Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:dance:JUDGE JUNEY:dance:
(sorry)

This oath season is coming along just so splendidly. Choosing favorite paint jobs is even harder than choosing favorite nobel peace prize winners! Well, here goes.

1 Point - Gareth Gobulcoque

This is such a characterful little portrait. It's something a bit rare; a miniature not in combat of some kind. He's just looking out to sea, thinking maybe about how the raid tomorrow is going to go down, or how he had a suspiciously delicious burger just now and thinks that might have been cotija cheese on it. The palette is what drew me in, it's convincingly realistic and sort of wistful looking, the water looks inviting and the sand looks... sandy. The grass fits well, it has a slightly stiff feel because it isn't blowing like the model's jacket but I'd guess that'd be pretty tough to achieve without looking weird. Also the Dreadfleet stuff continues to look wonderful, and setting these two different styles next to each other says a lot for your versatility as a painter.

2 Points - Vermintide

I want this guy to be on an Iron Maiden album cover. That's a lovely purple. He stands out great against his base, the two completely different schemes creating an eery halloween vibe that's reinforced by the twisty branches and satisfyingly dry-looking dry grass. Also, y'know, the undead emerging from their earthy graves. The skull makes a good focal point, your OSL making it appear glowy as gently caress with a sickly neon light, therefore indicating that it is totally powerful and will probably make your apartment walls weep expired bean dip and your ears fill with the moist gurgle of the inside of a living crocodile's intestines.

3 Points - Forkbanger

This gang really stands out to me. Their colors are bright and heroic, simple and iconic on the individual models. The group comes together in a boldly varied but controlled way that, to me, suggests 2d fighter arcade games. The skin tones have a nice subtle variation, and that dragonman belly looks sufficiently slappable. Nice work on his tattoo; it carefully pulls together most colors of the scheme and provides a nice focal area of detail for the group. The fire and smoke effects look great, the fire in particular managing to still look bright and hot amongst the array of other very saturated colors.

Jurnal Bonus Point - Slimnoid

You know it's a fantastic base when you're not sure where the base ends and the model begins. You also know it's a fantastic base when it's clearly fantastic as gently caress, like this one. I mean, I looked at this for at least several minutes before even considering that there is also a badass ferryman riding on top. All the techniques used look great, and it's certainly ambitious. I pretty much want to have one of these models so I can duplicate what you have done here exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

:swoon: Thanks for the compliments again. I'd rather have a more defined style like Germ, Bachtere, PV, or Red Shoe etc but I haven't quite figured it out yet, and in the meantime being able go from cartoony to high contrast sorta hyper-realism keeps it interesting at least.

Every year the oath thread just bumps up the bar on quality and it's amazing, inspiring, humbling.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I, waah, oath to paint this Titan Gladiator from Provateer press.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, oath a Brass Arachnid and a Large Steampunk Arachnid (by Wyrd for Malifaux, 28 mm?).

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Additional oath! 12 High Shield Gun Corpsmen(corpsdwarves) and 6 Rhulic Arcanists:siren:
These are Privateer Press

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:Additional oath! 12 High Shield Gun Corpsmen(corpsdwarves) and 6 Rhulic Arcanists:siren:

Is that your goban your models are sitting on :(

No wonder you're in the market for a new one.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:orks101: Oath Completed! :orks:

10 Diggas

Mad Doc Grotsnik

Orc raider with OSL for da jurnal. First ever attempt at OSL and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Krash, aka beefy fucker with magnetic jetpack

Alongside last month's Digganob, Krash and da Boyz.

Also had my first game with the Diggas. Pictures are during deployment and army shot after the battle. Didn't get any during the battle as in my turn 1 they were hidden in the ruins just in front of them, and in my turn 2 they were dead (gently caress Wyverns).

Achievements claimed:
In Battle
Apprentice

I am hoping to get backstory written for Krash, I have something in mind but not managed to write anything I'm happy with yet. If inspiration strikes I'll edit it in and note it in another post.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Under 15 posted:

Is that your goban your models are sitting on :(

No wonder you're in the market for a new one.

Yep, got to scrimp to afford the $100,000 price tag on my replacement.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I, drgnvale, oath 1 Space Marine command squad vet with plasma gun (28mm, Citadel)

Finally moved in, but may not be able to unpack all of my painting crap until next weekend so I'm oathin' now while unpacking 40k stuff. Next month I'll have no excuses to do another lame oath!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I Thundercloud, who doesn't even have internet access at home at the moment so this could get a bit hairy, Oath an Ork Dreadnought (I think it's the 3rd ed model), 10 Ork nobz (5 Black Reach and 5 from the Nobz box), 1 ammo runt, 5 Tankbustas and 2 bomb squigs all from GW in GW scale for the month of July. Let's see if this goes down in flames. But no internet at home means no playing the Destiny Beta, which might make a big difference in the painting.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:vomarine: July oath completed! :vomarine:

Claiming:
Speed Painting
Infinity Model

Start

Finish

Glamor Shot

Claiming:
Monthly theme: Light

Very happy with this. I avoid OSL as I find it too challenging, but this result I like.

