Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So has book 3 actually been good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So has book 3 actually been good?

Yes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I would venture to say it's way better than Book 2.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How is it good?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How is it good?
They fixed Bolin and Lin, for one thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They fixed Bolin and Lin, for one thing.

Also Korra is much more levelheaded, even moreso than Tenzin.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heh. Just when I get back into the show it gets taken off the air.

What would be awesome is of they just put all the rest of the episodes up at once on the streaming sites. This season flew by when I caught up with it.

I wouldn't bet on Nick footing the bill for the rest of Season 4's production, but there is more than a decent chance that Netflix/Amazon/Yahoo will step in and take over. Netflix is the safe guess (they bought Clone Wars from CN and paid for a final season) but Amazon currently has exclusive rights to ATLA streaming (and Yahoo have been in a buying mood as of late).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So Korra's actually grown up a bit from the end of Season 1 where she was an irrational dumbass who didn't think anything through and for some reason was celebrated for it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It figures when the show is actually good they take it behind the shed to shoot it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Korra's actually grown up a bit from the end of Season 1 where she was an irrational dumbass who didn't think anything through and for some reason was celebrated for it?

As someone who has been very hard on the show the last two seasons, just watch the stupid show again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

lelandjs posted:

What would be awesome is of they just put all the rest of the episodes up at once on the streaming sites. This season flew by when I caught up with it.

I wouldn't bet on Nick footing the bill for the rest of Season 4's production, but there is more than a decent chance that Netflix/Amazon/Yahoo will step in and take over. Netflix is the safe guess (they bought Clone Wars from CN and paid for a final season) but Amazon currently has exclusive rights to ATLA streaming (and Yahoo have been in a buying mood as of late).

It's all on Netflix in Europe, strangely enough, they must have a separate deal.

Also this is bollocks, but I was only watching the drat show online anyway because gently caress waiting for Nick UK to air the show a full year after the season ends.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes.I think they did that a purpose trying to go for a character arc and failed horribly.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How is it good?

1. Korra is not as obnoxious and pigheaded. She seems to have matured a bit and is more likable now.
2. Bolin isn't a creep anymore and is back to his endearing self.
3. Mako has a lesser role this time around and there is no relationship drama involving him. The only relationship in the show is between some kids, and it's not as annoying as the love triangle of previous seasons.
4. There are multiple villains in this book and all of them have very interesting designs and abilities.
5. The fights have been really awesome so far.
6. More focus on Lin, and some badass scenes with her.
7. The art has been utterly gorgeous. This should really be at the top of the list.
8. There are some pretty cool character development moments. In fact, there's more focus on the characters than on pure action compared to past books.
9. They left Republic City, which is as exactly what they needed to do.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I think that's plenty.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^Also the villains this season are pretty great and have some visually stunning fighting styles. They're also just really enjoyable to watch because they're good close friends who actually like each other despite being "evil".

At the very least, it sounds like we'll be getting the rest of Book 3 in some capacity online, which is good to hear. Do we have any idea how far into production Book 4 is? If it's already funded and/or almost finished, we can expect that it will either get vomited out to us like Book 3 is going to be, or sold off to someone who'll actually air it. Alternatively, if it is only in pre-production than Nick could pull the plug and we might be screwed unless somebody steps in to buy the rights.

Of course, my dream is that Nick sells off the rights to somebody else like Netflix (ala Clone Wars) and the creators can make the next season/series target an older demographic. I'm not saying they go full :black101: BLOOD AND VIOLENCE :black101:, but the ability to push the envelope just a little further would be nice, I think.

Of course, this is all assuming they're willing to sell the rights. For all I know Nick is raking in a half-way decent profit from toy & DVD sales, and won't be willing to part with it. :shrug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

As someone who has been very hard on the show the last two seasons, just watch the stupid show again.

Well apparently I can't now. :(

gently caress Nick. They were terrible about treating the original series in the third season. Holy hell the airing schedule for that was a clusterfuck.

Somehow they've topped themselves.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AshB posted:

The only relationship in the show is between some kids,
Assuming you're talking about Jinora and Kai, you're forgetting about Bolin and Su Yin.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
There's a lesson to be learned from all this (cue piano music).

