Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

McGavin posted:

They're FINALLY releasing the secret bear event chain.

King NotABear I :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Oblivious posted:

I suppose! Doesn't really describe a "big" upcoming expansion so I'd still wonder at what the overriding theme or focus would be.

Crusader Kings 2 already has so much stuff to do I doubt I'll ever play all the things I want to play. I was sure they were done after Rajas of India.

I'm not complaining, consider it just a sort of exasperated form of delight at how much support this game gets :unsmith:

Back when the game was new and we were just getting hype for Sword of Islam and stuff, they said they had content planned out to 2016. :stare:

e; No, 2015. Still insane.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Is there any particular reason to use Tanistry over Elective?

Tanistry's best feature is arguably that it's usable while being an unreformed pagan.

But it has two benefits over elective. First, if your realm mostly consists of relatives, tanistry gives you a much bigger opinion bonus. Remember, vassals of your dynasty have -5 opinion instead of the +20 that all unrelated vassals get. Tanistry has +5 opinion from non-dynasty vassals and +10 opinion from your relatives. So if you are one of these people that tries to give every title to relatives, tanistry makes you much more popular than elective.

The second benefit is the inability to lose your titles through inheritance, though it's a bit more difficult to chose your successor. Losing elections in elective is rare, but it can happen. Mostly when two of your rulers die shortly after another. Tanistry eliminates that possibility.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Torrannor posted:

Tanistry's best feature is arguably that it's usable while being an unreformed pagan.

Don't you have to be Celtic to use Tanistry? Who are the Celtic pagans?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Don't you have to be Celtic to use Tanistry? Who are the Celtic pagans?

Dead.

Ivar the Boneless is your best option, if you've got RoI and can culture convert via decision.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Torrannor posted:

But it has two benefits over elective. First, if your realm mostly consists of relatives, tanistry gives you a much bigger opinion bonus. Remember, vassals of your dynasty have -5 opinion instead of the +20 that all unrelated vassals get. Tanistry has +5 opinion from non-dynasty vassals and +10 opinion from your relatives. So if you are one of these people that tries to give every title to relatives, tanistry makes you much more popular than elective.

The second benefit is the inability to lose your titles through inheritance, though it's a bit more difficult to chose your successor. Losing elections in elective is rare, but it can happen. Mostly when two of your rulers die shortly after another. Tanistry eliminates that possibility.

I have so many Dynasty members with titles in my Empire that losing the Election to a non-Dynasty member is functionally impossible. The opinion bonus from Tanistry is attractive, but unfortunately it sounds like the relative inability to herd people onto the "right" heir makes it not worth the switch.

It DOES sound pretty good in the early game though before you get real swole. I'll have to remember that in the future.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I have so many Dynasty members with titles in my Empire that losing the Election to a non-Dynasty member is functionally impossible. The opinion bonus from Tanistry is attractive, but unfortunately it sounds like the relative inability to herd people onto the "right" heir makes it not worth the switch.

It DOES sound pretty good in the early game though before you get real swole. I'll have to remember that in the future.

The electors will usually follow your lead in tanistry, if you chose somebody not closely related to you. You solve the issue by breeding two lines of your family for good traits and educating them yourself. Then these two branches take turns ruling your realm.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Back when the game was new and we were just getting hype for Sword of Islam and stuff, they said they had content planned out to 2016. :stare:

e; No, 2015. Still insane.

Yes, and remember that Paradox recently stated (pre- or shortly post-Rajas I think) that they consider "phase 1" of expanding CK2 to be done and are preparing to enter phase 2. That seems to me to mean that since the map is done and every feudal lord on it is playable, future expansions will likely be enhancements of existing systems, maybe adding new ones, without the scope of the game increasing significantly. I would expect CK2 to be supported until CK3 enters development to be honest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

Yes, and remember that Paradox recently stated (pre- or shortly post-Rajas I think) that they consider "phase 1" of expanding CK2 to be done and are preparing to enter phase 2. That seems to me to mean that since the map is done and every feudal lord on it is playable, future expansions will likely be enhancements of existing systems, maybe adding new ones, without the scope of the game increasing significantly. I would expect CK2 to be supported until CK3 enters development to be honest.

