Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

TWSS posted:

Is there a reason you recommend this over the black rtv? I only started learning about cars in the past year so I'm just curious.

Black is more difficult to remove. If it absolutely positively has to seal and its a nightmare to reach said item, use black. Be ready to scrape for a long time when you do go back though.

Gray works just fine and peels right off.

Rhyno posted:

I dug through my poo poo, I don't have any old harness bits (this is all new to me) but I do have several audio harnesses. You think that would be the same? If not I can make a JY run tomorrow.

I wouldn't count on it. There are a lot of similar but different honda pins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Hondabond will also supposedly not clog oil passageways and pickups if you use too much.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Why do you have to live in the middle of nowhere. I'm heading to Chicago from KY and it's way too far to drop in and ask if you have stairs in your house.

If you come to Chicago this weekend I'll buy you a beer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Why do you have to live in the middle of nowhere. I'm heading to Chicago from KY and it's way too far to drop in and ask if you have stairs in your house.

If you come to Chicago this weekend I'll buy you a beer.

drat it, I got poo poo to do this weekend!

What the hell are you doing on this half of the continent anyways?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Rhyno posted:

drat it, I got poo poo to do this weekend!

What the hell are you doing on this half of the continent anyways?

Mini vacation and a pharmacy education seminar this weekend in Chicago. We are about an hour out of Indy toward Chicago and will be up there until Monday morning.

Any recommendations on awesome eats or fun poo poo to do while I'm there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Mini vacation and a pharmacy education seminar this weekend in Chicago. We are about an hour out of Indy toward Chicago and will be up there until Monday morning.

Any recommendations on awesome eats or fun poo poo to do while I'm there?

Portillo's. Oh my god do you have to eat there. I've never heard a single complaint from anyone I've sent that way.

If you have time you need to hit the Museum of Science and Industry, I still love going there. It is a little time consuming though.

If you've never been to the city you should check out Willis (Sears) tower and walk out into the glass box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So that loving Beetle might have blown it's head gasket. I'm over it, I'm over her crying about the car. Her credit is in the toilet, I still have a loan for the Miata. I have worked out a deal with my very gracious mother where I will give the Civic to them when it's finished and Mom will buy a new car for my lady out of the money my Grandmother left behind.

So I'll still get to to tinker with the Civic here and there and it will end up netting us a HUGE return in our favor.

Edit: this means I'm probably not doing the suspension, just brakes and the wrap in whatever color they choose.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 24, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You are going to end up with a gifted-to-you PT Cruiser. I wouldn't ask for a specific vehicle, but make sure you have veto power. Make it clear that your veto is NOT based on price, but rather on quality and maintainability of the chosen vehicle, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

You are going to end up with a gifted-to-you PT Cruiser. I wouldn't ask for a specific vehicle, but make sure you have veto power. Make it clear that your veto is NOT based on price, but rather on quality and maintainability of the chosen vehicle, too.

Mom suggested a brand new Civic.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rhyno posted:

Mom suggested a brand new Civic.

Then drop a turbo K24 in it :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm going to post in the proper thread but what's the most bang for the buck efficient car we can buy right now?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Off the top of my head, probably either a Prius or some flavor of electric car like the Leaf (dunno if that would work for your needs, though).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

Off the top of my head, probably either a Prius or some flavor of electric car like the Leaf (dunno if that would work for your needs, though).

My mother is a Honda fangirl so she's pushing Civic Hybrids and the Cr-Z. I just want to get the most reliable car for the money. Hyundai has the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and the local Hyundai dealer has a promotion where they "double" that. I just want a car that won't be a headache week after week like the loving Beetle has been.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Buy a Yaris and then totally forget about it because it will never need anything ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8ender posted:

Buy a Yaris and then totally forget about it because it will never need anything ever.

Local options are total poo poo and yes, this car is going to be purchased locally. Flying out to another state is not an option as one of the requirements is my mother wants to see the car in person before she drops the cash.

The (only) local Honda dealer has a Certified Used 2012 Civic LX with 17k miles for $16,000, doesn't look like a terrible deal based on similar cars on Craigslist.
http://www.donayreshonda.net/detail-2012-honda-civic_sedan-lx-used-12364045.html

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mazda 3 without question

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The current Honda lineup is an outdated, phoned-in shitshow. Go Mazda 2/3, Ford Focus/Fiesta, or a Kia Forte, all of them are better than any of the current Hondas, and are the same price or cheaper for the same options.

If you hands-down want the most efficient car, get a 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta. ~130 horsepower, 45 mpg, and cheap because it's not a hybrid.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What's your (mother's) budget going to be? I'd pick up a Volt if you went the hybrid route, personally. A buddy bought a used yaris with low miles for his girlfriend recently and has already replaced the transmission and a bunch of other little poo poo. It was an 09 and out of warranty so it was kind of surprising.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Honda fits are rad. Also scions are all gussied up corollas (well most of them) and are awesomely reliable.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
No turbo, manual windows and locks. Basically the most stripped down car will be ultra reliable, just due to the fact of less poo poo to break. (Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The stupid poverty-spec Nissan Versa we had when my wife's Juke was in for recall service had not had its trip computer set for a long, long time (if it ever had been at all). Even in rental service, it's long-term average was 38.4 mpg. With a couple days of binary throttle (and A/C on), it dropped to 38.3mpg.

It was a shithole of a dog of a car, but it sipped gas.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

The current Honda lineup is an outdated, phoned-in shitshow. Go Mazda 2/3, Ford Focus/Fiesta, or a Kia Forte, all of them are better than any of the current Hondas, and are the same price or cheaper for the same options.

If you hands-down want the most efficient car, get a 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta. ~130 horsepower, 45 mpg, and cheap because it's not a hybrid.

