Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I figured she's another person with a vested interest in stopping nilfgaard. Plus I don't really have anything against Sile on a personal level, she's just trying to do what all the kings are doing and honestly would probably do a better job than them at it. Also she helped with the kayran and gave info on Yennifer. Also also if there's anything I learned from reading the Witcher books, it's that enemies you spare might end up saving your life further down the road.

Honestly I found Stennis and Cynthia to be much harder decisions.

The Sharmat posted:

It's just that moments beforehand she's gloating about how Geralt is going to be roasted to death.

Pretty much all the characters do that though. Henselt laughs in your face and goes 'you cant touch me' right after trying to murder you. Aryan acts like you have basically no chance against his posse. If you talk to Stennis he basically smug-faces about how you can't stop him and hes going to get away with it. Letho constantly informs you that you stand no chance against him in a 1v1 fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess I just figured trying to kill Triss made it personal in that case when it really wasn't in any of the others you mentioned.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
In terms of doing stuff to Triss, Cynthia's the worst one on the list.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just killed everyone but Letho. Easy to remember.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

The Sharmat posted:

I guess I just figured trying to kill Triss made it personal in that case when it really wasn't in any of the others you mentioned.

I actually forgot about that. But she probably assumed that Triss likely would have been killed or set free immediately post teleport. Letho wasn't really the rapist type, and he didn't need a hostage + an extra mouth to feed + they would have to keep watch on her.

It was probably an order legitimately meant just to ensure that all the Witchers and scoiatel were killed to the last man. Because they all had dirt on the lodge and one word could ruin all her plans. Pangratt and co are known for capturing and torturing prisoners for long periods of time for information and fun.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I really don't think she would have minded Triss getting knocked off if they chanced upon her, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is it bad that I dont even remember who Cynthia is?

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Bort Bortles posted:

Is it bad that I dont even remember who Cynthia is?

Not really. There are lots of sorceresses.

More content with her was added in the Enhanced Edition.

etjester fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 24, 2014

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I killed letho because I thought that fight is fun. Maybe I'll load a save game and spare him in case w3 has import saves.

Edit: Also that cutscene where you kill him is pretty cool.

I guess killing him is more cinematic and what you would do if it was a movie; while sparing him is the option that would make more sense if you are role playing.

cmykJester fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 24, 2014

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Killing Letho is just pointless at the very end. The damage is already done, killing him won't change anything. Whatever he did it wasn't out of any malice towards Geralt, he even took care of Yennefer for him and rescues Triss if you don't (although it is his fault she needed to be rescued in the first place).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

etjester posted:

Not really. There are lots of sorceresses.

More content with her was added in the Enhanced Edition.

Ah. Thanks. Yeah I only ever completed the game once via Roche's path, and I was a dummy that rushed through the already short act 3 so I may have completely missed her. My second playthrough going Iorveth got derailed by an error created by the EE being released with the siege of Vergen, os I have never seen Act 3 post-EE.

Senjuro posted:

Killing Letho is just pointless at the very end. The damage is already done, killing him won't change anything. Whatever he did it wasn't out of any malice towards Geralt, he even took care of Yennefer for him and rescues Triss if you don't (although it is his fault she needed to be rescued in the first place).

As stated above I only ever did a pre-EE rushed Act 3 (I dont know why I hurried through it), but I kind-of agree in that there is no point in killing him. I wondered what would happen to Triss if you didnt save her, but I saved her because I figured thats what Geralt would do (from by only-played-the-games knowledge of the situation).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 24, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: whoops double post

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Senjuro posted:

Plus he's clearly a competent witcher, so killing him would jeopardise your "people" and gain you nothing but maybe more enemies.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.

Lycus posted:

My guess is that he didn't save before doing the puzzle, and is loading an auto-save at the start of the fight.

But really, I fight these guys with Yrden, so that's the only advice I can offer. Though Yrden-centric fights suck without drinking Tawny Owl.

That would be a good thing to check.

found a save just before the puzzle, used a whetstone, rook and swallow, and tried using yrden to trap him, and still nonstop dying. What is the point of using yrden, if he IMMEDIATELY can charge from it's stun? do you use another sign during his brief stop? or a bomb? As when he's stunned I attempt to charge in for a strong attack, and wind up getting hit and then charged. I honestly feel like the game has become dark souls for me at this point, which im REALLY not digging. This may sound rather lame, but is there any "invincibility mod" or any other alternative so i can just cheat through this fight? I want to see the end of the story, but I can see no way how I am supposed to fight a monster that counters my every move, and can easily kill me.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
hah, Ironic. after posting, I finally dropped him! quen seemed to be the right sign for this guy! :D

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yrden has a chance all the way through the game not to trap the big enemies (from the Endrega Queen, to Letho, the Draug, to the Elemental). You just need to do it over and over until it works, basically.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
You have to kill Letho otherwise hes going to live out the rest of his days thinking hes a better fighter than you and we cant have that :colbert: plus I promised my bro Roach I'd take care of things.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Senjuro posted:

On the other hand he beat me in a cutscene, and nobody pulls that poo poo and lives.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

SpRahl posted:

You have to kill Letho otherwise hes going to live out the rest of his days thinking hes a better fighter than you and we cant have that :colbert: plus I promised my bro Roach I'd take care of things.