Claiming:
Themed Group & Tiny soldiers

Nice forests aren't they?

Even enough room to put your minis in.

And a convertible top so that you can put them in with out going crazy.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 20, 2014

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Oath Complete!
Alexia Ciannor and a Transverse Enumerator

Journal is the glowy sword.

edit: fixed the name in pic

Mt. ORourke fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 20, 2014

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Mt. ORourke posted:

Oath Complete!
Alexia Ciannor and a Transverse Enumerator

FYI, if you edit your username into those pictures, I'll add the extra point for that.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Oops, thanks! it's fixed now

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

As an additional oath, I'm going to paint this crazy Reaper Bones Wizard dude! (in 28mm!)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Signal posted:

As an additional oath, I'm going to paint this crazy Reaper Bones Wizard dude! (in 28mm!)

It looks like he's getting ready for a sick dunk with that basketball on his fingertips.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Mt. ORourke posted:

Oops, thanks! it's fixed now

Great, I've updated the spreadsheet.

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks like he's getting ready for a sick dunk with that basketball on his fingertips.

Aw snap, now you've got me wanting to paint up a basketball wizard. I have no use for a basketball wizard.

Or do I?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Iris of Ether posted:

Aw snap, now you've got me wanting to paint up a basketball wizard. I have no use for a basketball wizard.

Or do I?

"Wanna see my Magic Johnson?"

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Oath Complete!
Here are Dahlia and Skarath

Here's my Avalonian Alkemy group

Here's a look at the OSL I attempted. I feel like at one point I had it down but I kept fiddling with it and made it worse than it initially was. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed trying to get it done and I definitely want to try some glowy effects again. I guess that's what this thread is really about, right?

So, that's another group finished and the Jurnal for this month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jodai posted:

Oath Complete!
Here are Dahlia and Skarath

Here's my Avalonian Alkemy group

Here's a look at the OSL I attempted. I feel like at one point I had it down but I kept fiddling with it and made it worse than it initially was. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed trying to get it done and I definitely want to try some glowy effects again. I guess that's what this thread is really about, right?

So, that's another group finished and the Jurnal for this month.

The OSL's good in execution, but not in placement - for instance, it's on the underside of his arm, but less on the top and none on the top of the staff - so the light source appears to be coming from under his arm rather than the crystal. Also ought to be a lot more on his face.

It helps to think like a raytracing engine, IME - drawing imaginary lines from light source to what they're hitting, further away is less saturated/bright.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Thanks for the tips. I was not sure how to paint the staff because it seemed like a lip and that light shouldn't be hitting it. Then I was going to paint on the face but I thought if the light was really soft it wouldn't reach the face. I seriously did and redid it so many times that eventually I just got frustrated and made it look good enough. I'm also a really sloppy painter and I think OSL takes a lot more control. Every time I finish and take my pictures for this thread, I see a billion mistakes. Instead of correcting them, I just try to do better on the next mini.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
I, FROOOOOOOOG, Oath 5 Reaper Bones Minis and a Minotaur marker. I'm not sure if achievements need to be Oathed ahead of time but I'm hedging my bets!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

"I have a message. Lieutenant Colonel... krushgroove's plane... was shot down... over the Sea of Japan. It spun in ... there were no survivors."
NOoooo! I'm back! And I survived! (although it is scary about the poo poo that went down in the Ukraine while I was away...)

enri posted:

:siren: I enri, do oath the following for the month of July.. :siren:

Final odds and sods from my DZC starter set, I've been putting these guys off for ages.. if I get these done this month then my entire DZC collection to date will have been painting during multiple oathing seasons.

- 3 x Condor Medium Dropship, scale is 10mm and manufacturer is Hawk Wargames
- 3 x Marauder Medium Dropship, scale is 10mm and manufacturer is Hawk Wargames

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache oath 4 Deathwatch Space Marines, 1 Space Marine Chaplain, 10 Zombies, 10 Ghouls and 1 Sanctum Imperialis

Korwen posted:

I, Korwen, for the month of July oath a Devout and Redeemer from Privateer Press

waah posted:

I, waah, oath to paint this Titan Gladiator from Provateer press.

Pierzak posted:

I, Pierzak, oath a Brass Arachnid and a Large Steampunk Arachnid (by Wyrd for Malifaux, 28 mm?).

Red Shoe posted:

drgnvale posted:

I, drgnvale, oath 1 Space Marine command squad vet with plasma gun (28mm, Citadel)

Thundercloud posted:

I Thundercloud, who doesn't even have internet access at home at the moment so this could get a bit hairy, Oath an Ork Dreadnought (I think it's the 3rd ed model), 10 Ork nobz (5 Black Reach and 5 from the Nobz box), 1 ammo runt, 5 Tankbustas and 2 bomb squigs all from GW in GW scale for the month of July. Let's see if this goes down in flames. But no internet at home means no playing the Destiny Beta, which might make a big difference in the painting.

Signal posted:

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I, FROOOOOOOOG, Oath 5 Reaper Bones Minis and a Minotaur marker. I'm not sure if achievements need to be Oathed ahead of time but I'm hedging my bets!
Achievements don't need to be Oathed or anything like that, but it may help you push to complete the Achievements if you tell us!

