Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Malcolm posted:

I can't think of a single way this currently impacts the game, but goddamnit I love it. Is blue blood a requirement for certain moods or cooking recipes? Can a plucky adventurer utilize the unique nature of a blue blooded horseshoe crab to escape certain death? Only time, and future updates will tell!

This allows crabs to have vast monarchies that will show up in the legends.

:ughh: puns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Malcolm posted:

I can't think of a single way this currently impacts the game, but goddamnit I love it. Is blue blood a requirement for certain moods or cooking recipes? Can a plucky adventurer utilize the unique nature of a blue blooded horseshoe crab to escape certain death? Only time, and future updates will tell!

They now autofill noble positions

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lawman 0 posted:

So will the reenabled elven diplomat/liaison allow us to order things from the elves?

All you needed to do was add a noble to the elven entity whose responsibilities are negotiating trade agreements, same with humans. At least DFHack doesn't need to automate patching that little oversight anymore.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lawman 0 posted:

So will the reenabled elven diplomat/liaison allow us to order things from the elves?

No, he'll stare at you while you sleep then wake up you to yell at you for cutting down a tree, ever.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

Maple eh? Is there something about maple that the Canadians are keeping secret?

The natural flame-retardant qualities of maple syrup, and the disarming charm of a friendly Canuck.

"I don't mean to bother you, but, would you mind if I bash you in the right rear foot with my silver war hammer? Thanks so much." :canada:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dungeon Ecology posted:

The natural flame-retardant qualities of maple syrup, and the disarming charm of a friendly Canuck.

"I don't mean to bother you, but, would you mind if I bash you in the right rear foot with my silver war hammer? Thanks so much." :canada:

Make some maple warhammers, give them to some :canada: dwarfs. Tell them the goblins have the puck.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

In hoc signo vinces

Edit: Breaking =*Granite Tables*=

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 24, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lawman 0 posted:

It will allow the elves to order things from you, namely: "stop murdering trees you loving assholes."

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
DFHack-enhanced dwarves are a helluva thing:

:stare:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sauzer posted:

DFHack-enhanced dwarves are a helluva thing:

:stare:

"You wanna play a little grabass?"
"OK, but you have to give it back this time."

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

And as the Frog Woman swordsman lies on the ground, bleeding profusely out of her hip and the hole where her buttcheek used to be, she croaks out "b-But I'm a woman..."

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I though DFHACK wasn't working with the latest version?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

And as the Frog Woman swordsman lies on the ground, bleeding profusely out of her hip and the hole where her buttcheek used to be, she croaks out "b-But I'm a woman..."

The overseer stares blankly.

"Repressing in five..."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LeJackal posted:

It's up on Windows, others coming soon.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

LeJackal posted:

That's actually in Masterwork so it's the oldish version.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Subjunctive posted:

Can you link to that? The forums thread is still showing an old version that isn't updated yet.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Could you:

A) Provide a link to it for me?

and

B) Tell me if it has some way to heal a dwarf? My expedition leader got punched by a tantruming peasant and now he just lays around being unconscious. :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139915.msg5436528#msg5436528

No idea about healing.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Doesn't work for me :shrug:

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
So I decided to play some DF considering the new patch!

I boot up my fortress, while I'm watching my initial bit of fort be dug out, I find out that 3 of my guys died to a tick woman.

10/10, would lose again. Poor suckers never stood a chance.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Mystery Machine posted:

So I decided to play some DF considering the new patch!

I boot up my fortress, while I'm watching my initial bit of fort be dug out, I find out that 3 of my guys died to a tick woman.

10/10, would lose again. Poor suckers never stood a chance.

Hehe

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ok, is the training of war animals defunct? I've got a Kennel constructed, several dwarves with Animal Trainer and Trapper enabled, several uncaged stray dogs running around, but when I open up the New Task option under the Kennel, all I have is Tame a Small Animal and Capture a Live Land Animal.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Animal training has been moved to an Activity Zone, and you designate what animals to train and who will train them from the Animals menu.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I just had the bug/feature where underground trees will suddenly grow and annihilate anything in it's path. A blood thorn grew in the small staging area I dug out right beneath ground level and now there's a giant hole in the ceiling.

EDIT: Also it looks like woodworking is a lot better than I thought. One log will produce multiple crafts in one job. I haven't noticed if stonecrafts do the same, or if that was the case is .34 as well.

Elth fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 24, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OwlFancier posted:

Did you shout "falcon punch!" while you did so?

