Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

help i can't get my boss to use version control what do i do our files are all saved with "backups" named like form.html, formgood.html, formold.html, formbak.html, formbak2.html

on a production server

you can even access the old versions by going to that url

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

the php is actually going ok and the retardedness on the server is mostly under control. but i have to add features to a jquery form thing with tables and inline css everywhere. it was written by an intern if that helps to understand the problem i'm facing. it's like the idiot child of 1995 and single page webapps

so

how do i make it sane. preferably doing as little work as possible

you either a) rip everything out and start over or b) add more tables, jquery, and inline css until it does what it's supposed to and let the next person worry about it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
angular is definitely not the solution tho

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

help i can't get my boss to use version control what do i do our files are all saved with "backups" named like form.html, formgood.html, formold.html, formbak.html, formbak2.html

on a production server

hit the directory every five minutes, store the files off in your own private repo, look for changes, make commits to that local repo if necessary, or just d/w/i/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

you either a) rip everything out and start over or b) add more tables, jquery, and inline css until it does what it's supposed to and let the next person worry about it.

i'm going with b but the team has reached consensus that i'm the sme on this pile of poo poo. more like no one else will admit to knowledge of php or js. the next person is overwhelmingly likely to be me, or me walking someone through making the changes they need

the problem is by now it's an iceberg page where 90% of the elements are display: none and just about every time a user clicks some JS runs and alters the set of visible elements

surely there's a better way

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

on a production server

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda bs=512

oh poo poo boss everything's hosed, if only we'd used subversion

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

on a production server

don't worry i'm sure you'll still get blamed when they overwrite your changes

keep everything in git locally and do commits with "dumb poo poo my boss did" when needed

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i was in a big php with inline html and inline css and kludge js project about a year ago, and i found the solution to learning to code right in that situation

it is to quit and find a less bad job

(my job still sucks but it is less bad and we don't use php)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

so what's the workflow like if you have multiple people working on something without version control

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
horrible

just horrible

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like i'm just a hobbyist programmer but even when i make some crappy little project with one other friend it feels like it would be a headache without version control

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

the php is actually going ok and the retardedness on the server is mostly under control. but i have to add features to a jquery form thing with tables and inline css everywhere. it was written by an intern if that helps to understand the problem i'm facing. it's like the idiot child of 1995 and single page webapps

so

how do i make it sane. preferably doing as little work as possible

lol, someone must have given the server an iPad when it was a toddler.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeramJert posted:

so what's the workflow like if you have multiple people working on something without version control

code:
C:\> dir c:\webroot

23-07-2010  06:41    <DIR>          .
 23-07-2010  06:41    <DIR>          ..
 23-07-2010  06:52           879,394 our_critical_app
 01-01-2008  06:52           595,284 our_critical_app.1
 14-07-2010  06:52           845,941 our_critical_app.1.1
 04-04-2007  06:52           561,276 our_critical_app.20070404
 01-04-2009  06:52           775,702 our_critical_app.20090401
 16-07-2009  06:52           780,831 our_critical_app.2009-07-16
 17-08-2009  06:52           777,835 our_critical_app.2009-17-08
 16-06-2007  06:52           620,888 our_critical_app.bak
                8 File(s)      5,837,151 bytes
                2 Dir(s)  57,925,980,160 bytes free

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

suffix posted:

don't worry i'm sure you'll still get blamed when they overwrite your changes

keep everything in git locally and do commits with "dumb poo poo my boss did" when needed

oh yeah I'm doing this, i have my poo poo set up. i just have an additional step of "has any magic happened since last time i pushed" to deal with

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

code:
C:\> dir c:\webroot

23-07-2010  06:41    <DIR>          .
 23-07-2010  06:41    <DIR>          ..
 23-07-2010  06:52           879,394 our_critical_app
 01-01-2008  06:52           595,284 our_critical_app.1
 14-07-2010  06:52           845,941 our_critical_app.1.1
 04-04-2007  06:52           561,276 our_critical_app.20070404
 01-04-2009  06:52           775,702 our_critical_app.20090401
 16-07-2009  06:52           780,831 our_critical_app.2009-07-16
 17-08-2009  06:52           777,835 our_critical_app.2009-17-08
 16-06-2007  06:52           620,888 our_critical_app.bak
                8 File(s)      5,837,151 bytes
                2 Dir(s)  57,925,980,160 bytes free

so if you and i both want to make changes to our_critical_app today, i'll just save it as our_critical_app.meramjert and then someone will have to do a manual merge and hope nothing goes wrong? is this correct?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeramJert posted:

so if you and i both want to make changes to our_critical_app today, i'll just save it as our_critical_app.meramjert and then someone will have to do a manual merge and hope nothing goes wrong? is this correct?

