Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

ChickenArise posted:

Also, not to give away all of my secrets - last year, Foggy Bottom had LC3 on shelves for over a month after release. They've moved the special releases up near the checkout now, though.

I ended up getting LC4 at Lost Dog for 20. Of course you know who is selling it for 25 but I'm not gonna do that. I work near WF Foggy Bottom and have been looking there for another bottle but no luck. They had plenty of Saison Brett there for a couple weeks. Maybe it's gone, maybe it'll show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

that's weak. Hunahpu's and a few others will get kicked, but a bunch of that will still be going on Friday, i'm sure.

Yeah, wifey's going to vegas that weekend and needs the car on thursday so i cant drive down to richmond, but holy gently caress i want alllll of thooose beeeers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Glottis posted:

I'm probably the only one who cares about this, but the Oktoberfest beer that Firestone brews every year (or at least has for the last 7 or so) is FINALLY being bottled - Oaktoberfest. If you like the style I'd highly recommend grabbing it if you see it.

Not the only one. Oktoberfests rule. Firestone rules. Do you know if it's in a sixpack or bomber format?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Let's combine a Bloody Mary with beer, lime, and salmon! :barf:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
So I after a trip to Vegas for a bachelor party I think I am a convert for specialized glasses for beer. I know it's obviously big for wine and I recently read an article about glasses made for coca-cola that were supposed to increase the flavor, but never really bothered for beer unless it was out of a tap.

The beer I had was Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and the glass was shaped like a rose that was half bloomed and only held about 8oz of beer. It just felt like it really intensified the flavors compared to just drinking it straight from a bottle. I'm going to have to find some of those glasses, if anyone has any scientific articles on the reasoning for this I would be interested in reading them.

I've been into trying some of the local Ohio beers and I bought a 12oz bottle of Rockmill Brewery's Witbier. I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what, but it felt low on carbonation and was a lot more sour compared to any other Witbier that I've had and I ended up drain pouring it. It was like $7 for a 12oz bottle, glad I didn't go with the larger bottle.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

katkillad2 posted:

So I after a trip to Vegas for a bachelor party I think I am a convert for specialized glasses for beer. I know it's obviously big for wine and I recently read an article about glasses made for coca-cola that were supposed to increase the flavor, but never really bothered for beer unless it was out of a tap.

The beer I had was Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and the glass was shaped like a rose that was half bloomed and only held about 8oz of beer. It just felt like it really intensified the flavors compared to just drinking it straight from a bottle. I'm going to have to find some of those glasses, if anyone has any scientific articles on the reasoning for this I would be interested in reading them.

I've been into trying some of the local Ohio beers and I bought a 12oz bottle of Rockmill Brewery's Witbier. I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what, but it felt low on carbonation and was a lot more sour compared to any other Witbier that I've had and I ended up drain pouring it. It was like $7 for a 12oz bottle, glad I didn't go with the larger bottle.

Edited.

I highly doubt that the slight differences in the angles, depth and etc of the various wine glasses make any discernible difference if they were conducted in a blind test. The whole thing reeks of audiophile nonsense.

If a study were conducted properly to test this and it was conclusive that the glass shapes mattered, then I would totally concede, but until then I'm greeting it with huge skepticism.

Now when it comes to beer I have one rule: As long as it's in a glass that isn't a pint glass then you're good. I prefer any glass with a more narrow mouth to concentrate aromas personally, thus tulips, wine glasses, and snifters are my go-to. I wouldn't dare claim that I could discern the difference between them in a blind smell/taste though.

Edit: I won't deny that a nice looking glass make me more excited to drink the beer in it though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 24, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Let's combine a Bloody Mary with beer, lime, and salmon! :barf:

That actually sounds like a decent Bloody Beer recipe.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

swickles posted:

I don't like Bloody Beers to begin with, but the idea of combining it with smoked salmon vodka and salmon jerky just makes me queasy.

