Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

19 o'clock posted:

Precisely my frustration with it. How horrible are you, otherwise, that without the fear of God and eternal damnation that you would become a roaring psychopath? That were it not for a fear based system of rules you would sooner kill everyone than act with some decency?

Simple answer: It's not true, they get their ability to act decently from the same place everyone does, and they're making poo poo up to justify why their codified set of morals is superior. People frequently believe stupid poo poo about their own mind, it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Simple answer: It's not true, they get their ability to act decently from the same place everyone does, and they're making poo poo up to justify why their codified set of morals is superior. People frequently believe stupid poo poo about their own mind, it turns out.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

You know, I'm with Tyler on this one. We should all aspire towards godhood. :)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ansiktsburk posted:

Please enjoy some poo poo from Mike Huckabee's Facebook page:

I bolded my favorite part, but I'm also a big fan of the bit where he thinks that we should just be able to rely on charity from people, many of whom have spent weeks now being whipped up into a frenzy regarding refugees/migrants.

I also like the implication that with about $31.4 million dollars (one dime per person in the USA) he can solve the problems of the poor

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75oun5gvDAU&t=8m37s

Man, how nerdy am I?

(The answer is: "too nerdy.")

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Everblight posted:

One of my favorite idiomatic differences is "Death to [X]," which sounds bad but in reality is used a billion times a day in Muslim cultures, to the point where cabbies will yell "Death to Traffic Lights!" when they catch a red.

It doesn't mean anything stronger than "I don't like thing," so "Death to America" is not really a threat.

So it's a bit like how westerners say "drat it"? I mean, taken literally, if you say "drat these traffic lights", you are saying "I hope these traffic lights suffer an eternity of torture in hell", but everyone knows you actually mean "these traffic lights are a mild annoynace".

...who would have guessed that languages which developed from entirely different places and cultures would have expressions that aren't 100% accurately translatable :ms:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magres posted:

I also like the implication that with about $31.4 million dollars (one dime per person in the USA) he can solve the problems of the poor

I think he meant a flat10% of everyones income, not just a dime.

Yet again trying to push a retarded flat tax.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fulchrum posted:

I think he meant a flat10% of everyones income, not just a dime.

Yet again trying to push a retarded flat tax.

Y'all are being dumb. He was talking about religious tithes to churches (which generally expect 10% of your income but who usually get far less from their attending people), who will totally spend that money on charities and not 70' stainless steel crosses for the new sanctuary.

So if everyone in the US (all the real citizens are christians, after all) gave that money to the megachurches, Pastor Huckabee swears that this whole "starving" and "refugee" thing would just blow over. Now if the government would just DO ITS JOB in the interim and keep these filthy poors illegal border-crossers off our finely manicured lawns, we wouldn't really have the problem here to begin with, would we?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Which Chick tract is that from? I want to know what happens. I mean, I'm sure it involves faceless shining God somehow.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Which Chick tract is that from? I want to know what happens. I mean, I'm sure it involves faceless shining God somehow.

Looks like "moving on up"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

That kids loving face is just the best goddamned thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If I didn't love my exasperated Sanic I'd have a new avatar right now :allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

You know, I'm with Tyler on this one. We should all aspire towards godhood. :)

BRB, gonna go throw some naked people out of a garden and burn down a couple of cities.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

McDowell posted:

My morality comes from the (Christian) message of Bill & Ted and their utopian future

'Be Excellent To Each Other'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_yJFLvmjJY

No joke, I'm the same way.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Hard to make anything but a cheap joke out of the kid's expression, but...

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Hard to make anything but a cheap joke out of the kid's expression, but...

:thurman:

So good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:sobornost:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
That second panel would have a shade of a point if evangelical christians weren't firmly in bed with randian social darwinists.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

So my facebook is the most smug leftie echo chamber ever so I've never thought I'd really need this thread, but I do!

A stated radical, pacifist that I know tangentially who has directed anti-war theatre shows and basically should know better (but who also happens to be Israeli) has just gone crazy in the last week and is posting non-stop shares of stuff by The Israel Project and the IDF. A few days ago when she started posting Glenn Beck clips I suggested she might want to look into who he is before sharing his messages and she jumped down my throat (I'm in Australia so he's not so well known here).

Today she's posting Breitbart links.

