Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Burkion posted:

Also let's be entirely honest about Jetman here. The romance has NOTHING to do with the plot-it's just another melodramatic tick on the melodramatic bullshit list that Jetman is made of.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cliff Racer posted:

I thought that the romance was the plot? Unless you consider the plot to be four assholes attack humanity until they eventually die.

This is the plot for every Sentai though, just replace "four" with the appropiate amount of assholes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

I thought that the romance was the plot? Unless you consider the plot to be four assholes attack humanity until they eventually die.

I mean, *I* do, but I'm the single most vocal anti-fan of Jetman that exists on the forums.

Still need to finish it. I stalled out some where after the queen got ganked.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Burkion posted:

I mean, *I* do, but I'm the single most vocal anti-fan of Jetman that exists on the forums.

Still need to finish it. I stalled out some where after the queen got ganked.

Is that something you actually keep track of or are proud of?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Is that something you actually keep track of or are proud of?

Just an observation from the fact that no one else seems to dislike it.

How many people can you name that didn't like Jetman?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You stalled out really early and normally I'd say that you should give it another shot but honestly, if you didn't like the first half you are only going to hate what comes later even more as they bring in more stock MotW plots and the romance stuff gets more hacky.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

You stalled out really early and normally I'd say that you should give it another shot but honestly, if you didn't like the first half you are only going to hate what comes later even more as they bring in more stock MotW plots and the romance stuff gets more hacky.

I stalled out RIGHT at the 20s, I think. Let me check. Episode 19 was the last one I watched.

Honestly what got me was that, early on Black was the worst character because he was an rear end in a top hat for no good reason and not very likeable-but then none of the other heroes were competent, or had any real character.

Red is one of the most generic Reds I've ever seen, so bland that he drinks milk. Yellow is a literal punching bag for no good reason and is given no dignity. White is useless and one of the worst Sentai female heroes I've ever seen, where her main purpose is to be lusted after by Black and to lust after Red. Blue is just THERE after she gets over her greed shtick and does nothing, even in her 'focus' episodes.

So the heroes are a wash for me...except Black actually becomes the only cool one when he starts snarking on the rest and being the only one to do poo poo. And then he shoves White into an elevator and creeps on her. loving hell.

And the monsters?

The monsters for the first 19 episodes, with a few exceptions, are God Awful. They're more parodies than anything, better suited to TurboRanger or Akiba.

And that'd be fine-if this was meant to be a parody season. All of the melodrama and other bullshit people say about it point otherwise.

For the love of Christ, the singing dancing Ramen Cup monster isn't even the goofiest of the lot-that'd be the vending machine!

That doesn't help that most of the monsters have REALLY awful costumes that barely fit with what they're supposed to be, or just look generic.

For these kinds of shows, I put a lot of stock in the MOTW if I have nothing else to fall back on. Jetman has awful, silly MOTW.

But you know, if you're OK with that? If that stuff doesn't bother you and you DO connect with the heroes? Good on you. I kept chugging through because everything I heard about the Queen Arc sounded magical, and ALL that proved was that the heroes are so incompetent they need the villains to save the day for them.

I'm going to finish it at some point because I might as well- it's not like its painful or anything. Just yeah, it's not a show that I enjoy.

But hell I finished Kamen Rider Black RX, and Jetman can't get as bad as that. Even if it took me 2 years.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
maybe those people you talked to were wrong

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I know we have our disagreements in this thread but I will not hear word one against Cup Ramen Dimension.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

I know we have our disagreements in this thread but I will not hear word one against Cup Ramen Dimension.

Oh I never said anything bad about the dude.

Just looking at the monsters, you'd think he'd be the silliest one of the bunch.

The thing is, he's not. He's par for the course.

In fact he happens to have the best suit of the lot- they actually put EFFORT into his design. It's just he doesn't really fit in what's supposed to be one of the most serious Sentais ever...which would be fine if it was a one off thing, but...

Tonal whiplash is Jetman's biggest problem I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Bioman was poo poo. Jetman is the new hotness.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The new 1991 hotness.

Between Raita Oishi (Jet Yellow) and Ramirez (Kyoryu Cyan), how many more Super Sentai are overweight?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 21, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

The new 1991 hotness.

Between Raita Oishi (Jet Yellow) and Ramirez (Kyoryu Cyan), how many more Super Sentai are overweight?

The only ones I know of are the original Yellow Ranger and I think Sun Vulcan's yellow?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Burkion posted:

The only ones I know of are the original Yellow Ranger and I think Sun Vulcan's yellow?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I don't know how many people in this thread would care but, it was announced today that Yuuta Mochizuki (Geki/Zyu Red, Kamen Rider J, J1 in Jetman) is going to be at Power Morphicon in August

http://officialpowermorphicon.com/guests/guests-pmc-2014/japanese-super-sentai-kamen-rider/yuuta-mochizuka-zyuranger-geki-tyranno-ranger/

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Up to OOOs episode 26, and I continue to enjoy it.
-The theme song has really grown on me. I didn't really dig it at the beginning, but now I look forward to "Life goes on! Anything goes! Coming up OOOs!" after the cold open.
-Gotou and Date are a great pair.
-Date's gorilla candroids are great. I don't generally like the candroid gimmick, but those gorillas spinning their arms and going "OH-OH-OH!" is wonderful.
-There is never enough Kougami.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

For these kinds of shows, I put a lot of stock in the MOTW if I have nothing else to fall back on. Jetman has awful, silly MOTW.

Not to give away too much but there's a slight difference in the monsters not too far from where you are. Of course it's glossed over in two sentences by the bad guys so it's just another thing Jetman feels like glossing over so we can throw in things like Raita loving Kaori for no reason.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I've looked over the long-forgotten sentai folder in my hard disk and I think I understand now why I can't stand Gokaiger from the 10 episodes I apparently have.