Drinking the Logsdon Farmhouse Ale's Tripel, Straffe Drieling. Quite good, but not really what I was expecting from a tripel. Light and cloudy with banana and clove flavors that remind me a bit of a Hefe, though it isn't wheaty. Nice sweet and clean malt flavor with fruity esters and a long, spicy finish. I'm enjoying it.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Chicagoons, I discovered that I may not be in town on August 13th, so rather than setting up some reservation that I may have to cancel at the last second, I'm going to cancel the first edition of the Chicagoon cellar raid wednesday bottleshare. If there's enough interest, I may start it up again in September but for right now, assume it isn't happening (at least one that's organized by me).

I've also had kind of a strong revelation tonight that I really, really need to drink down my cellar. I don't know how realistic it is, but I want my cellar to drop below 200 bottles by year's end, including new purchases. I love beer, but seeing all these bottles piled in a closet not getting drank makes me kind of sad.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Yeah exactly, it's never going to be a daily drinker, but as a one-off thing for a special treat I'll take the plunge once. To be fair Ruination sells here for £4.50, is never anywhere near as fresh as this and comes in a bottle not far off half the size, and I still buy that every now and then.

I really just want to see how it compares with the super fresh IPAs the UK brewers are pushing out - Bristol Beer Factory did an Un/Limited Double IPA that had the date plastered all over the front and was clearly an attempt at an Enjoy By thing so I really want to see how it stands up to stuff like that and some of the Kernel stuff.

Even having said all that I have to say the price still stings a bit, but I've spent money on stupider poo poo so what the hey.

I'm in the UK as well, got any recommendations for Brewers to try (particularly anything in the Northwest). I'd put Siren, Wild Beer Co and Magic Rock up against anything I've had from the American microbrews that make their way over here.

Its kinda funny to see Bitter becoming a thing in the US, there's stacks of it over here, unsuprisingly, and it's cheaper than even the worst lager. Shame it doesn't travel well.

A shame Liverpool Crafts beer isn't as good as its labelling..

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Spuckuk posted:

I'm in the UK as well, got any recommendations for Brewers to try (particularly anything in the Northwest). I'd put Siren, Wild Beer Co and Magic Rock up against anything I've had from the American microbrews that make their way over here.
The main thrust of what I'm hearing about the Enjoy By is that it's not as good as Magic Rock's Unhuman Cannonball. Mind you, that stuff is £20 a bottle and doesn't even need to be airfreighted anywhere, so it bloody well should be good!

As for UK brewers you should try, my must have list would be something like:
  • Siren Craft Brew (best for their whacked out crazier stuff)
  • Kernel (for their US style IPAs and oldschool stouts/porters)
  • Brew By Numbers (best for saisons/farmhouse)
  • Tiny Rebel
  • Partizan
  • Buxton
  • Brewdog
  • Bristol Beer Factory
  • Arbor Ales
  • Wild Beer (best for spontaneously fermenting beers, sours and other fun stuff)
  • Harviestoun (for the Old Engine Oil and Ola Dubh barrel aged dark stuff)
  • Harbour
  • Lovibonds
  • Magic Rock (if you see Unhuman Cannonball, you MUST buy it)
  • Harbour
  • Oakham Ales
  • Pressure Drop (Bosko is their killer beer for me)
  • Salopian
  • Weird Beard (their low ABV stuff is amazing but everything else they do is also great)
  • Alechemy (for great modern cask beer)
  • Wiper & True
  • Thornbridge (Jaipur is an amazing IPA you can get almost anywhere but almost everything they make is ace, and they make a LOT).
If you've got any other UK beer questions fire away, I've properly nerded out on this stuff the past 18 months or so so I should be able to help (and this thread is far too US-centric as it is).

e: formatting

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 24, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've had Unhuman Cannonball, it's amazing. Salt Lick as well if its still about. Trying to keep my hands off a bottle of Sirens Ten Finger Discount until the weekend, and really tempted to order a mixed case from Kernel. Bang on about Thornbridge Jaipur, it's everywhere, so you don't know how good it is until you have (a few) pints.

Biggest problem with the UK craft scene is actually laying your hands on the stuff. Seems you can't by beer directly from most of the brewers.. That and IPA meaning a different ale entirely depending on the brewery involved.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 24, 2014

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Biggest problem with the UK craft scene is actually laying your hands on the stuff. Seems you can't by beer directly from most of the brewers.. That and IPA meaning a different ale entirely depending on the brewery involved.