Does anyone have a good link that basically sums up how terrible Breitbart.com is? All I can find on google are very partisan looking sites that won't convince anyone. As I said her politics have always seemed so much more left-wing I feel like the right takedown could actually convince her to think a bit more critically about the things she's sharing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Breitbart.com is named for its founder, Andy Breitbart, who basedically made a career out of accusing Democrats of saying things they didn't. One of the nastier such incidents was when he edited a tape to transform Shirley Sherrod's tale of abandoning her dislike of white people into a screed about how much she hates white people, leading to her losing her job. He also provided the money and media access to James "Lee Atwater without even the good taste to be good at it" O'Keefe.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Breitbart.com is named for its founder, Andy Breitbart, who basedically made a career out of accusing Democrats of saying things they didn't. One of the nastier such incidents was when he edited a tape to transform Shirley Sherrod's tale of abandoning her dislike of white people into a screed about how much she hates white people, leading to her losing her job. He also provided the money and media access to James "Lee Atwater without even the good taste to be good at it" O'Keefe.

I know, I know, I'm just wondering if there's a good link I can share to her that basically says all that.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Pope Guilty posted:

Also, "STOP RAPING PEOPLE. STOP RAPING PEOPLE!"

but lmao the Syrian war has been daily news for over 2 loving years, and it's turned into two sides(well 3 or 4 really) slugging it out, both on somewhat equal footing, causing immense casualties to each other. Also ISIS is part of that war and has been in the news constantly for its atrocities lately. Israel/Palestine is like my 6'1" self kicking a 7 year old all day long.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Good to see the Republicans are discovering their concern for the Syrian people. Remember when they were all gung-ho for going in and intervening after the chemical weapons attacks a few years ago? Man, if only Obama hadn't decided that the US shouldn't intervene...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yeah, I had a friend pull the "it must be anti-semitism because no one talks about Iraq, Syria and Saudi Arabia yet they are so much worse than what Israel is doing."

I called him out with how we went to Iraq to stop Saddam from killing his people yet the genocides in Africa have been going on for a decade at at least. Bush had a vested interest in Saddam just like the US has a vested interest in Israel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, I had a friend pull the "it must be anti-semitism because no one talks about Iraq, Syria and Saudi Arabia yet they are so much worse than what Israel is doing."

I called him out with how we went to Iraq to stop Saddam from killing his people yet the genocides in Africa have been going on for a decade at at least. Bush had a vested interest in Saddam just like the US has a vested interest in Israel.

Almost all the ICC prosecutions have been over African "situations", too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Yeah, they're acting like decent human beings because they're decent human beings. The problem is what you said for one, that people are defensive of their religion and will justify endlessly. Also Christians (anecdotally, I grew up Roman Catholic, am no longer) are fed a constant line about our bestial nature being right below the surface. Without constant maintaining the evil will erupt like weeds in a garden.

Few people self-flagellate anymore, but you still see people psychologically abusing themselves and policing their families instead of accepting normal thoughts/experiences/feelings/actions. I don't even want to get into the things I've heard women in my family say about abusive husbands, or LGBT friends say about parents who kicked them out/cut them off, all because of some unattainable virtuousness.

I can understand wanting to be pious, but I think crippling oneself will make the pilgrimage harder.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sardine Wit posted:

So my facebook is the most smug leftie echo chamber ever so I've never thought I'd really need this thread, but I do!

A stated radical, pacifist that I know tangentially who has directed anti-war theatre shows and basically should know better (but who also happens to be Israeli) has just gone crazy in the last week and is posting non-stop shares of stuff by The Israel Project and the IDF. A few days ago when she started posting Glenn Beck clips I suggested she might want to look into who he is before sharing his messages and she jumped down my throat (I'm in Australia so he's not so well known here).

Today she's posting Breitbart links.

Does anyone have a good link that basically sums up how terrible Breitbart.com is? All I can find on google are very partisan looking sites that won't convince anyone. As I said her politics have always seemed so much more left-wing I feel like the right takedown could actually convince her to think a bit more critically about the things she's sharing.

Ahh yes, the "media only covers when Israel kills people!" despite literally every media outlet in America and most of the first world doing exactly the opposite. It's like the new conservative battlecry for any conservative point of view is "the media only covers what makes us look bad!"

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I love it when you call someone out on Facebook for posting something that is false and they respond by deleting it.

A guy I went to high school with posted a fake quote from Patrick Henry:

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government — lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

I simply called out that Patrick Henry never said that.