The releases I have are all by TV-Nihon.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Drive "Scans"

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I am so so very happy that it's called the Drive Driver.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So far so good. Without scale it looks a little bulky like the Fourze belt, but I'm interested to see its gimmicks.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Looks like the cars go to what might be a wrist-worn remote for the belt, and different cars for different forms/gimmicks? The car itself probably transforms somehow too.

EDIT: Yup partially right. It's called the Shift Bracelet.

EDIT2: Oh oh, it looks like the rear ends of the cars twist around. Maybe its sort of a motion like turning a key?

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 23, 2014

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

SpazmasterX posted:

Looks like the cars go to what might be a wrist-worn remote for the belt, and different cars for different forms/gimmicks? The car itself probably transforms somehow too.

EDIT: Yup partially right. It's called the Shift Bracelet.

EDIT2: Oh oh, it looks like the rear ends of the cars twist around. Maybe its sort of a motion like turning a key?

[jams ranger key into belt]

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I hope the suit looks like a transformer.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I love Space Sheriff Gavan quite a lot. I love his suit('s design. The actual suit is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly due to limitations of the time. Looks fantastic nowadays though.) I love his powers, I love his enemies, I love the style and energy of the show, I *LOVE* the music.

Just everything about it is so fantastic and makes me so happy.

Dear Christ it is so hard to watch back to back. You just, you cannot marathon this bullshit. Why?

Stock footage.

OK, so like, a lot of shows, especially those made in the 80s and 90s, have stock footage, especially for things like the transformation or the finishing move. And you know? That's fine. Usually it's for good reason. They also tend to work.

The reason why Gavan does not? In most situations, the hero does the roll call and then we get the stock transformation scene. Gavan is a bit special.

Typically in Gavan, we have some fun fast paced action scenes, Gavan gets pushed in a corner, and then he transforms instantly to confront the villains.

And then the episode stops. It just stops dead, as a narrator speaks up. We then see him do the transformation thing again, only this time slowed down, and then a space ship shows up and blasts the guy with the suit and *THEN* the episode starts back up.

A solid 30 seconds to a minute is wasted almost EVERY episode like this, and it's really inexcusable.

It's not too horrible if you're watching week to week, which was the point, but when you're marathoning it gets super draining. That and, though they slowly stopped this-for the first block of episodes, they would often use stock footage of ENTIRE SCENES.

Gavan would get sucked up in the weird dimension, and it'd be the same exact thing of him riding his motorcar through explosions and then star ships explode. The SAME scene.

Every few episodes, they'll do something where he does the transformation call, and then the ship shows up and blasts him with the armor- it's still the same stock footage, but it's not stopping the episode and rewinding events to show you what happened, which makes it infinitely preferable.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I for one wait for the inevitable crossover between Tokkyuger, Den-O, Go-Onger, and Drive

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Solaris Knight posted:

I for one wait for the inevitable crossover between Tokkyuger, Den-O, Go-Onger, and Drive

Kamen Rider x Super Sentai: Super Engine Wars.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Solaris Knight posted:

All the trains/cars/machines combine into the biggest clusterfuck robot you've never seen to defeat the villain. :unsmigghh:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I kinda miss the days when Kamen Rider was a lone hero combating a monolithic evil organization, completely outnumbered but still triumphant through Justice and burning righteousness.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch Drive and probably enjoy it, but, you know, I just miss it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Pyroi posted:

Kamen Rider x Super Sentai: Super Engine Wars.

You joke, but I would genuinely be tickled pink at the idea of a Cannonball Run style race movie featuring those guys, and maybe Black RX and Carranger

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have the BunnyHat raws for Black that wouldn't mind seeding the torrent? poo poo is taking forever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

Does anyone have the BunnyHat raws for Black that wouldn't mind seeding the torrent? poo poo is taking forever.

Sorry. I got the Century Kings ones as they released years ago.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

On it.

(I really need to get a seedbox for all my stuff at some point)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FortMax posted:

On it.

(I really need to get a seedbox for all my stuff at some point)

Sweet. I was trying not to just go HEY JERKWEED SEED YOUR poo poo so I appreciate this.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Burkion posted:

Sorry. I got the Century Kings ones as they released years ago.

For the love of god, replace them while they're being seeded. A person who likes Black as much as you shouldn't be saddled with it looking that terrible.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So a new Low Visibility is out and they talk a LOT about Dynaman in it, but the OP doesn't show a sub for it. Has it been picked up since the OP was written?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Nope.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

For the love of god, replace them while they're being seeded. A person who likes Black as much as you shouldn't be saddled with it looking that terrible.

Is it the 13 GB torrent? I'd assume so, but I have bandwith to worry about.

EDIT: I just checked the OP. Huh-did no one grab my Changeman torrent to put up on KRDL a few months back?

Burkion fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 24, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Is it the 13 GB torrent? I'd assume so, but I have bandwith to worry about.

EDIT: I just checked the OP. Huh-did no one grab my Changeman torrent to put up on KRDL a few months back?

It is. You're still better off doing it slowly because holy Jesus those CK ones are dogshit quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It is. You're still better off doing it slowly because holy Jesus those CK ones are dogshit quality.

Yeah, but...

Well when I first watched Black, it was HK sub version that I got on DVD back in the late 2000s because I had dial up.

So, you know, even the Century King ones are a step up. Always do look forward to upgrading though.

Maybe one day the HK subs of Gavan will be ripped and put with GOOD scans!

In my dreams

• Locked thread