If you want cases of beer from a single brewer EeBria is about as good as it gets - they dropship directly from the brewery, I've had Buxton beer from them that was bottled the same day it shipped!

I subscribed for 3 months to their Discovery Case and so far the selection has been awesome, so if you're after a random mixed selection that might be the way to go. If you go for that I have a 15% off your first order code on the tasting notes from this month's selection.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

swickles posted:

and it's Mythbusters approved!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

If you want cases of beer from a single brewer EeBria is about as good as it gets - they dropship directly from the brewery, I've had Buxton beer from them that was bottled the same day it shipped!

I subscribed for 3 months to their Discovery Case and so far the selection has been awesome, so if you're after a random mixed selection that might be the way to go. If you go for that I have a 15% off your first order code on the tasting notes from this month's selection.

Ah, sound.

I think I'll go for that to get me going then, cheers! What part of the country are you in, out of curiosity?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

I think I'll go for that to get me going then, cheers! What part of the country are you in, out of curiosity?

I'm in the South West, in Gloucestershire. I'm less than an hour away from Bristol too which is like a beer Mecca frankly, craft beer bars and breweries popping up on what seems like a weekly basis. If you're ever down this way give me a shout and I'll show you some of the good pubs!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I'm in the South West, in Gloucestershire. I'm less than an hour away from Bristol too which is like a beer Mecca frankly, craft beer bars and breweries popping up on what seems like a weekly basis. If you're ever down this way give me a shout and I'll show you some of the good pubs!

Liverpool here. Things are getting good in a hurry up here, Manchester still has us beat to our shame.

Actually might be down there later in the year, will give you a nod if I do :)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Loonytoad Quack posted:

The main thrust of what I'm hearing about the Enjoy By is that it's not as good as Magic Rock's Unhuman Cannonball. Mind you, that stuff is £20 a bottle and doesn't even need to be airfreighted anywhere, so it bloody well should be good!

• Siren Craft Brew (best for their whacked out crazier stuff)
  • Kernel (for their US style IPAs and oldschool stouts/porters)
  • Brew By Numbers (best for saisons/farmhouse)
  • Tiny Rebel
  • Partizan
  • Buxton
  • Brewdog
  • Bristol Beer Factory
  • Arbor Ales
  • Wild Beer (best for spontaneously fermenting beers, sours and other fun stuff)
  • Harviestoun (for the Old Engine Oil and Ola Dubh barrel aged dark stuff)
  • Harbour
  • Lovibonds
  • Magic Rock (if you see Unhuman Cannonball, you MUST buy it)
  • Harbour
  • Oakham Ales
  • Pressure Drop (Bosko is their killer beer for me)
  • Salopian
  • Weird Beard (their low ABV stuff is amazing but everything else they do is also great)
  • Alechemy (for great modern cask beer)
  • Wiper & True
  • Thornbridge (Jaipur is an amazing IPA you can get almost anywhere but almost everything they make is ace, and they make a LOT).
If you've got any other UK beer questions fire away, I've properly nerded out on this stuff the past 18 months or so so I should be able to help (and this thread is far too US-centric as it is).

e: formatting

This is a solid list, but I'd like to also add Dark Star (mainly for their Espresso and also Hophead which is only 3.8% but it's a great session beer which you need sometimes when spending hours at a pub with your mates) and New Bristol Brewery, their Super Deluxe Stout is just amazing all round. Caramalt, crystal, chocolate malt, Munich, roasted barley, oats, wheat, milk sugar, East Kent Goldings then in the cask vanilla pods and cold extracted/pressed coffee. :swoon:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fluo posted:

This is a solid list, but I'd like to also add Dark Star (mainly for their Espresso and also Hophead which is only 3.8% but it's a great session beer which you need sometimes when spending hours at a pub with your mates) and New Bristol Brewery, their Super Deluxe Stout is just amazing all round. Caramalt, crystal, chocolate malt, Munich, roasted barley, oats, wheat, milk sugar, East Kent Goldings then in the cask vanilla pods and cold extracted/pressed coffee. :swoon:

I used to go to Brighton a lot, and the Darkstar pubs there are great, particularly the Evening Star :swoon: Sunburst :swoon:

Drank a bottle of Batemans Mocha Porter last weekend and it was pretty goddamn amazing for a beer that came from Sainsburys.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I don't like Bloody Beers to begin with, but the idea of combining it with smoked salmon vodka and salmon jerky just makes me queasy.

