Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks much for the sushi recommendations, much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Lurchington posted:

I enjoy reading http://fivethirtyeight.com/ and particularly their ongoing burrito-bracket series.

Virginia and Maryland both have a representative in their respective regions:

Pedro and Vinny's, Arlington: http://www.yelp.com/biz/pedro-and-vinnys-burritos-arlington-2
Tortacos, Gaithersburg: http://www.yelp.com/biz/tortacos-gaithersburg

Surprisingly, Arlington and Alexandria combined had 4 of the 20 VORB (Value Over Replacement Burrito) scores in the south region: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-search-for-americas-best-burrito-heads-to-the-land-of-sweet-tea/

I'll have to check out a couple of these places. Despite living on Columbia Pike for ~2 years I'd never heard of Pedro and Vinny's.

Pedro and Vinny's owns so hard.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Lurchington posted:

I enjoy reading http://fivethirtyeight.com/ and particularly their ongoing burrito-bracket series.

Pedro and Vinny's, Arlington: http://www.yelp.com/biz/pedro-and-vinnys-burritos-arlington-2

Surprisingly, Arlington and Alexandria combined had 4 of the 20 VORB (Value Over Replacement Burrito) scores in the south region: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-search-for-americas-best-burrito-heads-to-the-land-of-sweet-tea/

I'll have to check out a couple of these places. Despite living on Columbia Pike for ~2 years I'd never heard of Pedro and Vinny's.

I happen to like Pedro and Vinny's - to a certain extent. Their guac is from costco and not very flavorful but I appreciate their homemade sauces.

e: closed due to health violations lmao

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 28, 2014

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Lurchington posted:

I live pretty close to Tortacos; it's a fast-food place, but their tacos al pastor are amazing. Thinking about that reminds me though - anyone know a good shawarma/doner kebab place near DuPont?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
http://www.doener-usa.com/location-adams-morgan.html imo

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

chami posted:

I live pretty close to Tortacos; it's a fast-food place, but their tacos al pastor are amazing. Thinking about that reminds me though - anyone know a good shawarma/doner kebab place near DuPont?

Döner Bistro in AdMo is a really hip place, but I really like their currywurst way more than their schwarma. It's not bad schwarma, but if you specifically want good schwarma I'd be more inclined to Meat in a Box at the base of AdMo. That's on a culinary basis, and if you just want to grab-and-go something tasty.

But if you want a place that has other cool German dishes like currywurst, schnitzel, a huge variety of beer, cool vibe, and also happens to have döner, I'd go Döner Bistro. That said, there are a few more eastern (Pakistani/Persian) kebab places, in the sense of actual chunks or balls of meat cooked on skewers rather than sliced off of a spit roast.

Speaking of which, Halal Kebab House, also near the foot of AdMo by Casa Oaxaca, is Bangladeshi-run and has hidden amidst the generic Indian chow on their menu several Bengali-specific dishes like bana khichuri ("Bengali risotto").

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Not exactly DC, but there's no Richmond dining thread.

Is(was?) anybody here familiar with Bill's BBQ in and around Richmond? I was never terribly impressed with their actual barbeque, but I loved their sauce. From what little I've been able to find online, the former owner is a hardcore republican(recorded an ad for Romney blaming Obummer for the closure of his business) and has no intentions of giving out his recipes(refused previous talk of DC franchises, and seems to have vanished from the world), so I've been trying to replicate the sauce based on the ingredient list on the bottle and other NC/VA sauce recipes. I have managed to make what I think is a drat good sauce, but it's not quite right, and I no longer have any of the original to compare it to!

So, I figured I'd ask here on the off chance that somebody happened to have a bunch stockpiled or had first-hand knowledge of how it was made!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Unrelated, but I also have a surplus of Appalachian dulcimers, if any of y'all has been meaning to take up folk music. So if you need a cheap dulcimer, of free pig/lemon, PM me or email to my username at yahoo.