Holy poo poo. :vince:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

Could you:

A) Provide a link to it for me?

and

B) Tell me if it has some way to heal a dwarf? My expedition leader got punched by a tantruming peasant and now he just lays around being unconscious. :ohdear:

I haven't seen the new version or whatever yet but

'dfusion'
'3'
'5'

should heal the dwarf currently selected.

There's even a way to resurrect dwarves from the dead but I don't remember how.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 24, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Neurion posted:

Animal training has been moved to an Activity Zone, and you designate what animals to train and who will train them from the Animals menu.

Is it possible to train dogs who are already the pets of dwarves?

I put two dogs into an Activity Zone, turned on Training and Pen/Pasture, walled off the area and put in a doorway that it tightly shut. Went to my trainer who has animal training and trapping enabled, pressed P for preferences, but he says that there are no animals left to train...

I dunno...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I put two dogs into an Activity Zone, turned on Training and Pen/Pasture, walled off the area and put in a doorway that it tightly shut. Went to my trainer who has animal training and trapping enabled, pressed P for preferences, but he says that there are no animals left to train...

I dunno...

Nup, pets are unavailable.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Crazy.

I was wondering why holes were appearing above my farm area. It turns out that when trees or fungus grow they'll poke out the Z levels above where they grow. I must have set my dwarves to cut down fungal trees without realizing, making these holes appear.

Now that I noticed it there are a bunch of fungal trees growing from my farm (and the level below) and sprouting on the surface.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I dunno...

To train, you go into the animals menu (like for slaughtering)

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I dunno...

Press 'I' to get your zone menu, lay out a zone of any size in any location, press 'T' to designate it for animal training.

Ensure there is a dwarf with the Animal Training labour enabled.

Press 'Z' to open your fortress status screen, go to the 'Animals' tab, and scroll through the list to find your dogs. Highlight a dog, and either press 'H' to train it as a hunting dog, or 'W' to train it as a war dog.

The dogs don't need to be pastured in the training zone, your trainer will lead them there from wherever they are (even if they are pastured in a different zone). The zone also doesn't need to be walled off. As near as I can tell theres nothing wrong with just allocating any old tile you please.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Ok I'm stuck in a catch 22.

No wood to make charcoal to make metal to make axe to make wood.

Somehow I missed the second year's caravan (even though I got the dialogue about priorities) and missed out on trading 200+ precious fire opals

No wood for beds and can't make anything metal. Caravan dude also told me about a goblin king who's conquered 40-something towns. How do I escape this poverty cycle before goblin dude invades?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

ScottyWired posted:

Somehow I missed the second year's caravan (even though I got the dialogue about priorities) and missed out on trading 200+ precious fire opals

No wood for beds and can't make anything metal. Caravan dude also told me about a goblin king who's conquered 40-something towns. How do I escape this poverty cycle before goblin dude invades?

Do you have an anvil?

If so you can dig down and look for magma to heat your furnaces with.

It may also be a good time to set up enough traps to defend (or just seal up) your fortress before the goblins come knocking.

edit: that might be more immediately useful to you, deconstruct the original wagon if you haven't already
v v v v v

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 24, 2014

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Do you have any building made with wood? Break it down and make a wood training axe.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

ScottyWired posted:

Underground caverns are generally teeming with ripe, colorful trees. I'd say your best bet is to lock yourself in if you're worried about sieges you can't handle and dig down into a cavern.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Note that a wooden training axe will work just as well for cutting down trees, so you don't need the metalcrafting step.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ScottyWired posted:

If you have Pickaxes you could try to dig for coal. Also if you didn't do anything stupid with it, you wagon should be made of wood.
Or you trade your pants/bonecrafts/stonecrafts for a lump of coal or wood with the next caravan.

e: I never tried it, but what happens when you tunnel under a tree and cause a cave in? Doesn't it turn into wood?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

tonberrytoby posted:

e: I never tried it, but what happens when you tunnel under a tree and cause a cave in? Doesn't it turn into wood?

If this works, there's your solution. Channel down through the tiles around a tree and its roots, have a relatively expendable miner with a quick escape route dig through the bottom of the "pillar" under the tree, and use one of the logs to make a wooden training axe. Your woodcutter can use the wooden axe to cut down trees.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I'm pretty sure it vanishes without making wood.

Dig down to the adamantine, make an adamantine axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

While the DFHack development is slowly churning towards the finish line, some fucker already made some more UI improvements. With the adventure mode having a new lease on life, this new inventory isn't unwelcome at all:

Before:

After:

After + sorting:

The EIW column marks edibility, interactability and wearable poo poo once that bit is functional.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 24, 2014