Drinking the Logsdon Farmhouse Ale's Tripel, Straffe Drieling. Quite good, but not really what I was expecting from a tripel. Light and cloudy with banana and clove flavors that remind me a bit of a Hefe, though it isn't wheaty. Nice sweet and clean malt flavor with fruity esters and a long, spicy finish. I'm enjoying it.

That sounds a lot like a tripel, what were you expecting?

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

To this list I would add:
  • Orkney (Dark Island and Skull Splitter)
  • Traquair (Jacobite and House Ale)
These are somewhat available in the US now, as well. I was excited as hell when I saw Orkney being more widely distributed. My shop has Harviestoun as well and it's really tempting to do an Ola Dubh vertical…

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
On Saturday, my brother and I will be road trippin' from Chicago to western Missouri (Branson area) for a week-long family vacation. We're cutting out early and expecting to be around St. Louis by lunch time.

Any Goons have any suggestions for brewpubs we might grab a bite and a good beer or two at? Prefer something local/non-distro'd.

Unfortunately, Saturday also happens to be Perennial's Midwest Belgian Fest. It sucks that I'll be so close but won't be able to stop.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

swickles posted:

Do you guys put anything into 12oz bottles anymore? Havent seen anything and all yhe seasonals seemed to be canned.

We just packaged Patio Pils in 12oz bottles. And that'll be the last one. Everything else is either cans or bombers with the exception of barrel-aged beers which will remain in 750mL

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

danbanana posted:

On Saturday, my brother and I will be road trippin' from Chicago to western Missouri (Branson area) for a week-long family vacation. We're cutting out early and expecting to be around St. Louis by lunch time.

Any Goons have any suggestions for brewpubs we might grab a bite and a good beer or two at? Prefer something local/non-distro'd.

Unfortunately, Saturday also happens to be Perennial's Midwest Belgian Fest. It sucks that I'll be so close but won't be able to stop.

Square One Brewery in Lafayette Square does not distribute and usually has some good beers on tap, plus the food is great. If you guys roll through Columbia, MO (although I kind of doubt it since you'll probably just take I-44), hit me up for a goon meetup. We have a couple small non-distro breweries here that are pretty decent in Logboat and Bur Oak.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Square One Brewery in Lafayette Square does not distribute and usually has some good beers on tap, plus the food is great. If you guys roll through Columbia, MO (although I kind of doubt it since you'll probably just take I-44), hit me up for a goon meetup. We have a couple small non-distro breweries here that are pretty decent in Logboat and Bur Oak.

Thanks! Square One it probably is!

We'll definitely be taking I-44. We're staying in Lampe, about 30 minutes from Branson on Table Rock Lake. Google is telling me going through Columbia/Jefferson City adds an hour to an already 8 hour drive, so...

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Interesting to not see Ilkley on that list either - they've just started distributing some in the US and their Mayan chocolate chipotle stout is fantastic.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

danbanana posted:

Thanks! Square One it probably is!

We'll definitely be taking I-44. We're staying in Lampe, about 30 minutes from Branson on Table Rock Lake. Google is telling me going through Columbia/Jefferson City adds an hour to an already 8 hour drive, so...

No worries man. That stretch of 44 is boring as poo poo, so make sure you pack along some books on tape or something. Also, Mother's Brewing is located in Springfield, MO and they usually have some interesting brewery-only stuff.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Retemnav posted:

Interesting to not see Ilkley on that list either - they've just started distributing some in the US and their Mayan chocolate chipotle stout is fantastic.

If it's good and it's not on there it's because I haven't drunk it yet and can't personally vouch for it. Ilkley* is duly noted as are Orkney and Traquair. New Bristol Brewery I've still not got round to but Fluo waxes lyrical about some of their stuff so it's definitely on the to do list. Darkstar I just find a bit up and down, some of their good stuff is really good, but they have a fair few misses too IMO. Still, I'm sure I've missed others, it was really just an off the top of my head list, nothing meant by any omissions!