Offer's not still good, is it?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also oddly enough I own a dulcimer, a nice one. Made for me by some master dulcimer maker from a chestnut tree that fell in his yard or something; so I am told anyway. I was like five and had no appreciation and no musical talent so I never learned to play it. But the whole thing came about because I was neighbors with this guy:

http://www.ralphleesmith.com/

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dad's going to try and get minibar reservations for my birthday in October! Part of me wants to say "instead of dropping four figures on dinner, maybe you give me that money and I put it toward my credit card debt" but it's rude to criticize a gift and besides- minibar!

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Has anyone ever been to Fiola? Opinion?

I went to Fiola Mare recently and while it was great I would rather go to a restaurant that wasn't as strictly seafood themed.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

xilni posted:

Has anyone ever been to Fiola? Opinion?

I went to Fiola Mare recently and while it was great I would rather go to a restaurant that wasn't as strictly seafood themed.

Fiola (not Mare) has a more diverse menu; still one of my go-to spots in DC. Have done the tasting menu several times or just ordered as the mood struck us. Pretty decent bar, too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like Fiola. Nice menu overall, pretty good happy hour. I've only been twice though. Had the ahi carpaccio once and lobster ravioli the second time, both were very good. There's more than just seafood though. From what I remember their menu is more than just seafood too, my buddy got a ribeye which he seemed to enjoy.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I like Fiola. Nice menu overall, pretty good happy hour. I've only been twice though. Had the ahi carpaccio once and lobster ravioli the second time, both were very good. There's more than just seafood though. From what I remember their menu is more than just seafood too, my buddy got a ribeye which he seemed to enjoy.

Took my dad there for a quick pre-theatre dinner about a year or so ago. I had the veal cheeks and they were sublime.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

the_chavi posted:

Offer's not still good, is it?

Oh, sorry, hadn't seen your post since been in other subforums. I gots a bunch of dulcimers laying about the house, but I'm moving to Colombia on Wednesday. If you're around at all in the next few days, just swing on by Columbia Heights and I can sell you one cheap. I've got kinda meh but decent ones for maybe $45, nicer ones going up to $100 or so. I can show you some basics, and goons in the A/T "weird instruments" thread can help you press forward. Very intuitive instrument, you don't really need training on it, just feeling it out.

Separately, since I'm moving if any DC goons want my jars of pickled lemon, bacon fat, various booze tinctures, etc and can come by Columbia Heights/AdMo absolutely no later than Tuesday evening (ideally before), I can just chuck it all in a box for you.

For both dulcimer and chow stuff, if you want it email me at my username at Yahoo, or PM me (though I'm almost out of PM space, so re-send in a few hours if you get bounceback).

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Oh, sorry, hadn't seen your post since been in other subforums. I gots a bunch of dulcimers laying about the house, but I'm moving to Colombia on Wednesday. If you're around at all in the next few days, just swing on by Columbia Heights and I can sell you one cheap. I've got kinda meh but decent ones for maybe $45, nicer ones going up to $100 or so. I can show you some basics, and goons in the A/T "weird instruments" thread can help you press forward. Very intuitive instrument, you don't really need training on it, just feeling it out.

Separately, since I'm moving if any DC goons want my jars of pickled lemon, bacon fat, various booze tinctures, etc and can come by Columbia Heights/AdMo absolutely no later than Tuesday evening (ideally before), I can just chuck it all in a box for you.

For both dulcimer and chow stuff, if you want it email me at my username at Yahoo, or PM me (though I'm almost out of PM space, so re-send in a few hours if you get bounceback).

PM me your address. I'm being put behind the bar at a restaurant I work at and I need more weird poo poo to make fun drinks with. I'll take your booze stuff and the lemons if that's OK.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Just moved here around 2 weeks ago. Anyone have a good suggestion for a date night place around the NoMa/Union Station area?

Also, what's everyone's opinion on Indian food? I had a major craving today and went to Mint over by NoMa/Gallaudet for lunch before trying Aditi at Union Station after class for dinner. Felt like both of them were in the same weight class, although Mint wins because of the lunch buffet and some kickass butter chicken. Any other places I should check out?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

beefart posted:

Just moved here around 2 weeks ago. Anyone have a good suggestion for a date night place around the NoMa/Union Station area?