You think they'll do a new engine for CK3/HOI4/EU5?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

HOI4 is already under development and they aren't making a new engine for it. I think the engine will be used for another generation of games.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Jazerus posted:

That was around the time Paradox was getting ready to release Sons of Abraham, and they said that The Old Gods was the last DLC of phase 1. Sons and Rajas are part of phase 2.

Personally, I'm hoping this new DLC brings playable barons to the table.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

The problem with playable barons is any features added to you are added to EVERY ai baron everywhere, and that'll hurt computers more than any map expansion could.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't see any pressing need for a new engine, unless some crazy coding solution could boost performance.

EightDeer posted:

Why on earth would you want that?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

EightDeer posted:

That was around the time Paradox was getting ready to release Sons of Abraham, and they said that The Old Gods was the last DLC of phase 1. Sons and Rajas are part of phase 2.

As far as my understanding is, playable barons will never be a thing, because as of now, barons don't have a court. If they become playable, they need a court and council, and that suddenly adds a fuckton of characters to the game, taking the performance and utterly piledriving it into the ground.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Barons were invented so even Count players would have something to do by having at least one vassal under them. It's only marginally effective at that so actually playing them would be so tedious. I can barely do anything short of a Duke start these days.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its got to be naval mechanics.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Jazerus posted:

I personally, would like to see a little more options with people in your court. Not sure what exactly I would want, but at some point in every playthrough when I'm super rich and powerful I look at my court and see a massive list of names and only a few that I know because I'm fondling their wives or planning on imprisoning them later to steal their wealth.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rumda posted:

Its got to be naval mechanics.

RAMMING SPEED

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I personally, would like to see a little more options with people in your court. Not sure what exactly I would want, but at some point in every playthrough when I'm super rich and powerful I look at my court and see a massive list of names and only a few that I know because I'm fondling their wives or planning on imprisoning them later to steal their wealth.

Me too. More personal interactions, stuff you can use make friends and rivals, for instance. "friends" and "rivals" are fun, but they are hardly used, and can only happen by chance. We could have actions like "invite to a hunt", "insult", this kind of stuff.

Also, I would love some kind of "negotiation system". Right now, if you want somebody to to something for you, you give then gold, titles, whatever, until they love you, then they will do whatever you ask. It works, but its really limited. I would love some kind of deal interface where you can, for example, offer someone 100 gold if they support your plot, or promise a title if they move to your court and so on.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

DStecks posted:

It's a bit non-obvious, but this makes Tanistry the CKII equivalent of no-fail mode. As long as you have another dynasty member and Tanistry, you can't gameover.

unless someone revolts or a big dude pushes you over and takes your junk etc

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Is there a way to change the color of UI elements? The button to raise levies for a county is blue when there are levies to raise, and gray when there aren't, but I can barely tell the difference between them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elias_Maluco posted:

Me too. More personal interactions, stuff you can use make friends and rivals, for instance. "friends" and "rivals" are fun, but they are hardly used, and can only happen by chance. We could have actions like "invite to a hunt", "insult", this kind of stuff.

Also, I would love some kind of "negotiation system". Right now, if you want somebody to to something for you, you give then gold, titles, whatever, until they love you, then they will do whatever you ask. It works, but its really limited. I would love some kind of deal interface where you can, for example, offer someone 100 gold if they support your plot, or promise a title if they move to your court and so on.