* I just checked Untappd and apparently I've had the Mary Jane Pale from Ilkley and didn't really rate it, but I'm definitely on the lookout for other stuff if you reckon it's good, The Mayan sounds great and they do a Rhubarb Saison I've heard good things about too.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 24, 2014

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dumptruckzzz posted:

That sounds a lot like a tripel, what were you expecting?

It was pretty damned heavy on the banana and clove. I don't recall many other tripels tasting like that, but it could be that I haven't had a proper tripel in a long time.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Loonytoad Quack posted:

If it's good and it's not on there it's because I haven't drunk it yet and can't personally vouch for it. Ilkley* is duly noted as are Orkney and Traquair. New Bristol Brewery I've still not got round to but Fluo waxes lyrical about some of their stuff so it's definitely on the to do list. Darkstar I just find a bit up and down, some of their good stuff is really good, but they have a fair few misses too IMO. Still, I'm sure I've missed others, it was really just an off the top of my head list, nothing meant by any omissions!

* I just checked Untappd and apparently I've had the Mary Jane Pale from Ilkley and didn't really rate it, but I'm definitely on the lookout for other stuff if you reckon it's good, The Mayan sounds great and they do a Rhubarb Saison I've heard good things about too.

Yea, I just figured they must have been around a while and pretty available if they're distributing to the US. Definitely seek out The Mayan, it's a great example of a lighter stout with chilies. Several beer guys here were calling it a "baby Hunapuh", which is pretty drat good praise. They've also distributed the Mary Jane IPA (not the reg. pale ale) and the Siberian Saison here. Neither of those stood out to me too much though.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

If you were hoping to get a Beer Camp box go search for them ASAP. Distributors were shorted in a lot of places and beer nerds are grabbing a lot of them since they can probably be flipped for 3-4x shelf cost.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

AAB posted:

If you were hoping to get a Beer Camp box go search for them ASAP. Distributors were shorted in a lot of places and beer nerds are grabbing a lot of them since they can probably be flipped for 3-4x shelf cost.

Anyone paying $70 - $100 for that thing needs to get punched. There's a couple of really solid beers in it but only one or two I'd actually consider buying regularly.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Oh you're absolutely correct on that. We were shorted 30 cases here so there are several people who had reserved ones cancelled calling around the beer nerd circles for spares. Already heard of someone that bought 5 of them selling em for $50 per.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

AAB posted:

Already heard of someone that bought 5 of them selling em for $50 per.

I hate beer.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
at this rate, i'm going to have to buy tickets to the loving festival to even try these things.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Quantrill posted:

I'm so glad it's July. It's the perfect time to buy some Great Lakes Christmas Ale!
http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/for/4581087859.html

A friend informed me of this...
https://www.facebook.com/events/421957461278577/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

quote:

We've got kegs of Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Shiner Cheer. We're tapping em and topping em with sugar and spice and everything nice, so hurry in because supplies are limited!

I just don't get it. I mean, why?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Fat Lou posted:

A friend informed me of this...
https://www.facebook.com/events/421957461278577/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

I just don't get it. I mean, why?

Probably for Christmas in July... Still not a great idea for a spiced beer in the middle of Summer.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Team Stab posted:

I haven't posted in this thread before but my brother works at the Half-Pints brewery in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I don't realize how spoiled I am when it comes to free beer. Anyone here ever hear of 'em? I don't think they ship too far.

They're really good. Quite like the Humulous Ludicrous. Wheat Wine needs some aging.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Come to Bend, home of great beer, no resellers and like 15 Beer Camp boxes at the Whole Foods today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I pissed off some locals on BeerAdvocate because I essentially made fun of them for wanting to camp out for El Catador Club signups on Sunday. They don't trust us because of the Hunahpu's Day fiasco, yet they're going to camp out for our beer?

"gently caress CCB, they lied about Hunahpu's Day and hosed everyone over. Oh this tent? I'm going to camp out in the shady parking lot across the street from CCB so I can purchase bottles of beer that don't exist."

Beer geeks are the worst