yeah.

except no two people ever have the same convention. and poo poo goes wrong constantly. there are local copies on people's hard drives, and regressions happen constantly when dudes overwrite changes

i only worked in the shop that did this for like 2 weeks and that was enough for the rest of my life

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i wonder if that's why our products' firmware consistently has regressions

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
plus if you're not willing to figure out version control it's very unlikely you know how to diff a file so merging probably has to be done be just scrolling down

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

plus if you're not willing to figure out version control it's very unlikely you know how to diff a file so merging probably has to be done be just scrolling down

ding ding ding

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

actually i have seen our software team "using" subversion, but the repo i saw looked like this:

app - Revision 1686: /
  • app_source_code_2013_06_23.zip
  • app_source_code_2013_07_05.zip

etc

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

MeramJert posted:

nah, you just shout out in the office "okay guys, i'll be editing the file on the server with all our code in, nobody else edit it until i'm done, ok?"

but then you also make a backup copy to backups5/our_critical_app.mj.bck_2 just in case, and when there's a conflict you don't know what version either of you started with, so you just pick whichever code looks newest (i.e., has the most lines)
so if you ever delete or shorten a function, someone else will revert it because time flows from less code to more code

i was on a student project that started out like this, pretty pro way to learn what not to do

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MeramJert posted:

very carefully

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

i'm going with b but the team has reached consensus that i'm the sme on this pile of poo poo. more like no one else will admit to knowledge of php or js. the next person is overwhelmingly likely to be me, or me walking someone through making the changes they need

the problem is by now it's an iceberg page where 90% of the elements are display: none and just about every time a user clicks some JS runs and alters the set of visible elements

tear it down, inline CSS means someone has failed catastrophically at some point and the whole thing needs to be trashed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey if i have a dumb programming question is this the thread for it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Werthog 95 posted:

hey if i have a dumb programming question is this the thread for it

are you a terrible programmer?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

AlsoD posted:

are you a terrible programmer?

absolutely

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

whoops nevermind i figured it out

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

LARD LORD posted:

tear it down, inline CSS means someone has failed catastrophically at some point and the whole thing needs to be trashed

I'm ashamed to admit to seeing this poo poo all over my code and don't really know how to deal with it. I want to understand first what the major problem is?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Werthog 95 posted:

whoops nevermind i figured it out

please report your tale of terribleness my brother

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just cout a bunch of bootstrap

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh, this spotify api tutorial is in node

UGH

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

please report your tale of terribleness my brother

here's an api that the local public music radio station uses for its playlist viewer https://api.composer.nprstations.or..._=1406212651411

i wanna make a thing, probably in python, that'll automatically create spotify playlists from this show's playlist

all i wanted to know was what i had to do about those escaped quotes but it turns out that was a very simple question: replace("\\\"","\"")

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

what the gently caress was that

e: its gone now

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Janitor Prime posted:

I'm ashamed to admit to seeing this poo poo all over my code and don't really know how to deal with it. I want to understand first what the major problem is?

Writing in line css is much better than writing bad css that cascades to everything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Werthog 95 posted:

here's an api that the local public music radio station uses for its playlist viewer https://api.composer.nprstations.or..._=1406212651411

i wanna make a thing, probably in python, that'll automatically create spotify playlists from this show's playlist

all i wanted to know was what i had to do about those escaped quotes but it turns out that was a very simple question: replace("\\\"","\"")

lol. that is so bad. pretty easy to parse tho. use c# instead of python so you're actually learning how to do it in a way that matters

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lol i don't have access to add css or js files so i guess everything's going inline!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh cool changing the url params makes it even easier. i just hope i don't end up in jail like weev for accessing this url without permission

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

do this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WiyGmdOjbc

Leave the json in the console for optimum accessibility.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Use ASP.NET MVC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Writing in line css is much better than writing bad css that cascades to everything

!important

• Locked thread