I literally did not realize that Roche was named after Geralt's horse until I read your typo.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Senjuro posted:

He killed brotest, suffer not the killer of bro's.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Crigit posted:

I literally did not realize that Roche was named after Geralt's horse until I read your typo.

It's a metaphor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had to kill Letho because anyone whose stupid enough to be tricked into killing two kings and completely destroying any unity in the northern kingdoms on an empty promise, is not someone I want to be keeping around.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair he also made it pretty clear that he's a fan of the Emperor, so he's probably not opposed to Nilfgaard taking over anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bort Bortles posted:

Ah. Thanks. Yeah I only ever completed the game once via Roche's path, and I was a dummy that rushed through the already short act 3 so I may have completely missed her. My second playthrough going Iorveth got derailed by an error created by the EE being released with the siege of Vergen, os I have never seen Act 3 post-EE.
She's only a character that you meet on Iorveth's Path, and her on-screen presence was extremely minor pre-EE. So yeah, you probably wouldn't remember her too well.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Gaius Marius posted:

I had to kill Letho because anyone whose stupid enough to be tricked into killing two kings and completely destroying any unity in the northern kingdoms on an empty promise, is not someone I want to be keeping around.

I really doubt he had the option to refuse the job even if he wanted to.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They could've disappeared into the North after they were released, but I figure that they decided that reviving their school was worth the risk of trusting the Emperor.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm sure Letho had handlers keeping some kind of tabs on him before he offed any kings. I mean someone had to give him that flawed diamond for Sile's megascope.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I'm sure Letho had handlers keeping some kind of tabs on him before he offed any kings. I mean someone had to give him that flawed diamond for Sile's megascope.

The diamond thing doesn't require handlers though, since he goes to the Nilfgaardian camp when gets to Loc Muinne.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Still, can't imagine they gave him no oversight at the start.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Still, can't imagine they gave him no oversight at the start.

Isn't the school of the vipers whole thing being stealthy sneakmasters? And are you implying that Letho, an incredibly driven and skilled individual, backed up by at least two accomplices and operating in an area incredibly hostile to the Nilfgaardians, couldn't of found some way out of any deal he made with the empire? Because I'm pretty sure he could've just ran. Hell if he'd been smarter he could've told Foltest the empires plan and used that as leverage to restart his school in the north. Assuiming of course that Nilfgaard didn't win anyways.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I dunno. Nilfgaard's intelligence service is pretty good. Crossing them would be pretty dangerous. Also they sort of had a hostage in Yennefer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I dunno. Nilfgaard's intelligence service is pretty good. Crossing them would be pretty dangerous. Also they sort of had a hostage in Yennefer.

Did Letho still give a poo poo about Yennefer after Geralt was gone? I don't know man, this story is too dense I can't remember half the things that happened and half the characters motivations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Gaius Marius posted:

Did Letho still give a poo poo about Yennefer after Geralt was gone? I don't know man, this story is too dense I can't remember half the things that happened and half the characters motivations.

He specifically went out of his way to bail her out of trouble constantly. It's how they got caught.

Time for a replay for you, I think. The game's well worth it.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I let Letho go because essentially he was right. He wasn't Geralt's enemy and it was Geralt's fault to let himself entangled in Northern politics. The game repeatedly bashes you in the head that Geralt has no place in the noble's world. He is no hero and the more he tries to be one, the worse it gets for everyone around him.

Killing an old friend for some naive sense of justice achieves nothing and it felt too much after all the bloodshed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The whole reason Foltest died was that Letho decided to get involved in politics.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

The whole reason Foltest died was that Letho decided to get involved in politics.

And why should Geralt care? What does he owe to Foltest?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
And the reason Geralt was blamed was that he was somewhere he shouldn't be. They're both meddling in domains that Witchers traditionally stay out of.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If anything foltest owes Geralt, where are my thousands of Orens that he promised me in the witcher 1? I started 2 with only like 250.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

fspades posted:

And why should Geralt care? What does he owe to Foltest?
Probably nothing, but helping out a king as his bodyguard for a while is hardly at the same scale as assassinating several foreign heads of state to pave the way for an invasion as far as "getting involved in politics" goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The La Valettes might feel differently about that

• Locked thread