Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The reason copying the iTunes Library directory directly over works is because of the iTunes Library.itl file within which contains all the information about how your library is structured.
…but again, the point is that the method the program itself offers is something completely different from the method that works: its only setting is to point to a directory for the media files, which doesn't alter where the database is stored. In other words, the program itself only offers a highly fragile option and lacks the logic to deal with the many situations that this option will inevitably give rise to.

quote:

It sounds like you're just copying the music directory over and adding it to a fresh iTunes install, which is the incorrect way to do things.
Nope. Again, it's all about the media folder setting — a setting iTunes is very happy to nuke given the slightest excuse, and which requires all kinds of hoop-jumping to restore without creating dupes and/or a db wipe.

tl;dr: iTunes is an awful UI hack on top of an awful sql hack, news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I have copied my iTunes folder a half-dozen times across 3 computers, moving from Windows to OSX in the middle, and have never had any problems with it being "fragile". I have copied my wife's iTunes folder across 3 computers as well, moving from Windows to OSX in the middle, and have never had any problems with it being "fragile". In all cases, I moved the iTunes folder, ran iTunes, and told it to point to the new folder. No problems at all. :shrug:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
iTunes thread is that-a-way nerds!

(It's me. I'm the guy that originally brought up iTunes and started this derail. Forgive me for my sins.)

EDIT: For actual content... They've changed the way that album view works and I think it's more visually appealing than the way it worked before. Basically now they take the whole album art and just apply a huge gently caress-off gaussian blur to the entire thing and use that as the background. Works nicer than the lame edge detect thing they were using from before.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 22, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Tippis posted:

tl;dr: iTunes is an awful UI hack on top of an awful sql hack, news at 11.
Will they also cover the story about how you're a dumb gently caress because then I can't wait to watch!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Will they also cover the story about how you're a dumb gently caress because then I can't wait to watch!

No, but there is this neat story about a mass-outbreak of projection that you should probably pay attention to.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
For the next macbooks they should make the apple logo be the rainbow edition instead of boring white.

I googled rainbow apple sticker, it looks like you can buy one, yay!

e: I also found a woman who opened the screen to put a rainbow sticker underneath the back :gonk:

edit 2: I should probably post this in the hardware thread...

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 22, 2014

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Tippis posted:

Yes there is.

No there isn't. I copied my entire iTunes folder from my Windows PC to an external drive and then I dropped it from the external into the ~/Music directory on my new Mac. I then ran iTunes on the Mac and all was good. I didn't even have to re-sync my iPhone.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Maybe everyone else here missed the part where he said that none of the music is actually located inside of the iTunes folder, and is just strewn across his drive at random. In which case, good luck getting the itl file to match up with it when moving it to another machine, short of just mirroring the entire drive.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

kode54 posted:

Maybe everyone else here missed the part where he said that none of the music is actually located inside of the iTunes folder, and is just strewn across his drive at random. In which case, good luck getting the itl file to match up with it when moving it to another machine, short of just mirroring the entire drive.

it's not even that bad. The media files aren't really “strewn about" but all sit nicely organised in a single directory structure managed by iTunes itself. But yes, the entire problem comes from that structure not existing outside of the iTunes folder on a separate volume. The head scratcher lies with the fact that iTunes itself suggests this separation between db and files, but then fails to account for some very obvious scenarios this gives rise to. And above all, you can no longer simply move the directory of you want to migrate the library.

But anyway, as mentioned, the iTunes threads is somewhere else — this was mainly a question of whether the version bundled with Yosemite had done away with this inconsistent behaviour.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 23, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Tippis posted:

it's not even that bad. The media files aren't really “strewn about" but all sit nicely organised in a single directory structure managed by iTunes itself. But yes, the entire problem comes from that structure not existing outside of the iTunes folder on a separate volume. The head scratcher lies with the fact that iTunes itself suggests this separation between db and files, but then fails to account for some very obvious scenarios this gives rise to. And above all, you can no longer simply move the directory of you want to migrate the library.

But anyway, as mentioned, the iTunes threads is somewhere else — this was mainly a question of whether the version bundled with Yosemite had done away with this inconsistent behaviour.