This reminds me that I am amazed that Paradox has not added any sort of a tribute system to CKII (or EU4). There are so many historical examples of people paying tribute, essentially protection money, to more powerful lords on a per-month or per-year basis. As it stands the vassal system sort-of simulates that but many times the tribute-payers were not sending troops or necessarily invited to feasts or whatever.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I certainly know that playing as a lord in the eastern steppes will be much more pleasant if I can just bribe the Mongols instead of madly blitzing to become a huge empire before they come in and destroy everyone.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So how do you roll-back to previous versions of CK2? I want to give the Winter King mod a try but it appears to be incompatible with the current version of CK2.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yea more dialogue boxes are cool with me. I want more opportunities for scandal or just making my line of sadist Monarchs more batshit crazy.

Conversely it would also be nice to have more friends around you. Right now having a high opinion of you is enough to make harmful plots fail.What if you had a bastard and he had friends who had no relation to you but wanted him to be your heir so they start trying to gently caress with other members of your dynasty. (they may already do this I'm not sure)

It would be interesting to overhaul intrigue and make it more about how many friends you have and what their roles/titles are to protect against your disguised or known enemies.

I think this would lead to a little more care with how you dish out your titles.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I finally got the mongols to appear, although it didn't go so well to begin with.

Seems my all horse retinues weren't up to the task, even though I had 100,000 of them.

Finally crushed their armies but it cost me over 150k retinue points.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

I finally got the mongols to appear, although it didn't go so well to begin with.

Seems my all horse retinues weren't up to the task, even though I had 100,000 of them.

What's nasty about the mongol horse archer stacks is that they come with a better ratio of HA:LC (more HA) than the retinue HAs, so they have more killing power for the same number of units (I estimate the average attack per unit in that stack at ~8.5)

Light Calvary normally beat HAs in Skirmish because the tactic they roll has a 100% bonus against common HA tactics (estimated ~12). However, what's key is if the HAs roll their tactic that turns the phase back to Skirmish (about 50:50 chance, estimated attack at ~15) - the LC don't have a bonus against that (so attack down to ~6), and that's probably the difference maker.

Unluckily for your wallet.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 24, 2014

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

This reminds me that I am amazed that Paradox has not added any sort of a tribute system to CKII (or EU4). There are so many historical examples of people paying tribute, essentially protection money, to more powerful lords on a per-month or per-year basis. As it stands the vassal system sort-of simulates that but many times the tribute-payers were not sending troops or necessarily invited to feasts or whatever.

It'd be an alternative to leverage your power without blobbing, as well. If there's some pitiful neighbouring kingdom you can just browbeat them into paying you tribute. And then some other powerful empire or kingdom demands tribute from them and you can step in and tell them to gently caress off. While the time period didn't have a very complex international relations system, it could at least allow this level of major power interaction.

I'd also like increased interaction options with independent realms that have rulers of your dynasty. It'd encourage you to plant your dynasty, protect them and advance their cause in another independent realm, beyond the high score system and alliance system (which could use improvement too). And you'd have more incentive to release realms, like say you conquer some small kingdom in bumfuck nowhere, plant a cousin on the throne and let him mostly do his thing.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 24, 2014

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
List of buttons I would like to see in the next DLC:

Befriend
Insult
Challenge to duel (seriously does anything ever come of the duel pop ups?)
Seduce
Torture
Request military aid
Denounce publicly
form faction to declare war on X for N's claim/any other reason

also a proper likes and dislikes system, as well another bar that measures how scared they are of you. It kind of grinds my gears that a guy can be +100 and still declare war on you, as well as the fact that being subjugated makes people like you.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The +75 subjugation bonus is a workaround to prevent freshly subjugated vassals from starting a clown car rebellion independence faction right after you kicked all their asses in a war.

When I say prevent it's more like reduce the odds of it happening or the faction created being very strong.

I agree that there should be some sort of "fears you" modifier; I've actually desired one in Paradox games for a while to prevent various rebellion nonsense.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Antti posted:

The +75 subjugation bonus is a workaround to prevent freshly subjugated vassals from starting a clown car rebellion independence faction right after you kicked all their asses in a war.

When I say prevent it's more like reduce the odds of it happening or the faction created being very strong.