Also, what's everyone's opinion on Indian food? I had a major craving today and went to Mint over by NoMa/Gallaudet for lunch before trying Aditi at Union Station after class for dinner. Felt like both of them were in the same weight class, although Mint wins because of the lunch buffet and some kickass butter chicken. Any other places I should check out?

NoMA puts you close to Union Market (not the best dining, but pretty cool and casual and cornhole and also the pop up movie theater).
It's also not far off H St, and the french place there Le Grenier is pretty awesome IMO.

Indigo is pretty good Indian near H St as well, but not very date-y

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Rasika or Bombay Club are both great Indian restaurants. Rasika has more modern food and Bombay Club is more traditional.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Walked posted:

NoMA puts you close to Union Market (not the best dining, but pretty cool and casual and cornhole and also the pop up movie theater).
It's also not far off H St, and the french place there Le Grenier is pretty awesome IMO.

Boundary Rd is on the close side of H St and I really liked it when I went. I think it'd be a very nice date spot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Kushi is also only about four or five blocks from Union Station if you're in the mood for sushi.

I'd second Boundary Road as I was just there recently. The food was fine (didn't blow me away or anything, but was very solidly prepared) and the service was quite nice.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kedo posted:

Kushi is also only about four or five blocks from Union Station if you're in the mood for sushi.

I'd second Boundary Road as I was just there recently. The food was fine (didn't blow me away or anything, but was very solidly prepared) and the service was quite nice.

I wouldn't go there for a date, but the food court at Union Station (Kabuki) has really good, cheap sushi.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Does Rose's Luxury live up to all the hype proclaiming it best new restaurant in America, etc? I was thinking of going either there or Le Diplomate for my birthday, which I haven't been to either but I hear is supposed to be great. I'm leaning towards Le Diplomate simply because I'm not the hugest fan of the small plates idea -- I don't like the idea of having to order multiple dishes just to get full. Also I don't know if I'm keen on waiting in a long line on my birthday. But I am curious to hear from goons because I've heard this place is amazing

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

beefart posted:

I like Indique in Cleveland Park.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Anyone (everyone) have a good brunch place in Arlington? I have a brunch date tomorrow and I just realized I'm clueless about brunch places outside the District.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A Town is a quiet and romantic brunch spot

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

HiroProtagonist posted:

Anyone (everyone) have a good brunch place in Arlington? I have a brunch date tomorrow and I just realized I'm clueless about brunch places outside the District.

http://www.bayoubakeryva.com/

Great food, better Bloody Marie's. Do not skip the beignets.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

beefart posted:

Do you like South Indian? I love it for the variety of vegetables, tropical flavors, etc. A great way to break out of the "butter chicken and saag paneer" rut. There is very little South Indian in DC proper; there's Malgudi over in Glover Park, which had some neat offerings but middling execution.

For good South Indian you have to go out into the suburbs where more Indians live. For up north, I really like Woodlands Indian Bistro up in Langley Park, though you pretty much need a car to get up there, or else walk a good 40m from Takoma Metro, or figure out the buses. But it's a huge vegetarian buffet, place is packed with South Indian families, food really solid. There's another place called Woodlands down in Fairfax NoVA, but just down the road of it is Saravana Palace which I like far more.

South Indian food loving rocks.