Yes. Apple has simply just overlooked the ability to move your library. Sons of bitches.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Yes. Apple has simply just overlooked the ability to move your library. Sons of bitches.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

You really do have a reading problem, don't you? Like I said, brittle and does not account for some very obvious scenarios.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Mac OS X and Mac Software - Mostly just iTunes Library talk

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Yosemite public beta starts tomorrow. Sign up if you're interested:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram

A ton of previews went up today to coincide with the announcement. Here are just a few:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/07/preview-a-closer-look-at-os-x-yosemite-just-in-time-for-the-public-beta/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/23/5927947/mac-os-x-10-10-yosemite-preview
http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/os-x-yosemite-preview/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Textual will be free on the Mac App Store on July 23rd. It's also when the beta begins for their next major release. It's my favorite IRC client for OS X and was the first thing I purchased when the MAS opened.
Reminder that today is that day!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don't use IRC much but I'll give it a go to see how it stacks up vs Limechat, thanks :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TACD posted:

I don't use IRC much but I'll give it a go to see how it stacks up vs Limechat, thanks :)
IIRC Textual originally forked from Limechat like 4 or 5 years ago.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Do these typically require a flatten & reinstall when the full version comes out?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Milkman posted:

Do these typically require a flatten & reinstall when the full version comes out?
There is no "typically" in this case because the last public beta of OS X was 14 years ago. I don't really count the Mavericks minor updates.

Because it's public though, I expect they'll try to make the testing and upgrade process as seamless as possible and make it possible to update to the GM. Make no assumptions though and have your backups ready.

gregday
May 23, 2003

They have said you will be able to update the public betas all the way through to and including the final release.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

You really do have a reading problem, don't you? Like I said, brittle and does not account for some very obvious scenarios.

Pivo posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Mac OS X and Mac Software - Mostly just iTunes Library talk

I haven't really been reading the posts, but Tippis, if you need help I made an iTunes thread over here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022963

I really need to update the OP, but I might as well wait until 12 comes out. But I say that all the time about updating the OP.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Regarding IRC clients, it would be really great to have something more like Slack, where I connect to a server that's stored the the conversation or whatever of the channel. That way, I can have one user from all my devices, and also not miss stuff just because my home Internet connection decided to poo poo itself (or, you know, I finally get a laptop and take it someplace else).

VVV :aaaaa: I had no idea there was such a thing.

Axiem fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 24, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You're describing an IRC bouncer and plenty of IRC clients support it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
ZNC is one of the popular IRC bouncers, and supports limited backlog sending on new client connections.

Alternately, you could try Quassel or Smuxi, if you have a machine to run those on as long as you want the connection up, and can expose a port to connect in from your client devices. Both of these are full clients that are split between a core module that handles all the IRC server interaction and logging, and a client application that provides the pretty interface to it. Of course, both of these use app specific interfaces, so they can only be viewed with their own client software, be it desktop or mobile.

As I said above, WeeChat and Glowing Bear also provide a similar experience. Glowing Bear is also available on the Google Play store, if you put in the right search phrases to find it. Plugging in Glowing Bear finds 250 apps, adding "irc" to the search narrows it down so the correct app is #10 in the search results. This one can be configured to proxy regular IRC protocol for a desktop or mobile client, but Glowing Bear is somewhat more powerful, since you can also command it to go back and retrieve even more backlog, and it handles server side scripting and unread and highlight message tracking.

Bit of a pain to set up any of those, though. Pick one, I can help with any of them. Or all of them.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I'm going with one of the free ZNC servers for now, although I'm having trouble connecting it to synirc--though some of it is that I'm trying to figure out how to use Textual while I'm trying to figure out how to use ZNC. I'm a sucker for punishment.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Axiem posted:

I'm going with one of the free ZNC servers for now, although I'm having trouble connecting it to synirc--though some of it is that I'm trying to figure out how to use Textual while I'm trying to figure out how to use ZNC. I'm a sucker for punishment.