I agree that there should be some sort of "fears you" modifier; I've actually desired one in Paradox games for a while to prevent various rebellion nonsense.

It's also to let you demand their conversion to your religion. +75 is enough for 90% of all your new vassals. Of course, the smart thing is to use medium CA to simply revoke all their titles for free, because they are infidels.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Oh yeah. I've dicked around with unreformed pagans so long I'd forgotten about the conversion thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bitter Mushroom posted:

List of buttons I would like to see in the next DLC:

Befriend
Insult
Challenge to duel (seriously does anything ever come of the duel pop ups?)
Seduce
Torture
Request military aid
Denounce publicly
form faction to declare war on X for N's claim/any other reason

also a proper likes and dislikes system, as well another bar that measures how scared they are of you. It kind of grinds my gears that a guy can be +100 and still declare war on you, as well as the fact that being subjugated makes people like you.

I've gotten killed and killed people in duels before.

I just noticed my 8 year old daughter I let a relative raise is heavily scarred. Luckily Norsemen seem to like that poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TjyvTompa posted:

Did you purposely handicap yourself? If you had hired the Great Company, put them in the center with a heavy infantry leader, stuffed your retinue on one wing and levies on the other, you probably would have crushed their rather meagre-looking doomstack.

The base game is fine but I think there's plenty of room for additional content, AI improvements (please) and improved ~verisimilitude~ without sacrificing fun. Most generally, there should be more to do as a moderately powerful duke or king, while managing a massive, while managing a sprawling empire should be a lot more difficult without a genius ruler and/or heavy investment into tolerance.

Also basically the entire feature list of the the Prince and the Thane sounds good, with the caveat that they're not very specific on what exactly the new systems are. Anyone tried it before? It seems like it was pretty unstable and then just died.

SynthOrange posted:

I just noticed my 8 year old daughter I let a relative raise is heavily scarred. Luckily Norsemen seem to like that poo poo.

I don't remember ever getting into a duel myself. Do you need a rival or two to do it? I also have only ever seen someone wounded or scarred from a duel maaaaaybe twice.

On the other hand, I recently learned that failing assassination attempts against a high-ranking enemy is a good way to get your competent, childless ruler killed and replaced by his much less competent brother. On the plus side, that younger brother impregnated his thoroughly mediocre empress widow with a genius, so it all worked out in the end.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 24, 2014

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

SynthOrange posted:

I think the GoT mod does a good job of implementing a battlefield duel system, that would be cool to see in vanilla.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

jerman999 posted:

I think the GoT mod does a good job of implementing a battlefield duel system, that would be cool to see in vanilla.

Never played the GoT mod, but I think HIP uses the same module (It uses screencaps from the series run through a filter for the pictures, anyway). It's pretty fun.

Norse characters also have a holmgang event, but I don't know if that's HIP too or not.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
In my current Republic game I only just realized I can attack other independent republics to take their trade posts. I'm beating up Pisa whenever I can, but the HRE vassalized amalfi. It's time to swear fealty and take over the rest of the Mediterranean, too :getin:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Is there a way to fabricate a claim on an entire kingdom or do you have to rely on the claims of vassal/courtiers to go this route. I'm currently in the process of finishing off Scotland which I've mostly done through fabricating claims on individual counties. England is next on my list and I really don't relish the idea of doing that the same way.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

vulturesrow posted:

Is there a way to fabricate a claim on an entire kingdom or do you have to rely on the claims of vassal/courtiers to go this route. I'm currently in the process of finishing off Scotland which I've mostly done through fabricating claims on individual counties. England is next on my list and I really don't relish the idea of doing that the same way.

You can only get claims on duchies or counties, but once you get enough for the king title you get de jure claims on the rest of it. Claimants are a faster/cheaper way to go, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

jerman999 posted:

The GoT Duel and now Jousting engine is amazing and I would love to see it get taken to vanilla.

• Locked thread