Btw, I'm living in Bogotá now, so if any of you DC globetrotters have any must-eats for this place, let me know.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

By the way I brought the lemon rinds to work yesterday but forgot about them in the fridge. I'll try to work them into some drinks next time I'm behind the bar.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

HiroProtagonist posted:

Kinda late on this, but Lyon Hall, Liberty Tavern, Green Pig, or Eatbar would be my top choices, but Bayou is also great and I do like Ragtime's brunch. Lyon Hall and Eatbar are my favorites.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

DARPA Dad posted:

Does Rose's Luxury live up to all the hype proclaiming it best new restaurant in America, etc? I was thinking of going either there or Le Diplomate for my birthday, which I haven't been to either but I hear is supposed to be great. I'm leaning towards Le Diplomate simply because I'm not the hugest fan of the small plates idea -- I don't like the idea of having to order multiple dishes just to get full. Also I don't know if I'm keen on waiting in a long line on my birthday. But I am curious to hear from goons because I've heard this place is amazing

I thought it was pretty drat good. Small plates bug me a lot more when it's mediocre and I feel like I'm being gouged pricewise. I really didn't feel that way about Rose's Luxury. I should note that we got the brisket big plate which was both amazing and a huge amount of food. Honestly, it was one of the cheapest fancy meals I've had in DC.

We showed up at 5:30 on a Saturday and ended up waiting an hour and a half. And by that I mean we went to a nearby bar and hung out. This was before the Bon Appetit thing though. Don't know if that has actually made it any worse.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Wachepti posted:

Rasika or Bombay Club are both great Indian restaurants. Rasika has more modern food and Bombay Club is more traditional.

These are the two classy options I'd recommend for a date. Rasika is more hip and was at one time (and may still be) one of the top restaurants of DC.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

We got the reservations- we're going to minibar!

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
^^ Look forward to your review.

Co-worker went to Rose's Luxury a few weeks ago. Her group also had to wait a while (they too had drinks elsewhere) but she highly recommended the place.

Has anyone gone to Kapnos?

Top Chef is about the only TV show my wife enjoys watching so was thinking about giving the Isabella/Pagonis place a visit.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DARPA Dad posted:

My girlfriend works at Rose's Luxury so I've been there quite a few times (and am hopefully not too biased). The food is pretty fantastic and the service is some of the best you'll see from a casual restaurant. I've eaten at most of the top restaurants in DC by this point and I think Rose's is actually my favorite. The Bon Appetit article goes on a lot about how their mantra is to just make people happy, and while it sounds like a bunch of BS it actually feels that way. Heck, even if you're waiting in line they're out there giving you juice if it's hot, or bringing you an umbrella if it's raining. I've also never eaten there (even before I started dating an employee) without having at least one free dish on the house. The pork, habanero and lychee salad is off the walls tasty. Jerk chicken is also great but it's on the spicy side.

bergeoisie posted:

We showed up at 5:30 on a Saturday and ended up waiting an hour and a half. And by that I mean we went to a nearby bar and hung out. This was before the Bon Appetit thing though. Don't know if that has actually made it any worse.

There are definitely more people going now that they won best new restaurant in Bon Appetit, but it's still very possible to get in. Go on a Monday or Tuesday and get there as early as you can and you won't have to wait long (if at all). Unless you get there before 5:00 on Thurs – Fri you're going to be waiting a bit.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
I live in Reston and want your suggestions for really amazing Thai food, pretty please!

Also does anyone have any word on that bar they're building in the old Lakeside Grill? It's still not opened!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I live in Reston and want your suggestions for really amazing Thai food, pretty please!

Also does anyone have any word on that bar they're building in the old Lakeside Grill? It's still not opened!
Thai Tada in Herndon is my go-to, their crispy duck with Thai basil is great, the drunken noodles are great (but different from most places; my understanding is it's closer to what you'd get in Thailand, with ground/minced chicken and a thinner sauce? either way it's delicious), and I'd say more but I almost always rotate between drunken noodles and some variant of X with thai basil.

edit: also they definitely will make it spicy if that's what you're looking for

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Eatbar, one of my favorite places in Arlington is going to close soon:
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/bestbites/food-restaurant-news/arlingtons-tallula-and-eatbar-will-close.php

go while you can :(

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I like Thai Tada, but I might prefer Chao Phra Ya on the other side of the toll road in the Clocktower shopping center. Drunken Noodle Duck there is so good that I can rarely get anything else.

e: gently caress I love Eatbar. :( :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's Viet food, but Four Sisters in the Mosaic District by Dunn Loring metro is real good

• Locked thread