Alot of people I know run ZNC on the free tier from Amazon EC2, I have the $14 a year VPS through https://securedragon.net/ but you can also run it on the $10 a year one. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway I just use a couple of VPS's from them and for $10 a year they have been really great. ZNC is also really easy to setup on your own. Some networks block free providers or limit the connections so it's nice to have your own static IP.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I run my ZNC on the lowest tier digital ocean VM for $5 a month. It works well with Textual.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you have a desktop computer at home that's always on, you can just run irssi and use dynamic DNS and just ssh into it and screen it, no bouncer required... I always thought bouncers were a little too much work for little benefit because realistically you're only going to be accessing your poo poo from one place at a time, but I guess if you want to use Textual it's the best option. I just use two nicks, one with Textual the other with irssi, then everyone in the chan knows I'm not at home if I'm chatting from my alt nick.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

crazysim posted:

I run my ZNC on the lowest tier digital ocean VM for $5 a month. It works well with Textual.

My plan eventually would be to do my own ZNC server, I just don't have the dedicated hosting at the moment and can't convince my wife to open the purse strings. So I'll stick with a free one, see how it works out--if it ends up that I don't actually use IRC anymore, then it becomes a moot point anyway.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Doesn't appear to be free... it appears to be $4.99

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Djimi posted:

If you really want it for free you can compile it from source if you have Xcode, it's open source.

Today is their birthday, I just assumed SWSP wasn't bullshitting about it being free today, but to be honest I see the same $4.99 you do.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Appshopper still lists it as free.

http://appshopper.com/mac/social-networking/textual-irc-client

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Djimi posted:

Then you missed it. It was free this morning when I posted that.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, I grabbed it for free earlier today.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Just pay the five dollars it's worth it.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Then you missed it. It was free this morning when I posted that.
So trying to download something listed as 'free' for that day and being in the same time zone as Apple Inc., doesn't in fact mean anything? Does that mean people in Honolulu had to it purchase it by 5:00 p.m. or something in the afternoon? Do online 'App' stores need to close down before the end of the day, lest all the transistors on silicon get tired? I know how to tell time. I purposely waited until I got home (on my own time, not at work, to download it). But go on, please defend Apple, as you're wont to do — I suppose I'm the idiot for thinking that a day meant 24 hours.

Mad Wack posted:

Just pay the five dollars it's worth it.
I'm sure it's a great app - I'm not really doing much on IRC like I was 15+ years ago. I was just mildly interested in checking it out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Djimi posted:

So trying to download something listed as 'free' for that day and being in the same time zone as Apple Inc., doesn't in fact mean anything? Does that mean people in Honolulu had to it purchase it by 5:00 p.m. or something in the afternoon? Do online 'App' stores need to close down before the end of the day, lest all the transistors on silicon get tired? I know how to tell time. I purposely waited until I got home (on my own time, not at work, to download it). But go on, please defend Apple, as you're wont to do — I suppose I'm the idiot for thinking that a day meant 24 hours.
The developer decides how and when to set their pricing. As far as I know, there's no "make it free on this date" option that Apple then enforces. It's not like the daily Steam sales that kick in at 10AM PST every time. I think maybe the officially sanctioned freebie "App of the Week" stuff might update at the same time, but I've never followed it that closely. In this case though, the developer simply logs in and changes the price, and then they change it back whenever they want. Blame the Textual dev for arbitrarily picking the window when it was free I guess. If redirecting your misguided outrage counts as defending Apple, then I guess I'm guilty of that.

edit:

Sorry you missed out.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 24, 2014

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Djimi posted:

But go on, please defend Apple, as you're wont to do — I suppose I'm the idiot

You got that second part right, on account of calling people biased.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Enjoyed this also:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

The Milkman posted:

if you aren't running time machine backups of your data already do not upgrade to beta

if you aren't ok with reformatting your mac entirely and booting off a rescue usb stick do not upgrade to beta

if you aren't ok with total data loss, do not upgrade to beta

etc etc

reformat + new install won't hurt, and I usually end up doing it since my data is backed up in time machine and various cloud storage services anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Djimi posted:

The developer sets the price of their apps whenever they want. What does Apple have to do with this at all? This wasn't an Apple promotion.