All of the above Oaths...are ACCEPTED!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jodai posted:

Thanks for the tips. I was not sure how to paint the staff because it seemed like a lip and that light shouldn't be hitting it. Then I was going to paint on the face but I thought if the light was really soft it wouldn't reach the face. I seriously did and redid it so many times that eventually I just got frustrated and made it look good enough. I'm also a really sloppy painter and I think OSL takes a lot more control. Every time I finish and take my pictures for this thread, I see a billion mistakes. Instead of correcting them, I just try to do better on the next mini.

FWIW, this is the best way to work. Don't try and get one mini perfect, try and get 10 minis the best you can, and the last one will be better than the first and only would have been if you keep trying to correct it.

OSL-wise: skin is a lot shinier than most cloth, and one reason that looks odd is that the light is REALLY intense on his sleeve, but doesn't go much further.

The staff is a logical thought, but a: there would be a lot of reflected light around from his sleeve which would illuminate it somewhat, and b: sometimes it's better to do what feels right than paint like a raytracer (yep, contradicting myself right out the rear end here) - something that close to the light source feels like it ought to be lit, so it should be.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, will attempt to speedpaint the (already oathed) Large Steampunk Arachnid. Here's the "before" photo:

(it's 1 color basecoat on the whole model, should be OK? :ohdear:)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
...aaaaand legitimate doublepost because the speedpainting is done!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Achievements need to be part of an oath, but you don't need to call the Achievement before you actually do it. As Krushgroove said, though, people still do it because it's motivating. :)

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Do we post speed painting as it's done this year, or do we put it in the oath complete post?

Just in case:
Speed painting accomplished! Started with a single spray primer of army painter's ultramarine blue. Went on way too thick on the front. Still need to base this guy but that'll have to be later this week.

And I need to find a new way to paint green plasma, it looks terrible compared to blue.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:ducksiren: June judgment! :ducksiren:

Third Place, 1 Point: OneTrueBru

I love how consistently clean your models are. The edge highlights are slick. It was nice reading about your technique in the painting thread.

Second Place, 2 Points: Slimnoid

Everything came together perfectly on this. The water effects aren't overdone, so they really pop out. Love the range of colors used, the balance of the orange/brown colors in the scythe blade and spear, down to the belts on Charon,all the way to the base. Also, the subdued lighting effects look really good. The dude looks great, excellent skin tone, awesome depth on the clothes.

First Place, 3 Points: Gareth Gobulcoque

The Dreafleet pieces are amazing again, great shading. The dude on the beach is amazing. For as large as the surface area is, both the water and the sand look very natural and detailed, it turned out great.

Jurnal, 1 Point: Vermintide

Very cool and different. The color/shape of the ground combined with the zombie coming out looks very cinematic, lots of good motion.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for July this Bones gravedigger and this Hordes Tharn Bloodtracker

I spent the last fortnight doing a two-week placement at the State Library, and I've got a handful of assignments to do this week. Hopefully I can fit some painting in there too!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
For July, I oath this GW Ork Warphead.

I found this when I bought a random box of bitz from a buddy. According to the text on the base slot, it is (c) GW 94, so this guy looks like he's 20 years old!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Clearly a goon of fine taste, that's the best Warphead mini :D

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

OATH COMPLETE

Been watching way too much sentai lately, and I decided... hey, I have 5 figures, let's try this.

This is as far as my current level of skill takes me, but I wanna do more with these... so I'm gonna ask some friends for tips and tricks for making them better, and going to do THAT at a leisure pace.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Oath Complete!

Claiming Speed Painting (see http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3630222#post432527616) and Journal for the amateur OSL.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Lich King:

Morghoth the Faceless (Jurnal entry):

(under much less dramatic lighting)

Skeletal spear regiment:

(under much more dramatic lighting)

:toot:

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Didn't expect to see another one of these minis oathed, but awesome!

I, Android, Oath to paint this GW Warphead plus fist of Mork ( or possibly Hulk Hogan)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Final oath: A Pyre Troll:siren:
Privateer Press

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

I, Electric Hobo, oath these 15 Citadel Guards for the month of July. From Battlelore 2. Edition by FFG as usual.

Additional oath! 2 Shadow Dragon from Descent 2. Edition by FFG.
Zenithal primed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pierzak posted:

I, Pierzak, will attempt to speedpaint the (already oathed) Large Steampunk Arachnid. Here's the "before" photo:

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for July this Bones gravedigger and this Hordes Tharn Bloodtracker

Deanut Pancer posted:

For July, I oath this GW Ork Warphead.

Android posted:

Didn't expect to see another one of these minis oathed, but awesome!

I, Android, Oath to paint this GW Warphead plus fist of Mork ( or possibly Hulk Hogan)

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:Final oath: A Pyre Troll:siren:
Privateer Press

Electric Hobo posted:

Additional oath! 2 Shadow Dragon from Descent 2. Edition by FFG.
Zenithal primed.

Oaths Accepted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath 12 Hearthguard from Splintered Light Miniatures in 15mm and one female giant from Ral Partha.

• Locked thread