If you ever happen to be in charge of marketing for a major network and six episodes of a legacy series get leaked early, don't rush the premiere months ahead of time and air half the season within a month. It'll just demolish any marketing plans you had, alienate the target demographic who are used to watching it between 4PM and 5PM after school, and castrate the chances for unencumbered ratings thus forever skewing the numbers.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Aw man, now you've just made me remember how hard it was watching ATLA Book 3. Every time it was on tv every day going through the whole series it would reach Nightmares and Daydreams, then just loop round to the start again, so I watched thinking maybe, just maybe this time I'll reach the end.

Nope, had the watch the rest of the drat thing online since they'd never show it! Or it'd be in between two episodes of Book 2 with no way of knowing.

Not that it matters, because it's only a kids show, right? Korra, Spongebob, iCarly, it's all the same, stick some flashing lights on, they won't tell the difference. Bah.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Also Korra is much more levelheaded, even moreso than Tenzin.

Also they realized that no one gives a poo poo about the love triangle, and that Mako is a much better character when they don't try to shove his greatness down our throats.

Nick is absolutely incompetent. They moved LoK into several terrible timeslots last season, gave us no updates on book 3 while it was finished enough to get foreign dubs and leaked online, then aired half the season after a week's notice with barely any advertising, had a week hiatus immediately after it started, and had no online viewing options at the start when LoK did fantastic numbers on iTunes the past two books. What the gently caress did they think was going to happen?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

^Also the villains this season are pretty great and have some visually stunning fighting styles. They're also just really enjoyable to watch because they're good close friends who actually like each other despite being "evil".

At the very least, it sounds like we'll be getting the rest of Book 3 in some capacity online, which is good to hear. Do we have any idea how far into production Book 4 is? If it's already funded and/or almost finished, we can expect that it will either get vomited out to us like Book 3 is going to be, or sold off to someone who'll actually air it. Alternatively, if it is only in pre-production than Nick could pull the plug and we might be screwed unless somebody steps in to buy the rights.
Pre-production on Book 4 wrapped up the day before Book 3 premiered, meaning that writing, storyboarding, and voice acting are all done.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I just hope the powers-that-be look at this as a sign of bad decision making on the corporate end as opposed to a drop in quality in the show.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What pays the bills for Nickelodeon? It apparently isn't Korra.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Level Slide posted:

Spongebob and Dan Schneider.

MrSlam posted:

I just hope the powers-that-be look at this as a sign of bad decision making on the corporate end as opposed to a drop in quality in the show.
There is a zero percent chance of that happening.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Level Slide posted:

The head of Nickelodeon goes to Ted Turner's mansion every week and they re-enact this scene from the Addam's Family:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NilkQeGsAVY

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Figures. :smithicide:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

i hate meatloaf posted:

Nick is absolutely incompetent. They moved LoK into several terrible timeslots last season, gave us no updates on book 3 while it was finished enough to get foreign dubs and leaked online, then aired half the season after a week's notice with barely any advertising, had a week hiatus immediately after it started, and had no online viewing options at the start when LoK did fantastic numbers on iTunes the past two books. What the gently caress did they think was going to happen?

They thought it was going to work out perfectly, because they're a room filled up with ancient marketing people and MBA's who don't understand what this whole "digital distribution" thing is all about. The solution to having the episodes leaked online is obviously to blast through the season until you get to the episodes that didn't leak, then make sure nothing is online so they have to watch it on our station! The ratings will double - no - triple! :downs:

And then of course that didn't happen and it must be the show's fault, not theirs. Their plan was flawless, as always.

Basically welcome to the egos that run old media.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

MrSlam posted:

This is the television industry; they'll just decide that female lead action cartoons don't work.

Or maybe they're banking on the fan outrage boosting ratings once it's shown again on TV this fall. :tinfoil:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

i hate meatloaf posted:

This is the television industry; they'll just decide that female lead action cartoons don't work.

Or maybe they're banking on the fan outrage boosting ratings once it's shown again on TV this fall. :tinfoil:
Not just the TV industry, seeing how we still haven't gotten a Wonder Woman film.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

you're forgetting about Bolin and Su Yin.

Forgetting about who now? :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm sure the leak and not hosting episodes online has been damaging, but I think the biggest reasons for the show not grabbing ratings now are:

1. The lovely animation on the show after a different studio took over for most of Book 2 and completely fumbled it.
2. Nick not doing a lick of promotion about book 3.

