor) to chug a bottle of that fluid on a dare and die and then dod outlaws vaporizers

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

poopkitty posted:

I have never been to a non-boring classroom based Navy course.

JCAC was awesome. The military tried really hard to get in the way of learning outside the classroom, but the actual classes themselves were taught by civilians who didn't give a poo poo if you were too lazy to study. As a result, the material isn't designed in a way that can be taught with powerpoint slides alone. There was actually some critical thinking involved, and you could actually research the "why" instead of relying on rote memorization.

The best part was people could actually fail. We had at least 4 or 5 sailors dropout from my class when I went through, which was half the number of Navy students.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

krispykremessuck posted:

doesn't everyone use one of those gay little vaporizers now? idk i'm waiting for the first dipshit enlisted person (not necessarily a sailor) to chug a bottle of that fluid on a dare and die and then dod outlaws vaporizers

It'll be a sailor, cmon

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

"Banned" inside ship

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

orange juche posted:

It'll be a sailor, cmon

the only reason I said it might not be is because I'm not sure how popular they are amongst the other branches

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

It's banned from being used in hospital parking too iirc.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

poopkitty posted:

I have never been to a non-boring classroom based Navy course.

Calling it 'classroom based' is perhaps a stretch, since it's almost entirely labs, but ETMS is pretty fun. It helps that if you're good and fast at the labs you can be home before lunch. I can see it sucking rear end if you and your lab partners are a bunch of rocks, but there's no real way to avoid that.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

krispykremessuck posted:

the only reason I said it might not be is because I'm not sure how popular they are amongst the other branches

No matter, it'll still be a sailor.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I didn't realize those vaporizer cigarettes were such a big thing until I moved back to the States and saw people walking around with them on loving lanyards around their necks like a bunch of idiots. I rank them right up there with pogs, duckface, and the word "selfie".

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

they're all the rage here and by all the rage I mean some scrub sn goes and spends $400 on one uses it for a month and goes back to kools

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I don't think I've seen anyone that smoked e-cigs not go back to regular cigarettes

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

~vape culture~

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

Yeah I don't think I've seen anyone that smoked e-cigs not go back to regular cigarettes

I completely quit both cigarettes and chewing tobacco because of an e-cig. :colbert:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I completely quit both cigarettes and chewing tobacco because of an e-cig. :colbert:

same, but now I smoke lots of weed!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Realktalk, my pog rear end only got it to eventually smoke weed through my vape. lol at the dudes spending 400 on one. I got a 200 dollar one for 40.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I am pretty sure my C school classes were in the evening which was pretty cool cause you get to wake up late and no one is in the building. Also being in san diego for A and C school was pretty nice.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

PneumonicBook posted:

More micromanagement at the shitstain that is fc/et/bm/qm/gm/ic a school. Students must be in class for fifty minutes, then have a ten minute break, no exceptions.

This introduces a few problems which I mean if I can see I'd hope the chain of 'command' could see, most notably that the entire loving schoolhouse will be in break at the same time. Good luck getting coffee in ten minutes with a line of 400 people.

poo poo. They are putting nuke school rules on you. I mean gently caress, I'm in ~the fleet~ but drat, you will learn the horrors that are the 10 minuet breaks.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

If they knee-jerked any harder over that whole thing they would have broken a femur.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Gunktacular posted:

If they knee-jerked any harder over that whole thing they would have broken a femur.

they'd likely have a broken nose instead, but the Navy has never been known for long thought out policy changes.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Pandasmores posted:

It's banned from being used in hospital parking too iirc.

I'd rather just not be a pussy with a nicotine addiction and keep smoking cigars

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

PneumonicBook posted:

Just have one of your slaves..err students set up a coffee mess in the classroom that they set up and break down every day. You have dozens of useless bodies; give them a function.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Snowdens Secret posted:

Calling it 'classroom based' is perhaps a stretch, since it's almost entirely labs, but ETMS is pretty fun. It helps that if you're good and fast at the labs you can be home before lunch. I can see it sucking rear end if you and your lab partners are a bunch of rocks, but there's no real way to avoid that.

Any class not on the boat was a good class, excluding eog school. That was not worth it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Any class not on the boat was a good class, excluding eog school. That was not worth it.

This is true. Also ETMS was one of the few schools where the staff would throw a shitfit if the boat was still making you stand duty (which they all did.)

When I was a nub my chief (who was the boat's schools CPO or whatever at the time) threw me and another RC-div nub into the fiber optics repair course, even though I'm pretty sure our boat didn't have a single fiber. It was pretty funny to be two ET3s and be blazing through all the labs and watching the comm ETCS's flop and twitch and demonstrate stunning ignorance of basic troubleshooting guidelines or procedural compliance.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

This is true. Also ETMS was one of the few schools where the staff would throw a shitfit if the boat was still making you stand duty (which they all did.)

When I was a nub my chief (who was the boat's schools CPO or whatever at the time) threw me and another RC-div nub into the fiber optics repair course, even though I'm pretty sure our boat didn't have a single fiber. It was pretty funny to be two ET3s and be blazing through all the labs and watching the comm ETCS's flop and twitch and demonstrate stunning ignorance of basic troubleshooting guidelines or procedural compliance.

a senior chief incompetent???? :monocle:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Just have one of your slaves..err students set up a coffee mess in the classroom that they set up and break down every day. You have dozens of useless bodies; give them a function.

That doesn't solve the problem of me being in the classroom constantly. Also you need a mystical coffee mess chit or some stupid loving bullshit. I mean I don't give a poo poo about the coffee, I drink water all day, I was just using it as an example.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I don't know if it is just me but, I have found way more people at both active and reserve commands who prefer energy drinks and other bullshit instead of good old fashioned coffee. I don't get it, coffee is basically hot water with caffeine, what's better than that to getting your shift going?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Something something idiot manchildren and marketing.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

My brother div at boot camp had the loving Monster logo on their flag because one of their RDCs was the poster child for scrawny CTR1s and drank like eight of them a day.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I used to know a chick with a monster tattoo on her arm. She was also a juggalo.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stuart Little never knew what hit him.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The navy buys the cheapest poo poo coffee that's less beans and more roots and twigs, and somehow even if you steal the officer's mess Starbucks cans the coffee ends up like poo poo. It doesn't help that the goat locker's idea for making awful coffee taste better is to add more scoops until it's drat near coming out the top of the filter. When I was in I'd drink Mountain Dew in port and bring teabags for underway, even lousy tea was better than the slag that came out of the engine room coffee pot.

Never washing your mug is legit, though.

Port calls in Brobdingnag were always the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
By the end of a deployment I was mixing No-Explode I bought off some marines into my monsters to try to stay awake on watch.

It didn't work.

• Locked thread