Honestly, I still like the Fit, though I have no idea what the current generation is like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Is the 1.0 new this year? I haven't looked at anything outside of Mazda's lineup this year.

Larrymer posted:

What's your (mother's) budget going to be? I'd pick up a Volt if you went the hybrid route, personally. A buddy bought a used yaris with low miles for his girlfriend recently and has already replaced the transmission and a bunch of other little poo poo. It was an 09 and out of warranty so it was kind of surprising.

Mom is kind of nuts and would probably buy an over-specced model just because she likes Hondas so much. I want to keep it under $15K if possible. She's not exactly hurting for money but she wont have a pension from her job and needs what she has for her retirement.

Edit: Not a single Fiesta Ecoboost in town.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 25, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Then politely refuse all but $1-2k, and introduce your other half to the wonderful world of "choosing a mechanically sound car even if the paint's hosed and you think it's dog ugly" and "looking after and maintaining your poo poo so it don't get busted and nasty".

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Not a single Fiesta Ecoboost in town.

Tell the dealer to find one and go get it. They shouldn't balk at dealer trading for one despite there not being a purchase agreement because it's a low risk trade.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, no reason why your local Ford dealer can't bring one in. The Fiesta Ecoboost is the best economy car deal out there right now imo. Your girl can drive a manual, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah, no reason why your local Ford dealer can't bring one in. The Fiesta Ecoboost is the best economy car deal out there right now imo. Your girl can drive a manual, right?

No, she's repeatedly proven incapable of driving manual. I've enlisted numerous people to try and teach her with no success.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

No, she's repeatedly proven incapable of driving manual. I've enlisted numerous people to try and teach her with no success.

Then no 1L Fiesta for you, it's stick-only for now.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
If you're already considering a payment I drove a 5 speed versa like meatpimp is talking about with a 177$ a month payment for 2 years. It got me started in life and I kind of miss it and it's average 35mpg. Driving my CPO Hyundai genesis makes me feel less bad.

side note: If anyone is looking for well built luxury car in the 5 series market for a reasonable cost I got mine for a little less than 21 with 25k miles. It's large and rwd. Hyundai owns.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Who the hell recommends a yaris?
Have you sat in one? Priced one out?

The Toyota tax is retarded on those and the fit and finish is worse than a 90s tercel or early echo.

I would much rather drive a base Rio than that shitbag.

That said, the Ford fiesta and Mazda offerings are on another step higher in quality for the bottom basement segment that they're in. Drive the Hyundai/KIA/dodge/Toyota/Nissan segment competitor then drive the fiesta. The interior is so much nicer, fit and finish is great, and the sound deadening makes it feel like you're in something better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd prefer her to get a 3 if possible, I just don't want to put my mother out for that much money even if she is offering. Cheapest 3's I see on Truecar are $18K.

I know I've said "new" but this jumped out at me
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4532489673.html

quote:

Honda Fit, Less than 5,000 miles, purchased in Muncie summer of 2009, driven by an elderly lady to church, hairdresser, and grocery store. No longer comfortable driving. Excellent condition inside and out. New battery.
ASKING PRICE 13,500 N.A.D.A. value $14,650

Less than 5000 miles?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 25, 2014

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'd prefer her to get a 3 if possible, I just don't want to put my mother out for that much money even if she is offering. Cheapest 3's I see on Truecar are $18K.

Less than 5000 miles?

gently caress buying a 5 year old car that hasn't been driven. I had an issue with that, did not enjoy....

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, a thousand miles per year is bad news once you start driving it regularly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I really like my Chevy Sonic with the 1.4L turbo. It's a decently fun little car that I think is best in it's segment for what I was looking for. I'd at least give it a test drive if nothing else. I wish it was a little larger but I've never really needed a huge car. The passenger compartment is decent enough for people to sit in the back fairly comfortably, too. It just has a tiny cargo area.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Less than 5000 miles?

Offer 10 and use the saved 3.5 to make it into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwRiPF_Qpcc&t=576s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

I really like my Chevy Sonic with the 1.4L turbo. It's a decently fun little car that I think is best in it's segment for what I was looking for. I'd at least give it a test drive if nothing else. I wish it was a little larger but I've never really needed a huge car. The passenger compartment is decent enough for people to sit in the back fairly comfortably, too. It just has a tiny cargo area.

MSRP?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ, do not buy a slightly used economy car the questionable savings isn't worth it. Wait for the new Mazda 2 to come out and get one of those since you can't teach your woman how to drive a manual. The new Mazda 2 is going to kick the poo poo out of every economy car there is, it would be worth the wait.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Jesus Christ, do not buy a slightly used economy car the questionable savings isn't worth it. Wait for the new Mazda 2 to come out and get one of those since you can't teach your woman how to drive a manual. The new Mazda 2 is going to kick the poo poo out of every economy car there is, it would be worth the wait.

She's probably going to need this car within in a week or I'd wait. The Beetle now has a smokescreen mode.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well you could probably get the current Mazda 2 pretty drat cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skylineboy08 posted:

If you're already considering a payment I drove a 5 speed versa like meatpimp is talking about with a 177$ a month payment for 2 years. It got me started in life and I kind of miss it and it's average 35mpg. Driving my CPO Hyundai genesis makes me feel less bad.

side note: If anyone is looking for well built luxury car in the 5 series market for a reasonable cost I got mine for a little less than 21 with 25k miles. It's large and rwd. Hyundai owns.

But the 2015's coming out! :ohdear:

Just look at it.

Also, some of us live in places with snow and can't use RWD.

Edit: Am I the only one upset that the 5.0 with AWD is only available in Canada? :sigh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2014

• Locked thread