I echo the sentiment that shows often (but not always) get crap ratings because executives schedule them poorly or don't promote them properly. They're just like management at most companies though: They can be complete assholes, make boneheaded decisions, and they'll still be at the company after the good employees who they hosed around with are fired.

Unfortunately, with these ratings and movies forever poisoned by a horrible adaptation, it seems likely that Korra will be the last we see of the Avatar universe. Maybe there will be a few comics, at best, after Korra wraps. I'll be pretty content that we at least got more in the first place, and A:TLA is always there for a rewatch and is always going to rock (on the whole, I know not all A:TLA episodes are great).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

lelandjs posted:

"Hang tight, Korra fans. There is 1 new episode this Friday at 8, then the rest of the season will be available from various sites online. We'll let you know when we have more details. Thanks!"
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino

Book 4 was ordered forever ago since it's literally just a part of Season 2, I'd assume most of the money's down already, specially since they confirmed pre-production's over already.

So it looks like we watch Book 3 on Friday then binge-watch Book 4 as soon as it's done probably and if everything goes well Nick will let the Dark Horse comics go on and, idk, we get a 6-issue mini about Iroh being a badass at some point.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Unfortunately, with these ratings and movies forever poisoned by a horrible adaptation, it seems likely that Korra will be the last we see of the Avatar universe. Maybe there will be a few comics, at best, after Korra wraps.

I feel like you're seriously misjudging the current TV/online production trends. Hopefully if they still want to make more series in that world, they can eventually get it made elsewhere. (I don't think there will be anything immediately following Korra, but I'd be very surprised if they don't go back to that world in a big way eventually.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lelandjs posted:

I'm pretty sure Book 4 is more or less done. Nickelodeon has already sign the contract for it. If networks could just promise a show X amount of seasons and then decide to stop paying when they want Glee would've ended months ago.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

I'm sure the leak and not hosting episodes online has been damaging, but I think the biggest reasons for the show not grabbing ratings now are:

1. The lovely animation on the show after a different studio took over for most of Book 2 and completely fumbled it.
2. Nick not doing a lick of promotion about book 3.

I echo the sentiment that shows often (but not always) get crap ratings because executives schedule them poorly or don't promote them properly. They're just like management at most companies though: They can be complete assholes, make boneheaded decisions, and they'll still be at the company after the good employees who they hosed around with are fired.

Unfortunately, with these ratings and movies forever poisoned by a horrible adaptation, it seems likely that Korra will be the last we see of the Avatar universe. Maybe there will be a few comics, at best, after Korra wraps. I'll be pretty content that we at least got more in the first place, and A:TLA is always there for a rewatch and is always going to rock (on the whole, I know not all A:TLA episodes are great).

I didn't even know Book 3 started.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

If you think Pierrot was so bad that it affected the show's ratings among the 6 to 12 demographic then you are out of your goddamn mind.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't think 6-12 took that big of a hit, but I'm sure it turned off the 13+ crowd a fair amount.

Agree to disagree though, etc.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

NowonSA posted:

As poo poo as the animation might be only a handful of kids are going to notice, and if they stopped watching because of that then chances are they stopped watching Nickelodeon after the Spongebob movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

NowonSA posted:

I think, and I'm probably completely off base and don't know poo poo, that what's really hurting the show is that while these ratings and the bad movie are going, Nick literally has another action-adventure property revived from an old hit show with TMNT and it's doing way better: it sells a shitton of toys (motherfucking Chia Pets even), it's much cheaper, faster to produce (when we heard that book 3 was finally done, that show was already 44 episodes in, with four more episodes set to air three weeks later) and way higher ratings (their lowest rating episode got 1.9, and it's surrounded with 2.X, with 11 episodes going past 3) they even got a movie going that will suck balls, but it's Michael Bay so it'll do really good money. Without counting the praise the show gets compared to all the loud criticism Korra gets.

TL;DR: Nick's probably going "Well, this Korra stuff just isn't making as much money as TMNT."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Are there any comparisons of the animation? I didn't know they switched. Of course I haven't been watching so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are there any comparisons of the animation? I didn't know they switched. Of course I haven't been watching so...
Check the OP.

• Locked thread