He commented and asked if I enjoy being a wet blanket and then deleted everything.

I wanted to ask him if he enjoyed posting things that are false and being the best cheerleader he can be.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
As an atheist when people ask me about my morals this is my answer:

"Before I think about doing anything to another person, I imagine myself in their shoes and question if it would hurt me if they did this to me. If this action hurts others - I won't do it. I spend my life avoiding causing others pain as much as I can"

Golden rule!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lady and gentlemen, my sister:

quote:

Heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, pansexual, transexual, trangsgender, etc etc etc. These are just words we need to fit things into the boxes that linear teaching constructed in our brains. You would think that with the general dumbing down of the American english language, these words would have been thrown out. And yet we give them so much weight. Only 1 out of these words are allowed into heaven. Only 1 out of these words will not get you most likely killed in certain other countries. Only 1 out of these words will cause uncontrollable rage in complete strangers. How about we just stick with calling eachother people?

But then some asshat will start in, "i am not a person, i am a being inhabiting a flesh vessel." Next thing you know people will want to be called a lamp or something else equally as stupid.

I was just trying to write a seristatus about the stupidity of putting all this weight on words and I wound up reminding myself how much I hate people.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I saw that my aunt commented on a local news company running the Arizona man who was subjected to prolonged lethal injection. Literally every comment was along the lines of "Good, that man deserved to suffer" or "I don't see what's wrong with that" as the comments.

God, some Americans just love the idea of killing people.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

Lady and gentlemen, my sister:

drat, thought it was going to be something about how people don't need to be labeled by their sexuality, then got to "Only 1 out of these words are allowed into heaven."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Duke Igthorn's Sister posted:

Only 1 out of these words are allowed into heaven.

But then some asshat will start in, "i am not a person, i am a being inhabiting a flesh vessel."

So what, are we spiritual beings that can ascend to heaven, or physical beings that are defined by our bodies? It's pretty unusual to find someone who believes in heaven but doesn't think there is more to self than meat.

Maybe she hasn't thought this through too much!

stan worship
Oct 23, 2013

Duke Igthorn posted:

Heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, pansexual, transexual, trangsgender, etc etc etc. These are just words we need to fit things into the boxes that linear teaching constructed in our brains. You would think that with the general dumbing down of the American english language, these words would have been thrown out. And yet we give them so much weight. Only 1 out of these words are allowed into heaven. Only 1 out of these words will not get you most likely killed in certain other countries. Only 1 out of these words will cause uncontrollable rage in complete strangers. How about we just stick with calling eachother people?

But then some asshat will start in, "i am not a person, i am a being inhabiting a flesh vessel." Next thing you know people will want to be called a lamp or something else equally as stupid.

I was just trying to write a seristatus about the stupidity of putting all this weight on words and I wound up reminding myself how much I hate people.

Man, that would be depressing, coming from a family member.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Breadallelogram posted:

drat, thought it was going to be something about how people don't need to be labeled by their sexuality, then got to "Only 1 out of these words are allowed into heaven."
She's a lesbian in an interracial relationship!
She posts poo poo like this constantly and, when called out on it, either memory holes it or goes "lol I just thought it was funny!" and then refuses to elaborate
Edit:

Ashcans posted:

Maybe she hasn't thought this through too much!
Oh, I see you've met her.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

She's a lesbian in an interracial relationship!
She posts poo poo like this constantly and, when called out on it, either memory holes it or goes "lol I just thought it was funny!" and then refuses to elaborate
Edit:

Oh, I see you've met her.

Oh, I misunderstood. The heaven comment was sarcasm. It's a confusing post.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm sure when she gets there, God will arrange for her mansion to be in the heavenly gay village.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Regardless of creed, race, orientation or occupation, people can and always will be absolute idiots.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Breadallelogram posted:

I don't think that's her opinion. I think she's speaking for people who hold that belief as an example as to why labels are bad.

It's a good message, about how labels are just creating little boxes instead of acknowledging a spectrum of millions of possibilities in gender/sexuality, but really awkwardly conveyed and ignoring a lot of context that we need those labels the way society is at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It reminds me of something my mom says

'I'm not pro gay marriage, I'm pro normal marriage for gay people.'

I just about facepalm every goddamned time I hear her say it because it's the most asinine way to say 'yes I am pro gay rights.'